Southern States Employee Reviews

Worst Job Ever
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAAugust 13, 2018
Terrible job, no set schedule, underpaid, worked 6 days a week, commission job that was impossible to meet the minimum. The largest turn over rate that I have ever seen.
Cons
No Health Care, 6 day work weeks
Great place to work and a great learning experience.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 18, 2018
It was a fun place to work and had many great people that i met working there that taught me a lot about life and work that needed to be done there. Everyone was caring and never let anyone go without on breaks. We got payed on our breaks and it was a very fun place to work. I miss it a lot sometimes.
Pros
It was a very fun place to work and I learned a lot there.
Cons
The warehouse had all kinds of cats and opossums from all the dog food and doors left open there.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 21, 2018
Productive & fair place to work. Excellent supervisors. Plant had to close or I would still work for Southern States . There was some favoritism but that happens everywhere . Good place to work .
Pros
Excellent supervisors
Cons
Not many to actually complain about
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 3, 2018
Its was only a summer intern job for me i was in high school still. It was alot of fun learning about different plants. The boss also showed me how they do inventory.
Production
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 29, 2018
The hardest part of the job is the hours (late nights and early mornings) and its hard work. you will be able to get hours. The enjoyed the employees.
Assembly Specialist/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, GAMarch 24, 2018
None. Its a place that helps me provide for my family. There isn't to much I really I have to provide about Southern States. Its a place that provides if your content with a mediocre life.
Pros
Job secruity
Cons
Compensation hourly is low
Great place to work!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, GAMarch 17, 2018
I loved my job at Southern States. Corparate closed many store including the one in which I worked. On any

given day our goal was to meet out Customers needs. I learned much about the agricultural world. The Management was the best I have ever had. The Leadership at Southern States was unbelievable. Continuing Education was a big part of the job, management always available to guide and direct, no matter what the need. I would say the hardest part of the job was to try and anticipate the customers needs before it was needed. The people I worked with were without a doubt the most enjoyable part of the job.
Friendly though Fast Paced
Warehouse and Nursery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 7, 2018
The warehouse position is one that requires one to be on their toes, clock in-to clock out. Great for UNC students, who are high energy-people oriented-and want to learn a thing or two about a nursery production. Look forward to seeing the folks arouund there again.
Pros
Consistent Schedules
Cons
Be prepared for long hours
Fast-paced work place
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Great people to work with in a fast paced environment! The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the wonderful clientele and assisting them to find soultions!
Fun but stressful
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 30, 2018
Come in open up the warehouse, checking aisles for any objects that might slow down or be a danger for employees. Getting employees ready by going through a ten minute stretch of exercises. Making sure that each employee has checked forklifts each and every day. Doing cycle counts and checking stock for damages or leaks. I have learned to receive and relocate stock through computer systems. I have learned the correct way to deal with employees and costumers different attitudes. Employees you work with are like family 8 hours a day 40 hours a week and just like family you love and care for them.
Productive and fast-paced workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 29, 2018
Great upbeat work environment. Most enjoyable part is the wealth of knowledge to be learned about the products there! Customer base is excellent and they are a pleasure to work with! Management is very flexible and will work around your schedule.
Enjoyed working with the public
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYJanuary 25, 2018
I worked for SS two different times. I started as counter help and worked my way up. I went through their manager training program. I was Manager at 3 different locations.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
The ag economy is not very stable
Too much work for too small of a building and too small of a work crew
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJanuary 22, 2018
Small warehouse trying to do more work than it is capable of with too small of a crew. During busy season it's nothing to work 12-14 hours a day with the threat of being fired if you don't hanging over your head. The only saving graces was the benefits which included profit sharing, insurance, dental, vision, 401, and paid vacation.
Friendly environment, learned a lot about any kind of work there
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 3, 2018
Southern States was an excellent work environment. I learned many skills while employed there. Such as how to operate a forklift and many other benefits to later help me in life.
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Oxford, NCJanuary 3, 2018
Southern States is a good company to work for my family has worked there for years. The corporate politics are B.S. The everyday employees are a joy to work with.
hard work for little pay
Truck loader / Order puller (Former Employee) –  Daleville, VADecember 12, 2017
It has been many years since I was employed there but I heard they pay the same even 20 years later ??????? Hard work no heat or A/C and very little time left to spend with family
benefits
Cons
hot and hard work
Working for a Small Company
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 27, 2017
Working at Southern States meant staying busy and multitasking but I loved it. There were so many aspects to my job that it is hard to sum it up in just a few words. Working there was enjoyable and busy enough to keep me from getting bored. I wanted to go to work.
great place and great people
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 7, 2017
it was a great place to work the hours weren't long and the work wasn't strenuous. even when had to work over you felt appreciated at all times and the pay was decent.
Pros
overall great place
Cons
never got to do job by self because of training taken to long.
Great Customers
Customer Service Associate, Full Time (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 3, 2017
Worked 6 days a week only had Sundays off because we were closed. Kept under 40 hours so we were not required to have Vacation, Sick Time or benefits.
productive
Assembly technician/fabricator (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GAOctober 3, 2017
its a good place to work.its still a little divided it there between blacks and whites but the chance for growth is there but its who you know not how you work...