Southland Industries Inc. Employee Reviews

I didn’t want to leave
VDC Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 10, 2019
I only left Southland because of management changes stopped my advancement. Large projects and teams were great to work with. When management started to shift and move things around, things that were promised to me were no longer on the table. My career path stopped. Southland is a great company to work for though
Great job poor management
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 29, 2019
If I would recommend new management. And listen to your services needed cause so management only care about there selves. My life is more important to my kids.
Pros
Cons
Trashy staff
Project Coordinator / Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJuly 16, 2019
I was on a project in Inwood, WV, very busy in the beginning but once the project got closer to the end of completion then they started laying off. This was a career change for me but I learned a lot and enjoyed it. I was looking forward to learning more and moving up with the company as I learned a lot in the short amount of time that I was employed with the company.
Long hours, long weeks
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 12, 2019
The company is great unless you are assigned to the Intel jobsite in Chandler. It's a another world out there, and a very toxic & hostile environment. Union workers are snowflakes. Intel wants extreme safety but pushes workers to work a 10 hour workday, 6 days a week which makes for fatigued workers, who don't care and make lots of mistakes. Including unsafe mistakes.
There are too many managers who have control in the wrong areas, and not enough control in more critical areas.
Safety reports to production, what's wrong with that?
The company has grown to fast in this area to have good controls in place.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Toxic work environment
Great Company
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 17, 2019
It's a company that is growing quickly. Which means the ability to move up very quickly if you are wanting to advance int the company. The management team is great to work for.
Great
Journeyman Plumber (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAMay 20, 2019
Southland is a awesome company. It is a Union company that deals with Commercial plumbing, gas fitting, hvac, and sheet metal. I worked there for 2 years
It was just a Job
CA (Former Employee) –  CAFebruary 24, 2019
I'm am a retired Sheet metal worker. I have worked for many sheet metal shops. I got into the trade when I was 20 yrs. old
The last company I worked for, before I retired Southland Industries. they were a very tight nit company. It was hard to be excepted into the "group" of sheet metal workers.
I have worked for many different sheet metal companies throughout
the years. I can imagine that I would have been still in the trade, sooner or later I would have retired anyway.
The work that I did was extremely physical and competitive. Lifting heavy weights while climbing ladders was normal. There were also,
schedules to be accomplished. Time means money, so there was no room for error.
Pros
wages
Cons
By far, tops in the field.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Awesome place to work! The innovation of Southland Industries is pre-packaged and prefab construction BIM. They are amazingly technically Savvy and some of the brightest Minds in the industry. Case in point, when the Pentagon got hit Southland Industries was called in to repair the Pentagon. SI is a really great trustworthy company. And they are the best. Anytime a government entity will hire a contractor of any sort they always choose the best. And Southland Industries is by far Head and Shoulders above any other competitor in their industry.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Can't think of any
Great Company to work for!
Sprinkler Fitter (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 10, 2019
Worked for Southland for quite some time and I love this company. The foreman and superintendent are superb. They are understanding and down to earth. Would recommend Southland to any sheet metal, plumber, steam fitter, or sprinkler Fitter.
Pros
Very Safe Company, Great Bosses, fun co workers.
Cons
Tiring labor intensive job
Descent pay but job description and hours may vary
Safety Coordinator 1 (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJanuary 7, 2019
Working for Southland has been a learning experience. When I was hired, it was described as working a 40 hour work week and having a flexible schedule. After being assigned, hours increased and pay stayed the same. Company is growing and they are very frugal, which makes bonuses small even though company is very successful.
Pros
Work Location
Cons
Small pay increases, small bonuses, lack of management support
A great place
Employee (Former Employee) –  USANovember 20, 2018
First off, the CEO is a very awesome person; He's definitely one of the nicest and smartest guys I've ever met. Upper management, for the most part, is pretty spectacular. Unfortunately, there was one particular individual who my team reported to at the time who was exceptionally difficult to report to, thus most of my motivation to move on.

The office culture is spectacular, awesome holiday events, corn hole tournaments, free coffee and everyone here is pretty smart and laid back.

The benefits that the company offers (such as 401k match up to the FEDERAL LIMIT) has never been beaten in any other company I've gone to work for. The base pay was very competitive at the time, but my experience simply outgrew the salary band. This is a huge compliment to Southland, who really allows/pushes you to grow your skills- thus marketability. Has I not been so aggressive on growing my career, I could have easily carved out enough growth to stay at the company for life.
Pros
Free Coffee, awesome holiday events, cool atmosphere, cool people
Cons
Salary band issues for some
Fun and productive most the time busy
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 20, 2018
Southland was a great company to work for always got my 40 hours and great people to work with it was fast past work but had its slow point on your feet for at least 8 hours a day
Pros
Great people enjoy being at work
Cons
We ran out of work
my very first union shop
Plumbing Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CASeptember 20, 2018
I learned a lot from this shop I did more pipefitting than plumbing and trust me when I say that there's a big difference in plumbing in opposed to pipefitting
Pros
learned alot
Cons
hard work
Liked my supervisors alot
Journeyman Plumber (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 5, 2018
Safety is the number 1 priority while working for Southland industries. I enjoyed the company I had while working and never had a problem with anyone.
Very safety conscience, safety training is big. Plans change rapidly.
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 26, 2018
Prep area and materials, like assembling duct, and using lifts to place. All new employees go through safety training. People commonly use radio to communicate and prioritize the day plan.
Sometimes plans aren’t updated as quickly as they should be and worker most go over the same area.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Need better communication between different workers
Not a good time to join
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMarch 22, 2018
Not sure where Southland SoCal went off the rails, but as of the last two years or so, the division has taken a severe nose dive considering lack of work/projects, low morale, and constant turnover. Used to be a great division, has since changed dramatically in last year or so. Overall, not sure if I'd recommend to anyone to join right now until they solidify their management team as this has changed quite a bit too.
Pros
Compensation Package
Cons
Tough work environment in every dept (engineering, It, proj management)
Commercial plumbing
Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 19, 2018
Southland is a union plumbing contractor. They have lots of work. They have many jobsites in progress at the same time. I'm sure they'll be around for years to come.
Growing organization with great projects
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 12, 2018
Southland is a great mechanical and plumbing contractor and engineering firm. They are innovative and are making a significant impact in the design build markets across the US.
Pros
Stability and growth
Cons
Young management & long hours
Collaborative Work Place. Growing and always room for improvement.
Safety (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 5, 2018
The company overall is a great place to work. There are always challenges, but with team effort and voice of opinion this company can and will thrive. They are still in stages of applying a great safety culture. This can become effective and applied throughout the company, but some difficulties within divisions and structure the company is as a whole does not have a baseline of uniformity making each division different along with their structure.
Overall an excellent company where if accepted and applied, it can be an excellent company reflecting Safety and best practices for all.
Great Place to work, great enviroment busy
Sheet Metal Worker (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Great Place to work, great enviroment busy lots of work great staff and management. lots of overtime great work crew and staff. Pleasure to work with the Southland team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Industries Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.