Southside Community Services Board Employee Reviews

Love Southside
Emergency Services Access Clinician (Current Employee) –  Mecklenburg and BrunswickMarch 2, 2019
I just started here and I love it. Everyone is so nice, my pay is good, and the agency is well organized. I like the benefits and how fairly I am treated. My supervisors are nice, too. I am really happy I took this job. The executive director is friendly, accessible and cares about the clients and staff. I have been doing crisis for 15 years and this agency is the best I have seen.
Pros
Stay at home until I get a crisis call, salary, benefits, coworkers.
Cons
Far from where I live and I don’t want to move
Community Support Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Boston, VAMay 23, 2018
As a Day Support Worker with Southside Community Services I have the chance to interact with people daily. I have gain a lot of knowledge of the human service field. I enjoy helping those who are less fortunate than I am.
Limited Team building
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, VAApril 18, 2018
Limited potential for advancement, or learning. Limited funding to participate in training and locating resources. Enjoyed the families I worked with. Lack of consistent management.
Pros
Work independently
Cons
No professionalism Administrative
Good business to help disadvantaged
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VAApril 12, 2018
Enjoyed working at Community Services Board which helps the disadvantaged in three counties (Halifax, Mecklenburg, and Brunswick). Great job and benefits.
Stressful and frustrating
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, VAJanuary 13, 2018
The hours aren't that bad and the compensation is good; however the direct supervisor is terrible and mircomanages. There is a lack of care for clients and always pushing the bottom line. The environment feels stressful, unpleasant, and not collaborative.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful workplace, not a team feeling
Not a fun place
Obra worker/ direct support professional (Former Employee) –  South Hill, VAJune 6, 2017
Southside is very stressful. All the employees would do whatever it takes for u to loose your job. They never have any full time positions open so with part time u have no benefits or any hours.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No benefits and short lunch break
It's a job
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  South Boston, VAApril 19, 2017
Southside used to be a place more concerned with it's clients than the bottom line but with new management, restructuring and new goals, all that's driving it is making money. The fallout from this is that the consumers suffer, staff moral is low and the turn over is extremely high. They will be able to attract new staff because times are hard and people need to work but once they figure out what is really going on here, they will run for the hills.
Many changes
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, VAOctober 28, 2016
Whole place went through a lot of change in management but they do try to focus on the needs of the people in the community. Need better pay and benefits for staff.
Pros
staff cares
Cons
lots of management changes
Day Support Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Boston, VAJuly 6, 2016
A friendly environment to work at. Great co-workers and the benefits are good also. Most enjoyable part is helping the clients.
Okay
Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VASeptember 18, 2014
Connecting with patients can be very rewarding. Involves a lot of travelling and coordination
Pros
Calm & flexible
Cons
Poor compensation