Southside Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
nun good to say
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 29, 2018
it is not a good place to work , don't care to much about the workers they just want you to work with little pay. never have anybody to work or cover the shifts!!!!
srmc was a great company to work for
Medical Office Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 29, 2018
working at srmc i had the opportunity to advance my medical career. they offer the chance to change your career path and not be held to just one career.
Great Teamwork
ICU - RN, CBN (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 28, 2018
There are a lot of different positions for a nurse at SRMC and most of the floors I worked on were similar in that you knew you could count on your co-workers to help you out. There was a lot of teamwork at this hospital and we treated each other like a second family. I still keep in touch with many of the people I used to work with.
This palce is all about money
Lead Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 19, 2018
SRMC only cares about the bottom line. They do not care about patient care, or employee satisfaction. The more you do the less they value you, the managers dump there work on to you while they go play golf every day.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor managment
ok to work for
RN Staff Nurse Newborn/NICU (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 6, 2018
12 hr work day that could be very busy at times. Management lacks communication. Nothing is the same from 1 day to the next. Things change without always being made aware.
Home Bred Management
Faculty/School of Nursing, Newborn Nursery, NICU (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 27, 2018
Nursing management attended SRMC Professional Schools, got hired on the hospital side and never left. They were promoted because of their stick with and are buying their time until retirement. There is NO room for advancement and staff in many cases is more qualified then their managers. It is a sad situation particularly because they are not open to change. The phrase at SRMC is..."that is the way we always do it".
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management and Admin
I loved working for SSRMC
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 14, 2018
I was able to learn a lot of new and different things over the years I was with them and I would recommend them to anyone the staff is very supportive
I enjoy working in my field of Medical....
Unit Secretary ICU (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 5, 2017
On a typical day it would be very busy coming into shift change. I would be stressful at times but continue to maintain organization. I learned that if everybody play their part in team working things could go much smoother for everyone (including the doctors). Management was very good at realizing how much of a difference I made when I was there. The hardest part of the job is watching a family morn and weep after the lost of their loved one. The most enjoyable part of the job was to discharge a patient out of ICU in a better state than they were.
Pros
Discounts, earned meal tickets, great health benefits, good pay, rewards and recognition
Cons
After everything went computer hours went PRN
Very relaxed and caring environment in which to work.
volunteer chaplain (Former Employee) –  200 Medical Park Blvd. Petersburg, VA 23805November 2, 2017
I provided spiritual encouragement per the patient request. Documented the date, time, and the patients concerns and filed it in the log book. I learned that I needed to decompress and to take time care myself in order to have the where with all to assist others. A lot of the chaplaincy duties were delegated to volunteer chaplains which provided a valuable learning experience for those scheduled or on call. The culture in the workplace was very positive and professional when interacting with patients and staff. The most difficult part of the position was being called at night to give last rites and not arriving before the patients transition. The most enjoyable aspect of the position was seeing patient being relieved from the hospital after a difficult and challenge ordeal.
Pros
Nurses kept the chaplains informed as to the patient's wellbeing.
Cons
Being on call on my days off.
i love my jpb
Patient Sitter (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 16, 2017
its a very laid back and friendly atmosphere. boss communicates well and is very understanding . the nursing (rn) staff has been very helpful in interacting with us in meeting clients needs.
Productive, Fast paced
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 14, 2017
As a secretary/receptionist the day went by fast. Patients were in for appointments until the end of the workday. The hours were good. The staff was friendly.
Pros
Healthcare/good pay
Cons
Short breaks
Don't want here if you believe in collaborative care
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 13, 2017
This is where doctors go to die. I watched many patients decompensate over night because doctors refused to return pages. They don't care at this place.
Pros
I worked with a few good staff
Cons
Doctors really do not care about the patient
Chaotic, mismanaged, cut throat
CRNA (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 4, 2017
I've rarely seen such lack of leadership and communication. There is constant chaos, upheaval, and back stabbing behaviours. They also were not empathetic to having to ask for time off during an illness. They will smile in your face while reaching around and stabbing you in the back.
Pros
Few
Cons
Mentioned above
Teamwork
ICU Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 2, 2017
The teamwork at SRMC on my shift is great. It is one of the reasons why I am still an employee there. I have also learned a lot of critical thinking skills while being an employee there and it is another reason why I appreciate working at the hospital.
Work Life
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 26, 2017
Southside Regional is the worst place any person could possibly work. Most employees are over worked, under paid and departments are under staffed. This made working for this company an absolute nightmare.
Pros
Cons
Almost Everything
Patient-centered staff with a wealth of experience
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 30, 2017
This is the only experience that I have as a Pharmacy Technician, so I cannot fairly compare it to any other employer. But I did enjoy my time there, and felt that my co-workers often went above and beyond the call of duty to deliver great patient care.
They had very good staff, but management did not seem to value their employees
LPN (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 7, 2017
A lot of times there was a lack of communication between staff and management/supervisor. Which made the day stress. The hardest part of the job was time management. The great thing about the job was the employees.
Fast pace
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 6, 2017
Fast pace worked most days in ED, team work was a must. some days overwhelming. learned a lot while employed there, the different types of labs, diverse population.
Pros
You leraned alot
Cons
Short staff
A good job
Chief Technician of Hemodialysis (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 23, 2017
My experience at SRMC was during the transition from the old building to the new. There were many management changes, and many problems arised from these abrupt changes.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Multiple management Changes
Southside
Sterile Processing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 17, 2017
Working in a very fast paced environment. There is a lot to do. I think they should pay more. This job is critical for surgery and the well being of the patients. They should pay more. The people who work there are hard workers and very quick. No time to really sit around. Always something to do.
Pros
Not enough pay
Cons
having to take call