Southside VA Training Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great state agency to work.
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 13, 2017
State agency was excellent people who cared for others who were limited in caring for themselves. As part of staff in handling administrative duties I found the agency fun to work.
Pros
Great agency.
Cons
Productive a good place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 16, 2014
A very enjoyable one working with the individual, the coworkers were a joy getting the job done as a team and the hardepart of the day was when there was a crisis and the team for one reason or another had become broken.Otherwise a very good place to work.
Pros
Good insurance package
Cons
Having to stay over when others called in in bad weather
Very Nice people
Direct Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 7, 2014
I loved my individuals that I worked with. They began to be a little difficult but after you got to know them they were very sweet. The people worked in teams and were very helpful and I am going to miss them all.
Pros
work trips and activities
Cons
working lots of overtime
Work with those who will capture your heart!!!!!
DSA2(Direct Support Associate) (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 14, 2014
If you like helping people this is a job for you. When working with these individuals, you would grow to love them. I know i loved going to work and knowing I was helping somebody out. These associates might not be able to do all the things that you and I can, but they have their own unique way of doing things. Also you and your co-workers become like a family, yall spend so much time together you will grow to love them. I know I did.
It was a challenge but as the years went by I adjusted, but now I am retired because they closing and they offered me a package.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VANovember 18, 2013
A typical day at work would be doing the same things every day but making beds on weekends and Holidays.
What I learned was how to work smart and not hard.
Management was okay you just have to know what they require of you to be done.
The hardest part of the job was when I first started I did not know how to run a buffer, but after training I caught on in one week.
The most enjoyable part was when the supervisors would give you more than 30 minutes to eat your lunch on certain occasions.
Pros
Housekeeping week.
Cons
medicaid on grounds more work.
loved working with the individuals
LPN (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 29, 2013
When I went to the traing center. I wanted to get into a different type of nursing/ tired of the correctional jobs. So when I got to SVCC I felt like I had really found my calling. I so enjoy working with my individuals. I feel like I did make a difference in their life.
Pros
I got a chance to work, teach, and laugh with the individuals
Cons
I got laid off the job will be closing down by 2014
Recreation Therapist Senior
Recreation Therapist Senior (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 15, 2012
Plan, direct, and coordinated medically-approved recreation programs for patients in a hospital or institution. Activities include sports, trips, dramatics, social activities, and arts and crafts. Assess a patient’s condition and recommend appropriate recreational activities. Conduct therapy sessions to improve patients’ mental and physical well-being. This position was also responsible for evaluating the skills, abilities and interests of individuals to determine their individual/therapeutic recreational needs. Provide case management services including counseling, guidance, and training. Knowledge of human behaviors and performance, individuals’ differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation, psychological research methods, and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects. Develop and supervise the implementation of therapeutic and individualized recreation outcome based plans; vocational rehabilitation counseling; providing opportunities for individuals to participate in activities on and off campus; coordinating welfare budget and PFA expenditures for ordering and securing therapeutic and age appropriate materials and equipment for programs and activities; serving as a member of the Interdisciplinary Team for assigned individuals. Confer with members of treatment team to plan and evaluate therapy programs. Counsel and encourage patients to develop leisure activities.  more... Develop treatment plan to meet needs of patient, based on needs assessment, patient interests and objectives of therapy. Geriatric and supportive adult population. Annual staffing to evaluate progress and services provided to individuals. I am also a part of an Interdisciplinary Team that meets every month to discuss the progress of each individual. Each professional (OT, PT, RTS, RN, QMRP, Behavior Specialist and Social Worker) prepares a report that discuss the individuals’ progress, employment, needs, and desires. I had a caseload of 56 individuals, in which, I implemented programs, outings, and activities every other week. *Accomplishment: Most individuals enjoying recreational activities served or rendered, and participation increase.  less
Pros
caseload of 56 individuals.
Cons
healthcare was super.
sounds good on paper.
DSA (Current Employee) –  Dinwiddie, VaOctober 5, 2012
This is one of the worst jobs I've ever held. This place is poorly managed and the residents that live there could've done a better job of running it. The paper-pushers could care less about their staff (even though we do the bulk of the work). We are talked to and talked about any kind of way, yet they are wondering why so many are running for the exit. This is a stressful place to work...definitely not for the faint of heart. When I first started working there I genuinely liked the job...of course there were many inconsistencies and idiotic house rules but I could manage that. Ever since they announced the closure of the facility...it's like people went postal and really started showing their behinds. A typical day would be to program the residents (something they aren't even capable of or willing to do), assist with feeding, bathe them, then put them to do bed. Now let's see...I've covered management and their micro-managing, slave-overseer, okie-dokie yessa boss masta attitudes. Some of the staff/aides are no better. All they do is gossip and perpetrate and throw your behind up under the bus should something go wrong (as if the supervisors doing that wasn't enough) Be weary of who you associate with! Don't go in there being too nice or sweet because they'll eat you up and think you're a joke. So make sure when they bark...you BITE...HARD. You would think that people would be a little more appreciative being that facility is losing staff FAST. The hardest part of the job is setting aside your issues for the greater good. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the residents  more... smile. By reading this you may think I'm just the typical angry employee with terrible attitude and that I don't have much going on. Wrong. I'm an employee that's watched this facility fall apart at the seams and quite frankly I'm tired, over-worked and I dread going in to work...EVERDAY no matter how much of a positive attitude I try to have. And it's not just me.  less
Pros
great fringe benefits
Cons
crazy staff, low pay, double shifts
very productive workplace
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 30, 2012
I have gained morals and I value my job at SVTC . From my eight years of service I have learned how take care individuals who cant take care themselves. I love being able to be there for their needs.
ok
Food Service Tech I (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 27, 2012
Its a fairly easy job its steady pace its just the people that you work with.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks