Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Excellent working conditions. Good with benefits.
Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2018
Good conditions, excellent community, . Hard to not be over come with many mant clients up to date with current global information. Excellent training for employees. Good travel opportunities.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Professional, fun and inviting place to work.
Release Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 16, 2018
Enjoyed my time at SWA. The people were friendly, kind and helpful. it was a fun atmosphere. Leadership was informative supportive and fair. They don't take themselves too seriously which makes for a great corporate culture.
Pros
Laid back dress code, office environment, corporate culture
Cons
drive to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 13, 2018
Good place to work great hours great pay good people nice environment . Nothing to hard . Fast paced . Can and will move up in the company if you apply yourself .
Pros
Fast paced
Benefits
Various Culture committees are available and employees are encouraged find their fit and join.....It's free.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 12, 2018
Most departments strive really hard to maintain the SWA culture. You can make a new friend everyday if you really want to. The Headquarter campus is set up in a comfortable modern design which is very pretty and well maintained.
Pros
You will always see someone laughing or smiling
Cons
Promotions and career advancements are not fair
Incredible company
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  HoustonOctober 10, 2018
They treat their employees like their favorite family. Best union contract in the industry, unprecedented benefits package, flight privileges and 401k matching
work place
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2018
from day one they are welcoming to everyone that comes through the door. Days are hectic sometimes just due to the nature of time constraints along with weather. Overall the co workers make it worth it
Great Place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE RAMP AGENT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 10, 2018
Although I had to resign from this company for personal reasons, This will always be my most favorite place to work. There is such a melting pot of different people with different backgrounds. How could you not enjoy it.
Fun Place to work
Customer Service Agent & Trainer and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 10, 2018
Fun place to work but you always need to be on your toes not to make any mistakes.When the tell you have overtime you can't denied it or you will get a point reach 9 and you are done.
benefits
Cons
Always minutes away from a write up!
Above the Wing (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2018
This company brags that it has never had "Lay-offs" and is such a desired company to work for.....You never have to lay people off when you constantly fire everyone for every little thing and the awesome place to work is a brilliant marketing strategy to make sure there is always someone to replace you!
Pros
All the hours you can handle
Cons
under paid, over worked, expensive benefits, have to pay to park in parking lot, forced to work days off or you are written up, horrible "sweatshop" style work environment
Productive and fun workplace but very cut throat.
Aircraft Appearance Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2018
Detailed interior and exterior of airplanes, learned more about aircraft parts and functions, bad management, job was quite relaxed and not hard, free flight benefits and other great benefits.
Pros
Free food and drinks, raffles, free travel, great benefits.
Cons
Bad management
Brief, but memorable.
Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 6, 2018
I worked at Southwest briefly, in the end, the position was not for me. In this brief period, I was able to see that Southwest is a fantastic compay with a great culture. I would go back to work there, as a Ramp Agent/Lead, if I could.
Pros
Great culture.
Cons
Union vs Management strife
Best Company to Work For
Lead Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  Several Maintenance BasesOctober 6, 2018
If I had not gotten hurt I would still be there today. I worked in Aircraft Maintenance where there are people that are exceptional and people that require a little bit of guidance.
If you don’t have pride in your work and a strong work ethic this job is not for you. This job is not handed to you! You have to earn it. After all, you are responsible for the customer’s safety, well-being, comfort, and satisfaction. As well as the trust and safety of your fellow Technicians.
If you pursue this job you will not be disappointed!
Some of the greatest people I have ever worked with or known.
You must learn to balance your home and work life as well.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Some micromanaging
Culture is what everyone says it is!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 6, 2018
The culture at SWA is very much what I expected. There is always something that cultivates networking and culture. The typical work day consists of 2-3 meetings. Regular 1 on 1 sessions with management. Quarterly meetings meeting to review overall health of company and internal teams.
at time I worked, one of BEST companies ever!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 6, 2018
prior to 9/11/01, it was the best company ever to work for, part or full time. then things changed. I believe it is back to being a good company again
Pros
were allowed to trade work shifts with co workers, could earn free flights and trade with other airline employees
Cons
unless high seniority, had different work shifts every 3 months
Great company bad department
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San antonioOctober 3, 2018
So im only doing this to help anyone who is looking to apply at southwest as a cs&s and give an honest view of the company . What your going to expect is , awesome training in dallas for a few weeks where u will see how the culture is really great at headquarters. Once training is done you soon realize how different it is from other departments. The call center is very micromanaged your numbers (metrics) have to be on point consistently or you will get coached. Breaks and lunches are short and any overage will be counted against you . Any major weather issue will effect your hours and will most likely be given mandatory overtime. The best part would be that your able to give away shifts if someone is willing to pick it up for you ( mostly for cash). But if you are new your schedule will be evenings and weekends. Team leaders can make or break you . Some will be relaxed and not give you a hard time others will make things difficult and write you up for the smallest things and be sent to a hearing. I didnt like the fact that some workers got away with alot and others had to do everything just right to keep their job . The major downside ,which is why most of my class quit after a year, was there is very limited opportunity for growth . The team leaders dont actively encourage advancement . The main places you would be able to go is either airport which many already have spots filled or headquaters in dallas. So in essence it could take awhile to transfer out if at all . As i mentioned the culture in dallas is phenomenal my only regret is not applying in the beginning to a different  more... department . Free flights is also a perk and it is standby. So all in all if you are looking to apply my advice would be to stay away from the call center (cs&s) try for a different department , save your self some time and stress.  less
Pros
Free flights
Cons
Micromanage, little advancement opportunities
They work hard and play hard
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 2, 2018
I enjoyed working for SWA. Were if not for damaging my wrist, I'd be there today. The pay is low to start with. You can barter to get more hours, but no overtime for those extra hours. There are times where you can volunteer for OT or they sometimes have mandatory OT - that's when you make bank. If I was short of cash, I'd take a portion of someone's shift...that's how you make a living. I worked when I wanted - as long as I worked my schedule first. If you had to take time off - i had food poisoning one time - you do seem to have "consequences" for not being a work. I could not get anyone to take my shift because there is not access to email to notify anyone that would take your shift.
Pros
work as much as you want
Cons
negative consequences if you use your sick leave
Fun and Stressful at Times
Customer Service/Ground Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 2, 2018
The Airline industry has its highs and lows, depends on the time of the year.

During peak seasons it can be hectic, especially when you have Cancellations and Delays during the Winter months.

Passengers can be trying... as they just want to get where their supposed to be. But it can also be fun when you have a group of passengers traveling together. Southwest allows you to be yourself as an Employee.
Pros
Free Travel for you and your immediate Family; Profit Sharing; 401K and Medical
Cons
Bidded Schedule based on Seniority
Typical
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2018
Days are fun and ever changing, at the end of the day you are around a bunch of fun loving folks that will help you in any way necessary. The leadership is their to help you.
Good company
Revenue Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2018
The company has many upsides! Traveling for free is a wonderful benefit. Like most companies, the middle managers are just that... middle management, but with hard work you will soon surpass them.
Extremely Satisfied but sad to have gone
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 1, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Southwest Airlines and was deeply saddened that I had to decide on family or work. I wished that I would have been given a few days of paternity leave, even though I wasn't union at the time. I would go back to Southwest Airlines in a heartbeat but unsure of when that would even take place.
Pros
Family, benefits, travel
Cons
lengthy probabationary phase

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight