Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Found 1,560 reviews matching the search See all 1,568 reviews
Fun and laid back place to work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 17, 2019
Southwest airlines taught me the difference between having a job and having a great career. Not only was it a fun filled job but the benefits such as health insurance and free flights were great.
Pros
Culture, benefits.
Cons
I have no complaints
Excellent company, great benefits. Pay could be better but is standard in the airline industry.
Ramp Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTApril 17, 2019
Very happy working for SWA. Room for advancement, relocation. Flight benefits are excellent. Also discounts on hotels, cruises, car rental etc. Company culture is very inclusive.
Pros
Flight benefits, insurance, advancement opportunity.
Cons
Low starting wages, airline industry inherently stressful.
It was a good company to for work for.
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 16, 2019
Provided friendly telephone communication with external customers maintaining positive rapport by
furnishing fare, schedule, route, flight, and availability information
Finalized sales of Southwest Airlines flights, confirming reservations, and providing information regarding ticket purchases and other special services
Answered customer inquiries regarding flight arrivals, delays, cancellations, flight irregularities, facilities, and other general information
Worked with a cooperative spirit to ensure the success of our company by providing legendary customer
service by determining and recommending service to meet customer needs
Operated a multi-line telephone and computerized reservation system which included video display
terminal and keyboard to book reservations and retrieve flights and schedules information
Creatively transitioned resolution of customer situations and concerns, and instituted conflict management strategies, thus minimizing the requirement for supervisory involvement
Attended ongoing training to remain current and proficient regarding information and equipment pertinent to the job
Pros
Like any job you have good days and bad days.
Excellent Company
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 16, 2019
Excellent Company, Great Benefits, Good pay, Easy training, Great company moral, Very Liberal, Awesome company sponsored conventions, It’s a privilege to work for this company.
Friendly place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 15, 2019
Coworker are friendly and very helpful. The pay was less than desireable.The shifts where inconsistent, overtime is mandatory.Flight privileges is a plus.
Fun place to work
Curriculum Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 14, 2019
I had my internship here. culture was the best! loved the coworkers and leaders.
I enjoyed my internship. everybody seemed to be very helpful and willing to teach you.
Great place to work.
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 13, 2019
Southwest fun loving and family oriented atmosphere is something that is very hard to come by, especially with a company as big as Southwest. I would recommend 10 times out of 10 for people looking for jobs to apply for Southwest.
poor communication
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 12, 2019
first time working as a contractor for southwest airlines and it was a mess.. poor communication between staffing agency and southwest airlines but you get blamed on both ends.. its pretty shady how swa doesn't tell me everything upfront but keep me in the shadow as well as the agency but they blame me. you sacrifice so much to get to this point especially waiting 2 months and everything is told to you day of work Monday oh by the way you work the weekends, oh by the way no training class so employees force you to work on day one.. they call the role a console so you will be making outbound calls for mot, updating time in the system, look at long calls and making any adjustments, answer any questions employees have, help with seating arrangements etc. this position i was told you have to go through agency. I never wanted to leave but integrity is something i value.. I wish things were more upfront than being told day of sadly.
Pros
Cons
swa is a con
great place to work with happy people
Customer Service Agent/Station Trainer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 12, 2019
Southwest Airlines was a good place to work.Customers were happy, employees all supported each other and looked out for each other. We always made it through the hardest of times. I enjoyed the people I worked with and that made the hard times like irregular ops easier. We were all really like family. Benefits are great, insurance is great and inexpensive. Profit sharing and 401k match is excellent. They give you 10 free PTO'S a year. All great stuff.

Working as a CSA used to be enjoyable and I loved my job. Over the last year and 1/2 things have gotten very difficult. Customer satisfaction has good down, there are too many cancellations, maintenance issues that caused planes to be pulled out of service due to contract negotiations being stalled was terrible.

I didn't realize this until I left that I had become very depressed and had no desire to go anywhere, do anything and had no motivation to do my daily household chores. After I left and maybe a week later, I was up and moving at home cleaning, deep cleaning and I felt like a burden had been lifted. That's when I realized that work was killing me.

The hardest part of the job is being the 1st point of contact and customers feeling like they can treat you any way they want when they are not happy and the you have management that didn't back you up. It was very difficult to continue to do your job and follow the rules, try to enforce the rules as we knew them to be, only to be overruled by Supervisors and Managers.

It's very disheartening when you try so hard to do a great job and make your customers happy and
  more... there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO. As a people pleaser you find yourself feeling terrible for the customer because you can't help them. Having this happen over and over again,  less
Pros
Insurance, 401K 9.3% co. match. profit sharing, ability to make your own schedule
Cons
very stressful on the front line, hrs, bidding process, point/occurrence system
The worst
Processor, Microsoft Office (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2019
I worked for southwest for a year. At first I loved the job until my son got sick I had to call out a couple days didn’t even know if he was going to make it they harassed me back to work hit me with a whole lot of points basically to the point that I wouldn’t ever be able to roll over to go to another position or do anything within the company cool. Then I found out I was pregnant high risk I still worked as much as I could there were times I was told to lift human remains alone while there would be someone at the end of the belt loader that knew I was pregnant. Then there were times I got sick during flights causing me to get out of the plane to vomit. There was a time where my feet swole up so bad I couldn’t put shoes on they told me I had to come in to show them. When I got there the person they put on the schedule in place of me was nowhere to be found I was told I couldn’t leave until I found him. Then eventually my doctor put me completely out of work I still continued to call in to work everyday. The week I was due to return to work I ended up nearly bleeding to death my child passed away they harassed me to come back to work they didn’t care no sympathy no nothing. A year later I’m still traumatized I contacted the union nobody ever got back to me eventually they terminated me and said just forget me like I was nothing.
Pros
Free flights good benefits
Cons
Bad racist management
Wonderful place to work if you are starting out
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2019
If its your only job, it is a great place to advance quickly and the company is amazing. Loved my experience with Southwest. I hope to return someday when I can devote to it full time.
Great company
Middleware Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 12, 2019
Great company to work, just the managers need to think in the contractors as persons and not as money or gross margin, As a contractor you depend on what the company need from the contractor company and don't think in you as a person with needs.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Contractors don't have any benefits
The sucess rate of the Company and working with great people
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT RESPONSIBILITIES (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 11, 2019
A typical day at Southwest was fun, interesting with assignments that kept me busy with all passengers..I learned how to work with various cultures, religions, and disabled passengers. The Supervision was awesome, very helpful, wanted employee's to succeed with the company. Southwest has a very cultural environment. various cultural pot luck lunches, holiday activities. Hardest part of my days was having to turn someone down for missing their flight and scrambling to get them on another flight, especially with children. my most enjoyable part of the day, was clocking in, it was a feeling of being present to help passengers be happy and great to see the smiles on their faces.
Best Airline to work for
Ramp Agent/Baggage Handler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2019
The best airline in my opinion. Health and flight benefits, competitive salary, and strong union.
The culture is great to be a part of, its like family at work.
Cons
Getting through airport security every day
Great work place if all you want to do is work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 9, 2019
The job is great if you don't have kids, especially young kids or value a healthy balance of work and life. The hours are unpredictable, you never know how long you will be there, unless you're really high up in seniority. REALLY high up. The people that is high seniority stay, because they're at top dollar, but hate how the company has changed and doesn't value its employees. The younger crew usually wants something extremely easy (after proper training) and are focused only on making it back to the break room as soon as possible. Its harder for those with families, second jobs, and schooling, which they do everything to tell you is still possible to sustain with this job. You HAVE to take mandatory overtime that you can't say no to without receiving a point on your record. It can be on your scheduled day off, 5 minutes before you have to clock out, or over night (if you have night shift). Employees feel extremely entitled and complain a lot, which can get to you if you're trying to do your best at your job and stay positive. With this union job, its not uncommon for employees to walk away from active jobs, even if a plane is boarding, if they feel they are wronged by the management or if something goes against any union rule that supports them.

It is a GREAT company, if you can tough it out or if you have ambitions within this field. It would be greater if they allowed you to move to be able to learn to become a pilot. I think in some coming years, it'll lead to that, since you're already encouraged to move and train in new positions within the company. Everything, even
  more... changing locations, is based on seniority.  less
Pros
Benefits, paid training, coworkers, union
Cons
6 months probation, Hours, manditory overtime, weather, management, have to pay coworkers to cover shifts (Above $25 easily up to $100)
Good co workers and excellent management
Provisioning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2019
Great place to work. Great start times. Excellent career move. Loving family company. Best airline in the world. Friendliest staff. Started from Small to largest.
Southwest Airlines Company
Sup.on Duty/Legal Complaint Resolution Officer (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 7, 2019
Supervisor on Duty– Legal Complaint Resolution Officer – problem solving, prioritizing and law regulations and parameters for specific job description – Enforce FAA, ADA, Harassment – EEOC and child protection Policies
Pros
Strong Company Values
Cons
Furthering my career would require moving
It was a employee friendly environment
Manager, Airport Affairs (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 6, 2019
I totally enjoyed working there and greatly appreciated the focus on employees. There are many ways that employees are shown appreciation in pay and activities for the benefit of employees.
Pros
Great employee friendly environment
Cons
None come to mind
Great Company
Ramp Agent and Union Representitive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2019
Great Company I wanted go back to school and try something different but I go back in a heart beat. Was a great opportunity for me and family SWA LUV.
Inflight Management Labor Relations incompetent and hypocritical
flight attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2019
Without strong union representation flight attendants find it hard to implement FAA mandated just safety culture programs such as ASAP and FADAP.
Other than risking your professional certifications as a professional flight attendant, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Free Trave, good pay, flexible work schedule, generous profit sharing, fantastic for all who stay under the radar
Cons
Uncomfortably cozy flight atrendant union/ management relationship

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Southwest Airlines.

Powered by Comparably