Southwest Key Programs Employee Reviews

Very fast pace, Regional directors, Directors and Assistant Directors, are not professionals.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 17, 2018
This company has a very high turnover, and employee moral is low.

The regional director believes and practices with his program directors and assistant directors that by eliminating the leads from the departments there will be less mistakes. However, they are the only ones who should be eliminated. They are rude, cold and have no degrees. They are there because they are relatives or closed friends to the president or vice-president.

They do not care about the hard working people, they just use them so that they can have more time to be on their phones with their personal problems and drama.
Productive, fun and great opportunity to grow!
Regional Recreational and Vocational Coodinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2018
One of the best organizations I work at. It helped me find my true passion for helping and working with youth and was provided with the opportunity to grow within the company and work and collaborate with amazing people that mentor and help me succeed in every event and idea I had for the region. This is an amazing place to work out with a true opportunity to make a difference and I will never forget the experience, memories and people who work here.
Pros
Benefits and support
It was a great place to work for , but then everything went to crazy and graveyard superviosr sleeping with staff and so on
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working for southwest key and believe in helping the youth it was rewarding teaching the youth and seeing the advancement. Awesome filling when reunifying the youth to their parents.
Pros
no restroom breaks
Cons
great benefits
Management was horrible
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 4, 2018
Low wages, no breaks or lunches EVER, management was horrible.
The best part was working with the children and the rest of the coworkers. Never got a weekend off.
Horrible Management
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Youngtown, AZ 85363September 4, 2018
The job itself isn't bad. Its the bad management in charge , the wrong people get advanced to positions they should not be in. Rules that dont make sense .
Pros
Free lunch. Working with kids
Cons
Bad management, No raises.
Typical Day at work
Assistant Lead Clinician (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 3, 2018
Working with Southwest Key gains you the opportunity to become cultural competent. In a typical work day at the organization, you stay busy at all times. It is a very fast pace environment and it allows you no time to get bored. It is a fun environment and people are nice and friendly.
coool
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 31, 2018
it was an okay job I won't complain but I had to leave due to POOR MANAGMENT!!!!!! Good pay, the kids are awesome. Good hours!.................................................
Intern Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXAugust 30, 2018
As an intern, a typical day consisted of assisting the secretary with organizing and filing client information that was highly sensitive, as well as invoices within the organization. Other duties that was mostly performed was inputting client data in the SWK system. Coming into the organization with no work experience, I was able to learn how to copy, scan, input data, pick up organizational skills at a fast pace, as well as getting work done in a proficient, neat and timely manner. The director of the program was very nice and professional to me throughout my whole internship. The director gave me opportunities to practice my professional development by practicing mock interviews, organizational planning, as well as allowing me to sit in at interviews. The workplace culture was very friendly, welcoming, patient and understanding. Each employee collaborated in a professional manner when it came to teamwork. The hardest part in working in SWK was the amount of paperwork that was presented in front of me that had to be input into the system, filed and organized. As mentioned before, I did not have any work experience, so it was a bit overwhelming to handle all the paperwork, but after a short while, it became easier to work with. The most enjoyable part of being an intern at SWK was being able to work and interact with employees of all ages. By interacting with my former coworkers my interpersonal skills and teamwork skills have enhanced greatly.
Pros
Friendly work-environment;
Cons
N/a
I really love my team
Administrative Assitant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 30, 2018
It was a good place to work since the day one was so stressful. With the time we develop a great Admin Team. But fortunately lack of management from HQ
Pros
Good pay
Cons
lack of management and selection of staff
Exciting working with kids
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 28, 2018
The work itself is very satisfactory, always finding ways to make a difference with youths. The problem is basically management they don't have a lot of basic ethics skills when dealing with work environment concerning employees. Favoritism is above and beyond comprehension and only people closed to management have a serious opportunity to grow.
Great
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2018
Great company. Loved my job. Awesome co workers and managers. Recommend this place
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really great people everyday is different and you work as a team.
Seasonal youth care worker
Seasonal youth care worker (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 11, 2018
It is a very good place to work, i like the environment and the co-workers are very nice. atypical day on my second shift begins with a 30 minute meeting to review on the youth's outcomes, well being, process on their learning or any other issues or thing that the employees need to know or get informed of. Next we go to the building where youth are provided with restroom breaks, snacks and classes such ESL, Art classes and any other things that the youth should know and learn.
This is a great company
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2018
This company values their employees and clients they serve. They ensure you have the proper training and over compensate for a job well done. The work is easy, however, it is very emotional. The clients often have horrible stories of abuse, neglect, starvation etc. prior to arriving in these facilities. It takes a special person to work for this company for multiple years.
Pros
They advocate for their clients and work diligently to provide the care needed.
Cons
There are so many clients, so many sad stories.
Its okay, but stressfull at times
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Clint, TEXASAugust 8, 2018
I worked for a couple of years.
My inmediate bosses were awesome if you were a hard worker.
However, the progtam hire incompetent people in this position wich make job harder.
Upper management (dinousours) they will like you if you are family member of their "clica" otherwise no advancements.
Bunch of stupid and unuseless policies.
Lots of trainings/meetings in your days offs
Gossip, working with envidious and frustrated people
THE GOOD STUFF: you can teach new stuff to this population, lots of funnny activities and parties with minors, its a emotional positive mostly rewarding experience to work with other cultures.
The benefits: Lots.. BCSTX PPO..they pay mostlt
4 everything. Sick Vacation leave is accumulative next years if unused.
The place is beautiful because of the huge green areas and very relaxing but lots of walking(worth it)
Overtime offered in diverse ways for this position on peak of the year( may last months)
Salarie raise based on funding..
Reveive 4 increases through time
Very cool Bonuses based on yearly performance.
Develop good coworkers friendships
Pros
Upper management/ policies/ some coworkers
Cons
Benefits/overtime/ increases and bonuses
Great Opportunity Advancements
YCW/Teacher June 2015 - February 2017 (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 6, 2018
I really enjoyed working with SWK. The company does offer the opportunity for advancement. It has great healthcare insurance. On the educational portion of the company, I had a great experience working with children of diverse cultures.
Pros
Free lunches, healthcare benefits, retirement plan
Cons
Vaccines
Poor Collaboration
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 5, 2018
Headquarters staff are very committed to their programs; however little to no collaboration. Communication is very poor. No mentoring of a well educated staff. Very sad to have seen their “nervous” and stressful efforts not attended to. Communication style in organization is not conducive to any new ideas.
Pros
The people
Cons
The executives and upper management
vocacional class
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job is the the culture, learned how they can get job, and insert our system, someone typical dy is preventive care youth,
Pros
know diferrent culture, and help other people
Cons
They must change some policies, which are too strict
Review from Southwest Keys
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJuly 31, 2018
A typical day at work included taking care of foster kids and doing reports. I learned to be patient with others. Management was professional and provided support.
bueno
worker (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 30, 2018
es recomendable trabajar alli, pero es atisfactorio el trabajar con los clientes en la compañia
Pros
temporal
Cons
no hay descanso
An Objective Review
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 29, 2018
Pros
Pay/Benefits: Health, dental, vision. LTD, Life insurance. Retirement savings program, reimbursement for gym membership.

Yearly training: CPR, First Aid, Some CTE for teachers

Hours: Management flexible in incidence of family illness, special events and will allow for time with family/days off.

Job Responsibilities: Opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of at-risk youth. Creative freedom in lesson planning.

Technology: Teacher Computer, ELMO/Projector (shared with other program entities), student computers

Cons
Pay/Benefits: Low Salary.

Yearly Training: Needs more training specific to teaching content areas

Hours: Weekend hours would be reduced if there was an online grading system for teachers (that was easy to use)

Job Responsibilities: 5+ grade levels in 50 min classes, multiple subjects at one time, other duties as assigned - challenging to juggle it all.

Technology: Lack of current technologies, systems and applications used at most school districts

Other: Lack of substitute teacher pool, strong need for PLC to help support teachers in planning lessons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Key Programs. Our community is ready to answer.