Southwest Research Institute Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Very good pay and benefits but remote assignment
Information Systems Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 20, 2018
My work at this company was at a remote site where family could not be. I was gone 8 weeks at a time. The nature of the job was also configured to eventually work assigned employees out of a job (job ended when project completed).
Pros
Very good pay and benefits
Cons
remote assignment with no long-term future
Great for recent grads
Engineer (Quality Systems) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 16, 2018
High stress in finding project work with no real reliable resources to do so. Very good tuition reimbursement policy. Constantly pressured to log 'project time' and when work is slow, layoffs are threatened.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Everything else
Contract Project challenges
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2018
Work direction was directed by obtains project funding. Young / inexperience engineers had difficult time obtaining project funding due to lack of industry experience and contacts.
Pros
Varied project experiences
Cons
Obtaining project funding
Learned alot about soil
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2018
Interned at SwRI. Felt very welcome in my department since day one. Friendly staff, all very prepared and knowledgeable. Learned a lot about soils and made good friends.
Ok Place to Work Until Your Funding Runs Out
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 25, 2018
Ok place to work as long as your funding is secure. If your contract funding runs out or is lost, the institute management does nothing to help retain you within the organization. Pay is commensurate for your position. Vacation time/compensation is terrible.
One of best places I ever worked for
Chemist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2018
Their satellite contracts is when I learned the most about mass spec. and true meaning team work to get the job done for the client. Management was consistent in all phases of the job.
Fascinating place to work
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 14, 2018
Broad range of projects
good facilities and equipment
lots of smart people
private offices
you can do want you want as long as you can win the proposal
best part - internal research and development program
hard work
Fabricator/welder/maintenance (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2018
in my opinion the do not pay well, it is hard to get any where when you have a family. they do not promote very much. and the just give you more and more responsibility but do not pay you for it, and the raises are not good at all.
Good Place to work
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 27, 2018
Its a good place to work and you meet very interesting people that are very resourceful and candid. I would like to get contracted again by them, I also like the environment and professionals you work with.
Pros
M-f
Cons
Contracts are short
very productive
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasMarch 8, 2018
The environment work in this facility is very dynamic and competitive the facility count with a diversity of scientific studies and the state of the art installations and security
Pros
all
Good work/life balance
Senior Subcontracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 25, 2018
I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for a project centric organization where collaboration is key. It is fairly relaxed and pair is fair.
very rewarding work
Chemical Warfare Agent Analyst (Former Employee) –  Johnston AtollFebruary 16, 2018
The work location was a tiny island in the south pacific which took us away from our families and friends. That was the hardest part to deal with. The work itself was rewarding.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
far from family
Great Place to work
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 28, 2018
Fast paced.
Buying Research & Development products and services.
Great Management.
People are great to work with.
Fast pace, meeting suspenses
Employees are great to work with.
Pros
Great Office & Great People
Cons
Fast paced and stressful
I love my contract job at SwRI.
Contract Editor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2018
My contract editing job at SwRI is wonderful. I love reading and editing, and they give me a good bit of work every year. I work from home. I read mainly nuclear waste storage research documents. The writers I edit for don't always have English as their first language, so I know how to work with that, as well.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Set hours
great place to work
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2018
The business model is outdated and not sustainable in a competitive market. Very employee friendly. family friendly. decent people to work with.

Poor Leadership with little vision for the future from a business point of view.
na
Sr. Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 12, 2018
SwRI is a great company to work for with great benefits. My management has been good to work for and understands that my family comes first. I had many opportunities provided to me that I took advantage of during my time there.
Its a place to go and hide.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 11, 2018
This place is a joke for being a Research Institute. Most of the practices and management are antiquated to say the least, the manager of the R&D Department (my supervisor), had no clue what agile was, very little bug tracking, and just recently adopted "version control" (serious, he used quotes to describe it).

They do have some interesting departments including the space and science division, but for the most part people get hired here and stay until they die or retire or leave for greener pastures. This is lifer central and most of the upper management is well entrenched, they are not going to be adopting any modern software practices any time soon.

On the plus side, the atmosphere is pretty lax and if you can deal with the old school good old boy hierarchy its not bad if you don't want any real challenges.
Pros
Institute lifer mentality (job security)
Cons
Institute lifer mentality (no future)
Fantastic
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Umatilla, ORDecember 24, 2017
This was the best company I have ever worked for. The pay was great. Benefits were equivalent to the military. Retirement was paid in even if you paid nothing. Overtime was available if you wanted it, but as far as I remember only mandatory for regular schedule. It was a rotating shift. One week required 48 hours. The next was just 36. So it balanced out.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Vacation, 401k
Cons
Nights and Days rotating
Exploitive and abusive
Technical Staff Member (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2017
SwRI operates as a caste culture. The senior staff receive lavish salaries and bonuses, and some include in their contract the benefit to fly business class on their extreme travel schedule. All this while junior salaries are kept low to maintain the benefits awarded to the senior staff. Furthermore, the environment is openly hostile to women. One division had five women on the technical staff leave the company in just three months, and no one stopped to ask what was going on.
Pros
Exciting projects
Cons
Toxic work environment
Great Place to work Family Friendly
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antnio, TxNovember 13, 2017
Working at Southwest Research Institute has been great. If it weren't for relocating I wouldn't leave. I like all the people I work with and the working environment has been amazing.