Southwestern Behavioral Healthcare

Southwestern Behavioral Healthcare Employee Reviews

United States22 reviews
I like the place, it is a good employer. They have good benefits and have supported me. Not sure why I have to give a review if I don't want to. You should change this requirement as it is not something I was wanting to take part in.
January 3, 2020
Thank you for your kind words. We do have great benefits and a generous paid time off program. Thank you for all that you do to help our clients.
I worked with those who had extreme mental illness. I miss those I worked with, but the hours and the pay were not enough. It's very difficult to work in this type of industry and not be affected by it.
SWBH has supported, invested and encouraged me as a professional and student. Benefits and training for CEU/certification are the best, starting day 1. Environment prioritizes inclusion, safety, service quality and program development that strives to meet individual, family and community needs. Directors and HR make employee self-care a priority in a way that makes it achievable. Employee and consumer feedback is always encouraged and implemented to enhance and improve organizational structure and services. SWBH has an efficacious understanding of the helper's desire to make a difference on micro, mezzo and macro levels. They support this from the top down with transparency, fidelity and resolve through community partnerships and opportunities for growth within the company that enhances and promotes continuity of care and commitment to serve employees serving this communities most vulnerable individuals, families and organizations. Their transparency, focus on employee self-care, work-life balance and collaborative structure has provided certainty for their employees and families in this uncertain time. I would recommend SWBH as a 5 star employer to all helpers, new and experienced in the helping fields! A company that truly practices both mission and vision.
I love working at SBH. The environment is flexible and staff care about each other. The work is hard but enjoyable and we are make a big difference in many peoples lives. We are nonprofit organization so we pride ourselves on taking care of really vulnerable people. We are blessed to service our clients and staff the work her take pride in this.
Pros
Work life balance and compassion
Cons
Communication at times
January 24, 2020
We are so happy you love your job! Our employees are our biggest asset. Thank you for your dedication to our mission. We are committed to continuing to improve communication throughout the organization.
Was at SW for 10 yrs, by the end I was suicidal. Too much work continually added on already overworked staff. There was no pay increase for 7 years. Very high turn over of staff on all levels.HR staff was dictatorial.
Most staff were horrendous gossipers. The supervisors, with a few exceptions, did not care for those working for them. If you take a position here you will live to regret it.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
No one cares about the employees
August 5, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We would like to address some of your comments. First, for the past eight years, the company has not only given annual merit increases based on performance but salary adjustments to retain and attract the best. Second, all managers and departments are expected to enforce company policies and procedures. We're sorry that you felt this was dictatorial. Third, employees are our biggest asset! We work hard to have a positive, engaging environment where employees feel valued and supported. Lastly, thank you for your positive review of our benefits. We are proud that we can offer employees a very competitive benefit and paid time off package. If you would like to discuss your employment, please feel free to contact us. Best wishes in your future endeavors.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I was terminated after nearly 19 years combined service due to getting upset after getting some unsettling family news while another employee who had been there only 9 months and only shows up for work half the time continues to work with no repercussions. He tells the coordinator when he is available each week and then walks away whistling.
July 9, 2019
Thank you for your comments. We would like to respond to some of your concerns. First, we value each employee's confidentiality. Second, we pride ourselves on the flexibility that we offer employees. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.
I am a fully licensed therapist and love my job at Southwestern. I have been in the field for over 20 years and licensed for close to 10 of that. I have a basis for comparison and have only had one other job that I had this supportive of an environment. The company is organized and offers an excellent training and on boarding process. As an LCSW salaries were recently raised. I wish they could be more, but they are competitive. We remain very busy. Community mental health offers amazing learning opportunities, but there are challenges. Due to the high demand for services we run many groups and this service is often the option that is available, but it allows clients to be seen weekly. There is a strong emphasis on one type of therapy, however, I have never felt I could not use other modalities I am trained in. I have been very pleasantly surprised that I have had adequate amounts of time built in my schedule for documentation. There are many demands, but an organized employee that is serious about the work they do will have no trouble with the workload as long as they are focused on work and not distractions. I love my team, they make the job great, and we have the best support staff I have ever had in my career. Our clients are amazing as well. Training opportunities are plentiful and supervision is available. This is a great place clinicians, new and licensed. The billing department does an amazing job with credentialing. The only draw back is that I had to give up substantial PTO when I came here. Our PTO package is average, but management works with us. - more...
Pros
training, built in documentation time, work life balance
Cons
PTO and paid vacation days are only average at best
May 21, 2019
Thank you for your kind words. We are so glad you love your job! We agree that we have a great training program and afford employees endless opportunities to further their knowledge. We feel that our PTO package for therapists is top notch with 182 hours of PTO on an annual basis. Our clients are the best! Thank you again for your great review of the company!
SWBH is a good company to work for if you are straight out of college and need the hours for licensure. With that being said, don’t expect much more. There is CONSTANT miscommunication. No one ever knows what they are doing. You’re told one thing one minute then the exact opposite the next. Everything you do from therapy to tx recommendations have to be followed by their “policies”. You never have a say in your clients treatment- it’s always dictated by management or existing policies. They are constantly forcing clients in groups (even if the client doesn’t want to be in a group). They just want a warm body. Again, if you need the supervision hours for licensure this is the place for you. I just hate that client care has gone down the drain- this is as a result of the high turnover and inexperienced staff. Once people obtain their LCSW they are out the door immediately. There is a major systems issue at SWBH. The people are fantastic, but the system in place simply does not work and it shows.
Pros
Health insurance/benefits, Pto
Cons
Miscommunication, Pay, Work Culture
April 15, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. Like any company, communication can always be improved. You are correct that we do have policies. However, therapists have a significant amount of discretion in their client's treatment. The company is always looking at new and improved ways to provide services to our large client base. Employees are encouraged to communicate ideas, concerns, and improvements to any manager, director or the CEO of the company. Yes, we absolutely agree that the company has a great training and continuing education program. We recently were very excited to announce a significant increase in our therapist pay as well as several other positions in the company. The company offers a generous PTO program, up to 180 hours per year, for therapists. We value and appreciate our employees as they are our biggest asset! Thank you again for your feedback. I would be happy to meet with you to discuss any of the items mentioned in your review. We wish you well in your future endeavors.
This is a good place for people with new MSW degrees to start out and learn about treatments and diagnoses. There are opportunities to move around and become more skilled at specific treatments because therapists frequently leave after obtaining clinical licensure. Management has favorites which becomes evident. Pay is low, but PTO is pretty good. Productivity is reviewed monthly which seems to focus on how much money you make for the company instead of the effectiveness of treatment provided for clients.
Pros
Pto, continued learning after college
Cons
Low pay, therapists leave so whoever is left is expected to cover for their cases
February 18, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that we were able to provide you with excellent training. Thank you for the positive comment about PTO. We do have a very rich PTO plan that allows employees to take the time to spend with family and friends. We do monitor the market to ensure that our pay and benefits remain competitive. We offer a generous pay raise once the mandated state licensure is obtained. In addition, ancillary benefits such as student loan assistance for completed degrees and ongoing training are available to part-time and full-time employees. Thank you again for your feedback. We wish you the best in future endeavors.
I felt undermined, unsupported, and unappreciated. The pay was not terrible but not impressive. It was all about keeping beds full for profit and not about truly healing anyone.
December 10, 2018
We welcome all feedback. We're sorry that you felt unsupported and unappreciated in your role as a recovery assistant. We strive to make every employee feel valued and appreciated. Some examples of this are employee events, free movie tickets, hockey tickets, snack baskets, treats for staff working holidays and the employee recognition committee. I would be happy to speak to you regarding your concerns. I encourage you to reach out to the HR department. We are dedicated to our mission of providing exceptional service to our clients and community. I'm sorry that you perception is that we put profit ahead of client needs as this has never been the case. Again, we welcome your feedback and want to thank you for your time with our company.
Great place to work. I hope that everyone gets to work for such a great company, management in wonderful, they truly care about their employees, and their mental health.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Low salary
December 10, 2018
Thank you for the feedback. We truly care about our employees and think of them as family. Self care is important for any occupation but particularly in the behavioral health field. This is why we encourage all employees to practice self-care. Thank you for dedication to our mission. We wish you the best on your future endeavors.
This place is super clicky, if you don’t fit in you sit with a target on your back. Not to mention they have a double standard of expectation from those who are in the click and those who are not in.
October 22, 2018
I want to thank you for taking the time to give your We are sorry you didn't have a good experience at our company. We work very hard to ensure that all employees are treated equally and understand the job expectations. We wish you best in your future endeavors.
I LOVED the work I did, the clients are great. The workplace environment not so much. It's very clique-y. HR department are sticklers on everything. Don't trust anyone. There is a lot of workplace politics and gossip. If you don't make any mistakes, you'll be just fine.
October 22, 2018
Thank you for the feedback. We pride ourselves on creating a comfortable and collaborative environment for all our employees so I'm disappointed to hear about your experience. We value and consider all feedback and we'll continue to find ways to improve but I wanted to address a couple of your specific concerns.

First, our HR department does ensure that policies and procedures are enforced consistently. Second, we know that no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. Its what we learn from those mistakes that is important. Third, our employees are our biggest asset.

We thank you again for your feedback and we'll continue to find ways to improve. Best wishes on your future endeavors.
I have been working at Southwestern for almost a year now and love my job. I am pursuing a degree in mental health nursing and this position has allowed me to work in the field while also going to school. The company is wonderful and is willing to accommodate school schedules. Management is very hands on and collaborates well with staff to explore different treatment options and ideas. The patients and residents are our priority, and you will work closely with other members of the Southwestern team to ensure the most effective treatment possible.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great management
Cons
Limited advancement
Southwestern provides a wide variety of mental health services in our community. Every day is different, and I have learned more from the clients I serve than from any college text book. Southwestern offers excellent benefits, and promotes from within the company. The most challenging aspect of working in the mental health profession is fighting against the stigma that surrounds mental illness. My managers have always been supportive and challenge me to be better, while encouraging a healthy work-life balance. The nature of this work is often fast-paced and challenging, but very important and rewarding.
Pros
Excellent benefits, flexibility, variety of service areas (kids, adults, addictions, etc.), company values employees
Cons
It's easy to take work home with you, or worry about clients after hours.
The position requires multitasking but is made difficult due to understaffing which is rampant. They do a good job of training but they will hire people who are badly screened and usually underperform in areas like charting, documenting medication counts or usage and storing client's property. Liabilities like these and the potential legal dangers of working with combative or deceptive clients in a state monitored environment put too high a risk of affecting my work career. In 6 months the facility went through half of it's staff and always many positions short, straining coverage and effectiveness.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Staffing and management short falls
Great place to work with great people-- however some parts of the company are very unorganized and they have poor management in some parts. The company puts a lot of emphasis on training, which is great, and gives a good feel for what your job will look like.
I enjoyed working for this company very much, especially good for individuals wanting challenging opportunities. I found this job difficult in separating personal life from career.
Pros
extensive vacation
Cons
stressful
Health Insurance is the best thing about this job. It starts as soon as you sign up for it, no need to wait a couple months. Management really are not on staffs side, don't expect them to have your back. The residents get away with anything and are not held accountable for their actions. They get all the freedoms of an adult but are catered to as if they are children. Residents are no longer required to participate in the program and are allowed to leach off the group homes.They get some really good employees but many have left or are leaving due to working conditions.
Pros
Insurance and co-workers.
Cons
Residents aren't held accountable for their actions. Management doesn't back staff.
Performed in-home services for children and families. A great place for entry level or outpatient people. Supportive co-workers. Hardest part was the long nights, documentation requirements, and production requirements. The most enjoyable part was the flexibility in schedule and my amazing supervisor.
Pros
supportive co-workers
Cons
Southwestern offers excellent supervision and training with opportunity for advancement. Friendly and supportive work environment.
I have been in allowed to manage and arrange my schedule to best serve my clients while being flexible to my personal needs.

Co-workers and management are team players.

Opinions and ideas of staff are valued.

If my family had not moved to the Louisville area I would not be leaving.
Pros
in house training, felt valued as an employee
Cons
does not pay as well as for-profit agencys
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwestern Behavioral Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9