Southwestern Community College Employee Reviews

Power Study Leader (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAFebruary 5, 2019
The Power Study program at SWC is a great place to work. The maximum amount of hours you will be able to work is 25 and though your wage will increase with time it won't be enough to support a family.
Pros
Great enviroment
Cons
Hours
Watch your back
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin, NCNovember 9, 2018
Not given any direction, then criticized for how you handle things. Very poor management. Most peers were great, management was very bad. Made for a stressful environment to work in.
college atmosphere
clinical site instructor (Former Employee) –  Mt. Ayr, IAOctober 31, 2018
independent work experience, clinical site instructor, well established boundaries, assistance easily available if necessary for instructors should the need arise
Great People, Great Place to Work
College Success Coach/Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCSeptember 21, 2018
Working at SCC is great. The culture here is extremely welcoming and friendly. The school is an asset to the community, as it helps a wide variety of students. Typical days here are busy, but productive. The environment is not stressful, even though it is fairly quick-paced. Management is great, as all the Deans are wonderful and very dedicated. There is a great deal of professional development opportunities, and everyone here is willing to help everyone else.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Small school with limited budget for pay
Its Cool
Admissions & Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Creston, IASeptember 11, 2018
Effectively recruited 20-40 student athletes annually to Southwestern Community College and its’ baseball program in accordance with NJCAA guidelines and regulations. Examined student athlete’s academic transcripts and course schedules to ensure proper enrollment into the required classes for graduation in specific degree programs.
Created marketing and advertising materials to prospective student athletes and implemented several fundraising activities. Managed team fitness regimen and devised daily practice plan and schedule for individual and team practice sessions.
Great Place
IT (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCJuly 17, 2018
Great place to work. I would totally recommend Southwestern! I love working here. A great work environment. Supervisors are all supportive of the faculty.
Great work community!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCJuly 9, 2018
This was my first opportunity to teach during my career as a registered dietitian. My class started as an in person course and transitioned into an online format. Best experience!
It's s job.
Adjunct Instructor of English and German (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCMay 10, 2018
It is a quality community college. For an adjunct instructor, there is very little job security and no benefits. There is a good group of other adjunct instructors who will offer their support.
Small Community College with Great Variety
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Creston, IAApril 16, 2018
For a small community college, SWCC has a wide range of programs and athletics, plus on-campus clubs and activities. The benefits are great for full-time staff.
Collaborative, productive workplace
Tutor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCFebruary 6, 2018
In three jobs, I helped serve students facing challenges. A positive work environment that encourages collaboration. Comfortable atmosphere. Great support from supervisors/colleagues. Few chances to advance from part-time to full-time, but an enjoyable place of employment.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, good collaboration, great support
Cons
Low hours, few advancement opportunities

Want to know more about Southwestern Community College?

Ask a question
Good place to work for
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILSeptember 23, 2017
It's a fairly simple job where you clean computer labs and that's about it. The workplace culture is good and they want you to succeed and move on to a better place.
productive
Financial Aid Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCAugust 18, 2017
This job was a work study position. to gain extra money for school expensive's I work up to 15 hours a week, with flexible hours that worked around my class schedule.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours to make a full time job.
Very laid back
I help the liaison (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCApril 3, 2017
He works well with you and your schedule. He gives you task and ask that you do your best. The interaction with teenagers is different everyday as they are teenagers. Teaching them how to be successful has been interesting challenge that I have had great success.
professional development opportunity
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MINovember 28, 2015
this job was a stepping stone to further my career and support my experience in computer technology and the management was very professional and cooperative to life changing events, my co-workers were helpful in the computer services environment, hardest part of my job was to inform a customer that i was unable to fix there computer without them compensating for hardware replacement, the most enjoyable part of my job was the experience and understanding how the professional lifestyle was and you communicate with other employees, to help provide desktop support and taking what i learned from my college education and applying it to my job
Pros
opportunity
Cons
minimum wage
Interesting and varied work place
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCJuly 31, 2015
Opportunities in various locations, teaching a variety of subjects to college students and adults. Very rewarding to assist young people and adults in successfully reaching their academic and life goals.
Most Rewarding
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCJuly 2, 2015
The position was very rewarding. I loved watching the student's faces when they "got it." Southwestern Community College is ranked in the top 10 in the nation and they earned that with the wonderful staff and faculty they have.
fun envierment
AV Technician (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCApril 19, 2015
Average day set up for events and help move equipment as needed. I learned about projectors. management very easy going.
Co-workers helpful and nice. The hardest part was not a lot of hours and low pay. The most enjoyable parts where watching the accomplishments of my fellow students.
same as fun and outgoig
Operator (Former Employee) –  san diegoJanuary 26, 2015
same as before, mostly clerical work and helping the technicians and administrators with any office clerical work. Due to lack of funding for the department the Evaluations office had to let me go for the semester. My last official work day at the Evaluations department in Southwestern College was December 19, 2014.
Internship then was hired for part-time
Administrative Assistant/Continuing Ed. (Former Employee) –  Webster, NCDecember 23, 2014
Good learning experience working with adults wanting to further their education
Pros
Great environment
Cons
no full time available
Productive and great working environment.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCSeptember 3, 2014
My community college experience has given me a comprehensive understanding of Student Services and solid knowledge of Curriculum and Instruction. In my current position as Registrar at Southwestern Community College, I have worked extensively with faculty and staff. The many college committees in which I have participated have broadened my knowledge of the institution and areas outside Student Services. I have been fortunate to work with a group of individuals that are not only dedicated to serving students but are creative and willing to adjust processes to meet the needs of our community of students.
Pros
Healthcare and benefits.