Southwestern Community College Employee Reviews

I attended class here
student (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 9, 2018
This must be an error on the part of the site. I attended Southwestern Community College after high school and listed under education not work history.
Watch your back
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin, NCNovember 9, 2018
Not given any direction, then criticized for how you handle things. Very poor management. Most peers were great, management was very bad. Made for a stressful environment to work in.
Great People, Great Place to Work
College Success Coach/Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCSeptember 21, 2018
Working at SCC is great. The culture here is extremely welcoming and friendly. The school is an asset to the community, as it helps a wide variety of students. Typical days here are busy, but productive. The environment is not stressful, even though it is fairly quick-paced. Management is great, as all the Deans are wonderful and very dedicated. There is a great deal of professional development opportunities, and everyone here is willing to help everyone else.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Small school with limited budget for pay
Its Cool
Admissions & Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Creston, IASeptember 11, 2018
Effectively recruited 20-40 student athletes annually to Southwestern Community College and its’ baseball program in accordance with NJCAA guidelines and regulations. Examined student athlete’s academic transcripts and course schedules to ensure proper enrollment into the required classes for graduation in specific degree programs.
Created marketing and advertising materials to prospective student athletes and implemented several fundraising activities. Managed team fitness regimen and devised daily practice plan and schedule for individual and team practice sessions.
Great Place
IT (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCJuly 17, 2018
Great place to work. I would totally recommend Southwestern! I love working here. A great work environment. Supervisors are all supportive of the faculty.
Great work community!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCJuly 9, 2018
This was my first opportunity to teach during my career as a registered dietitian. My class started as an in person course and transitioned into an online format. Best experience!
Great place to work.
BOOKSTORE CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJune 4, 2018
I was fun to work at Southwestern Community College. The staff was super nice and very professional. I work very hard. I balance my cash register all the time.
It's s job.
Adjunct Instructor of English and German (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCMay 10, 2018
It is a quality community college. For an adjunct instructor, there is very little job security and no benefits. There is a good group of other adjunct instructors who will offer their support.
Small Community College with Great Variety
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Creston, IAApril 16, 2018
For a small community college, SWCC has a wide range of programs and athletics, plus on-campus clubs and activities. The benefits are great for full-time staff.
Collaborative, productive workplace
Tutor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCFebruary 6, 2018
In three jobs, I helped serve students facing challenges. A positive work environment that encourages collaboration. Comfortable atmosphere. Great support from supervisors/colleagues. Few chances to advance from part-time to full-time, but an enjoyable place of employment.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, good collaboration, great support
Cons
Low hours, few advancement opportunities
CIS 101 PC Repair and Upgrade
ROP PC Repair Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAFebruary 5, 2018
A typical day is teaching students the ins and outs of the PC and its components. The most difficult part was trying to teach them as much as i could in the allowed for each class meeting. Teaching students about my experiences to help them understand the curriculum better, was my favorite part of the workplace. The workplace culture was energetic.
Pros
Expanding my own experience.
Student worker...
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CA 91910January 29, 2018
It was one of the easiest jobs I had. The offices I worked at were chill and they would let you work on homework if there was no more work to be done.
Good place to work for
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILSeptember 23, 2017
It's a fairly simple job where you clean computer labs and that's about it. The workplace culture is good and they want you to succeed and move on to a better place.
Very Political
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CASeptember 11, 2017
VP's/School President are literally in charge of their police departments, with minimal knowledge of how to run a PD that's where the problems exsist.
Pros
Assist students feel safe and gain their trust and respect
Cons
Lots of interference by union reps, school administrators & Board Members
productive
Financial Aid Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCAugust 18, 2017
This job was a work study position. to gain extra money for school expensive's I work up to 15 hours a week, with flexible hours that worked around my class schedule.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours to make a full time job.
good work culture
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJune 21, 2017
I worked by picking up trash on the perimeter, cleaned out dugouts and mowed lawns.using equipment like mowers, blowers and edgers. I was able to gain positive work experience and knowledge by working with a crew that cared about my well being and the supervisor helped me when I needed help with something.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
no benifits
Amazing
Peer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAApril 26, 2017
I love southwestern college ! They have an easy, and well organized staffing department. SWC is people friendly. Any question you ask they have an answer to.
Very laid back
I help the liaison (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCApril 3, 2017
He works well with you and your schedule. He gives you task and ask that you do your best. The interaction with teenagers is different everyday as they are teenagers. Teaching them how to be successful has been interesting challenge that I have had great success.
Tutor
Tutor- Greeter (Education) (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 20, 2017
I worked in the MESA department here, it was the best job I've ever had, I loved it there, I would still be there if it wasn't for relocating. The bonds and friends you make last a lifetime I would recommend working here.
Provides a good starter for students.
PowerStudy Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 13, 2017
As a first job this can really set you on the right foot, and the staff and faculty are always ready to help you in any way possible. The environment feels as if you are always welcome, and it feels amazing to always be helping out someone.