Southwestern Motor Transport Employee Reviews

No overtime, turn over almost every week
Local Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2019
I'm a current driver for SMTL. I have many reasons why I am actively looking for other work and why someone should not come to work here.

Reason 1) no overtime. You're paid hourly at a rate of around $22 an hour. However, you'll work well over 40 in a week and you will not be paid overtime for anything over 40 hours.

Reason 2) they're benefits are extremely expensive. I have myself and a kid on my insurance and its close to $150 a week and that's with the cheaper plan.

Reason 3) Since I've started working for SMTL, we have gone through numerous terminal managers and a couple dispatchers. Being that I've worked here for less than a year, I feel like this is a bad thing.

I don't really have anything good to say about the company other than it will pay the bills while you're looking for something else.
Pros
It’ll pay the bills
Cons
Read above.
Keep to yourself.
Forklift Operator/Gate attendant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 15, 2019
Theres nothing positive to say about this place. I was let go without warning after working there for over a year with no increase of Salary, good luck working here. You're just a slave to them.
N/a
Freight Dispatcher & Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2018
This is a very fast paced environment that requires a thorough knowledge of dispatching duties as well as skills in office administration and organization.
The people are the only reason you work there
Former member (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2018
The Management was the hindrance. Most employees tried their best but the management killed all hope. I feel bad for the current guys and girls. I liked my job but hated going to work. NUFF SAID
Horrible workplace
Dock Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 5, 2018
If your looking for a challenging job and long hours this is for you , hot long hard work for good pay and lots of hours. Gotta keep positive and have a great attitude
Not Good
Transportation Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2018
Terrible management. Lack of accountability by upper management. No vision by upper management. Too relaxed. Pay is terrible, job is not worth the headache.
good job but could use better trucks
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78218May 18, 2018
well as company it was a good job but the hours were long and hard delivers. and very long hours to work and sometimes the week ends also no time for the family.
Pros
good job
Not a good place
Driver (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 19, 2017
Trucks are filthy they need to be sanitize but still ask you to clean it. No j brakes or cruise dispatch acts like they own you no good there.........
Pros
Cons
Company needs to go out of business
Productive and it was a good place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 12, 2017
I learned things that i haven't done it before, they're kinda good people in there and ALWAYS we have to be on time to work and make sure everything is done
no good
General Repair Mechanic (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 2, 2017
no good place to work, the salary is too low and the company dont does not encourage workers to continue doing the work in the best possible way, does not have the necessary equipment to carry out the work
It's been a pleasure
Credit Dept Asst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 10, 2017
I have learned quite a bit from my time there. The people are friendly. The transportation industry is quite complex and I have barely scratched the surface.
competative and funand lay back work atmosphere
Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2017
A good place to start with no experience room for growth in expanding your knowledge you are expected to be on time and to perform task this company will give you opportunity to try new things
However they only pay straight time pay no over time pay so no time in half pay
Pros
benefits and steady pay
Cons
no over time pay
good job
Lift truck operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 29, 2017
southwester motors transport has a good service great management and a good crew to work, also great to security, good time to work and the benefits to work there never have a bad experience.
Dirty, Raggedy, Unsafe.
Local Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 14, 2016
Very raggedy old trucks and equipment. Nothing works, not even pallet jacks. This company is VERY behind. Unsafe work environment. It's ridiculous for a company to be in the condition that this company is in. Do not know how they keep drivers or are still in business for that matter. If you like driving raggedy, beat-up, dirty, filthy, outdated, unsafe trucks, then this is the place for you. Or if you love being overworked in a oven for a truck all day for a freight company low 19.00 an hour, this is your dream job. Lowest standards of all major LTL freight companies.
Pros
You can always find another job
Cons
Where do I begin....
Great Co workers
Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 3, 2016
My coworkers are the best people I've ever worked with I won't change anything. My manager was the best. He always worry about the guys and he would making sure the drivers got what they needed to make that truck roll. Even though people did not know what I did. If you go ask the guys they would say I did a lot. I never mine getting dirty, help fueling for the next day. I would get under trucks just to get a part number. I wasn't always sitting in the office all the time. I worry as much as my manager did about making sure that truck roll. Where ever it might have been. Everyone who I had contact with always told me that I care to much. I told them if I didn't who would. Even drivers appreicate that I would double check if ever thing was okay with them when they were broke down. I work with men all night. Sometimes they would be surprise I would not say no on helping out. Even if I had my nails done that day. Regardless whatever I was told to do I did it. I can say that my department was a great place to work. I wish I had the chance to say goodbye, but even to the last day I still followed orders from my manager on what he want me to do even if I really just want to stay goodbye deep down. The guys are the best coworker I have ever had to work with. If someone ask me about working in that department I would tell them that it is the greatest department. I have nothing negative to say about the company. Just thank you again...
Pros
Coworker hang out after working hour for some bowling. Cook out
Nice employees, but lacks organization.
COMMERCIAL TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2015
The employees were nice and made the work day enjoyable, but the company lacks organization and needs to prioritize work loads.
very old fashioned basic work eniviorment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxAugust 17, 2015
Entry level type job if your looking to get some experience in the freight industry helped me learn the basic most of the ins an out of that type of business
IT co-worker very responsible and professional
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 22, 2015
nice people, always professional, honest, hard workers. everybody know what are the expectation and know the company policy and maintain a good relationship with other offices.
good ppl
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2014
Good people/ below avg pay. Everyone I worked with was fair and most of the staff there was quite fun.
Great work environment,with high expectations for efficiency
TRANSPORTATION LOGISTICS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2014
Clock in at 6pm go to my office witch was located at the front entrance of the main trucking yard.i would start the day off with some paper work and data entry then start D.O.T. (department of transportation)... inspections for every truck and trailer that came in or out of the yard.at 12am i would report to central dispatch to log in and start to coordinate local and national loads of freight until 6am. They hardest part of my job was trying to get a hold of customers and distributors at 2:00 am - 4:00am because one of my drivers is either there to drop off or pick up a load and there`s nobody there to receive or fill the order. The best part of my job was the people i worked with.They expected a lot but were invested in putting you in the best position to succeed.
Pros
christmas bonus
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwestern Motor Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8