SpaceX
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

SpaceX Employee Reviews

United States578 reviews

Will work you to the bone if you let it, need to find good balance

Everything is really fast paced, stressful, scary here; if that environment is not for you, you should try searching other places. However, you will usually get projects that do have pretty high impact to the company. You get to work on really cool projects and you learn alot.

It was a good year.

It was exciting although i got booted from the position I was hired to fulfill and was happy doing it. I didn't get paid more to change positions and the person who took over soon got fired for not doing the job correctly which I was doing just fine. Overall fun but not really a place you get respected by higher-ups. However, I had a lot of great experiences mainly due to my coworkers.

SpaceX insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

If you have depression, this company will not hire you

This company only hires those that are “normal”. They claim to be an equal opportunity employer but if you have any type of mental illness, for example, they will not hire anyone for that. You have to be a “normal” citizen without problems in your life.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Poor management

Great job for first job, not for older/with families

SpaceX is the fastest paced and most exciting Aerospace company to work for. You will be given immense responsibility and for the most part you are in charge of your part and it’s success is up to you. You will learn a TON and contribute to the mission fast and often. That will be rewarding… for a while… Fresh out of college/single people will do great here. But as soon as you get married or have children this job will have you chose between your family and the job. The hours are long, there are no child care incentives, and you may even get divorced (I know I almost did). This company will chew you up and spit you out. This is not a bad thing! You will gain immense experience and be grateful for your time. Unfortunately you just have to be a crazy motivated person who is willing to compromise family time to stay here longer than 10 years.

Pros

Amazing experience and responsibilities.

Cons

No work life balance and no child care or long term family leave incentives.

Would not recommend.

Would not recommend unless you enjoy being overworked and under appreciated. They claim that there is movement and opportunity but that is only for those liked by management.

Very demanding job

Working at Space X gave me the experience I needed to advance in the Aerospace field. That said I don’t think I would ever work for this company again. Management wasn’t the best. Sometimes with some unrealistic dead lines it pressured us to finish on time no matter what.

Job of a lifetime

Incredible people and an amazing job where individual impact is huge. Hard to imagine being able to have more impact on the world than spacex. Stress can be high and starting pay is lower than industry average, but stock appreciation makes up for it.

overall it is a good place to work, they have almost all the tools you need and subsidized lunch, free flow of all kinds of soft drink and coffee.

10 hrs daily is mandatory, week end is voluntary.Management is suck, you can have a lot of perks if you know or related to somebody in high level.They do not have union so if your supervisor does not like you or a racist, you can expect to be terminated at the end of the year.

Pros

subsidized lunch, free flow of soft drinks, coffee, milk

Cons

no union

Single best place to work at, in ALL of this nation's aerospace industry, seriously! Im dying to go back in with Spacex, but bot in the west coast

Best job ever, best team ever, best goals ever, best conditions of work and propper equipment with focus on safety and quality craftsmanship, a definate meritocrassy! That works!The skills learned translateto othre industries and you are includedi n the desicion making process of where you would like to work best. It trully was th ebest place to work for.Now LA is trash and traffic was a nightmare, commuting is expensive, but the attractions and perks (discounts) for being a member unequaled, specially th estock shares gift at recruitment was a super motivator.Pay could have been better VS the extreme cost of living, but all the sacrifices where worth it, real feelings of accomplishment when even the guys in space sound off on record co.plimebting our products.

Not a fun place to be if you have a life

This place was the best place I worked at even though people are soft and fire others for the smallest of reasons the pay is the worst and there’s a lot of people picking favorites and seeing as this is the richest company in the world our equipment is the worst the dumb workers keep their jobs yet the good ones lose it over an email eat a bag of richards spaceX

Pros

Pay your lunch with badge

Cons

Getting fired for a simple email, people having their feelings hurt easily, not being appreciated for your skills, and you will have no time to handle personal affairs, and your work is not appreciated

Fun place to work at.

I love working for Space X. It is the best place I have ever worked for. The hours and time were great! My staff and supervisor were great people to work with. Unfortunately, I had to relocate and leave SpaceX. It was sad.

Driven work environment with rewarding work and great teammates

Both the work and teammates that you'll be working with are awesome. If you want to join a team of incredibly intelligent people and build rockets, this is the place you want to be.They also have on-staff barista! If you're a caffeine addict, that's a plus too.

Pros

Interesting work

Productive and comfortable

Hours are long, days are long. OT non stop. Great $$ for young single person who is ready to dedicate all your day to this company and probably still get laid off.

Great Mission

Long hours, decent pay. Managers are good and coworkers are great! The mission is fast paced and a good motivator. It's fun to be on the leading edge of space flight.

Pros

Mission

Cons

Hours

Productive days

Always something new installations, learn everyday as a technician work with experience engineers and help you on your task to be more easy by gathering all the information needed

Great place to work, especially for Veterans. You will definitely will be challenged, but it can be worth it!

You will work long hours, and it will be pretty demand, obviously that varies with location, exact job, schedule, and the individual. But overall very rewarding and has been a great experience. I am pretty satisfied with the pay and the stock options. The work and hours can be taxing... but at the end of the day the people/mission/experience all make it worth it. You can have great success here but you must be willing to put in the hours.

horrible work-life balance at a company rife with nepotism

Your experience will be contingent upon who your manager is, which can be like a revolving door. The only constant across every department at SpaceX are the long hours. Hard work, productivity and consistency is seldom rewarded with anything other than a possible acknowledgement and much more responsibility at the exact same pay rate. If you socialize and drink with supervisors, managers or directors, the likelihood of a pay increase might go up. Unless your designated parking is directly across the street, parking can be leave you over half mile away, which means you need to arrive several minutes earlier and add several minutes to home commute.

Pros

- Working with talented technicians, - the SpaceX brand can attract attention to your resume - add it and GET OUT.

Cons

- poor work-life balance, - poor pay coming from the world's richest human, - horrible parking, - Nepotism, - safety hazards EVERYWHERE and if you point them out it can tarnish your reputation.

Most enjoyable part is being a part of SpaceX and seeing launches

Depending on what department you are in really depends on what level of training, respect, advancement, etc. The best part was feeling you contributed to the overall mission. Launching rockets is amazing to be part of but the day to day grind with low pay and expected long hours with a more reactive mindset (instead of proactive planning) can wear you down. Some departments have every single step dialed in but then the constant push to go further faster causes constant last minute jump through hoops. The people on the ground pull through but it's exhausting because there is no let up. Some managers are also burnt out so they just don't care as much anymore.

Intriguing at first. Intrusive later.

Move close and work 12 Hours a day.Good place to work if u have no personal life.Starting a new family ???Look elsewhere for work or be prepared to miss out on birthday’s etc.

Pros

Lots of food. Cheap T shirts

Cons

Erratic management.

SpaceX is not a fun place to Wilkie building for at the wilke building

They have their pics and chooses on who they would like to have working for them,It's a hostile work environment at the Wilkie facility, lack of training.

Fun place to work

It was an exciting place to work, challenging and mission-driven. I was a part of the first team that built the launch pad. Long hours, great culture and we did something the world has never seen and said we couldn't do.

Pros

free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. worked with some of the smartest people in the world.

Cons

work-life balance, you marry the job.

Common questions about SpaceX

Answered by current and former employees at SpaceX

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpaceX. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at SpaceX.
Powered byComparably

Compare SpaceX with

• SpaceX
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?