SpaceX Employee Review

One star to many
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, CADecember 25, 2013
I have been in aerospace for 10 years now and I am at a complete loss for words with how this company is run. There is no tool control which anyone who has been in aviation has had pounded into their head. There is no formal training and worst of all there are no specifications! i.e. there is both a MIL-SPEC and FAA AC 43.13-1B that cover the acceptable criteria of a button head AD rivet (most common fastener in aviation) but not at SpaceX! To back that up most of the tech they hire have little to no experience, best case scenario they spent a few years in the military but thats a select few. The lack of quality is another mind blower. There are very few inspection steps when building some flight critical components which most technicians just skip and hope the inspectors will just shrug it off (most of them do). I have also watched techs forge a signature for an engineer to inspect the turbine wheel after a test run, no big deal.

When I first hired on I was unsure if I had what it took to be an inspector at SpaceX but after a few weeks I quickly realized I was the most qualified. The less experience you have the better so you wont realize how out of control this place is. If the FAA or DCMA ever do an audit this place is going to be shutdown until they get their head out of their behind.

Most of the management has no experience in aviation. For some reason they love to hire foreign car people from BMW and Mini to build rocket ships. Hey how about going down the road to Aviation Blvd and snagging some Lockheed, Boeing or raytheon guys?

Don't worry though, there
  more... is an anonymous email you can send to upper management to express concerns about the company. Weird thing is when you send a nasty gram "anonymously" and get pulled into a meeting with the same people you sent it to the next day.

All in all if you have any sort of professionalism or care for aviation this place is not for you. You can't argue you points to management because they A: Don't know anything about aviation/aerospace and wont know what your talking about B: Respond with the generic "Thats how we do it at SpaceX" answer or C: Get upset for not drinking the SpaceX juice and shutting up like the rest of them.

I hate to bash on the company so hard but for a place that has the resources to do everything right and yet they still do it so wrong is completely unacceptable. I hope the company gets some real management to turn thing around soon before it is to late.
Pros
Ping Pong, Poor Management
Cons
Poor Management, Long Hours, No Training, Poor Quality

Other SpaceX Employee Reviews

Either Spacex is your life, or you have no life at all.
CMM Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAMay 23, 2018
Very proud company to work at and the achievements are awesome but the work/life balance is terrible. Compensation is not competitive to the market. Very interesting place to work at overall but needs maturity as a company.
I worked there.
Structural Technician (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CA 90250May 20, 2018
It was a good place at the start but got more stupid by the day. It was not a good experience in my opinion. I worked there on the Falcon rocket, stage 2.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpaceX. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

68out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at SpaceX.