SPAR Field Services Employee Reviews

Great work/life balance but that's it.
Merchandiser/Sales (Former Employee) –  New EnglandJanuary 3, 2019
A potentially decent opportunity is lost in corporate greed and bad management. The jobs themselves are not that exciting but they are like little projects that I was in charge of. Basically, I was changing the set-up or display presentation of different sections/resets.

Work environment: Working in different stores in different towns. The stores are auto parts and dollar type stores(At least where I worked.) which tended to be somewhat rundown.

My experience working at different merch. companies is that SPAR is the worst. Combining work environment, management, work/time estimate and tax issues which I'll get into, they are definitely a sub par company.

Taxes:
This is my main gripe with SPAR. I could deal with everything else but their tax strategy is definitely shaky. Personally, I think it's illegal.

How can you hire someone, give them an hourly rate, bill the work on an hourly basis and give them a badge but pay as a 1099 employee? As far as I know, they are the only merch. company that does this.

This is the reason I do not recommend anyone work for SPAR. If you are or have like me, then I suggest filing an IRS Form 8919 and Form SS-8 with your taxes. It'll be extra work but you should be able to make SPAR pay the portion of SSN that they are supposed to and it could end up being thousands of dollars you will save.
Pros
Make own schedule. Work on own
Cons
Tax implication. Poor working spaces. Bad management. Filing for extra hours on job.
Flexible work but low pay
Former Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 9, 2018
I didn't like i used up a whole lot of my printer ink just to print out the planogram and assignment instructions.It would be better if the job was $10 to $15 an hour for an 5 to 6 hours day rather than getting paid $12 to $20 per store visit.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low pay
W2 work paid as contractors
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKOctober 25, 2018
Some merchandising companies might qualify as I9 employers, but SPAR has too many job requirements and deadlines - they should definitely be paying their employees as actual employees, with proper taxes paid and remitted to the IRS and not contractors. They also required that you pay their 'insurance' company, even though the insurance was not required in my state.
This is the WORST company to be associated with Run! Run!
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  FLOctober 20, 2018
I have been with Spar over 4 years and they have been going down hill for months. I have had 5 supervisors if you want to call them that. No communication. They pay by the project would you work for $2.50? Absolutely NO benfits plus they take a percentage of your check for quote " workman's comp" I personally am looking for another job you can do what you like but I do not recommend this company at all!
Pros
Cons
Everything even the kitchen sink
Flexible hours
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2018
Flexible hours and competitive pay. Great for part time work. Various locations various definitely a customer based company that gets you the retail experience you need in order to build a better relationship between you and the customer.
Pros
Work your own hours
Cons
Weekly hours are various
Lack of pay increase
RETAIL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VASeptember 20, 2018
Pay does not commensurate experience. the level of physical work does not agree with the rate of pay. The benefits are extreme flexibility and lack of constant supervision.
Pros
Flexibility
Not worth your time
Field Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLSeptember 8, 2018
To start, the pay is poor and on top of that once you get your pay detail you will see that they do not pay you the correct amount. The screw up your direct deposit. They harrass you constantly for you to complete the jobs. The management is incompetent, don't have a clue when you ask a question or they just ignore you. Don't waste your time with this company.
Cons
Poor management
Not worth the gas or the time cant believe i wasted 8 weeks hoping it would get better
Merchandiser / independent contractor (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 18, 2018
They want you to drive 18 miles for 1 task that pays $2.50 and no mileage then when they didn't receive the products to do the task you don't get paid and then you have to go back every week for a month to find out you weren't paid once for it.
You do resets that say they take 3 hours and then when it takes 6 or more you put in your hours then they want you to fill out another form to get paid you don't get paid very much and do a ton of work. I quit because working for 55 hours one week and making only 2 hours the next then you get your check and realize you did not fill out overtime properly. So you got protect pay which is less than minimum wage. As a single mother and paying more than my pay in gas this company sucks.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Low pay lots of unpaid miles and hours.
Part time
Merchandising Representative (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, CAAugust 7, 2018
This position was great for staying at home with my son. I would be able to take him to school, work or not, then pick him up from school. It's time for him to graduate so it's time for me to work full time again. I am looking forward to it.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
little pay
If you need extra money it could be OK
Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandAugust 1, 2018
I have worked as an independent contractor doing furniture assemblies for the past 4 years. They are flexible and this can be done around another job. The pay is very low (they will offer $22.80 to build a desk when the customer paid $120 for the assembly alone) and my supervisor in particular is a poor manager. Things were good for the first two years but since then the pay has dropped making the jobs not worth it. There is no loyalty, just because you pick up the low paying quick jobs does not mean that they will assign you the higher paying jobs. If you need a side job like I did in college it can work out and you will earn a little bit of money but you will need a regular job also.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay-outs, Poor supervisor oversee's RI

Want to know more about SPAR Field Services?

Ask a question
would recommend Spar
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJuly 28, 2018
work at your own pace, you choose your area to work but have deadlines to meet. Reporting daily is required. no one looks over your shoulder so work ethic is important.you are given all materials and information to do the job with friendly support personnel. smart phone or tablet required for reporting.
Pros
you can work as many locations as you desire
Cons
if you live in rural areas the locations may be too far apart to merit the travel time
Run don’t walk
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2018
Make 12 bucks an hour..they take out workman’s comp....you take out taxes and you end up making 9 bucks an hour....if the project on the reset team isn’t complete then they ask you to put in 11 hours a day to get it done....not willing to negotiate if they really want the reset complete,but cry to you on the phone they are in trouble with the client..uhmmm not to me seems like you don’t want to get it done....I’m a 1099 it’s CALLED NEGOTIATION if you want me to bus my behind to help you out...most Broker companies when they are in trouble negotiate with us 1099 business owners to save face with their clients
Pros
Cons
Cheap Chickens..
no help from management guess work most of the time
Merchandiser specialist (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 3, 2018
started this job 15 jobs so i worked everyday for 3 an half weeks.Was told that we don't work weekends but everybody does .As soon as i got caught up jobs became less in less then haired another person to help in area .So i went so much work i didn't think i would ever get caught up to last month i work i had one job that was going to pay me 18.00$ for the whole month and it was in another town 25 miles away .18.00 might pay for gas?
Pros
set your own hours if your not be-hide
Cons
doing jobs 2 or 3 people should be doing not one
I liked making my own hours
Accessory Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 24, 2018
This was a independent contractor job. They work with various companies. Nice people to work with. You had a certain amount of time to get the job done.
Fun work place, friendly staff
Package Handler/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 21, 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company they were very nice and helpful to any employee who needed assistance. It's a fast pace job and working with a team made it all worth it
Pros
Long work days extra hours
Cons
Closed on weekends
From my experience, the cheapest of all merch companies
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 17, 2018
A typical day at work? Log onto Spar's website and check through jobs. These jobs have NO pay amount listed or any additional details. Request a job, it gets approved then you can see the pay amount and the job details. However, by now, they expect you to do the job since you requested it. Drive to a store and do a reset that has a time limit and usually not enough time allowed to do it properly. Then go do a 45 minute audit at another store. Hours are rarely more than 5 a week unless you like to drive over 40 miles to do 2 hour resets and 45 minute audits.
What I learned? I learned that as a contractor for Spar, they get away with deducting 4.5% of my pay each paycheck for "Workman's Comp Insurance", because I can not afford my own. I also learned that I do not really make $10 an hour, I make $9.55 an hour due to the aforementioned.
Management? Never met face to face. Management has been pleasant and cooperative to deal with other than a couple of times I have had to send a second email because they forgot about the first email I sent.
Workplace culture? I work alone so I don't really have much of an opinion on this. Most of the store managers have been great. If I have a store with a rude or bossy manager I simply will not do that store again.
The hardest part of the job? Accepting jobs from the cheapest of all merchandising companies. I mean c'mon, even the other bottom of the barrel companies will pay for gas mileage or throw in a bonus to do an overdue job. These people expect you to live off of scraps.
The most enjoyable part of the job? Same as any merchandising
  more... job. Not being micro managed. Working at different places. Just being responsible and accountable and being my own boss.  less
Pros
No one present to micro manage you.
Cons
Low pay, workman's comp insurance taken from each check, no mileage pay, no bonuses.
It is what you make it.
Independent Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 15, 2018
I have had this job for the last few years. I love the flexibility which keeps me here. If I ever want more jobs one week , I ask and I normally receive . The managers are very nice .
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Non taxed income>
Overall great place to work
Telecommunications Administrator (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 14, 2018
Any job you go to you will have it's pros and cons. Only con with SPAR is the culture. Otherwise the company offered me a great place to grow and advance. I had the best manager a person could ask for.
Don't waste your time and gas !
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 9, 2018
I worked for this company for weeks at different locations , east and west..didn't pay me for gas or milage just wanted to know if I could go to work ! The pay is so Terrible I wouldn't suggest ANYONE to work for this company. I worked at least 3-5 hrs everyday for two weeks , did all the work I was asked and even previous employees work that quit on the company.. overall I was paid $44 for my two weeks worth of work..my first check was $40 and they sent me another check two weeks later for $4 and some change . A complete waste of time, hard work and gas and on top of that I was 7 months pregnant putting in all that work for just $44 !
Pros
Work around your own time
Cons
VERY low pay!!!
Flexible
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  LouisianaJune 7, 2018
The job is very flexible. It works around my other 2 jobs and home life. Management is very willing t work with you with assignments and emergencies. The pay could be better but if you report mileage and overtime you will be paid for it. Overall I would highly recommend t any college student needing a flexible schedule. The hours week to week will vary. The option to travel is always there and allows you to make more money.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPAR Field Services. Our community is ready to answer.