Sparetime Entertainment Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work if you like interacting with people quite often
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 30, 2018
I'm a Custodian at this place, and I got to say it's not that bad to me personally. Even though I'm only on working part-time, I like fact that I live less then 10 minutes from there. The hours vary though because people sometimes quit their position, so a door opens for another to take that spot.
Pros
Discounts, arcade area
Cons
Schedule changes on a weekly basis
Family owned and family focused
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 19, 2018
Spare Time is a family owned and operated facility focused on providing a safe and friendly environment for our guests and staff alike. we do our best to give guest the best entertainment experience available in the Lansing area. A typical day includes assisting guests with bowling, attractions or answering questions. Working well with other teammates is absolutely critical. During the winter we are incredibly busy and the high volume of guests coming through can be intimidating.

The most enjoyable part of the working at Spare Time is making those personal connections with our guests. We a small local business with high repeat customers, many of whom have been coming here for years. The owners truly care about the staff and go above and beyond to make accommodations when employees have personal issues.
Pros
Friendly and caring management, flexible hours
Cons
High volume business, busy times include weekend and holidays.
great potential, poorly managed.. dont understand the restaurant/bar side of the business
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 18, 2018
The change from a bowling company to an entertainment company was a great challenge. While management knew the entertainment side of the company, they often lacked the ability to effectively manage the restaurant/bar side of the business. Constantly understaffed and undertrained, the bar business suffered and bartenders were always overwhelmed and lacking the tools they need and the support staff or additional bartenders necessary for effective business. I found that they had enough volume (quantity), but often suffered on the quality of a guests and employee experience. Communication with staff was lacking and most of the shifts there difficult, long, short-staffed and stressful.
Poorly
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Owatonna, MNMay 29, 2018
They treat their employees poorly, and they don't have a stable management system. The hardest thing there was that people acted nice to you to your face, but when you turned around it seemed like everyone was about drama and not working.
poor quality
Kitchen Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 22, 2018
hires employees who don't care about company policy or procedure will never let anyone pass the 39 hour limit so no chance to make a real career no advancment
Productive and Fun work place!
Birthday Hostess (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 9, 2018
I love working here it’s a fun enjoyable atmosphere! They were so accommodating while I was pregnant and after birth they waited until I was ready to come back
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Most likely you won’t take breaks
Fast paced, competitive bowling alley
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYApril 9, 2018
Spare Time Entertainment was an okay company to work for. Even though they barely gave out 20+ hours a week, with minimum wage pay. It was the kind of job a person would get just to have extra pocket change
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Felt like I was constantly talked down to as a cleaning crew member
Great job for young adults
Customer service/ meet the needs of the people (Former Employee) –  Trussville, ALApril 2, 2018
fun place to work system takes a little time to learn everything. But coworks are awsome and people that come into the bulding are fun and really nice, every now and again you will get a not so nice customer
Pros
free food, free games
Cons
no healthcare, manager
Fun work place
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTMarch 28, 2018
My job at Spare Time is my fun job as i like to call it... A typical work day is greeting customer's, setting up lanes, answering phone calls, handing money, making reservations setting up parties. I've learned so much there and that's the place where i knew i wanted to pursue a Receptionist career. There's really no hard part to this job, maybe seeing the kids leave crying because they don't want to leave. I love everything about this job from the regulars to the bowling.
Fun workplace but chaotic and understaffed
Server (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 24, 2018
This is my account of the time I worked at Spare Time Entertainment: I assisted in the opening of the business and thoroughly loved the ambiance of the establishment and a few of the assistant managers were just wonderful people who did a great job with what they were given when opening an establishment, rarely saw and/or spoke with the general manager at the time...he would disappear at important moments or situational chaos, Understaffed, Weekly security issues including customers smoking in bathroom and employees being close to being held at gunpoint by group of gang members, this place could have been managed more carefully and closely while I was there.
Pros
Employee parties and games
Cons
Chaotic, understaffed, lack of manager attention
Most fun Job to have!!!
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTFebruary 8, 2018
I started to work for Spare Time Entertainment at the Colchester VT location in April of 2017, at the time I was working Front Desk, I was then promoted about a month and a half later to Manager on Duty (due to past working experience and positive review), and was closing 4 days a week, I LOVED IT! it was the hours I liked to work and my co-workers were great as well! I loved my managers and had an awesome time at work! I didn’t dread going to work like I would if I worked somewhere else! But, December 2017 I found out I was pregnant and it got to be a medical issue when it came to things like lifting the bowling balls, and serving food, so I turned in my 2 weeks and I wish I could’ve continued working through my pregnancy! When I’m no longer pregnant maybe I can come back to Spare Time Entertainment.
Pros
99¢ games of bowling, 50% off food, flexible hours, great atmosphere, awesome staff
Open area.
Game Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTFebruary 5, 2018
When I first started working there i was cleaning tables and getting the lanes ready for the next set of bowlers to come. Eventually i got moved to the game room.
I Love Working Here
Server (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, MNJanuary 16, 2018
I love working at Sparetime. Fun place to be. I disagree with some of the bad reviews. Those employees are complainers and don't feel they need to work hard to make a go of things. For those of us that show up to work hard, the tips are great. Bar manager is great and treats everyone fairly.
Pros
Atmosphere - fun place for employees and customers
Very Stressful Workplace with scattered management and very unmotivated employees.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Owatonna, MNJanuary 12, 2018
I loved my job at Sparetime Entertainment however it was difficult because there is absolutely no recognition for working harder. Management always preferred the people that were there longer even though they were unmotivated and lazy. It was stressful because I would work hard and made the lazy ones look better.
Fast paced
Chef (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 29, 2017
Workers were dedicate to customer satisfaction and the managers always did their best to keep all workers satisfied. If I didn't have to move I was going to be made manager.
Few employees doing there jobs, most of the time two or so doing everything.
Mixologist/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 20, 2017
I enjoyed working with most everyone there, but you could count on someone always cheating you out of tip outs, or not doing their job completely, and leaving you stuck with finishing it. Management was unfair, or should I say certain ones, since only favored employees got the vip parties, and the rest of us two a year. Also, there was no money too be made whatsoever when I left, since the business had been reduced drastically, due to cutting of the specials on certain nights. I enjoyed this bartending position in the beginning, but it went down hill quick, like a roller coaster at the top of the first big fall!
I learned a valuable lesson, that you won't change anything for the better, when everybody else has been doing whatever they want for so long, nothing will ever change that behavior, unless it's forced, and that just wasn't going to happen here!
Pros
half off food
Cons
Nobody(mgmt & employees) did their jobs
Unprofessional
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 17, 2017
I was unsatisfied with the level of professionalism I have been shown since I was hired. I quit after 4 days of working. A front desk manager would talk about employees in front of others. No proper training and very relaxed atmosphere. There is no team or leadership among staff but they are are very nice associates. Things are very unorganized and probably have no plans of fixing the problems.I became very frustrated with how things operate during my training and concluded it wasn't worth my time. Ideal if you want something easy and chill.
Pros
discounts
Cons
unprofessional
Spare Time was a great company to work for, if everyone worked together.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Trussville, ALDecember 16, 2017
Spare Time Entertainment was a an overall great company to work for, it would make it a better place if everyone worked together as a team to complete task and work towards a better work environment.
Pros
Relaxed atmorsphere
Cons
So relaxed to many things are let go when they should have been addressed.
Management overall age very low
Event Specialist (Former Employee) –  Trussville, ALNovember 19, 2017
Difficult to be an adult in a workplace run by indecisive management.
Regional Management older and effective. No chance of advancement. It is a bowling alley and entertainment center, after all.
Most days were fun environmentally. I did love what I was hired to do as an Event Specialist.
If you only want very few hours, this is the place too be.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 6, 2017
If you are a bartender, and last one hired, expect too have the worst days, you will get no parties, and if you are a hard worker, you will be cleaning up after the other bartenders. I don't recommend this job to a very hard working individual whatsoever.
Pros
50% employee meal discount
Cons
No hours, unfairness is ridiculous, poor management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sparetime Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.