Sparrow Health System Employee Reviews

Busy busy
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 16, 2018
Great place to work however, my department was very short staffed. You are expected to be on you A game without taking break and/or lunch. Sometimes I felt under appreciated...
Needs new executive management
RN (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 15, 2018
Executive management is out of touch with the reality of the clinical issues. Only visible when there is a problem and they need to find a scapegoat. Focus on placing blame on individuals rather than fixing the system issues. Deep silos. See employees as easily replaceable and more of a liability. Executives are placed in positions for which they are not qualified. Promotion depends on who you know and how much of a yes person you are. Executive management does not want employees that are able to think and work independently. They want robots who simply do as they are told.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Staffed too thin, individual blame focused, system issue blind
Chaotic
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 9, 2018
Not enough staff to do the work, but that doesn't stop them from adding more, so IT projects are chaotic, haphazard, and often have unintended results that create more work. Many IT staff members have to work on-call but don't receive extra pay or comp days for the extra time. That said, many of the staff are very talented and accomplish a lot with a little, and many of the managers are excellent. But the organization itself is crushing its employees and it is sad to see.
Pros
Good people, telecommute for some
Cons
Overworked to the max
Sparrow Hospital RN
RN (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 25, 2018
Sparrow is a decent place to work, but some people tend to not do a great job and have no accountability for their actions. They also don't care if you work every weekend or not if you're not their friend. People who are close with management usually have a better schedule.
Produced a calm working enviroment daily
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 24, 2018
Daily my duties were to assist family and patients to out patient surgical location. Prep before surgery and teaching and training after surgery.
Yearly competency testing were administrated by me.
Set on focus groups , Volunteered yearly via T.V.
Raised funds for area organizations such as Susan G. Komen / America Cancer Society
Runs and walks to bring health benefit to our care givers.
Pros
Perks for welliness plans. Discounts on major brands purchased
Cons
Breaks were great., just use time wisley
No Job development
PreService Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 17, 2018
No opportunity to advance, even meeting the job qualifications needed. There are limited administrative positions that open and preference is given to seniority rather than education and skills.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Pay and Job Advancement
change management
Release of Information Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 5, 2018
Good communication during department transitions with change management. Also, encouraged continued education and skill development before during and after.
Much room for advancement and learning. Collaborative and supportive.
RN-Many Roles (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 28, 2018
I worked here over 15 years and loved it. It is a teaching hospital, level one trauma center, so many opportunities. I started out as an RN on the cardiac step down with the hardest interview I've ever had! Fast paced, but doable. Moved over to burn unit and loved it! Staff helpful and had high integrity. Burn unit was closed due to budgets, and so I moved over to Compliance as a Medical Auditor. It was a very new role for me and I had great support from that team and it was where I learned most of my computer skills. I expanded my team's role to add more value and ended up with a 12% raise one year. I made more money than ever working on the floor, and every year I had the opportunity to work for merit bonuses based on identified and written stretch goals. Our team was able to save the health system millions of dollars and I learned SO much. This was the favorite job in my lifetime. Ended up after hours hospice after some changes in the Compliance Department.
The only reason that I left was to be closer to my family after my own bout of cancer.
Pros
Great room for advancement and research, room to expand and learn
Cons
none that I could think of.
So much potential, many bright spots and people, but can move slowly or get stuck in analysis.
Director (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 21, 2018
If Sparrow can find a way to remove some of the management red tape and look to the fortune 500 for best practices for their overall business efforts it will see more successful results in areas that struggle.
Pros
many of the people| strong compensation| good resources
Cons
benefits weakening but still good| encumbers different business units.
Saprrow Health Systems
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 17, 2018
They look at their bottom line over the safety of their staff and patients. When the hospital expanded they didn't take in to consideration they would need more staff to cover the overflow of patients.
Good Starter Job in Medical Field Office
Rehab Support Staff/ Secratary (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 16, 2018
Good place to get your foot into , to see if you want to become a medical professional. Lots of opportunity to go back to school and work at the same time. Learned more about what running an office is like. Being in charge of staffing and scheduling people for days to work and classes. Setting up meeting and rooms, making sure copies and charts are correct.
Pros
Flexable schedule, hours
Cons
A lot to do with out the minimum pay benifits.
Housekeeping
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lansing miJuly 7, 2018
We are over work under paid the bosses don't listen to you when you have a problem and as a housekeeper you are looked down as you are worthless and dumb I like most of my coworkers
Pros
Wonderful people to work with
Cons
Not enough people
Sparrow review
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ionia, MIJune 11, 2018
I enjoy the fast paced environment. Unfortunately, majority of the time we are short staffed which places more work on employees. Have not received quarterly bonus in about 3 years. Minimal pay raises. Insurance is great, but monthly premiums have gone up a lot over the last few years.
not much to say
RN (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 3, 2018
This place has gotten way to big for its own house. They treat patients like numbers and dismiss then if they are over weight, to ill for them to "Save" I would never go here for care
Pros
Not much
Cons
rude, over paid, rude, non-caring Arrogant, oh did i say rude??
Parking Managment
Customer service liaison (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 3, 2018
Never saw or spoke to the head people in the department unless something went bad. I didn't even know who was in charge which isn't good you should be able to develop and create a relationship with the top guys/gals in charge I believe.
Out of the five managers I have had, one was outstanding.
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 15, 2018
Thankful for the good people with selfless work ethics and positive attitudes.

There needs to be more training or at least conversation, with managers and employees regarding inclusiveness among the team. Everyone,, has something they can bring to the table,,,, everyone.
Pros
Great customer/ patient base.
Good place to work many years ago, when I worked there.
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 25, 2018
I was on a 2 week rotating day shift schedule. That meant I worked different day hours pending where or what I was scheduled for that 2 week period.

My favorite things to do was going to surgery, doing portable exams and going to the morgue.

I had great employees to work with.
Pros
New x-ray department and equipment
Cons
Micromanagement
Stressful Fast Paced
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 16, 2018
While being a fast paced work culture, management expected you to do more with less and while this is a fiscal decision it was not practical or well thought out creating a toxic environment and stress induced productivity shortage.
Pros
Benefits for health and dental
Fast paced, busy enviroment
CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 5, 2018
Sparrow Hospital is a very busy environment to work in. Shifts are 8 hours. The hospital lacks in education for staff and could benefit in more organization to insure processes are streamlined but also done correctly and as efficiently as possible. Management works to try to be hands on, but frequently drops the ball to be transparent and open with staff or follow up issues other then those that effect budgets.
Pros
broad range of exams and ability to learn, advances equiptment
Cons
poor education program, poor management
Productive, fun place to work
Supply Chain Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 2, 2018
Sparrow Health System is filled with wonderfully nice people. Very collaborative workplace that promotes one to reach out to colleagues for advice or clarity.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Pace of progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sparrow Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight