Spartan Shops Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
fun place to work just requires a lot of time
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 17, 2018
Great place to work with cool coworkers, management was good the only complaint i really had was it required a lot of time which was hard to juggle with school
Productive, multiple responsibilities, very busy climate
HEAD CHEF (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 16, 2018
Working at Spartan Shops at San Jose State was a great learning experience. You are given the ability to create and teach a vast amount of food within all cultures. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and inspiring the student population. As the head chef you learn to conduct yourself with all outside vendors accordingly and to control and watch your food and labor cost effectively.
Pros
Student Culture, Time off
Cons
Communication
stressful and busy work environment
Receiver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 8, 2018
cook and prepare food. Ensure all work surfaces are cleaned and sanitary. properly stock all goods. Each day the shift lead will assign you to a new task.
very productive
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Spartan Shops, Inc. is committed to building strong partnerships and developing future leaders. They strive to integrate environmental and financial responsibility within our practices, while providing dynamic customer service and evolving with the needs of the San José State University Community.
Fun and Interactive Work Place
Concession Stand Worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 9, 2018
Spartan Shops gave me an opportunity to meet new people and learn from them. It was nice to have people talk to you when business was slow.
A typical day of work looks like prepping food and getting ready to sell those food. The management is the kindest people you would meet. However, the communication is unorganized with when a worker was going to work. What made me want to leave was getting a notification to work the day after I was suppose to come in. I haven't worked for almost a month so it was a false hope that I received.
Pros
Free food, nice people, lenient work area
Cons
not enough work hours, unorganized
Na
IT Student Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 8, 2018
It is a non profit organization so it runs on student employees who are mentored by full time senior employees. The exposure is good and the environment is fun.
It was ok
Lead 1 (Former Employee) –  Village marketJanuary 17, 2018
Ok place to work but the hours were rough (2am closing and 7am opening). Management was alright some were great and some were bad at their jobs. Employees were all great.
Pros
on campus
Cons
hours
lol
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2018
this is not a good place to work. if you have other option, you should take them because you wont grow much here. it is stressful for little return. yep.
Fun because it was managed by admin on the school campus
Barista, Deli Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95192January 7, 2018
it was actually my first job and in the beginning, management was great. There was a lot of cross training. I was trained on being a deli clerk, barista, and cashier. What I enjoyed the most about working there was the people i worked with and learning how to make different types of coffee. It also improved my communication skills with customers
Perfect for students
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 27, 2017
Excellent for students who need a work schedule to work around their class schedule. It also will work around school holidays as well. Fun to work with people your age also.
A Good Experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 2, 2017
Working at spartan shops was a great way for me gaining experience since this was my first ever paying job. I was first located at "Grounded" and then at "In The Mix" which were both slow paced with a few rushes here and there. When those rushes hit you learn to multitask with your co-workers to get the job done and satisfy the customers. Overall, the people were great whom I got to work with as well as the many customers which I got to know.
Pros
50 percent off any food place on campus, flexible with your class schedule
Cons
It's hard getting time off when there's no one to cover you
Great for experience
Brticks Pizza Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 19, 2017
Spartan shops was an excellent starting place for me as a workplace as experience is something that everyone needs. My overall view on this workplace is that it was a good stepping stone. Working as a member here was sometimes difficult because of the mass of people that come through here as a result of an open campus, and in contrast to that, it would be slow at times that would be inconvenient.
The management here was pretty good. They were very friendly and straightforward with what they wanted. As long as you comply with their needs, there shouldn't be any problems.
Comfortable environment for first time workers
customer service (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 3, 2017
It was my first on campus job, found it very fast-paced yet welcoming. Always something to do and a task to complete. Not god for people who like to stand in one place.
Pros
Half Off Food, Make Friends, On Campus
Cons
Very Fast Paced
Fun place to work
Lead, Stand manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 29, 2017
They have very flexible schedules that work around a college student's classes and finals. The company understands that a student's education comes first.
Great place to start your professional journey
Team Lead & Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Spartan Shops, although it may seem small, is a great place for a young professional to start their grind up to higher paying and more glamorous positions. It is the beginning trenches that all professionals can relate to as where they started.
Diverse workplace
Lead 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Working on a college campus made it very diverse which was wonderful. I met so many new people that my freshman year was nice.
Beginning was fun, later hectic (from 2011 to 2016)
Cash Handling, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 7, 2016
Spartan Shops, Inc was a fun company to work for in the beginning. Test employees by throwing them into the fire and see how they handle the situation. If handled well, employees would get a promotion and the cycle would repeat itself until an employee would either be burned out or quit. Occasionally, employees who are deemed worthy would be put into a manager position and would be expected to train new-hires. Since it is a company in a Cal State University, many student employees are hired and have trouble balancing both a job and school. Overall, I enjoyed my time until the last 2 years or so.
Pros
$200 monthly allowance for full-time employees
Cons
Managers lack experience and supervisors aren't fully trained on how to train employees
Productive and fun work environment
Senior Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my work day was getting a chance to socialize with my coworkers who I enjoyed working with greatly. I learned how to utilize my teamwork and leadership skills effectively. I also learned how to create and maintain social media marketing content and effectively run marketing campaigns using social media/print marketing.
Pros
Meal Passes
Cons
Maximum 25 hours per week for student interns
Working at the Village Market
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 19, 2016
Working with Spartan Shops at the Village Market was an educational and enjoyable experience. At the Village Market I learned to work with fellow employees and learned to work together with them to accomplish any task. Walking into the Village for a day of work was never a sad moment. You walk in say hi to all the employees, clock in, and get to work. No part of getting to work was difficult as I was trained very well to learn every task of the job. All aspects of working at the Village Market were enjoyable. I would love to go back and continue to work there.
Easy work but management is terrible
Event Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 17, 2016
Good job for starters in college but not the best job to stay with. Very flexible hours and can call off anytime.Work can be fun at time but when workers stop showing up everything is a mess.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short hours