SpartanNash Employee Reviews

Productive and fast paced
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 7, 2018
Productive and fast paced. I enjoyed the people who worked there. I did not enjoy the long hours very much. I have children sne the work - to - home ratio wasnt pleasant.
Don't work here! Save yourself
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MIDecember 6, 2018
This company couldn't care less about you. Get paid same as everyone regardless of experience or how long you've been with the company. No vacation time or sick pay. The management only approaches you when they think you do something wrong, which is all the time. They will always call you in. They think you owe everything to them. Your suggestions or concerns will get you nowhere. They will never back you up if a customer is giving you an issue. You're just a number to the company and are not valued at all. If you're expecting to be able to advance in this company, you won't. Don't waste your time
Pros
will work around school schedule
Cons
not respected at all
Great place to work.
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  York, NEDecember 3, 2018
Wonderful company to work for. This was a new opportunity for me and they did all possible to make sure I prospered. The general manager worked with me when time off was needed as I also was assisting my elderly mother.
An awful company with no grasp of reality
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Holland, MINovember 30, 2018
Don't work here if you ever expect to make enough money to live on. After 6 years I was making less than a dollar over base pay and three dollars less than starting pay at one of our competitors. Store management is fine, but upper management are don't care about anything but the columns of numbers in their reports and constantly make decisions that make no sense at the store level. My last year working here I got a 1.4% raise (less than 20 cents), while the President and CFO got a $540,000 bonus.
Pros
Good 401k
Cons
Awful pay and expensive benefits
Decent work environment
Truck Loader (Former Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHNovember 28, 2018
I did enjoy working through, everybody welcomed me on, and the managers were okay to me, it was also nice to work with my big brother, it was a good job for that moment
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Nothing to bad
Nash Finch was many years ago.
Computer Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 26, 2018
It was a good place to work. It was a long time ago. I was able to work on some special assignments there. I worked with a great group there, that is rare.
Pros
we had food catered in for celebrations.
Cons
too much money spent on salaries of the higher ups
Favorite Place of all time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WINovember 17, 2018
Corporate companies normally aren't all fun to be in, but in SpartanNash Family fresh, I found a work family in there. All the workers were all so nice, and supportive. I never regretted a day and looked forward to every shift there.
Some nice people
Telecom/Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edina, MN, Grand Rapids, MiNovember 16, 2018
Average place to work. Management encourages feedback but rarely follows through. Associates are nice but know that the office cannot sustain itself.
Pros
In building cafeteria
Cons
Management in another State.
A lot of hours
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MINovember 14, 2018
If you apply for this job ask yourself if you are willing to work 40+ hours a week and extra days out of nowhere. Pay is good if you can keep up a lot of heavy lifting. Fast pace environment with 2 20 minute breaks.
Pros
pay
Cons
long days and a lot of hours lack of managemen
Horrible work hours
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 14, 2018
Forced to work 20 days straight 10-12hrs a day and it doesn’t look as if anyone besides high senority will ever get a day off. Work all holidays and weekends. Heavy lifting and hard work. Cold environment. Great place for someone thats alone in the world.
Pros
pay
Cons
breaks, hours
Only come here strictly for work and a paycheck
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIOctober 21, 2018
They do not care about you and treat you like a slave. They are opposite of what they portray themselves in the community. It is very sad. Some people have been here 30+ years and get let go out of nowhere. Due to our jobs being shipped to another state.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
can be forced to work long shifts with only a 6 hour gap between shifts
Part time position for me
DELI COUNTER CLERK, FAMILY FARE (Former Employee) –  Rockford, MIOctober 21, 2018
Worked well with my schedule when I had young children in school to work around. I learned a lot and was able to use this time as a career builder moving forward.
Avoid at all costs
Guest Assistant Associate (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MIOctober 14, 2018
Even expecting that I would be at the bottom of the totem pole coming into this job I was blown away with how little respect there was. Co-workers, managers, customers, everybody looked down on you. Even after proving yourself as a valuable part of the "team" there, you still are shown little respect and basically have to beg for hours and to move up positions. Would not recommend this to anybody.
Pros
Work around school schedule
Cons
Everything else
weak culture, right out of the 80's. Work environment is horrible. Too many people in cubicles.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIOctober 8, 2018
Collaboration is poor. People are surface in relationships. IT is good but leading edge thought is only applied when "war for talent" becomes an issue.
Pros
compensation
Cons
See review
Decent
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
Most supervisors are horrible except for 2 that are very good and keep the place running well on the receiving side I was on. Often mandated to work 1-3 hours after scheduled and to work your 6th day.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, short breaks
Don't
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNOctober 7, 2018
Imagine having yourself put into a oven for 30 minutes, and in that oven is not burning coils but instead the insensate bull honky you could possible hear or see at any workplace. Most of the staff should've been drug tested as all are most likely on something. Everyone there is wack. The toxic environment doesn't help as everyone who has a somewhat "higher" paying job thinks they are the boss of everyone else. Everyone there talks behind everyone else's backs. I don't know how I've stayed there longer than five months.
Pros
food
Cons
Friendly enviroment in the Store but Headquarters aims for bottom line
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 23, 2018
The staff within at the store level are what makes this company a good place to work. But the Managment at the Cororate Office makes it difficult to make a living. Constantly cutting hours and un-willing to give a proper wage increase to those that recieve specialized training. Often one has to work two different deartments just to make hours for the week. This is what the Corporate Office sets unfortunately and this is what leads to issues in multiple deparments but the staff does their best to make it work with the support of other departments.
Pros
Great people to work with at Store level
Cons
Constabtly cutting hours
Great people. Terrible upper management
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 18, 2018
Hourly employees are all great. All upper management that I dealt with are complete robots. Sub-par Human Resources whom only respond when you threaten something drastic (ie. walking out/quitting.) Too many managers pulling in all different directions. Too many cheifs; not enough indians.
Pros
Early shifts. Department Managers
Cons
Upper management.
fast paced with horrible hours
Unloader/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 18, 2018
I worked early in the morning until we were done unloading & putting product away. Sometimes I worked 5 hours a day, other times I would work 10-13 hours.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2018
trying to see how fast we can pick a order ticket,beacuse if you finished a ticket before the allotted time that would be called an incentive which meant extra money on your pay check.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight