SpartanNash Employee Reviews

Avoid at all costs
Guest Assistant Associate (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MIOctober 14, 2018
Even expecting that I would be at the bottom of the totem pole coming into this job I was blown away with how little respect there was. Co-workers, managers, customers, everybody looked down on you. Even after proving yourself as a valuable part of the "team" there, you still are shown little respect and basically have to beg for hours and to move up positions. Would not recommend this to anybody.
Pros
Work around school schedule
Cons
Everything else
weak culture, right out of the 80's. Work environment is horrible. Too many people in cubicles.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIOctober 8, 2018
Collaboration is poor. People are surface in relationships. IT is good but leading edge thought is only applied when "war for talent" becomes an issue.
Pros
compensation
Cons
See review
Decent
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
Most supervisors are horrible except for 2 that are very good and keep the place running well on the receiving side I was on. Often mandated to work 1-3 hours after scheduled and to work your 6th day.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, short breaks
Don't
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNOctober 7, 2018
Imagine having yourself put into a oven for 30 minutes, and in that oven is not burning coils but instead the insensate bull honky you could possible hear or see at any workplace. Most of the staff should've been drug tested as all are most likely on something. Everyone there is wack. The toxic environment doesn't help as everyone who has a somewhat "higher" paying job thinks they are the boss of everyone else. Everyone there talks behind everyone else's backs. I don't know how I've stayed there longer than five months.
Pros
food
Great people. Terrible upper management
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 18, 2018
Hourly employees are all great. All upper management that I dealt with are complete robots. Sub-par Human Resources whom only respond when you threaten something drastic (ie. walking out/quitting.) Too many managers pulling in all different directions. Too many cheifs; not enough indians.
Pros
Early shifts. Department Managers
Cons
Upper management.
fast paced with horrible hours
Unloader/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 18, 2018
I worked early in the morning until we were done unloading & putting product away. Sometimes I worked 5 hours a day, other times I would work 10-13 hours.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2018
trying to see how fast we can pick a order ticket,beacuse if you finished a ticket before the allotted time that would be called an incentive which meant extra money on your pay check.
great work environment, busy, warehouse environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSSeptember 17, 2018
Enjoyed the fast pace working environment. Worked in warehouse environment, liked the hands on, physical work. Operating machinery and forklifts on a regular basis.
Good job but dont know about the union
Packer/Picker (Current Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHSeptember 11, 2018
Really easy job for someone but the pay is not that good at all. You can make money there BUT that is not until the union hires you in, until then you get a $1 pay raise after one year and that's it. You wait on the union which could be 2 years or longer!!
productive and competetive workplace,friendly environment.
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 7, 2018
friendly environment with more than average positive people.
Work is hard and rough , but you can make it sustainable with your income which is very depended on your speed and accuracy in performance.
Pros
free iced bottles of water in summer hot days.free coffee.discounted snaks at breakroom.
Cons
short breakes every 2 hours.insurance.401 k.etc
Terrible place to work
Order picker (Former Employee) –  Sioux FallsAugust 28, 2018
I had a terrible 8 month experience at this company. Not organized, short staffed all the time, unbalanced work schedule. Overall not a good company to work for.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Very hard job, unbalanced schedule, old and dirty bathrooms so and so fourth
Very bad place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHAugust 28, 2018
Management are clueless about what goes on. The company it self does nothing for there employee's. Most of the work is easy except for the upstream department. It's run by the teamsters union they are horrible.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Everything about it.
Yard Jockey (Current Employee) –  Midland, GAAugust 27, 2018
Great place to work but hard work could be expected at times, its a truck company. You would be working holidays and weekends. The job could be completive because your work is rated by production each day.
The company treated me well, occasionally free meal and a turkey for Thanksgiving.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 15, 2018
Working at MDV Nash/Finch was a fast pacing job, we worked on percentage. Mostly everything I did with the company, I learned in the Navy. I met some great people.
Pros
Free meals and turkey.
Cons
Health issues working in the freezer
Work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 12, 2018
Nice place to work good pay. . Everyone is a team player 30 minutes for lunch 15 minutes breaks clean warehouse different position to choose from if you're not good at one
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours some time
It used to be a good place to work
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 12, 2018
Prior to the merger with Spartan Foods, Nash Finch was a good place to work. The Edina office was focused on improving culture and providing work-life balance. Post-merger the focus shifted to siphoning jobs from Edina and moving to Grand Rapids, MI. The company spoke a lot about culture, but the reality was there were two cultures, the Grand Rapids culture (positive) and the Edina culture (waiting for the ax to drop). I do not recommend accepting employment with SpartanNash in Edina, MN as I don't believe it will be in your long-term best interests.
Manager lacks backbone
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NEAugust 10, 2018
The manager was really good at telling us what the rules were, but she had absolutely no backbone for enforcing those rules. For instance she would call a staff meeting, and tell us that we are not allowed to be on our cell phones while we are on the clock. When the meeting was over, people would go back out on the floor and be on their cell phones at the register while assisting customers. And she did nothing about it.
Cons
Manager lacks a backbone
It's a job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCAugust 10, 2018
My dad and brothers worked there so when it came time to work i knew where I would find a job. Co-workers are cool and it was good money at the time. I give this place a B-
Pros
home everyday at a decent time
Cons
place was old and falling down
Management supportive at Dickinson North store
Lead Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Store Dickinson, NDAugust 9, 2018
There are 2 stores in Dickinson, ND and I work at the North Store. My store manager has been supportive of my position from day 1 and has sent me for additional training when I asked for more. Which has paid off. I have worked for less than 6 months and my department scored 100% in my first corporate store audit. The first time ever for my department.

The store manager has worked every department in the store and lends a helping hand when short staffed or extra busy. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty when needed.

Benefits are good as I've earned vacation for my partial year worked and we are eligible for discounts from large vendors from cell phone companies, car companies, etc.

As in any company there are always a few Negative Nellie's. I prefer to take my break time with those with positive attitudes.

Paychecks are weekly and benefits include health care with reasonable rates as it is a large company. The usual 401K and company sponsored pension plan.
Pros
Hands-on and supportive Store Manager
Cons
You have to use or loose your vacation each year, no carry over.
great environment
General labor/ Cig Room (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, OHAugust 6, 2018
It was an amazing place to work,i loved everyone that i worked with, the only reasoned why i left was because i just had a baby and i couldn't be away from her that long when they switched to 12 hr days...
Pros
break times were longer than normal
Cons
work days are too long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight