SpartanNash Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It used to be a good place to work
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 12, 2018
Prior to the merger with Spartan Foods, Nash Finch was a good place to work. The Edina office was focused on improving culture and providing work-life balance. Post-merger the focus shifted to siphoning jobs from Edina and moving to Grand Rapids, MI. The company spoke a lot about culture, but the reality was there were two cultures, the Grand Rapids culture (positive) and the Edina culture (waiting for the ax to drop). I do not recommend accepting employment with SpartanNash in Edina, MN as I don't believe it will be in your long-term best interests.
Manager lacks backbone
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scottsbluff, NEAugust 10, 2018
The manager was really good at telling us what the rules were, but she had absolutely no backbone for enforcing those rules. For instance she would call a staff meeting, and tell us that we are not allowed to be on our cell phones while we are on the clock. When the meeting was over, people would go back out on the floor and be on their cell phones at the register while assisting customers. And she did nothing about it.
Cons
Manager lacks a backbone
It's a job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCAugust 10, 2018
My dad and brothers worked there so when it came time to work i knew where I would find a job. Co-workers are cool and it was good money at the time. I give this place a B-
Pros
home everyday at a decent time
Cons
place was old and falling down
Management supportive at Dickinson North store
Lead Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Store Dickinson, NDAugust 9, 2018
There are 2 stores in Dickinson, ND and I work at the North Store. My store manager has been supportive of my position from day 1 and has sent me for additional training when I asked for more. Which has paid off. I have worked for less than 6 months and my department scored 100% in my first corporate store audit. The first time ever for my department.

The store manager has worked every department in the store and lends a helping hand when short staffed or extra busy. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty when needed.

Benefits are good as I've earned vacation for my partial year worked and we are eligible for discounts from large vendors from cell phone companies, car companies, etc.

As in any company there are always a few Negative Nellie's. I prefer to take my break time with those with positive attitudes.

Paychecks are weekly and benefits include health care with reasonable rates as it is a large company. The usual 401K and company sponsored pension plan.
Pros
Hands-on and supportive Store Manager
Cons
You have to use or loose your vacation each year, no carry over.
great environment
General labor/ Cig Room (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, OHAugust 6, 2018
It was an amazing place to work,i loved everyone that i worked with, the only reasoned why i left was because i just had a baby and i couldn't be away from her that long when they switched to 12 hr days...
Pros
break times were longer than normal
Cons
work days are too long
Short staffed
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dickinson, NDAugust 2, 2018
There are never enough stockers. There is poor management in all departments. Not enough is being ordered to stock for sales floor. Turnover is high. Good employees let go for speaking up on issues. Staff is not cohesive throughout departments. Budget is based on managements bonus.
Pros
Cons
To many to list.
Plenty of work to do but not everyone was on board.
Bakery Production (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 31, 2018
After arriving in the shop I would find out how heavy the production schedule was and whether everyone was going to show up for work that day. I learned to make the best of every situation and to get as many of my associates on board for the completion of the days production. The most difficult part of the job was to deal with negative attitudes but the most enjoyable aspect was turning bad attitudes around.
Pros
employee discounts. 401k
Cons
not enough break time
Opportunity to advance
Account's Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VAJuly 31, 2018
Company offered training to increase knowledge of your job and opportunities to advance in the company. Friendly co-workers and office staff. Advanced training offered for those interested.
Pros
Very good benefits
I am glad to be gone
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 27, 2018
I worked at Spartan for less than a month. My first week they would force me out by 830pm every night after a few short hours of what they called training. Weeks 2 though 4 however I was scheduled to be off by 10pm, I was fortunate to be out of there by 130-2AM.

Equipment. The Headset that I was issued was damaged and beyond repair, when I asked for a replacement I was told that there were no others. The pallet jacks were in a constant state of needing repairs and the batteries never stayed charged for an entire shift.

Pay. The weekly pay was nice, however the incentive pay was only attainable if you were willing and able to work at a breakneck speed for the entire shift.

Coworkers. There were no experienced order selectors in my department as they had just opened their cigarette shipping warehouse and all of the experienced pickers transferred there.

Management. Hard to call it that. The HR rep was a good guy but for the rest of office staff, I'll just say I've never worked around so much apathy in my life and I was happy to get out of there when I did. The company does not care about its employee's. Its one of the few places that I believe the employees would actually benefit from organizing and forming a union
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Bad managment, poor equipment, dangerous operations of the equipment, appathetic managment.
Terrible
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJuly 24, 2018
This company treats everyone like trash. Upper management is horrible, and only cares about themselves. Ever since Nash came into the picture, it has gone down hill even more. Nash has final say on everything, even though Spartan supposedly took them over.
Cons
Busy each day - depending on what department you worked
Head Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Richmond, WIJuly 18, 2018
Overall a good company to work for. There was a lot of employee turnover - as there usually is in a retail grocery store. Depending on the department you work in, your day could be an early start or a late start. Generally floating shifts work for most employees there.
Pros
Flexible scheduling was avaialbe if you needed it.
Cons
Not enough support in some of the departments
unorganized stressful environmnet
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 16, 2018
incompetent management makes for a stressful environment. other than that pay is good if you work as it is incentive based. high turnover rate due to management's inability to take initiatives without playing to their favorite employees
Fast paced work environment
Order Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJuly 12, 2018
A job where you are constantly working against the clock. the incentives provide you with extra motivation to complete your work in a timely manner. Accuracy is important.
physical job with long hours
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VAJuly 9, 2018
fill orders for our customers and insure accuracy along with speed, provided with the proper clothing to withstand the subzero temperatures while working in the freezer
This company is clueless.
Customer Service/Clerk/National Accounts (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 6, 2018
Do not work for this company. They have no direction, do not stick to any of their values and operate a fortune 500 company like it is the family business. They will use you and then throw you away.
management there do not care about workers. Workers there work 8 to 10 hours with atleast 5 or 6 hours of mandated overtime.
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 2, 2018
Managemen at Spartannash do not care about workers. Workers there work 8 to 10 hours with atleast 5 or 6 hours of mandated overtime. Workers there barley get any sleep, breaks on the job, time with family after 7 madated overtime so frequently to the point where it is out of control
Pros
Money
Cons
short breaks, long hours, not enough employees
Struggling Merger Company
GM HBC SALES COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 25, 2018
Company was bought out.

too many managers

no truth

secrets

Teams below me were great.

benefits lowered with new acquisition - Medium sized company bought equal size and still struggling with the details
Work experience
Offloader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2018
Typical day at Spartan Nash would be a 5 hour to 7 hour work day very slow and very dirty break rooms, nats flying around your food and around break room and bathrooms so dirty you would rather wait till you got home to use. 32 hours a week not enough to maintain a good life style
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Filthy bathrooms
Horrible gm who refuses to supply workers with needed materials but want correct results
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 13, 2018
Selfish general manager who cuts the budgets for everything back so he can receive bonuses riduculous scheduling no equipment gm refuses to get them fixed everything gets ignored by gm but wants workers to do the job still and is aware of all the errors goin on

Landover md
Benefits
Cons
Horrible horrible selfish gm
standard food distribution company. Peak seasons are very busy, Ad weeks, forward buys etc.
Senior Logistics Planner (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 12, 2018
SpartanNash is one of the biggest food distributors in the work. Logistics is fast-paced. Finding transportation needs on short notice can be stressful, but rewarding. My customer is our procurement dept. Getting product when and where they need it.
Pros
flex time, good immediate manager
Cons
can be high stress with ads and forward buys

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight