SpartanNash Employee Reviews

No advancement
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Paw Paw, MIMay 23, 2018
I worked there for over a decade and though my immediate supervisor for pharmacy was amazing as was several other pharmacists I worked for the corporate doesn't even know you exist. No advancement opportunity low pay even when you have been there for years and are in a leadership position.
Pros
Friendly associates
Cons
No advancement and low pay
Don’t work there
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, MIMay 19, 2018
Worst place I’ve ever worked at, worked 3rd shift only had to deal with them not so bad but the store director is the worst got yelled at for only waving at her when she hollered good morning
Pros
Only had to deal with the director a few hours a day
Dead End
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MNMay 10, 2018
The management purposely fired their best employees, a woman there didn't get a promotion within 15 years. Many employees who had paid time off were fired. It's disgusting the way SpartanNash treated employees.
Pay is pathetic... manager is an idiot!!!
Retail Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Breton Village Grand RapidsApril 27, 2018
No communication, nice co-workers, manager was a moron...mean and anxious to work with!!! Always on edge you might do something wrong for the pay you get. Want you to work multiple positions for your pathetic hourly rate!
Pros
Cons
Poor management, too much work for pay
Unfair workloads, incompetent management, lack of communication
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 24, 2018
Management is terrible..got the work loaded on me and I went to my boss several times expressing how stressed/ overloaded I was and I got absolutely nowhere...everyday walking on eggshells hoping I didn't screw anything up because the system of doing things was such a mess..terrible lack of communication between departments. No positive reinforcement, just the delightful ruthless business of the corporate world.

The pay and benefits were good, company hosted some nice activities...that's about it.
Pros
Pay, fun company activites
Cons
Management, Lack of communication
Management was crazy
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 14, 2018
I worked at a busy store, and the workers and customers were all SUPER friendly. I had 2 amazing managers, but the other like 4 were terrible. There was no communication. After working there for months, a manager insisted I be retrained because she thought it was my first day. Sometimes I'd be on the schedule, and the next day I wouldn't be on it anymore, as if they just erased my name. The communication overall is just really really bad. On my first day, I found out ten people had quit together, and now I know why.
Pros
Nice workers
Cons
Chaotic
nice workplace
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDApril 14, 2018
it was a great working place for me and I had no issue working there. Everyone at work was very welcoming. The managers were respectful, and good to their employees.
Pros
the mangers were very respectful
Cons
I have never any issue
Competitive, physical work, fast paced
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIApril 10, 2018
It is an organization that believes in customer service and doing things well!! They take customer satisfaction to a whole new level and do what they can to make sure things are done right the first time
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrison, MIApril 5, 2018
Would love to work right away. I took culinary in high school/ collage. It would be awesome to work at this place. I need to fine a job to keep my bills up to date.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare and breaks
Absolutely awful
"Deli Clerk", actually hot foods associate (Former Employee) –  Cascade, MIMarch 30, 2018
Went in being told I would be a full time deli employee with 40 hrs a week working only days. Ended up being a hot foods associate working 32 hrs on average. Spoke to store director and manager about this and was told essentially "too bad, we're trying to run a business and we will put you where we need you." Spartan Nash does NOT care about their employees.
Pros
Expensive insurance
Cons
Literally everything else
A productive and fun place to work.
ACCOUNTANT I (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNMarch 30, 2018
A typical day begins with daily tasks. Following a checklist. Working on projects together as well as individually. Workplace culture is good. Management is Ok.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
pay is low
It was nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMarch 28, 2018
It was a pleasant place to work. The leadership was good and very kind. I wish I had been given more hours to work, but while I was there it was good.
Great place
Shipping Clerk-MDV (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 25, 2018
I love working for this company! Great advances and team work! Appreciate the great work environment and busy schedule! Also love the benefits. HR could be more personable but it works.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Meh
Solid Job
PRODUCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 15, 2018
Spartan is a solid place to work, like every job it has its pros and cons. Pros include flexible hours and decent benefits. Cons: Stores tend to be short staffed.
Pros
Flexible and Reasonable hours
Cons
Short Staffed, Slow to adapt
Stressful and competitive place to work
General Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMarch 12, 2018
Very little appreciation for the workers. being told your working overtime of 2 hours plus with an hour left in the day. Always told youre never doing enough. would never receive a thank if you went above and beyond your job title or specifications.
Pros
Paid lunches
Some amazing friends were made here and good experience
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 3, 2018
On a typical day, I'm cleaning, bagging and carrying out groceries, working in the bottle room, or helping out generally around the store. Some managers and/or people in charge are not the best fit for the job, but overall a good place to build experience.
Pros
Comfortable break room, flexible
Cons
Not the best coworkers/managers (in some cases)
Hard work, decent pay depending on what you do
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 23, 2018
If you don't mind hard work, then this isn't a bad place to work. Upper management, especially the ops manager, plays favorites big time and those people can basically do whatever they want. HR is nice but clueless. A couple good supervisors who actually care and try, a couple who are burned out and don't seem like they care and one who doesn't know what they are doing (and half the time doesn't do their job) but gets special treatment because of the Ops manager. If you aspire to become a supervisor, or move up, avoid this place.
Pros
4 day work week; decent pay depending on your job
Cons
Upper management
Work Experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwood Young America, MNFebruary 17, 2018
I liked working at Spartan Nash because of the customers but i just had a problem with the management and some co workers. There was a lot of favoritism.The managers gossip a lot and kept conflict between the employees then there was no communication. The job i applied for was not what i was working...so my work experience was unpleasant and difficult at times due to me having health issues. The pay you get is not acceptable for the duties you do. And the turn around was terrible. There could be a lit of changes done to satisfy your employees.
Pros
The customers
Cons
The staff and management
Good, But could be a lot better....
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NCFebruary 10, 2018
Work with a good group of very underpaid guys. I think the company takes advantage of the rural area we live in and we are severely underpaid compared to other warehouses. Management is good. I enjoy the work. But nowhere for advancement . And the pay just is ok for the area. But we do a different type of job then most industries here. It’s really physical and takes a lot for someone to make it .
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low pay, no advancement
Had anxiety attacks everyday before work.
Management (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SD st Patrick st store.February 9, 2018
Management does not do a very good job managing. They need to learn to do their jobs and not single people out and make them feel like they don’t Corporate is a joke and expects unrealistic expectations. I would never work there again.
Pros
10% employee discount. Really a way for them to track what you buy.
Cons
No leadership. Horrible cliquey groups. Bad time for you if your not in the clique.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight