SpartanNash
51Below average

SpartanNash Employee Reviews

United States670 reviews
Production pay
You earn more money for hard work. Your hourly rate is determined solely by your work ethic and determination to push through the day steadily and effectively.
Awful
I have never in my life ever worked for a company with such a poor management. Your job description is not even close to what you will really do. If your hired in as a dry forklift operator you will be in the cooler more than in the dry... they will make sure your in there for exactly half of your shift then pull you out so they dont have to pay you the cooler pay that is 50 cents more on the hour..
Good company to work for, but lots of changes
Good overall company to work for, but lots of changes going on throughout the company. Expectations are very high and need to be punctual and no missed time.
Poor management
Poor training, no positive feedback, the better you do the more they expect you to do while nothing is done about poor performance. Management is worthless, the small amount of time they are in the building, their not available to help/coach team members.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Poor management
Management is not trustworthy
Management is Vague in job description. No follow through on offered raises and promotions. The most wasteful to our environment company I've ever seen or worked for. It is beyond comprehension. Never does this company suffer due to economy. The top executives throw their money into wastebasket and dumpsters every day. But they don't get payouts or or hours taken away. Or lose vacation hours with their NEW VACATION HOURS GIVEN TO THE EMPLOYEES WHO KEEP THEIR COMPANY GOING!
Pros
Co-workers i had the pleasure to work with
Cons
Rich execs demand paycuts to all but themselves
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Bad HR Management.
The HR Manager in Landover, MD have been for so long working for this company that she thinks she owns that company and takes poor decision against SPARTANNASH values and ethics.
Run
Really poorly managed. Your on your own, daily call-ins, and general chaos. No communication, not sure who was in charge. They run a full store on a skeleton crew (literally the bare minimum to stay open). Nighttime is a constant stream of drunks and people looking to steal, felt really unsafe.
It was fair to a point
They were fair for a while I was treated well for a while but then it took a big turn they started treating us poorly and they had no sympathy for you
Job security
Job was great, loved going in real early and being of by 2:00 pm most days. Enjoyed servicing my customers. Management is life most places, only about themselves but as a truck driver you were mostly insulated from the drama. Just come in, do your job, go home, usually no problems. I always hated the floating holidays and only having Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day off. Working every other Holiday and most Saturday's.
Petty management
Like most jobs it would be a great career field but the management(supervisors) they have in place is terrible!! They play favorites for some of the guys that they’ve developed closer friendships with which is not management material! They issue out smaller better jobs in nicer areas for these selectors and lift drivers and use other employees to do most of the dirty work in more undesirable parts of the warehouse like their -10 degree freezer and what they like to call the “chill” side which is 25 degrees!!
I liked working there just wish they didn’t require weekends. Other than that the work environment is fun and clean. The managers are all nice and helpful
Horrible
If you like no days off this place is for you. Forced in on days off and forced over for overtime always last minute upper management does not care about you just make rate or they’ll write you up worst job experience I had. Add that to the union doesn’t care about you until you have been there 10 years
Employee Satisfaction is high on the priority list
Great people to work with. The company's leadership truly wants everyone to succeed and show it by putting a focus on employee appreciation. The company's multiple office and retail locations allow advancement opportunities and lateral changes for people looking for a new focus.
Official response from SpartanNash
April 21, 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy to have hard working associates such as yourself as a part of our family. Thank you for constantly owning it and making SpartanNash a great place to work!
Fast paced
If you don't mind working hard everyday this may be the job for you. If you are lazy then don't apply. You will earn a very decent weeks worth pay here.
This company is very good, it have a good produc assembly, a good management, have a good maintained inventory I would recommend this job to a lot of my friend and family.
Its not the best, but its not the worst
If you're looking for work, they have it. Better options out there if you're not picky. The equipment could be taken care of a lot more and the scheduling for routes needs better communication.
Don’t waste your time
Hands down worst company I have worked for. Management has NO competency period. The only reason I have stayed 3 years is the pay/ benefits aren’t terrible but for the back breaking continuous labor involved they should definitely offer more. It’s supposed to be the faster you pick the more you make but not many people are able to pick at the pace required to advance anymore than base pay
Changing to workday
I found other PeopleSoft employment because they were going to switch to Workday. IT was cow-towed ti customers leading to very bad software decisios.
Managed poorly
The store is a great place for customers to shop. However, it is not a great place to work as all departments are chaos and managed poorly. Employees are never trained well.
Pros
Good coworkers and good pay
Cons
a lot of hours available but a flexible schedule.
Communication was not always the best, but the company was good overall at making things work and not overworking their employees. Normally 2 days a week are at least 12 hour shifts. 5 day work week is typical.
Money is ok there
It’s not a bad place to work good health insurance dental vision nice ppl starting pay wasn’t the best but the raises came quick within two years I was just under 16 an hour you get a raise yearly also I’d say some are close to 20 or over who have stayed there but that Ice box is so cold dairy cooler is the best place to work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight