SpartanNash Employee Reviews

An awful company with no grasp of reality
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Holland, MINovember 30, 2018
Don't work here if you ever expect to make enough money to live on. After 6 years I was making less than a dollar over base pay and three dollars less than starting pay at one of our competitors. Store management is fine, but upper management are don't care about anything but the columns of numbers in their reports and constantly make decisions that make no sense at the store level. My last year working here I got a 1.4% raise (less than 20 cents), while the President and CFO got a $540,000 bonus.
Pros
Good 401k
Cons
Awful pay and expensive benefits
questional future for employees
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Harrison, MIFebruary 4, 2019
things have gotten very bad for employees . We are expected to do 2+ peoples amount of work in less amount of time . The atmosphere has deteriated since i started 10 years ago. No hors how do you tell a parent that needs money to care for their family that they can only have 20 hours and no benefits.
they have taken vacation time away from full timers because they are not averaging enough hours. Reduced benefits to the point you cant afford to use them because of the high deductibles, and reduced pay.
We all used to feel good about our work but it is hard to remain optimistic
Pros
co workers
Cons
hours treatment from upper management they dont care that they are killing their employees
Production rate and poor Associate Appreciation
General Warehouseman (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 23, 2018
If you want a job that doesn't require any sort of schooling and decent pay, this is your place. It was very hard to see that they actually appreciate what you do for the company other than saying it. Even with the employee discount it didn't feel like you got anything other than paid for the hard work you did. The production rate is constantly getting increasingly difficult and therefore your quality of work is what you have to sacrifice. Limited training makes the turnover rate for new hires through the roof. Overall decent pay if you come in as full time, but high expectations from management.
Pros
Time off and payed breaks
Cons
Hard work little compensation
It used to be a good place to work
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 12, 2018
Prior to the merger with Spartan Foods, Nash Finch was a good place to work. The Edina office was focused on improving culture and providing work-life balance. Post-merger the focus shifted to siphoning jobs from Edina and moving to Grand Rapids, MI. The company spoke a lot about culture, but the reality was there were two cultures, the Grand Rapids culture (positive) and the Edina culture (waiting for the ax to drop). I do not recommend accepting employment with SpartanNash in Edina, MN as I don't believe it will be in your long-term best interests.
If the devil had a basement... than the bluefield spartan nash would be it..
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Bluefield, VADecember 28, 2018
Words really cant describe the injustice this place is... and anyone who has ever worked at this location for any amount of time can concur... there team of management is a joke... nothing good can be said about this place... one might think I'm over reacting... but trust me.. all it would take is for 1 higher up individual from management to come to bluefield.. and speak to the workers... not the team of management... the people who are actually doing the work... and then maybe... just maybe something might change.. but as for me ... I dont see that happening anytime soon.
Pros
Its comfortable to work there in the summer.
Cons
If you can think it ... than its a con at this place..
Don't work here! Save yourself
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MIDecember 6, 2018
This company couldn't care less about you. Get paid same as everyone regardless of experience or how long you've been with the company. No vacation time or sick pay. The management only approaches you when they think you do something wrong, which is all the time. They will always call you in. They think you owe everything to them. Your suggestions or concerns will get you nowhere. They will never back you up if a customer is giving you an issue. You're just a number to the company and are not valued at all. If you're expecting to be able to advance in this company, you won't. Don't waste your time
Pros
will work around school schedule
Cons
not respected at all
Low pay, horrible upper management.
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEJanuary 13, 2019
I’ve been with this company for 5 years now. Everything started alright by over the course of the past 3 years or so things have been declining drastically. While I enjoy the department that I work in and my fellow employees there I have little to no respect for the head store managers we currently have. They are inattentive, fail to communicate with their workers, and don’t resolve problems that occur.

My department is run down, we have many things that are necessary for our jobs to run smoothly that are broken and have been broken for some time now. They refuse to fix these problems due to “budget constraints”.

You have to fight tooth and nail to get hours at store I work at. Each department is allotted a certain amount of hours each week depending on the previous weeks sales. My manager tries to make sure these hours are evenly distributed but there are weeks where (especially during our slower months) that I do not get the hours I need to survive or meet the required hours to maintain my insurance.

The benefits are basically a joke. While the paid vacation is nice you have to meet certain requirements before you can even obtain them. The 401k is alright for what you pay for. They recently added more health/dental insurance options that are way cheaper than any of the plans they’ve had the previous years. Problem is that you have to average 30 hours over a year to even qualify for this.

Compensation is my biggest complaint about this company. At my store, the current hiring wage is $10/hr. As I stated above I’ve been here for 5 years and I’m currently making
  more... only 65¢ above their hiring wage. We get a yearly “raise” (if you want to call it that). The most they give you for a raise is 50¢ if you’re lucky. One year I got a whopping 10¢ raise. The only times I ever got a dollar raise was when my state changed the minimum wage from the federal wage to $9/hr over the course of two years. Yet they can afford to pay their CEOs 5 million+ a year.

Corporate is the second worst thing about this company besides the pay. They make decisions that hurt the department that I work in. They really like to push new promotional deals with little to no explication given to us so WE can understand it, get rid of items for no reason in our system, or just plain ignore the fact that not every store can make the same sales as the ones in the bigger areas.

All in all, I would not reccomend working for this company if you have the choice. Find someone who will pay you fairly.
Pros
Paid vacation, insurance, paid weekly
Cons
Compensation, management
Good job but dont know about the union
Packer/Picker (Current Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHSeptember 11, 2018
Really easy job for someone but the pay is not that good at all. You can make money there BUT that is not until the union hires you in, until then you get a $1 pay raise after one year and that's it. You wait on the union which could be 2 years or longer!!
Poor Management
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 21, 2019
Poor management and training. No one is held accountable. Too many times only a few people are actually doing work. Managers turn blind eye to those not doing their jobs in the department. Management style is basically putting out fires/reactive and not proactive. No real day to day or long term plans. Employees feel under appreciated and the department is understaffed for customer service.
Unfair workloads, incompetent management, lack of communication
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 24, 2018
Management is terrible..got the work loaded on me and I went to my boss several times expressing how stressed/ overloaded I was and I got absolutely nowhere...everyday walking on eggshells hoping I didn't screw anything up because the system of doing things was such a mess..terrible lack of communication between departments. No positive reinforcement, just the delightful ruthless business of the corporate world.

The pay and benefits were good, company hosted some nice activities...that's about it.
Pros
Pay, fun company activites
Cons
Management, Lack of communication
Management supportive at Dickinson North store
Lead Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Store Dickinson, NDAugust 9, 2018
There are 2 stores in Dickinson, ND and I work at the North Store. My store manager has been supportive of my position from day 1 and has sent me for additional training when I asked for more. Which has paid off. I have worked for less than 6 months and my department scored 100% in my first corporate store audit. The first time ever for my department.

The store manager has worked every department in the store and lends a helping hand when short staffed or extra busy. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty when needed.

Benefits are good as I've earned vacation for my partial year worked and we are eligible for discounts from large vendors from cell phone companies, car companies, etc.

As in any company there are always a few Negative Nellie's. I prefer to take my break time with those with positive attitudes.

Paychecks are weekly and benefits include health care with reasonable rates as it is a large company. The usual 401K and company sponsored pension plan.
Pros
Hands-on and supportive Store Manager
Cons
You have to use or loose your vacation each year, no carry over.
Too much cut throat in that company
Order Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VAJanuary 7, 2019
Its definitely not a team job after your training is up which usually last 2-3 days then its every man for themself 12-16 hr shifts & only 2 days off.
Pros
Great Benefits and great pay
Cons
Demand is too High never know what time your leaving
Save yourself the headache
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Bellefontaine, OHDecember 14, 2018
If you want to work for a company that does NOT value you as an employee, this is it. Forced to join a union that doesn't do anything for you except take your money. Management is a joke. There is a reason they have such a high turnover rate.
Great people. Terrible upper management
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 18, 2018
Hourly employees are all great. All upper management that I dealt with are complete robots. Sub-par Human Resources whom only respond when you threaten something drastic (ie. walking out/quitting.) Too many managers pulling in all different directions. Too many cheifs; not enough indians.
Pros
Early shifts. Department Managers
Cons
Upper management.
Plenty of work to do but not everyone was on board.
Bakery Production (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 31, 2018
After arriving in the shop I would find out how heavy the production schedule was and whether everyone was going to show up for work that day. I learned to make the best of every situation and to get as many of my associates on board for the completion of the days production. The most difficult part of the job was to deal with negative attitudes but the most enjoyable aspect was turning bad attitudes around.
Pros
employee discounts. 401k
Cons
not enough break time
Some nice people
Telecom/Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edina, MN, Grand Rapids, MiNovember 16, 2018
Average place to work. Management encourages feedback but rarely follows through. Associates are nice but know that the office cannot sustain itself.
Pros
In building cafeteria
Cons
Management in another State.
Wonderful Company
Corporate Lead AP (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNDecember 31, 2018
Good work culture and safety been the number one priority. Good co- workers that work with a sense of purpose. Diverse work force and the pay is right.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
weak culture, right out of the 80's. Work environment is horrible. Too many people in cubicles.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIOctober 8, 2018
Collaboration is poor. People are surface in relationships. IT is good but leading edge thought is only applied when "war for talent" becomes an issue.
Pros
compensation
Cons
See review
Snoe
Stocker (Former Employee) –  1814 Breton Rd SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506January 25, 2019
Good Workers Nice Environment Good Management
Hardest Part of the Job had to be the constantly changing items on the shelves while not losing speed to stock shelves
Productive and fast paced
Reciever (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 7, 2018
Productive and fast paced. I enjoyed the people who worked there. I did not enjoy the long hours very much. I have children sne the work - to - home ratio wasnt pleasant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpartanNash. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight