SPCA Albrecht Center for Animal Welfare

Working at SPCA Albrecht Center for Animal Welfare: 15 Reviews

United States15 reviews

Fun, productive, organized.

This has been one of the best jobs I have ever had. The staff were amazing as well as the management. When I needed help I was given it. When I asked for ways to improve, my manager worked with me to help me. I loved working with the animals and fully intend on volunteering!

Pros

Staff appreciation recognition, working with animals.

Cons

None.

Watch out

The shelter aspect of the SPCA is amazing. The vet care center on the other hand is not. The Dr and lead vet assistant are extremely toxic and yell at people. When issues with management are brought up it gets swept under the rug. Management also picks out certain employees as favorites. When I started there was a great atmosphere and employees all got along and encouraged each other. Now it has gotten so bad felt very unappreciated anymore. I felt more appreciated from the shelter side than I did the VCC. I can handle a lot of things, but not feeling appreciated for over a year gets to you. Also hardly ever got lunch breaks if you did get one it was usually 15 minutes or less. The way how they try to keep you when you turn in your notice is offering more money, it’s not about the money. Also communication is absolutely horrible

SPCA Albrecht Center for Animal Welfare insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Productive, kind co-workers, saving lives

I feel appreciated, helpful and needed by a team that is spectacular! The most difficult part of the job is as any job in vet care, helping people make choices to allow their pet to pass over the rainbow bridge.

Pros

Benefits, competitive pay, great communication

Cons

Stressful but only because of the industry

Rewarding and memorable job

the SPCA is a no kill shelter for dogs, cats, small pets, and even an occasional pig. your work days will be fairly fast paced with alot of cleaning. while this job can be stressful, heart breaking and exhausting; nothing beats seeing these animals go to a forever home. everything you do is for these animals. you are their people while they are here. you are incharge of keeping them safe, checking on thir health, feeding, cleaning, giving enrichment and most importantly making their time here as amazing as possible. I have never had a job as rewarding as this. you get to see these animals personalities shine through and see the first time they meet their new owners. it is a very loving environment, the bosses are amazing and genuinely care about you. the staff will always help you out when needed and definitely make the hard days easier. if you have love for animals and don't mind cleaning, this job is definitely worth it. pro tip: communication is key in this work environment :)

An Enjoyble & Rewarding Work Environment

Since working here, I've been able to help so many animals and learn how to take care of them. The employees are fun to work with and the manager is very hands on which is great. It can get stressful sometimes, but it is understandable due to the amount of animals we care for.

Pros

Progressive work environment, fun events & free food, hour long breaks, interacting with cute animals

Cons

Days can be stressful

What is the best part of working at the company?Being part of a mission that I care deeply about, and working with like-minded people toward the success of that mission.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Being part of a mission that I care deeply about, and working with like-minded people toward the success of that mission.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Each new day can bring new challenges and disruption in normal duties, but also new opportunities to improve animal lives. The former can lead to a sometimes-chaotic work environment, but most of us are able to keep the latter in mind and work through the challenges.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy. I work in Operations & HR, so I have my typical office & administrative duties, people challenges to work through, but also listening to our team's concerns and suggestions helps me understand different perspectives and try to facilitate positive change. I don't work directly with the animals, but I make time each day to connect with at least one, to keep in mind the purpose of my hard work.

What is the best part of working at the company?Being part of a mission that I care deeply about, and working with like-minded people toward the success of that mission. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The organization is now under new leadership, and change can bring turmoil, but overall our culture and day-to-day morale is improving as needed changes are recognized and implemented. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Each new day can bring new challenges and disruption in normal duties, but also new opportunities to improve animal lives. The former can lead to a sometimes-chaotic work environment, but most of us are able to keep the latter in mind and work through the challenges.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy. I work in Operations & HR, so I have my typical office & administrative duties, people challenges to work through, but also listening to our team's concerns and suggestions helps me understand different perspectives and try to facilitate positive change. I don't work directly with the animals, but I make time each day to connect with at least one, to keep in mind the purpose of my hard work.

One of the worst work cultures I have ever experienced

Aiken SPCA appears externally to be a wonderful place to work - top notch facility, folks that seem pleasant, good benefits. Forget all that. There is a reason the Vet Care Center has had a >75% turnover rate within the past year - vets, techs, and assistants included. The impressive facade is hiding the fact that management cares little about VCC staff and 100% about the bottom line. I saw burnout occur more rapidly here than in any other workplace I’ve experienced. Management’s poor scheduling often results in staff being pushed to their very limit due to the number of animals seen - overtime and lack of a lunch break are common here. What’s more, management and higher level staff demonstrate catty, playground-like behavior of talking about others behind their backs and passive-aggression. Management also does not afford the time for new staff to be appropriately trained, which has resulted in a sub-par standard of care at this facility. This job affected my mental health and wellbeing more severely than anything else I’ve undergone. I would advise anyone considering a position at the VCC to be very, very wary.

Pros

Nice facility

Cons

Terrible work-life balance and culture

Disorganized and not appreciative of employees.

Management needs some help in this clinic. Employees are overworked and stressed due to short handed staff. Doctors and techs suggestions are often pushed to the side and not considered, resulting in longer, more tiring days than anticipated. Techs and young doctors are fatigued and burning out rapidly.

Excellent place to work

I enjoyed working there I was i a government program that ran out otherwise I would still be there. I did their custodian work and also worked in their thrift stores

Pros

Excellent staff

Cons

wish i could have stayed

Very clique oriented- manager tries hard- no human benefits and very low pet benefits

Putting late term spay- abortion babies in freezer is wrong- look it up- high risk and condemned by veterinary experts and just overall lack of concern about pain Mgt and ‘freezing’ babies?!

Volunteer

I am only a volunteer, but everyone is friendly and the facility does a phenomenal job in taking care of the animals and educating the public. They come up with creative fundraising and adoption events.

Non profit

I worked there because I wanted to do something positive and get my foot in the door in the vet field. It’s an ok job. They had good policies and standards in place. Unlike some other organizations I’ve worked for.

Pros

Good deed

Cons

Pay/benefits

Great people, very gratifying job

It felt great to truly make the difference is the lives of shelter pets. I felt great pride and accomplishment working for the Aiken SPCA. I am happy they finally got into the new Albrecht Center.

fun workplace with benefits and time off

got there early. took care of the cats and dogs before handling the front desk. i learned teamwork, i earned more responsiblity and my manager was great. she was generous and helped me out when needed. i had four co-workers and they were nice also. the hardest part of the job was cleaning the feces, honestly. it was nasty. i never knew cats went that much. haha. the most enjoyable part was playing with the dogs outside during summer. so energetic and it made me smile each day.

Pros

played with the dogs

Cons

cleaning feces :(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPCA Albrecht Center for Animal Welfare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.6Personal Development
4.5Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight