SPCA Florida Employee Reviews

Disorganized workplace, Toxic co-workers with big egos and little skill
Canine Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 3, 2019
I worked on the Canine team and loved working with the dogs. I loved my job up until the kennels got a new lead, who turned out to be a toxic person with a huge ego and little skill in canine behavior, training, or playgroups. Her ego was too big to listen to her peers' advice or opinions, and it often resulted in poor morale on the canine team and it often negatively impacted the dogs. A dog is currently on a bite quarantine because the lead didn't take me seriously when I expressed concern over the dogs behavior, suggesting we make the dog "staff only" due to his recent behavior. My concerns were quickly dismissed and later that same day, that dog bit a volunteer and ended up on a bite quarantine (his 2nd bite on his record now).
This is a great job if you have no experience, relevant knowledge and don't speak your mind. People look out for themselves and their egos and love to complain about individuals in other departments. I've had long term volunteers come up to me upset because of the way they're spoken to by certain individuals on the team. If you ask me, that's unacceptable. Volunteers should be treated with nothing but respect and kindness.
If you aren't a favorite, prepare to work in a toxic environment, get bullied, and not be treated with respect. I hope for the sake of the dogs that things will get better in the kennels. They used to get playgroups and in kennel enrichment everyday, and now they're lucky if they get a nylabone in their kennel or spend time with a human during walks instead of getting stashed in a yard.
Pros
The dogs, awesome volunteers, benefits package
Cons
Toxic coworkers, lack of respect
spca
Playgroups Part-time (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 20, 2019
The animals all need to be fed and the kennels cleaned. Playgroups were performed to help animals social and get to do their business. Dog selective or aggressive dogs were individually brought out for walks. As many dogs as possible were trained to do basic commands such as sit, lie down, and shake/paw. The hardest part was seeing the dogs come in with scars and fear but it was enjoyable to help them trust again to find a new forever home.
Pros
helping animals
Cons
see some hard cases
Primitive Work Environment
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 7, 2019
I should’ve turned down the job offer the moment I realized HR wasn’t a fan of animals. One of the most unfortunate things to deal with in this field, is working with people that aren’t seemingly in the field for the right reason. People tend to be more invested in being better than this or that person, versus being a team player striving for the same like-minded goal; happy healthy animals put into forever homes. In this environment you can expect to be trained by different people, and each person follows their own drum beat. It’s only a matter of time until you’re in trouble for taking your own initiative. A lot of people working there don’t care about the sanctity of a rescue organization. They know someone who knows someone and they just want a paycheck. If a dog is adopted and then returned, more than once, no one is held accountable for having a hand in screwing that up. If you’re not following someone’s shirt tails, you’re bullied and the enemy. There is 0% quality control. Staff members and volunteers are constantly cutting corners, leading to more communicable diseases being spread.
Pros
Learning from people who still have compassion and empathy intact
Cons
Giving a 110% vs fellow coworker only giving 10%
Don't waste your time
Meh (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 29, 2018
It's not worth your effort.

Mass amount of work for pay that people can barely live on.

Hard work never pays off.

Don't worry about my position and start/end date. The point of this review is to warn people of the misery it is to give your all to a place that couldn't care less about you.

It's always been bad. It's even worse with the new CEO.
Nah
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 2, 2018
Disorganized is a generous word. This is a toxic work environment that will ask for everything while refusing to listen. There are several individuals that actually care; those are the only reason this organization is still running.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally
Cons
Disorganized, constant turn-over, grey requirements for work, favoritism
If you enjoy not having a life this is the place for you. There is a lot of favoritism. The stress is exorbitant. The administration building is very
Lead outpatient Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 13, 2018
This is the most stressful job I've ever had. I worked there for 4 years till I couldn't stand it anymore. Having executive director that couldn't be trusted didn't help. There are a lot of good people there but the burnout is Extreme
Cons
Overworked and underpaid
SPCA mobile clinic register (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLMarch 26, 2018
I enjoyed working here. Long hours for what I did specifically but it is a rewarding job and goes quickly so it isn't too bad. Pay is good for part time.
Relating to customers, got to know them well
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoy meeting people, became good friends with some of them
Learning to accept people as they are in all walks of life.
There were no hardest part of this, except keeping front area clean and organized.
The most enjoyable is just a fun place to work, employees
Are very nice to be around
High stress. No rewards.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 11, 2018
It's great working with the animals. However there is no advancement unless you're a favorite. The pay is very low and you'll never get a raise, well maybe 5 cent. Always feel like you have to watch your back. Administration doesn't care about you. Gives themseleves raises and bonuses and increases your work load. Customer is always right and you will be treated poorly and not backed up by admin or managers most of the time. Policies change to match what makes admin happy and customers daily and never get stuck to.
Pros
Pto.
Cons
Admin, managers play favorites, no pay raises.
Amazing co workers!!
former employee (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 6, 2017
Ok, I absolutely loved just about everyone and everything at this job! They were welcoming when I started. But the pay is a joke, administrators are a joke. When i first started I was under payed me (7.50$ to be exact, while minimum wage was 8.00$ at the time) for a few months, my fault I didn't catch it sooner, but i ended up getting about 300$ in back pay. I've been there for a few years and only had a .15 cent raise, I was a cva and had my euthanasia license and no pay raise (shocker). Everyone in the medical and shelter side are amazing people very down to earth but very hard to trust most of the administrators. You also have to be very careful on who you vent to, couple of very shady people here, you just have to keep to yourself. Administrators will walk on you like your a piece of garbage. If you apply to this job, goodluck i can only hope for the best.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Administrators
Great starter job
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 23, 2017
SPCA was a great starter job. You have to learn to deal with tough costumers and long hours. I learned a lot and enjoyed my time working there
Great co workers
N/A (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 17, 2017
I loved my co-workers and doctors there, but Administration was awful, they never give raises and make you feel like you are below them. It is a very busy Vet office and the clients that come in there always complain because the wait time is ridiculous. Administration made us have 4 appointments every thirty minutes, and on a good day we have three Vets. You will have a lot of responsibilitits and the most recognition you will get is an email saying so. It's pretty sad. If you love being over worked and under paid and not appreciated by the people who should then this is the place for you.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Administration and no raises
Fun place to be
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 13, 2017
Great place to volunteer at especially if you love dogs and cats. I loved being able to help dogs find a forever home and being able to walk them and form a special bond with some of them.
Pros
Getting to spend time with animals
Cons
Some people who come to visit get offended when told not to put fingers in new arrival dogs cages
I loved helping and caring for the abused animals.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLNovember 21, 2016
I loved working the the abused animals, but once I found a paying job with animals, I could no longer find the time to volunteer, but it was a great experience.
Pros
Working and caring for abused animals
Cons
No pay
Love spca
Kennel Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 4, 2016
The Spca is probably my favorite place ive ever Worked/Volunteered at. Animals are my passion and love they way they run things. they do very well at making sure all the animals are well taken care of and making sure they go to good homes.
nice place to work
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 2, 2015
When I volunteered at the S.PC.A it was never the same. I jumped from different jobs as I was asked and accomplished them efficiently. I got a long with all the co-workers and I would say the hardest part of the job was dealing with the different personality of each and every dog I've encountered, it kept me on my toes and made me realize all dogs have their different personality and if you treat them with love and care they will grow to one perfect dog.
Pros
playing with the dogs
Cons
not fast pace
Very busy and exciting place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 5, 2013
The clients and patients are amazing. The company goals are wonderful . With the new CEO and medical director, they decided to layoff of most of the company and rename positions and hire there former staff members. It was a very sad time and still is.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the client and the patients, getting to interact with both was the best and most rewarding.
Pros
Clients and Patients
Cons
Upper Management