SPCA Florida Employee Reviews

If you enjoy not having a life this is the place for you. There is a lot of favoritism. The stress is exorbitant. The administration building is very
Lead outpatient Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 13, 2018
This is the most stressful job I've ever had. I worked there for 4 years till I couldn't stand it anymore. Having executive director that couldn't be trusted didn't help. There are a lot of good people there but the burnout is Extreme
Cons
Overworked and underpaid
Relating to customers, got to know them well
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoy meeting people, became good friends with some of them
Learning to accept people as they are in all walks of life.
There were no hardest part of this, except keeping front area clean and organized.
The most enjoyable is just a fun place to work, employees
Are very nice to be around
High stress. No rewards.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 11, 2018
It's great working with the animals. However there is no advancement unless you're a favorite. The pay is very low and you'll never get a raise, well maybe 5 cent. Always feel like you have to watch your back. Administration doesn't care about you. Gives themseleves raises and bonuses and increases your work load. Customer is always right and you will be treated poorly and not backed up by admin or managers most of the time. Policies change to match what makes admin happy and customers daily and never get stuck to.
Pros
Pto.
Cons
Admin, managers play favorites, no pay raises.
Amazing co workers!!
former employee (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 6, 2017
Ok, I absolutely loved just about everyone and everything at this job! They were welcoming when I started. But the pay is a joke, administrators are a joke. When i first started I was under payed me (7.50$ to be exact, while minimum wage was 8.00$ at the time) for a few months, my fault I didn't catch it sooner, but i ended up getting about 300$ in back pay. I've been there for a few years and only had a .15 cent raise, I was a cva and had my euthanasia license and no pay raise (shocker). Everyone in the medical and shelter side are amazing people very down to earth but very hard to trust most of the administrators. You also have to be very careful on who you vent to, couple of very shady people here, you just have to keep to yourself. Administrators will walk on you like your a piece of garbage. If you apply to this job, goodluck i can only hope for the best.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Administrators
Great starter job
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 23, 2017
SPCA was a great starter job. You have to learn to deal with tough costumers and long hours. I learned a lot and enjoyed my time working there
Great co workers
N/A (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 17, 2017
I loved my co-workers and doctors there, but Administration was awful, they never give raises and make you feel like you are below them. It is a very busy Vet office and the clients that come in there always complain because the wait time is ridiculous. Administration made us have 4 appointments every thirty minutes, and on a good day we have three Vets. You will have a lot of responsibilitits and the most recognition you will get is an email saying so. It's pretty sad. If you love being over worked and under paid and not appreciated by the people who should then this is the place for you.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Administration and no raises
Fun place to be
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 13, 2017
Great place to volunteer at especially if you love dogs and cats. I loved being able to help dogs find a forever home and being able to walk them and form a special bond with some of them.
Pros
Getting to spend time with animals
Cons
Some people who come to visit get offended when told not to put fingers in new arrival dogs cages
I loved helping and caring for the abused animals.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLNovember 21, 2016
I loved working the the abused animals, but once I found a paying job with animals, I could no longer find the time to volunteer, but it was a great experience.
Pros
Working and caring for abused animals
Cons
No pay
Love spca
Kennel Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 4, 2016
The Spca is probably my favorite place ive ever Worked/Volunteered at. Animals are my passion and love they way they run things. they do very well at making sure all the animals are well taken care of and making sure they go to good homes.
nice place to work
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 2, 2015
When I volunteered at the S.PC.A it was never the same. I jumped from different jobs as I was asked and accomplished them efficiently. I got a long with all the co-workers and I would say the hardest part of the job was dealing with the different personality of each and every dog I've encountered, it kept me on my toes and made me realize all dogs have their different personality and if you treat them with love and care they will grow to one perfect dog.
Pros
playing with the dogs
Cons
not fast pace
Very busy and exciting place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 5, 2013
The clients and patients are amazing. The company goals are wonderful . With the new CEO and medical director, they decided to layoff of most of the company and rename positions and hire there former staff members. It was a very sad time and still is.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the client and the patients, getting to interact with both was the best and most rewarding.
Pros
Clients and Patients
Cons
Upper Management