SPCA of Texas Employee Reviews

Great place to do good.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXMay 12, 2019
They do a lot of good things and it is very rewarding and makes you feel good inside. There are a fair amount of opportunities though you may not be qualified to do some there still are a few.
Pros
Care for animals and do good works
Cons
No pay
Just know what you're getting into
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2019
This place is a great first step for animal care, techs and first time supervisors. You gain amazing experience and can get a job just about anywhere with this organization on your resume, but it's up to you if you can handle the high demands that come with the experience. This is basic drama you'll find at most shelters so it's pretty standard but keep in mind its not for everyone.

High level management changes frequently going through 3 shelter directors in less then 2 years and 6 managers in different locations in 4 years. Expections are high with little staff to compensate for it. Directors rarely have ANY shelter operation experience and can't give realistic terms or goals to the board or VP therefore making the jobs of low ranking staff difficult.

Lower ranking staff love their jobs but the turn over is also very high, supervisors have a short shelt life as well and animal care last less than 6months if they don't get promoted to other positions.

It's not all bad, you see amazing transformation in the animals and get to see their happy endings. Though my experience was not amazing, the things I learned and what I was able to take away from it was worth the heartache and dealing with upper management constant demands.
Pros
Experience, coworkers, benefits
Cons
High turnover, high demands
Great Mission with Poor Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 15, 2019
The SPCA of Texas management and overall leadership is toxic.

Unsafe animals are being adopted out, senior management shows favoritism toward certain staff, there are continual and ever-changing demands put on staff, retention is an issue for this organization.
Pros
The mission
Cons
senior leadership
Productive and Influential
Animal Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2019
Working there is pretty fast paced, and you have to keep up or you fall behind in your work. Best part of the job is getting to work closely with animals.
Over worked under paid
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  SPCAJanuary 28, 2019
If you are starting out and needing to get your feet wet as a Vet Tech this is the place for you. But in my experience I felt like I was taking a step back. Very underpaid for the knowledge I had and very over worked. They have a hard time keeping experienced techs because of the pay. The benefits are great. And a few group of doctors. But if you have experience and are looking to step it up this isn’t for you.
Pros
Fast pace good doctors great benefits
Cons
Over worked under paid
Very nice coworker and manager
Dog specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2019
I would love to go back there and work very clean and organized place not to much stress in your back and they have team effort and not gone leave you hanging
The mission is lost
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXDecember 26, 2018
I worked for the SPCA of TX for almost 8 years. When I first started staff and management were like a family. Everyone truly cared about each other and the animals. As time went on the VP of Animal Welfare position was empty and refilled twice and that’s when everything went very downhill. Animals became nothing more than numbers on a piece of paper. Get them in and get them out. Cram cats in shorelines for months to meet quotas with no thought put into their mental well being. Understaffing. Filling management positions with people with no shelter or veterinary experience. Lots of new management, directors, senior supervisors, etc positions opened up and layered. At one point I had no idea who was in charge of what decision and would have to contact multiple managers and directors to figure out my questions on protocol. I personally had multiple managers hired above my head with no opportunity to be moved up into those positions. I then had to train them and check behind all their work to make sure it was done correctly and soon found out they were making $18k more than me annually while I babysat them. I could go on and on. It’s so very sad because I truly was passionate and committed to this organizations mission. In the end it’s just about the money and how good they look on paper. No one cares about the individual animals but the care staff at the front lines working their butts off for bad pay and getting abused and discarded by upper management.
Great for passionate people, bad for making a living
Employee (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 19, 2018
Working for the SPCA can be rewarding and fun, but most staff are underpaid and not given incentive to do well and have a salary that shows it. Certain staff are often given more work and duties with either a small or no increase in pay while others slack with no repercussions. If you love animals and want to work in an intense and constantly changing environment, it can be great. But coming home knowing you helped animals means a lot less when you make way less than the industry standard.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, benefits, fun opportunities, positive mission
Cons
Underpaid, understaffed, disorganized, poor leadership, fatigue
Saving animals is awesome
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas County, TXDecember 18, 2018
Getting to be a part of changing animals lives for the better is amazing.

Working for a non-profit is very different from the regular corporate world so it takes some adjusting if you're not used to it.
Pros
Benefits and bring your pets to work
Cons
Employee turn over
You go here because you want to be in animal welfare, you leave for completely different reasons
Tech (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2018
I loved the SPCA & what it stood for, and then things became more clear the longer I worked there. It wasn't going to ever matter how dedicated I was or how hard I worked. the people at the top control EVERYTHING. And unfortunately, they ironically know nothing. They so strongly think they know best that it's laughable. None of those people have any animal medical experience AT ALL, yet constantly make new rules "that are best for the animals" at the expense of any employee. And if you have a problem with it? Too bad- you can quit! I have watched soo many great employees leave that were such assets to the SPCA because they were so mistreated and underappreciated. I could truly write a book on all of the shady behavior from the "higher ups". Also, there's really no point in applying for this job because at any given point during your time working at SPCA, they might decide that it's, again, "best for the animals" to give you a completely different job title & assign YOUR job to somebody else who has never done it before. I still am pretty sure that has to be illegal. I've also watched that happen to soo many people, and watched soo many people cry, and seen nobodyyy care as a result. Oh, but you'll be told your behavior is unprofessional if you show you have feelings. All in all, the people who serve on the board must be COMPLETELY in the dark as to how awful the people that are in charge are and how they've run off so many amazing staff. And they will continue to. And that's all SUCH a shame. I used to think SO highly of the SPCA. Now I know the truth.
typical office
CALL CENTER REP (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 17, 2018
The group morale was low but productivity was high. I enjoyed helping customers take care of their pets and help them get appointments. I sometimes office fostered pets to help them become familiar with human interaction.
interesting
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2018
learned a new thing every day, excelent service. kind members/ employees. i had visited the SPCA on a school field trip my junior year. we had the job of preparing cats to be neutered and than than reloating them before and after the process.
Most of the lower level employees LOVE saving animals
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2018
Most of the people love what they do and are happy doing it even though the pay is low.
The only major problem is management. Starting with the money hungry president on down to HR. Those people are bad seeds and really have no business working at a place that is founded on saving lives.
If the admin can't make money on a rescue they will literally put it off. (by make money I mean, publicize the,you know what, out of it) SO many good people including Vets have walked out disgusted with the way animals are discarded by the leadership.
Pros
The place is WELL funded and the equipment is nice
Cons
Management waste money and treats staff very badly.
Management is Lacking
Donor Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 10, 2018
I worked for this organization for almost two years in the Development department. Management is poor, no opportunity for employee growth. There was almost 100% turnover and Development staff is dishonest to donors.
Not worth it
Lead Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2018
Low pay and they expect you to do the job of 3 people. If you complain about lack of staffing they tell you too find another job instead of addressing the issue. Upper management makes 6 figures while everyday staff barely makes $10 an hour to start. They take on more animals than they can take care of in a healthy way for the animals. They have a great social media crew so none of this ever reaches the public.
Cons
Low pay, bad morale
Easy but long work duties with co-workers who love animals.
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 22, 2018
The work duties are very easy but time consuming. Many of the co-workers are nice and have a deep want to help the fellow animals at the shelter. Mangers leave a so-so impression on you. Many work tools tend to be broken and never fixed even if you report them to supervisors.
Horrible.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 9, 2018
This is the absolute worst place I've worked at. Being there makes you feel VERY unappreciated as a worker. No room for growth, only favoritism will get you where you would like to be. Higher up (supervisors and management) have absolutely no experience in the veterinary field. Negative environment altogether!!
Save yourself the applying time.
Cons
Don't bother applying for a part time position if you ever want to become full time.
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2018
They will jerk you around like no ones business.
Part time employees get absolutely no benefits (even if you're staying behind and working 40 hours a week).
Management does not listen to staff, they are always understaffed, and because of that the care for the animals is sometimes under par.
Turnover rate is high for a reason.
Save yourself the trouble, keep your day job and just volunteer, they get treated better than the staff does anyways.
Pros
Free adoption after 6 months
Cons
No benefits for part time, under staffed
Free insurance!
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 19, 2018
A lot of the people hired on are dumb as a door knob and have no experience but the staff was always nice. Some mangers are not nicest and will make you feel incompetent.The SPCA offered great insurance and decent shift hours/days. Its a fast pace place and they don't have a lot of time for mistakes or laziness. If you're a hard working and willing to learn its a good place to work
Guest Coordinator
Guest Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2018
Did so much work for so little pay, the only reason we'd go to work was for the animals. Management didn't communicate with their employees verbally only through emails.
Pros
Seeing animals daily
Cons
management, lack of benefits