SpeakWrite

Working at SpeakWrite: 30 Reviews

United States30 reviews

Remote

The only pros about this job are that it is remote and has very flexible shifts. I don't believe you can move up or get a raise. If you work full time, you can pretty much choose the better hours. If you wait to fill out your schedule, the hours may no longer be available.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

pay is awful

Misclassified employee

Listened to audio recordings and typed what I heard. Scheduled my own hours. They used to offer lots of bonus hours where I would log in and work unscheduled hours for slightly higher pay rate. They seemed to have cut way back on that in 2022. It was hard to stay motivated to keep working for them without that bonus pay.Hardest part of the job was getting horrible dictations and not being able to reject them. Those dictations slowed me down to the point where I would end up working extra hours to try to make the money back that was lost while wasting time with garbage files.When I worked full time for them, I had no trouble getting the hours that I wanted, but when I switched to part time, it was very hard to get good hours because the full-timers had first dibs at the schedule.Low pay was also an issue, but my biggest pet peeve was being categorized by the IRS as a misclassified employee. So on the one hand I've got the IRS saying that, based on my job description and the expectations placed upon me by this company, I am actually an employee, but on the other hand, I have this company that I work for not acknowledging this at all. Fact is, they apparently don't care what the IRS says. To them, I'm 1099 and that means no benefits or overtime. To me, that is unacceptable. I was glad when I left.

SpeakWrite insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Fair pay for job

Very flexible schedule

Ability to schedule as many or as few hours as you wish, as long as adhering to minimum monthly hours; extremely flexible. Good part-time job, but not much money.

Pros

Very flexible scheduling

Cons

No compensation increases

Pays pennies. Not worth the time

You only make a few dollars an hour. Not worth the time. You have to follow typing formats that are different depending on what you're typing. Really hard to follow them when you only have them online.

It was okay

Schedule your own hours.Okay to make changes to schedule, with minimal restrictions.Plenty of work if you pre-scheduled full-time hours regularly.No paid time off or benefits.Independent contract work.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Can't really reject jobs without permission

Flexibility awesome

Choosing your own hours and when is awesome. The pay rate is not great. Time wasted when you run into problems that require you contact management can shoot a whole shift to heck, pay-wise.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay rate

Excellent Side Hustle

This is a fun job. Every day is a different set of stories, which keeps things interesting and fresh. It's tough work but if you do it well you can make a decent amount of money. You can make a full time job out of it if you work hard. The pay is a little higher than average when it comes to remote transcription work. It all depends on your speed and accuracy and, unfortunately, also the quality of the recording, which we can't control. Ive been working with SpeakWrite for 8 years now and there is only a little contact with management as it is a fully virtual job. However, when I had to pause working there due to some major family emergencies, the management reached out on occasion and checked on my family, which is more than my traditional full time job did!! They also helped make schedule accommodations for me and were very patient with me until I was back on my feet. That goes a long way with me. I will forever appreciate the kindness I have received from the SpeakWrite team!

Pros

Flexibility, interesting content, unique jobs, kind staff

Flexible hours but poor compensation

I've worked at this company for a few months now. While I do enjoy the flexibility, the compensation is extremely poor. The pay is usually .005 per word or 1 cent for every two words.

Pros

Flexible hours, totally remote location

Cons

Micro-management, poor compensation

Productive and great place to work

Great place to work and the atmosphere was family-like. The work place is very relaxed. The upper management was very understanding and easy to work with.

Worst place to work for

Run run and run away from that company. If it's convenience for them they will hire you to use you as much as they can. After they achieve what they need from your skills they will fire you.

Pros

Cons

Poor management

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SpeakWrite?

Great Company

This was a very pleasant experience, SpeakWrite really made it feel like you were part of the family. Unfortunately I had to leave because of a death in the family but I would recommend the company to anyone. I really appreciated the opportunity.

Not worth it!!

Although it is over the internet and you basically set your own hours and do the work on your own, the pay made the job not worth the stress!!! The connection through the internet was wish washy and I constantly encountered problems.

They count on turnover.

SpeakWrite is supposedly set up on an automated program. The problem is that programs can be manipulated. Jobs disappear. The word count is usually off. Policies and guidelines constantly change with no notice. Guidelines cover both sides (for SpeakWrite and against the contractor). Any complaints are met with suspiciously plummeting ratings. Contact with management is hostile and nasty. A wicked company.

Pros

Work from home.

Cons

Low pay, being cheated out of pay, vengeful staff, hostile company.

Excellent work at home opportunity

This is a job you work from home, so it is ideal for many people on a number of [obvious] levels. The typist supervisors are friendly and supportive. Help is available almost 24/7. The pay is not great, but the benefits of working from home pretty much helps.

Pros

relaxed, flexible home environment

Cons

If signed up for specific number of hours in a row, breaks are pretty tight. Pay could be better.

Great Work at Home Opportunity

I've been with SpeakWrite since May 2018. I love the flexibility it provides me while helping my husband with our overseas mission. Management has been great, always responsive and helpful with questions.

Pros

Flexibility

Perfect for a SAHM!

I’ve been working for SpeakWrite as a General Typist for a few weeks now and I am loving it! I am a stay at home mom, so the ability to hop on and type when I have a free minute is invaluable. I schedule myself for two hours a day (usually in the evenings after my baby has gone to sleep) and I also pick up extra hours whenever they send an email saying they have bonuses on for typist help! It’s great! I am averaging about $50/day for 4-5 hours of typing. It’s so nice to supplement my family with this income and to do it in my pajamas! Some cons I can think of are the very extensive rules/formatting involved. You may spend a lot of time researching, and that is unpaid. However, I assume after typing a lot it becomes second nature. Sometimes the dictations are sloppy with large pauses/errors that are also unpaid and a lot of background noise to filter through.

Pros

Work from home, flexible schedule, make your own hours

Broken System - Nonresponsive, Uncaring Management

A typical day for a typist is spent on unpaid time: Setting up jobs, listening to extended periods of silence and changes made by clients unprepared to dictate, inability to develop a typing rhythm due to constant switching between at least 4 tabs/pages respelling all words spelled by client, explaining client requests not consistent with SpeakWrite defaults, checking two spellings lists (frequently changed without notice) each on its own tab/page, waiting for answers from management regarding problems with jobs, searching though ambiguous, disorganized manual and library of monthly newsletters, i.e. hundreds of pages of contradictory and confusing information (also frequently changed without notice) while constantly dealing with late job notices requiring immediate response lest job be pulled and reassigned no matter how much time has been invested by typist or what caused delays, constant interruptions caused by pop-up bulletins asking typists to sign in and work while we were signed in and working. Last but not least, SpeakWrite's propriety software is outdated, bandwidth is not sufficient for high workload periods, system does not recognize foot pedal preference settings thus place marker feature does not stick where typist pauses, often jumping back to start of dictation leaving typists to manually locate pause point, and wide variances in grading system with seemingly each member of management rating jobs using personal guidelines; in other words, even management cannot keep up with frequently changing rules even though management made those changes.

Pros

Working from home.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay, average pay below minimum wage, rude clients, condescending management.

Independent Contractor work from home position typing

Main concerns: attitude of management toward contractors, very low compensation Clients may submit their dictations in any form whatsoever including noisy environments ie at a party, in a noisy restaurant, TV or radio blaring in background, chewing gum or eating while talking, several seconds (even minutes) of no speaking, flipping documents next to the microphone. A typist may not reject a poor dictation for any reason whatsoever, even if you cannot hear it or understand due to poor equipment or noisy environment. Such dictations may be very long, thus tying up your ability to make money on a more professionally done dictation. Contractors must make all changes that a client makes in a dictation, meaning taking out words already typed, and you are only paid for the final word count. If you are a legal typist you are doing "legal" transcription and A LOT of medical transcription, as many of the clients are workers' compensation firms and the terminology includes very complex medical terms. Especially for legal and medical transcription, the pay is very low - .5 to .55 cents per word depending on the day and time of day. Company lists compensation rate on their web site as up to .6 per word - but it is actually .5 to .55 per word. They also say you can make $15 an hour - that is very rare. (in several years I made that amount maybe 5 times) . .

Pros

flexible schedule and availability of work

Cons

Rude management, very low pay, poor quality dictations

A lot for too little opportunity.

Basically, there is just not enough growth. Even if you show talent and progress there is no room at the table for you because they need people to stay in the positions they are in. There are teams that are very unstable and understaffed. There are teams that are very stable and have great managers. It just depends on where you land. Be prepared to have a huge learning curve on outdated technology and little opportunity to grow from within. The company is pretty top-heavy internally with a ton of managers and very few "workers".

Pros

Some really great people.

Cons

Not enough potential.

Horrible Place to Work

Frustrating work, lack of support from superiors, compensation hasn't changed in the going-on nine years I've typed for them, though they have steadily increased the price of the product for clients.

Complacency/Falling in line is what you need to succeed here.

Don't recommend at all. Team I was on and a few other people were what helped me even stay for the past months. There is so much more that I wish to write but I hope just saying "Look for a better place" will be enough. There's a step above nepotism apparently and qualifications don't matter anymore! I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. CEO likes to make open threats of firing while in the bathroom. That was weird...but yeah... this place will take a piece of your soul (not really...but maybe)

Pros

Work/Home balance is good

Cons

Ceo, Something above nepotism?

Common questions about SpeakWrite

Answered by current and former employees at SpeakWrite

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SpeakWrite. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare SpeakWrite with

Learn about SpeakWrite in popular locations

• SpeakWrite