SpeakWrite

SpeakWrite Employee Reviews

Schedule your own hours.Okay to make changes to schedule, with minimal restrictions.Plenty of work if you pre-scheduled full-time hours regularly.No paid time off or benefits.Independent contract work.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Can't really reject jobs without permission
First of all, the pay is disgraceful. If there is work, you will make between 0.005 and 0.006 cents per word. There are a number of inconsistent "rules" as well as client instructions that you have to follow. And you will get graded by proofreaders that are at best inconsistent. If it's busy, you will not get feedback. If you want to talk to anybody at the company about anything at all, too bad. The best you will get is a rude girl on the phone who has no idea how to help you. You cannot choose the jobs you take. They are randomly assigned, and if you are struggling, too bad. You cannot return the job. You have to ask for permission to return a job, and you will not get permission. Best hope one of the proofreaders is in a good mood! If you have a question, you better just guess. There is nobody around to communicate with in any way.
Pros
None.
Cons
Low pay, no communication with management, inconsistent guidelines, confusing instructions, no culture whatsoever
Choosing your own hours and when is awesome. The pay rate is not great. Time wasted when you run into problems that require you contact management can shoot a whole shift to heck, pay-wise.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay rate
This is a fun job. Every day is a different set of stories, which keeps things interesting and fresh. It's tough work but if you do it well you can make a decent amount of money. You can make a full time job out of it if you work hard. The pay is a little higher than average when it comes to remote transcription work. It all depends on your speed and accuracy and, unfortunately, also the quality of the recording, which we can't control. Ive been working with SpeakWrite for 8 years now and there is only a little contact with management as it is a fully virtual job. However, when I had to pause working there due to some major family emergencies, the management reached out on occasion and checked on my family, which is more than my traditional full time job did!! They also helped make schedule accommodations for me and were very patient with me until I was back on my feet. That goes a long way with me. I will forever appreciate the kindness I have received from the SpeakWrite team!
Pros
Flexibility, interesting content, unique jobs, kind staff
I've worked at this company for a few months now. While I do enjoy the flexibility, the compensation is extremely poor. The pay is usually .005 per word or 1 cent for every two words.
Pros
Flexible hours, totally remote location
Cons
Micro-management, poor compensation
Great place to work and the atmosphere was family-like. The work place is very relaxed. The upper management was very understanding and easy to work with.
Run run and run away from that company. If it's convenience for them they will hire you to use you as much as they can. After they achieve what they need from your skills they will fire you.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
This was a very pleasant experience, SpeakWrite really made it feel like you were part of the family. Unfortunately I had to leave because of a death in the family but I would recommend the company to anyone. I really appreciated the opportunity.
Although it is over the internet and you basically set your own hours and do the work on your own, the pay made the job not worth the stress!!! The connection through the internet was wish washy and I constantly encountered problems.
SpeakWrite is supposedly set up on an automated program. The problem is that programs can be manipulated. Jobs disappear. The word count is usually off. Policies and guidelines constantly change with no notice. Guidelines cover both sides (for SpeakWrite and against the contractor). Any complaints are met with suspiciously plummeting ratings. Contact with management is hostile and nasty. A wicked company.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Low pay, being cheated out of pay, vengeful staff, hostile company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SpeakWrite?
This is a job you work from home, so it is ideal for many people on a number of [obvious] levels. The typist supervisors are friendly and supportive. Help is available almost 24/7. The pay is not great, but the benefits of working from home pretty much helps.
Pros
relaxed, flexible home environment
Cons
If signed up for specific number of hours in a row, breaks are pretty tight. Pay could be better.
I've been with SpeakWrite since May 2018. I love the flexibility it provides me while helping my husband with our overseas mission. Management has been great, always responsive and helpful with questions.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
I’ve been working for SpeakWrite as a General Typist for a few weeks now and I am loving it! I am a stay at home mom, so the ability to hop on and type when I have a free minute is invaluable. I schedule myself for two hours a day (usually in the evenings after my baby has gone to sleep) and I also pick up extra hours whenever they send an email saying they have bonuses on for typist help! It’s great! I am averaging about $50/day for 4-5 hours of typing. It’s so nice to supplement my family with this income and to do it in my pajamas! Some cons I can think of are the very extensive rules/formatting involved. You may spend a lot of time researching, and that is unpaid. However, I assume after typing a lot it becomes second nature. Sometimes the dictations are sloppy with large pauses/errors that are also unpaid and a lot of background noise to filter through.
Pros
Work from home, flexible schedule, make your own hours
A typical day for a typist is spent on unpaid time: Setting up jobs, listening to extended periods of silence and changes made by clients unprepared to dictate, inability to develop a typing rhythm due to constant switching between at least 4 tabs/pages respelling all words spelled by client, explaining client requests not consistent with SpeakWrite defaults, checking two spellings lists (frequently changed without notice) each on its own tab/page, waiting for answers from management regarding problems with jobs, searching though ambiguous, disorganized manual and library of monthly newsletters, i.e. hundreds of pages of contradictory and confusing information (also frequently changed without notice) while constantly dealing with late job notices requiring immediate response lest job be pulled and reassigned no matter how much time has been invested by typist or what caused delays, constant interruptions caused by pop-up bulletins asking typists to sign in and work while we were signed in and working. Last but not least, SpeakWrite's propriety software is outdated, bandwidth is not sufficient for high workload periods, system does not recognize foot pedal preference settings thus place marker feature does not stick where typist pauses, often jumping back to start of dictation leaving typists to manually locate pause point, and wide variances in grading system with seemingly each member of management rating jobs using personal guidelines; in other words, even management cannot keep up with frequently changing rules even though management made those changes.
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Ridiculously low pay, average pay below minimum wage, rude clients, condescending management.
Main concerns: attitude of management toward contractors, very low compensation Clients may submit their dictations in any form whatsoever including noisy environments ie at a party, in a noisy restaurant, TV or radio blaring in background, chewing gum or eating while talking, several seconds (even minutes) of no speaking, flipping documents next to the microphone. A typist may not reject a poor dictation for any reason whatsoever, even if you cannot hear it or understand due to poor equipment or noisy environment. Such dictations may be very long, thus tying up your ability to make money on a more professionally done dictation. Contractors must make all changes that a client makes in a dictation, meaning taking out words already typed, and you are only paid for the final word count. If you are a legal typist you are doing "legal" transcription and A LOT of medical transcription, as many of the clients are workers' compensation firms and the terminology includes very complex medical terms. Especially for legal and medical transcription, the pay is very low - .5 to .55 cents per word depending on the day and time of day. Company lists compensation rate on their web site as up to .6 per word - but it is actually .5 to .55 per word. They also say you can make $15 an hour - that is very rare. (in several years I made that amount maybe 5 times) . .
Pros
flexible schedule and availability of work
Cons
Rude management, very low pay, poor quality dictations
Basically, there is just not enough growth. Even if you show talent and progress there is no room at the table for you because they need people to stay in the positions they are in. There are teams that are very unstable and understaffed. There are teams that are very stable and have great managers. It just depends on where you land. Be prepared to have a huge learning curve on outdated technology and little opportunity to grow from within. The company is pretty top-heavy internally with a ton of managers and very few "workers".
Pros
Some really great people.
Cons
Not enough potential.
Frustrating work, lack of support from superiors, compensation hasn't changed in the going-on nine years I've typed for them, though they have steadily increased the price of the product for clients.
Don't recommend at all. Team I was on and a few other people were what helped me even stay for the past months. There is so much more that I wish to write but I hope just saying "Look for a better place" will be enough. There's a step above nepotism apparently and qualifications don't matter anymore! I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. CEO likes to make open threats of firing while in the bathroom. That was weird...but yeah... this place will take a piece of your soul (not really...but maybe)
Pros
Work/Home balance is good
Cons
Ceo, Something above nepotism?
I've read the other reviews and a lot don't even make sense to me. One states "I don't even make enough to cover self-employment taxes." Interesting since you pay taxes based on what you earn, so if you are a responsible adult and put away a portion of every check, you shouldn't have an issue. First of all, this job isn't going to make you a millionaire. I live in an extremely rural area where work is scarce. You either work at the grocery store, gas station, or if you're lucky a local office and earn between minimum wage and $10 per hour. I am a stay-at-home mom and home school my 7- year- old daughter. I work around her schedule, about 15-25 hours per week or so. SpeakWrite pays $0.005 per word typed for a primary/standby primary shift and they do pay idle time if you are primary. For premier shifts they pay $0.0055 per word. If you've done work for other transcription companies you know this isn't a bad deal. I also work for a captioning service and trust me, this is a lot better. There is a lot to learn with their formatting, but after about 2 months, most of it becomes second nature. This is not a full-time job and shouldn't be expected to be, but if you are looking for a little extra money, it is definitely worth it. They are family oriented and have no problem praising goodn hard work. They also pay on the 1st and 15th of every month either by check or direct deposit.
Pros
Prompt payment, flexible hours
Cons
Extensive formatting to learn but worth it
This was a virtual, home-based transcription job. While it was great to work from home, the pay is per word and extremely low (1 cent per word transcribed).
Hard to express the environment here. The owner depends on his family for the truth and that is far from evident. Arrogance rules. Management is forced to be divided. Most of the employees are smart and really work hard to improve everything daily and execute to a plan. The problem is the plan changes or isn't allowed to be reality and communication across teams is lacking if not prevented. Good luck if you go here!
Pros
Unlimited PTO
  1. Employee Reviews