SpeakWrite Employee Reviews

Independent Contractor work from home position typing
transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  remoteJuly 6, 2018
Main concerns: attitude of management toward contractors, very low compensation

Clients may submit their dictations in any form whatsoever including noisy environments ie at a party, in a noisy restaurant, TV or radio blaring in background, chewing gum or eating while talking, several seconds (even minutes) of no speaking, flipping documents next to the microphone.

A typist may not reject a poor dictation for any reason whatsoever, even if you cannot hear it or understand due to poor equipment or noisy environment. Such dictations may be very long, thus tying up your ability to make money on a more professionally done dictation.

Contractors must make all changes that a client makes in a dictation, meaning taking out words already typed, and you are only paid for the final word count.

If you are a legal typist you are doing "legal" transcription and A LOT of medical transcription, as many of the clients are workers' compensation firms and the terminology includes very complex medical terms.

Especially for legal and medical transcription, the pay is very low - .5 to .55 cents per word depending on the day and time of day. Company lists compensation rate on their web site as up to .6 per word - but it is actually .5 to .55 per word. They also say you can make $15 an hour - that is very rare. (in several years I made that amount maybe 5 times)

Pros
flexible schedule and availability of work
Cons
Rude management, very low pay, poor quality dictations
Horrible Place to Work
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2018
Frustrating work, lack of support from superiors, compensation hasn't changed in the going-on nine years I've typed for them, though they have steadily increased the price of the product for clients.
Complacency/Falling in line is what you need to succeed here.
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 3, 2018
Don't recommend at all. Team I was on and a few other people were what helped me even stay for the past months. There is so much more that I wish to write but I hope just saying "Look for a better place" will be enough. There's a step above nepotism apparently and qualifications don't matter anymore! I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. CEO likes to make open threats of firing while in the bathroom. That was weird...but yeah... this place will take a piece of your soul (not really...but maybe)
Pros
Work/Home balance is good
Cons
Ceo, Something above nepotism?
Fantastic all around
General Typist (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 22, 2017
I've read the other reviews and a lot don't even make sense to me. One states "I don't even make enough to cover self-employment taxes." Interesting since you pay taxes based on what you earn, so if you are a responsible adult and put away a portion of every check, you shouldn't have an issue. First of all, this job isn't going to make you a millionaire. I live in an extremely rural area where work is scarce. You either work at the grocery store, gas station, or if you're lucky a local office and earn between minimum wage and $10 per hour. I am a stay-at-home mom and home school my 7- year- old daughter. I work around her schedule, about 15-25 hours per week or so. SpeakWrite pays $0.005 per word typed for a primary/standby primary shift and they do pay idle time if you are primary. For premier shifts they pay $0.0055 per word. If you've done work for other transcription companies you know this isn't a bad deal. I also work for a captioning service and trust me, this is a lot better. There is a lot to learn with their formatting, but after about 2 months, most of it becomes second nature. This is not a full-time job and shouldn't be expected to be, but if you are looking for a little extra money, it is definitely worth it. They are family oriented and have no problem praising goodn hard work. They also pay on the 1st and 15th of every month either by check or direct deposit.
Pros
Prompt payment, flexible hours
Cons
Extensive formatting to learn but worth it
Virtual At-Home Transcription
Home-based transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MISeptember 13, 2017
This was a virtual, home-based transcription job. While it was great to work from home, the pay is per word and extremely low (1 cent per word transcribed).
Great people wanting to make a difference ... if allowed to!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2017
Hard to express the environment here. The owner depends on his family for the truth and that is far from evident. Arrogance rules. Management is forced to be divided. Most of the employees are smart and really work hard to improve everything daily and execute to a plan. The problem is the plan changes or isn't allowed to be reality and communication across teams is lacking if not prevented. Good luck if you go here!
Pros
Unlimited PTO
Work From home
Independent Contractor/Typist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 8, 2017
It is wonderful to work from home and make your own hours. The pay is competitive and is based completely on how much you want to work each day and each week. Payment is always received in a timely fashion and professional help is always readily available when needed.
Great company who treats their employees very well
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2017
Friendly staff, fun work environment, great benefits and helpful management team.

The customer support department has a good team that's really helpful and fun to be around. Awesome group of people.

Great place to work for anybody who is interested in planting their roots in a fast growing company.
Pros
Free snacks, Great view of downtown Austin, Stress-free work environment.
Cons
Nothing but positive things to say about this company.
Worst company in Austin
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 25, 2016
The entire exec team is closely related family - they will tell you it's a "family company" - be aware, this means they hide the extent of this relation in interviews and don't disclose it even after you're employed. And they do not do any work, at all.

They treat their employees terribly - they frequently disappear and can't make decisions, yet micromanage every email you send, making any progress impossible.

The product itself is constantly broken and has had no technology updates in 5 years. The core team is awesome but has been beaten down by the exec team. This is where creativity, ambition and hope go to die.

Also, in one year, 1/3 of the company left - out of ~30 employees, that's a pretty good indicator of how keen people are to fly out of here. There is also no trajectory for career growth since you won't replace a family member, and the "profit sharing program" is a rotten carrot that is dangled but rarely dispersed (with no explanation, update or communication about whether it's happening).

I wouldn't let my worst enemy work here.
Pros
Useless "exec" team rarely shows up
Cons
It's all relative
Legal Typing
Legal Typist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2015
Receive audio files on the computer. Observe client's requirements and company policy. Adhering to both, type document in timely manner to resend to client.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay
Too many hours for too little pay
Legal Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 17, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to create my own hours and work from home.

A typical day at work I set at my computer and transcribe legal audio dictation from my headset.

The hardest part of the job is being able to make enough money to even pay self-employment taxes!
Pros
Work from home and pick own hours
Cons
Not enough money to even pay my self-employment taxes!
A great way to fill in the gaps
Paralegal Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2012
An excellent opportunity to work from home; it does take some practice to adjust to their styles; not the best pay, but does allow you to set your own schedule.
Pros
work from home, set own hours
Cons
poor pay compensation