SpeakWrite

SpeakWrite Employee Reviews for Transcriptionist

Flexible hours but poor compensation
I've worked at this company for a few months now. While I do enjoy the flexibility, the compensation is extremely poor. The pay is usually .005 per word or 1 cent for every two words.
Pros
Flexible hours, totally remote location
Cons
Micro-management, poor compensation
Excellent work at home opportunity
This is a job you work from home, so it is ideal for many people on a number of [obvious] levels.

The typist supervisors are friendly and supportive. Help is available almost 24/7.

The pay is not great, but the benefits of working from home pretty much helps.
Pros
relaxed, flexible home environment
Cons
If signed up for specific number of hours in a row, breaks are pretty tight. Pay could be better.
Great Work at Home Opportunity
I've been with SpeakWrite since May 2018. I love the flexibility it provides me while helping my husband with our overseas mission. Management has been great, always responsive and helpful with questions.
Pros
Flexibility
Broken System - Nonresponsive, Uncaring Management
A typical day for a typist is spent on unpaid time: Setting up jobs, listening to extended periods of silence and changes made by clients unprepared to dictate, inability to develop a typing rhythm due to constant switching between at least 4 tabs/pages respelling all words spelled by client, explaining client requests not consistent with SpeakWrite defaults, checking two spellings lists (frequently changed without notice) each on its own tab/page, waiting for answers from management regarding problems with jobs, searching though ambiguous, disorganized manual and library of monthly newsletters, i.e. hundreds of pages of contradictory and confusing information (also frequently changed without notice) while constantly dealing with late job notices requiring immediate response lest job be pulled and reassigned no matter how much time has been invested by typist or what caused delays, constant interruptions caused by pop-up bulletins asking typists to sign in and work while we were signed in and working.

Last but not least, SpeakWrite's propriety software is outdated, bandwidth is not sufficient for high workload periods, system does not recognize foot pedal preference settings thus place marker feature does not stick where typist pauses, often jumping back to start of dictation leaving typists to manually locate pause point, and wide variances in grading system with seemingly each member of management rating jobs using personal guidelines; in other words, even management cannot keep up with frequently changing rules even though management made those changes.
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Ridiculously low pay, average pay below minimum wage, rude clients, condescending management.
Independent Contractor work from home position typing
Main concerns: attitude of management toward contractors, very low compensation

Clients may submit their dictations in any form whatsoever including noisy environments ie at a party, in a noisy restaurant, TV or radio blaring in background, chewing gum or eating while talking, several seconds (even minutes) of no speaking, flipping documents next to the microphone.

A typist may not reject a poor dictation for any reason whatsoever, even if you cannot hear it or understand due to poor equipment or noisy environment. Such dictations may be very long, thus tying up your ability to make money on a more professionally done dictation.

Contractors must make all changes that a client makes in a dictation, meaning taking out words already typed, and you are only paid for the final word count.

If you are a legal typist you are doing "legal" transcription and A LOT of medical transcription, as many of the clients are workers' compensation firms and the terminology includes very complex medical terms.

Especially for legal and medical transcription, the pay is very low - .5 to .55 cents per word depending on the day and time of day. Company lists compensation rate on their web site as up to .6 per word - but it is actually .5 to .55 per word. They also say you can make $15 an hour - that is very rare. (in several years I made that amount maybe 5 times)

Pros
flexible schedule and availability of work
Cons
Rude management, very low pay, poor quality dictations
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Horrible Place to Work
Frustrating work, lack of support from superiors, compensation hasn't changed in the going-on nine years I've typed for them, though they have steadily increased the price of the product for clients.
Virtual At-Home Transcription
This was a virtual, home-based transcription job. While it was great to work from home, the pay is per word and extremely low (1 cent per word transcribed).
Too many hours for too little pay
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to create my own hours and work from home.

A typical day at work I set at my computer and transcribe legal audio dictation from my headset.

The hardest part of the job is being able to make enough money to even pay self-employment taxes!
Pros
Work from home and pick own hours
Cons
Not enough money to even pay my self-employment taxes!
A great way to fill in the gaps
An excellent opportunity to work from home; it does take some practice to adjust to their styles; not the best pay, but does allow you to set your own schedule.
Pros
work from home, set own hours
Cons
poor pay compensation