SpeakWrite

SpeakWrite Employee Reviews for Typist

Legal Typing
Receive audio files on the computer. Observe client's requirements and company policy. Adhering to both, type document in timely manner to resend to client.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay
Perfect for a SAHM!
I’ve been working for SpeakWrite as a General Typist for a few weeks now and I am loving it! I am a stay at home mom, so the ability to hop on and type when I have a free minute is invaluable. I schedule myself for two hours a day (usually in the evenings after my baby has gone to sleep) and I also pick up extra hours whenever they send an email saying they have bonuses on for typist help! It’s great! I am averaging about $50/day for 4-5 hours of typing. It’s so nice to supplement my family with this income and to do it in my pajamas!

Some cons I can think of are the very extensive rules/formatting involved. You may spend a lot of time researching, and that is unpaid. However, I assume after typing a lot it becomes second nature. Sometimes the dictations are sloppy with large pauses/errors that are also unpaid and a lot of background noise to filter through.
Pros
Work from home, flexible schedule, make your own hours
Fantastic all around
I've read the other reviews and a lot don't even make sense to me. One states "I don't even make enough to cover self-employment taxes." Interesting since you pay taxes based on what you earn, so if you are a responsible adult and put away a portion of every check, you shouldn't have an issue. First of all, this job isn't going to make you a millionaire. I live in an extremely rural area where work is scarce. You either work at the grocery store, gas station, or if you're lucky a local office and earn between minimum wage and $10 per hour. I am a stay-at-home mom and home school my 7- year- old daughter. I work around her schedule, about 15-25 hours per week or so. SpeakWrite pays $0.005 per word typed for a primary/standby primary shift and they do pay idle time if you are primary. For premier shifts they pay $0.0055 per word. If you've done work for other transcription companies you know this isn't a bad deal. I also work for a captioning service and trust me, this is a lot better. There is a lot to learn with their formatting, but after about 2 months, most of it becomes second nature. This is not a full-time job and shouldn't be expected to be, but if you are looking for a little extra money, it is definitely worth it. They are family oriented and have no problem praising goodn hard work. They also pay on the 1st and 15th of every month either by check or direct deposit.
Pros
Prompt payment, flexible hours
Cons
Extensive formatting to learn but worth it
Work From home
It is wonderful to work from home and make your own hours. The pay is competitive and is based completely on how much you want to work each day and each week. Payment is always received in a timely fashion and professional help is always readily available when needed.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.