Speare Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

A family/community atmosphere where you worked on behalf of your neighbor...
Director of Casework Management (Former Employee) –  Casework Management Office - 2nd floorJuly 26, 2019
MD's and SW work collaboratively on behalf of patients providing resources and explicit discharge plans

Assure resources offered and utilized as preventive care and overuse of
# of hospital days and admissions

Speare was a small regional hospital, staffed by locals who felt dedication and loyalty to the community. Turnover was minimal. Participation felt like a family effort
Great Starter Job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHMay 16, 2019
Speare Memorial Hospital is a great starter job. I started working there when I was young, and I continue to work there while I attend college. It has taught me so much about what it's like to work in a healthcare environment, and it certainly has helped me during my nursing career. However, I do not recommend working here long-term because the hospital has no opportunities for advancement, and nurses are not paid well.
Pros
Cozy atmosphere, kind coworkers, hire young workers
Cons
Benefits, insurance, little chance for advancement, poor management
Career motivated
Optician's assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHMarch 18, 2019
Great place for learning and becoming career motivated. Many positions available and learning opportunities. Would recommend this place to anyone looking to try something new.
No advancement in your career, run away and find another nearby hospital.
Dissatisfied former employee (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHFebruary 18, 2019
There is no room for advance to clinically or financially. The management teams do not care to see salary data from anything but their own. They don’t care that hard working people who remain loyal and deserve raises don’t get them. You will literally never get a raise you deserve. The management also creates witch hunts on staff/employees they don’t like. It is very immature. The hiring manager is also not honest. He will tell you one thing and then turn around and do another. If you choose to work here hire a lawyer to look everything over and do not trust management. My advice is to head north or south where there are better hospitals, better providers, and better services.
Pros
403(b) is decent
Cons
Everything else
excellent manager
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHDecember 27, 2018
THe management is excellent and supportive and the work environment fosters individual growth. There is always opportunity for education and the staff work as a team. I really enjoy my work here and look forward to a future with Speare Memorial Hospital.
Speare Hospital
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHFebruary 7, 2018
Many opportunities offered to me. I learned care management and utilization review. The most enjoyable part of the job is being involved in a close-knit community. Doctors are very knowledgeable and willing to educate the nursing staff.
Typical day at Speare
Administrative Assistant to CEO & CFO (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHJanuary 12, 2018
Depending on the day I could be taking minutes at the Board meeting or Board Committee meetings. Corresponding with providers and or directors. Assisting patients with questions and or concerns.

There is a mixture of cultures here. Many long time employees and new employees first time working for a non profit or medical based business.

The hardest part of my job is remembering that not all people have my same work ethic. I stay until the job is done.

I enjoy dealing with people. Organizing a project and following it through to fruition gives me a great sense of accomplishment.
Highly recommended
Polysomnographic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHJune 18, 2017
Great place to work. Work hard and you will be rewarded for it. Staff and managers are hard working. Many benefits even for part-timers. Highly recommended
Quaint family & community oriented place to work for
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHMay 8, 2017
An average day at work might be very busy or could be slow and one may have to be flexible to float to another department to help out there.
Co workers are very friendly and supportive of each other.
Management will go out of there way to listen to you and help you out if needed.
Productive and great supervision
Patient care management Intern (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NH 03264March 28, 2017
This internship was educational and supportive. My supervisors were very understanding of situations in the workplace and provided excellent advice. I would definitely recommend those who are interested in medical social work and patient care management to pursue SPEARE Memorial Hospital.
Staff is like a family at SMH
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHDecember 29, 2016
SMH is a highly functional family and fun to be part of for the past 15 years. A typical day at work is fast paced and rewarding because all staff enjoys helping the patients.
Pros
This is a very talented and dedicated staff. In all departments.
Cons
Difficulty with time off due to staffing needs.
Small hospital in a vacation area, dedicated staff
Emergency Department PA, Hospitalist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHJune 2, 2016
Spare was a great place to work. The Emergency Department team consisted of 4 MDs, 2 PAs and 1 NP. We were a strong team that got along well and provided great service to an area that had a unique patient base. The area attracted skiers, mountain climbers, and hikers year round. I was asked in 2014 to begin helping the Hospitalist service with their increasing patient census. This proved to be an amazing experience where I learned an incredible amount of medicine, inpatient orthopedics, cardiology from a diverse group of physicians and specialists in a rural area.
Small, critical access hospital where one can gain a lot of experience
Clinical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHSeptember 9, 2014
Speare Memorial Hospital is a small, critical access hospital located in the white mountains of New Hampshire where I had a wide-range of responsibilities. I was provided the opportunity to manage large scale software projects, but also acquired knowledge related to networking, hardware deployment strategies, helpdesk management, and in supporting bio-medical devices.
Ratings are for Pharmacy Only-The Hospital Itself is Great
Per Diem Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  PharmacySeptember 18, 2013
Be forewarned that the pharmacy is led by 2 people who are completely unprofessional and difficult to work with. Further they work at a small 25 bed hospital and think that they have a complete understanding of hospital pharmacy. For example if you make a mistake the interim director who is immature and over her head as an administrator, doesnt bother to discuss it with you in a manner that is constructive. She would rather make comments intended to embarrass you or not tell you at all then bring it up again intended to embarrass you. The technician thinks she is perfect and again tries to embarrass you rather than explain what the problem was and suggest how to correct it. I could not speak highly enough of the other staff who work there and are really wonderful people. They dont have a Director of Pharmacy and it clearly shows with the poor attitude of these 2. The first thing I would do is fire these 2 individuals as the rest of the department has really good people who deserve better.
Pros
small hospital with multiple services that makes it interesting, Nurses are awesome and really care, Pharmacy is next to the units so if there is a question you can just walk out the door and ask
Cons
see above
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHSeptember 6, 2013
Established a sterile field and set up preoperative surgical field. Assisted physicians in a calm timely and professional manner. Pulled next day cases and stocked operating rooms. Executed cases in ENT, Gynecology, C-sections, Orthopedics; total hip replacement, total knee replacement, arthroscopy, General surgery, Ophthalmology, Trauma and Endoscopy cases.
Pros
Internship
Cons
Long commute
patient oriented care setting. caring personnel. friendly place to work.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, NHJuly 9, 2013
I have enjoyed working at Speare. I think that the employees at the hospital are kind,caring, and friendly to work with. The administration is easy to communicate with and are available. Had hoped to get into a more permanent position, but that does not happen often.