Special Counsel Employee Reviews

Poor working conditions
Document Review Attorney (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 28, 2018
The pay is extremely low. There have been a lot of complaints of back pains and injuries because the chairs are uncomfortable. There is no prior notice regarding project termination.
No frills
Document Review Attorney (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 23, 2018
For entry level document review, they provide simple no frills work and don't ask much beyond hours requirements and simple communication and effort. Some projects are hit and miss for available work and good management. Doc review is a rough field and they seem a little better than most in it.
Pros
Low bar for entry
Cons
Pay, impersonal
Poor management
Staff (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 4, 2018
Very cut-throat, negative culture, and total disregard for work/life balance. I do know there have been a lot of changes since I was with this company, though.
They’ll Find A Position For You ...
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 3, 2018
But woe if the employer was difficult and you decide the position is not for you. They will blackball you, blame you for the failure and will not support you.

It’s the sad truth. So let them find you a position and hope it works out. Just know if it doesn’t they will not place you again.
Pros
They’ll find you a position
Cons
Pro Employer/Client not Employee in search of job
Phenomenal law firm in downtown Nashville
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 24, 2018
From the first day I was treated so kindly by the office staff by way of introductions; tour of offices, access to facilities... The staff was eager to answer any questions. The staff check in periodically to review assignment and progress os same.
Pros
Luncheon discounts at kiosk.
Cons
Location near tourist venues and downtown traffic woes.
Very Inconsistent
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2018
In Miami you pay for parking $15 a day and they only pay $22 an hour. Not worth the aggravation of working for this organization.

They make you clock in every time you work, so essentially they're knocking off about 10 - 15 minutes each day while you wait for your computer to boot up and the internet to connect. Add that missed time to a couple months and that is money lost.
Pros
Free water
Cons
No life, long hours and low pay
Disorganized
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 5, 2018
Very disorganized management I think caused my temporary assignment to end after less than the estimated month. A job with them should be your last resort. Find something, anything, else.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Disorganized management
Very inconsistent
Document Review Attorney (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 23, 2018
This is not the place to work if you need consistency and a regular schedule. Projects are frequently cancelled or bumped leaving you without pay for days or weeks at a time.
I didn't really like working with them
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 12, 2018
They use you up, then don't return your phone calls. The guy I spoke with was a little manic, couldn't get him off the phone, then when I called back with questions, couldn't get him on the telephone. Very clear he was screening his calls. He should get over himself.
Its A Job
Document Review Attorney (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 13, 2018
Just moved to a nicer office (the last place was a total dump!). You are stacked in like sardines and work at a computer for 8-14 hours per day reading documents for discovery. Not fun or rewarding, but it is a paycheck. Realistically, the job is for attorneys that can't get another job, don't want to practice, are retired, or having a mid life career crisis.

The people we work with in New Orleans are nice overall. However, to Special Counsel, you are just a body in a seat and a revenue center. They want you to work 40 hours per week, but change the office hours regularly, making it difficult to do so.. Also, the air conditioner turns off at 6 pm daily, so the place gets hot and muggy.

The pay rate for the same work is inconsistent across the country.
Apparently, attorneys in Chicago and Miami who do the same work get paid more and get overtime. In New Orleans, overtime is STRAIGHT HOURLY, no time and a half.

Benefits ... the project manager promised to "buy us cookies" if the team met its hourly goal. Woo Hoo!
Pros
Fairly flexible hours, easy work.
Cons
Not consistent with projects, low pay rate, bad coffee.
If you can pass, pass
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2018
I went down to work on a document review in Austin and it really wasn't a document review. They had us going through documents and extracting various information which we had to type into another field. The documents were loaded into Relativity but there was no litigation. This was much more data entry than document review. Be sure it is document review because if your typing skills are not fast, then you won't last. The Austin Special Counsel people were alright. The Special Counsel Florida people were just total jerks. If you have to deal with Special Counsel of Florida, probably should pass unless you have to. Then in spite of filling out a brand new hiring packet with current info, they mailed my check to an address I haven't live at in years. I'm not very happy with Special Counsel.
Pros
Nice co-workers and facilities
Document Review
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 19, 2018
Special Counsel provided little training. Colleagues were very helpful in helping and now I am proficient in document review and in the use of Relativity, the document review program
Pros
Flexible work schedule, Nice office space.
Cons
Disorganization of client and company, Downtown work location.
Recruiter
Legal Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 3, 2018
I was able to gain more insight into what certain companies are searching for in reference to employment as a direct result of this experience. I strengthened my human resource skills as well as my communication skills.
More consistent in staffing
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 30, 2018
Overall a good experience with Special Counsel. Usually fairly quick about having something in the pipe to go work on. Hours available to work were good.
Good Experience
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company. It was a great way to gain experience and explore different work opportunities in various legal sectors without making a long term commitment, and often offering immediate employment opportunities.
Excellent Company
Contract Paralegal and Special Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2018
Great place to work if you are looking for employment in diverse fields. The staff is professional, understanding, and personable. They truly care about every contractor they work with.
Project was great but Special Counsel people were not
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 11, 2017
I enjoyed working with the client, however I was apparently a threat and had to endure serious backlash when I helped the client. It was the contractor that was not doing well and my feedback was valuable to the client, yet not appreciated by the contractor.

The client appreciated my work enough that they provided for a significant raise and extended my contract. The contractor, clearly did not recognize my value the same.
Pros
Location was great and I truly enjoyed working with the client
Cons
The reason that the contractor didn't fire me was because the client appreciated my work.
Satisfied
Document Review Attorney (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2017
I was satisfied with the assignments provided. The people were nice. I worked in the Baltimore Office it was convenient to the metro. the office was clean
Horrible company
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2017
Recruiters make it seem like they are doing you a favor when they call you back. They demean you and act like they are better than the people they are trying to help.
It's ok
Multilingual Document Review (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 1, 2017
Not a bad place to work. They pay well enough and usually have a good work environment. Be prepared to deal with manager dysfunction and co-worker back-stabbing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Special Counsel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.2Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight