Special Education District of Lake County Employee Reviews

Incompatible
Transition Coach (Former Employee) –  Gages Lake, ILMay 23, 2019
There is a great deal of conflict at this organization; a great deal of opposition.
Perhaps it's the positions, and the burnout,yet, the lack of comradery is evident.
There is a great deal of room for improvement within this organization.
Pros
Working with the individual students
Cons
Lack of Support Lack of Equipment Lack of Progress and or Solutions
Great time off
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Lake County, ILFebruary 10, 2018
Working in the school system is rewarding in of itself. There are good days and bad. The time off is very hard to beat, two weeks at Christmas and New Years. One week at spring break. Then the summer off with paychecks spread out over the year. Time to do other things. The pay is extremely low, under 20k a year. Medical benefits are free.
Pros
Only work 180 days a year! Summers off.
Cons
Very low annual salary. Less than 20K
Rewarding position
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Mundelein, ILFebruary 21, 2017
Working with special needs children is a rewarding and challenging position. Even though the position does not pay very well, the daily interaction with the children is a breath of fresh air.
I enjoy going to work every day. Not every day is a walk in the park, but a learning experience.
I work one on one with a student. High school level, these children are just that, children. Molding behaviors, teaching life skills they will use in the real world for them.
Pros
The kids, great benefits
Cons
Low pay
Rock solid employment with appreciative supervisors
1:1 Aide (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILFebruary 16, 2017
A 1:1 teacher's aide has a standard day length anchored on their 1:1 student's schedule, which includes bus transport to job training sites and occasional school events (plays, concerts, award ceremonies). I learned that patience, kindness, and modeling gentle friendly behavior builds rapport, then trust. Always check with the teacher in charge, early and often, and match her actions in accord, so if she is pursuing a "No smiles 'till Spring, all smiles after Spring" policy, you are right there with a unified front.
School management places a high value on your being able to handle the classroom without drawing frequently on their limited supply of attention, and being kind and organized before an emergency greatly simplifies the resolution of the emergency. Workplace culture is smoother when you internalize satisfaction at being there, do not complain, and in fact smile warmly at the secretaries. They are key to everything, and crucial to all operations; learn their birthdays.
The hardest part of the job is maintaining self-care so that you have genuine emotional reserves to draw on when the children have empty-tank days. The most enjoyable part of the job is the longest and hardest to accrue, but it is the reputation you build over time as the person the teachers can count on to handle any situation with confidence and with care. That reputation, and the respect that goes with it, is deeply satisfying, and extends out into the community for years afterward.
Pros
Recognition in the community for service, long term
Cons
Parents of students can drain emotional energy
Good Cause
Vocational Trainer (Former Employee) –  Gages Lake, ILDecember 14, 2016
Your work benefits children with disabilities and their families. Be prepared to assume many "tertiary duties." High employee turnover rate due to low wages
Pros
Reasonable health and dental benefits
Cons
Low wages
A good place to work
Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gages Lake, ILApril 27, 2015
A good place to work but keep in mind the ever shifting culture of education. New ideas do not always win out over established habits in education and this is no exception. You must be thick skinned and ready to bring alternatives to the table that you can back up. Can be an uncomfortable environment for those who do not conform.
Pros
Great Stability
Cons
Inflexible
SEDOL was the best program I have ever seen for young adults with special needs..
Transition Coach (Former Employee) –  Gages Lake, ILJune 3, 2014
SEDOL was the most loving, fun and rewarding job I ever had. Every staff member was a team player and there to assist if a need arose. The students and staff were always glad to be there.
Pros
Felt like family
Cons
Mandatory 24 pay periods
I loved working with the teachers and the students.
Hearing Itinerant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gages Lake, ILJune 18, 2013
I enjoyed going to different schools and working with many teachers.The students were the best part of my job. Sometimes the weather made traveling to the different schools challenging. I had supervisors at each school in addition to my SEDOL supervisor. I believe they were happy with my work. I enjoyed learning from the teachers I worked with. How some teachers deal with different situations.
Enjoy working with at-risk youth
Substitute Teacher/Office Intervention (Current Employee) –  Gages Lake, ILMarch 14, 2013
My most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with the kids.
Pros
flexability
Cons
i do not receive any kind of benefits; (health, and or job security