Specialized Medical Services Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 24, 2018
They had a great balance with work and life. I had fun while working here. The only complaint I would have it the management consistency and fairness.
Great job!
Respiratory Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2018
I loved working, for SMS. I had to leave due to a move to Ventura, California. I liked the fact that we, as Respiratory Therapists, truly supplied a need in the SNF, and Rehab Centers. The nursing staff was so happy to see us! The 24/7 call could be a bit much at times due to the large coverage area, and no call rotation. They have since increased the staffing, and I'm sure it's much better. I would love to work, for them again, if I lived closer to the territory they cover in California.
Pros
Respect, and appreciation of nursing staff, schedule autonomy, company vehicle, laptop, and phone.
Cons
24/7 call
Small company, large amount of work
Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2018
Working at SMS was a great experience where I gained many skills and knowledge about healthcare, billing, and management. The office culture is fairly relaxed with a fast paced, high demand work load that keeps you busy all day. No day is ever the same here. The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility to run my own reports and analyze where I felt was needed, then to report it to upper management. This direct connection and feedback allowed me to be a contributor to the organization.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good pay, relaxed office culture
Cons
Merger changed company culture, career advancement difficult
Ok company. No advancement
Service Technician / Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2018
This is a decent company for CDL B driving work. Not as hard as usual. Worked there for 3 years. Never had a raise. Asked and was refused so I sought other employment.
It's tolerable but may not be for everyone
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 7, 2018
My direct supervisor is awesome but it all depends on who that is in your department/area.
Due to my location my days start later but the bad part is they end later.
The hardest part of the job is covering a huge territory alone and not getting shift differentials for evening hours or weekends when you're on-call.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the flex schedule and the company van.
The benefits are horrible so I had to get my own after a few months of shopping around. There is no 401K available so you better do your own investing.
I would recommend the job because I enjoy my actual patient care and building relationships with the nurses but if you need real money and to have your evenings available for family this won't last.
Pros
company van, flex hours
Cons
pay, benefits, size of territory
Decent work for Great pay; Rarely overworked
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, WIDecember 8, 2017
I have worked on and off for SMS since 2016. This is the best company I have worked for. The pay and flexible customized scheduling is great, however, you need to be able to learn care routines of residents quickly and professionally.
Pros
Flexibility, Decent Life/Work balance
Cons
Need to be quick to adapt
Words cannot describe, it defies all reason
Delivery Technician (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WIOctober 6, 2017
Worked here for 6 years constant dysfunction and then hysteria. The managers/supervisors along with the majority of warehouse workers tried hard for a better end result for the customer base. But irrational self serving upper management destroyed everything from moral to customer contracts most upper management felt entitled to a position they were completely unqualified for.
Pros
Im drawing a blank
Cons
Psychotic personalities, Nepotism, lack of common sense, refusal to learn from past mistakes.
Love the job and people I work with
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 1, 2017
Love my job with SMS just work alot of hours and hard on the home life. Love working with the facilities that i have on a weekly basic. Everyone is very friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Misinformation, management not fostering a healthy work enviroment.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WI 53151August 15, 2017
On the road to much, when time came to be rewarded for opening facilities in 5 states and enduring living out of hotels for up to 4 months at a time. The eliminated my position.
It's a job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 21, 2017
I was fortunate to work in an area where hours had some flexibility, which was great for work/life balance. Compensation was fair, but no raises for cost of living or performance. Very little room for advancement, unless you are in with (or related to) the right people.
Pros
Work/life balance, free lunches, casual dress code
Cons
No pay increases, little room for advancement
To much Micromanaging
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INJune 14, 2017
The job is fine if left to do it. However, management likes to control every minute of your job. I'm surprised they do not schedule in your bathroom breaks. If not for the contract work, I would still be there.
Not a good place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WIApril 20, 2017
I wish I had known about this company before leaving my last job. I wouldn't of done it! No raise given a year, management is all over the place, no one is on the same page. Some people are treated unfairly.
Unpleasant work enviroment.
Medical Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2017
Did enter charges for skilled nursing facilities. Some charges were to be submitted to insurance companies and some charges were billed to the facility that were not covered by insurance companies. The best part of the job is enough work to keep busy. The hardest part of the job is coworkers are difficult to get along with.
Pros
Lunches were served suring month end billing.
Cons
Difficult coworkers.
Good ol' boy system for sure.
DME Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 9, 2017
If you liked high school we're certain click's get along you'll love this place..As long as management likes you your job is great..Once they don't your job is miserable..No raise unless your in with the boss. Benefits are the worst I've ever had especially for the medical industry. You earn PTO which they tell you to use cause it's your time that you've earned but when you try and use it you get reprimanded.Stay AWAY unless your desperate.
Pros
Nome
Cons
I enjoyed working along with different people at different facalities
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 22, 2017
I enjoyed being able to go to different facilities. Being able to work along with different residents in their home. While working with them I felt with visiting with them and also doing my job. It gave the little excitement to be able to have someone to talk to.
Nice work environment , but terrible management.
Try (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 7, 2016
Terrible management! I was told I couldn't have the days off I was promised when hired. Also, I was placed oncall for a weekend that I didn't even know about until the day before. This was also my first time being oncall. I was never asked if I was comfortable with it. I quit that day. The pay wasn't worth it!
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Horrible management!
Really Bad Company To Work For!
DME Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2016
The higher ups in the Texas region are incompetent! They micro manage and set high expectations that are nearly impossible. B.I. has no idea what he is doing and continues to keep a job because his brother is the boss over Texas! I believe you would rather kill yourself than work for those two clowns!
Pros
Cons
The two brothers that run the Texas region. Pay!
poor job work/life balance
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXJune 25, 2016
poor job work/life balance . long hours, poor benefits. 24/7 on call. this job never quits. you are unable to have any outside life.
Pros
later am start
Cons
poor job work/life balance . 24/7 on call
sm
Register Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 15, 2016
A company that allowed me to work on my own at my own time and trusted me to get my job done on time and right.
unoranized place to work in and training sucks
billing (Former Employee) –  milwaukee, wiMay 25, 2016
too much friends and family and too much favoritism, unorganized and too much noise that you cant even concentrate, management has no knowledge or lack of knowledge for billing procedures and it is all over the place disgusting. you cant plan for vacations because of month end billing which is mandated for 2 weeks so there is no balance between personal and work