Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery Employee Reviews

Fantastic company, Cares about customers
Catering Manager/Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2018
Great company for both internal and external clients. Treat employees well and definitely care about their customers. Culture focuses on customer satisfaction by enabling associates to best perform their roles.
It was a great place to enhance my customer service skills as well as pick up more skills in multitasking and building strong work relationships.
Cashier/Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60606November 9, 2018
I truly loved working for specialty's because I loved baking cookies and working with customers to make sure that their visit was always welcoming, comfortable, and charming. I loved being able to be apart of a team who each contributed their own special place in the company to get tasks done quickly and full of the best quality.
Pros
Warm cookies, discounted food and great place to learn new skill sets from
Cafe Life
BARISTA/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 27, 2018
A small but mightly bakery kitchen within the heart of the corporate world. Watch out for the lunch rush if you have never worked within this field. Great place!
Everyone is really friendly
cashier/ barista (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 26, 2018
Good working environment it’s like working with your family. Love the schedule that’s Monday - Friday weekends of and holidays off. Don’t get holidays payed.
Pros
Free lunch and discounts on food
Cons
Less hours
It was a good begging experience
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  ElsegundoSeptember 1, 2018
Move fast pace and you should be fine. Make sure the floors are clean, the walls, the sinks and drains are empty and the dish washer is clean. Double bag all the trash cans
Very Fast paced
Lead Front House Guest Services-Barista (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 1, 2018
Very Busy Non stop Place to work and You need Good Customer Service Skills. Be able to Manage your time Wisely. Room for advancement and need to work weekends.
Pros
Day goes by fast
Cons
Never set schedule
Loved working there
CATERING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  LaJolla, CAJuly 26, 2018
The cafe felt like a family environment even though it is a corporate business. The team always stayed side by side through the hurdles during the day.Management actually had an open door policy, they were helpful during difficult times in various employees lives.
Really great coworkers and customers.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 2, 2018
I have been a barista for 3 different companies, I love the environment and meeting all the different customers. Specialties was my first actual full time job, and I loved it.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Sometimes would be very fast paced, sometimes I wouldn’t have time to take a lunch
Working
salad line cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2018
I was asked to perform the duties that were given and I finished them quickly and moved on to the next task. I had to move at a quick pace to get things done. The supervisors were excellent in providing help and training
Pros
Keeping busy
Cons
Having to leave early if there is not much work left to do
team environment
Prep/salad line (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAJune 19, 2018
Even though I worked at Specialty"s for a short period of time, I have to say it had the best management I have encountered. The co-workers were like a family and everyone was in it together. I highly recommend the Specialty"s in La Jolla for someone who is looking to train in all aspects of a bakery/cafe. All training is done there.
Pros
half off food and many free perks
Cons
hours can get cut based on catering
Used to be a Dynamic and Open Workplace
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 14, 2018
There have been a significant number of personnel changes from top to bottom in recent months. Unfortunately, the new leadership has not been transparent about these changes and the strategy remains vague with few details shared about plans. The new executives also seem to be disconnected with their people which is not helping with the sense of uncertainty in the workplace and as a result, people are no longer as engaged as they used to be. The people are now hesitant to speak and prefer to remain silent.
Pros
Good work-life balance options
Cons
Management is disconnected with their people; Salaries are below average industry standards
Horrible pay
Barista/Catering Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAApril 30, 2018
The pay for this job is horrible. Its not like I expect to make millions but for other jobs in the area the pay is not fair. I can make more at Wendy's down the street.
n/a
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2018
good company to work for. great benefits. paid time off great over all i started as a prep and moved up step by step in the year and 2 months i was with the specialtys company in dtla
Very fast paced, no time for fooling around here
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 11, 2018
I loved working here, your day just flew because there was always something to do, you have time to lean, you have time to clean, I’ve always worked by that motto
Pros
Cons
You only got employee discount for your meal & only if you worked that day
Fun workplace
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 1, 2018
Our store was fairly easy going with unbalanced work placed upon the employees. Our customer service is great with our customers being priority over anything we do. Micro-management was done somewhat poorly but as long as everyone does their job, the place runs smoothly.
Pros
50% off everything except for coffee, coworkers could talk freely as long as everything is being done right, flexible hours
Cons
Pay is average, management wasn’t phenomenal.
Bad product, good coworkers
Baker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2018
As a baker, I could not deal with the products I made. I found them unappetizing, to say the least. But it was a job, which I did to the best of my ability.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Made LOTS of bad product very well
Higher pay than other places, not best management
Catering Assistant, Guest Services, Barista (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
The pay was higher and the product was better than a lot of other places, but the management seemed to be all over the place. Hard to find a path to move up unless you were a favorite of someone in the corporate office.
It was mostly stressful.
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2018
I would get to work and do a line check. See what we have and don't have. once that was done, if my held wasn't needed on the line immediately i would start prepping. Then at lunch I would hop on line and help out. then after lunch, back to prepping and or covering co-workers lunch times.
Pros
the schedule was really great.
Cons
Every day we was out of something.
Nice Customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 13, 2018
I loved this job because of the customers. The weekends and holidays off are the best.
I also like the way they let you learn all the different jobs there.
A potential business to invest in
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 8, 2018
It has small beginnings, but it aims for a larger picture, with a great team in its core, some great attitudes, and a strive for customer service that is rarely seen in other companies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight