Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery Employee Reviews

n/a
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2018
good company to work for. great benefits. paid time off great over all i started as a prep and moved up step by step in the year and 2 months i was with the specialtys company in dtla
Fun workplace
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 1, 2018
Our store was fairly easy going with unbalanced work placed upon the employees. Our customer service is great with our customers being priority over anything we do. Micro-management was done somewhat poorly but as long as everyone does their job, the place runs smoothly.
Pros
50% off everything except for coffee, coworkers could talk freely as long as everything is being done right, flexible hours
Cons
Pay is average, management wasn’t phenomenal.
Bad product, good coworkers
Baker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2018
As a baker, I could not deal with the products I made. I found them unappetizing, to say the least. But it was a job, which I did to the best of my ability.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Made LOTS of bad product very well
Higher pay than other places, not best management
Catering Assistant, Guest Services, Barista (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
The pay was higher and the product was better than a lot of other places, but the management seemed to be all over the place. Hard to find a path to move up unless you were a favorite of someone in the corporate office.
It was mostly stressful.
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2018
I would get to work and do a line check. See what we have and don't have. once that was done, if my held wasn't needed on the line immediately i would start prepping. Then at lunch I would hop on line and help out. then after lunch, back to prepping and or covering co-workers lunch times.
Pros
the schedule was really great.
Cons
Every day we was out of something.
Nice Customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 13, 2018
I loved this job because of the customers. The weekends and holidays off are the best.
I also like the way they let you learn all the different jobs there.
A potential business to invest in
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 8, 2018
It has small beginnings, but it aims for a larger picture, with a great team in its core, some great attitudes, and a strive for customer service that is rarely seen in other companies.
Nice Cafe and Bakery
Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Great food All bread and baked good made on site and delicious. one of the best concepts out there when it come to growing sales.
Love the online ordering system and Peet's Coffee bar in each cafe
Pros
Great food
Cons
New owners work you too hard.
Productive and fun
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here, it’s one of the best places you could work, you get your holidays off, your weekends, it’s flexable, there are so many opportunities to move up.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
You can’t eat in the dining room
Fun place to work
Assistant Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2018
Pretty fast paced for the most part but that is part of the fun in the job. Preparing the catered meals and making sure orders get to a location on time may seem stressful but as mentioned it's a part of the job.
Pros
Free/Discounted Lunch
Cons
Workload can be crazy at times.

Want to know more about Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery?

Ask a question
cool
Peet's Coffee Barista (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2018
this was a cool place to work, I liked how I basically got to work alone in the café corner. It also fit my schedule really well, I was sad that I had to leave.
Specialty's Cafe and Bakery
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Loved the fast pace because always had something to do. Didnt enjoy the 1st manager who only lasted 3 months because it was her first time as a manager
Expect to do lots of roles outside of what you were orignally hired for.
Barista / Guest Service Representative / Baker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 21, 2017
You're expected to do a magnitude of tasks outside of what you have applied for, yet there is no pay increase for the added tasks.

No one can live off of $14.00/hr in San Francisco where the poverty level is at $105,350 annually for a family of four.
Cons
No Healthcare benefits, Low Pay, No Overtime, Lack of career advancment, Wear multiple hats without additional pay, No holiday pay, Holiday hours are limited.
Good place for work life balance
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
Worked for the company for many years.
Yes its a stressful place at times but weekends off and great work hours make it a wise choice for anyone in the food industry.
I recommend it to anyone in the industry I meet.
Pros
No weekends or holidays; Great hours of operation; Consistent schedule
Cons
Pay could be better for hourly employees and benefits could improve
Management is terrible
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
I worked for this company about two years , I have never seen so many people quit a company in my life !! Managers where quoting cashiers where quitting the bakers even quit ! It is a small store , and the expect a lot out of you , they want you to wear many different hats , but they don't want to pay you for those hats ! If you are a cashier and you come in at 8 am and it's slow at 11 or 12 you will be sent home even if you where supposed to work 6-8 . If you want a job like this this is the place to work !
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
No benefits, no paid time off
Fast-paced work place.
Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2017
A typical day at work starts at 5:30 am, checking any extra catering that has been added between 6 pm and 5 am and give this information to the baker. Then order tickets are given to kitchen, in order to plan the day ahead. Catering team starts prepping drinks, chips, cookies, and pastries as well as completing orders to be ahead for the day. Deliveries are assigned and they get to be delivered at their respective time. At the end of the day, we do a commitment sheet in order to plan the next day.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Sometimes kitchen doesn't plan accordingly. Same day deliveries and pick-ups.
Flexible M-F No Holidays Workplace with limited benefits. Great food and signature cookies and baked goods
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAAugust 5, 2017
Worked more than 4 years for a profit driven company. So far, the restaurant where I work at has great management, employees and team. Flexible work schedule from Monday to Friday, no weekends & no holidays. However, limited benefits for employees like limited options of health, and dental, CA sick paid leaves and 401K not matching.
Pay not very competitve. Getting raises and promotions is rather slow and paying structure is low.
Learned a lot from the operations, food safety and healty standards running a bakery and restaurant.
Hardest part is getting engaged with work, but working as a team with management and other team members.I am just glad that I worked for the best team in the East Bay area. I wasn't getting paid enough for my accomplishments and performance working here.
Pros
Employees discount lunches, flexible schedules, M-f, no weekends and holidays
Cons
limited health & dental, 401K not matching, low raises & slow promotions
Smile
Guest Services/ Barista (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 1, 2017
Staff was really great. They allowed you to cross train where needed and most promotions come from within. Food is really good and the hours are even better.
Pros
fun work, flexible hours, no nights weekends or holidays
Cons
Monotonous work
Quick pace place to work at
Front House (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2017
Loved my job was able to learn a Lot and pick up my pacemt coworkers were pretty fun and I absolutely loved my hours because I still had time to go to school and have a social life
Pros
Flexible 50 percent off food and still have time to enjoy my day.
Cons
Low pay hard to advance and find time to learn new things.
Fast paced
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CAJuly 16, 2017
I learned organization skills at a fast paced environment with very team work oriented coworkers. Workers were friendly and nice, could get along with everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight