Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Really great coworkers and customers.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 2, 2018
I have been a barista for 3 different companies, I love the environment and meeting all the different customers. Specialties was my first actual full time job, and I loved it.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Sometimes would be very fast paced, sometimes I wouldn’t have time to take a lunch
Working
salad line cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2018
I was asked to perform the duties that were given and I finished them quickly and moved on to the next task. I had to move at a quick pace to get things done. The supervisors were excellent in providing help and training
Pros
Keeping busy
Cons
Having to leave early if there is not much work left to do
Used to be a Dynamic and Open Workplace
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 14, 2018
There have been a significant number of personnel changes from top to bottom in recent months. Unfortunately, the new leadership has not been transparent about these changes and the strategy remains vague with few details shared about plans. The new executives also seem to be disconnected with their people which is not helping with the sense of uncertainty in the workplace and as a result, people are no longer as engaged as they used to be. The people are now hesitant to speak and prefer to remain silent.
Pros
Good work-life balance options
Cons
Management is disconnected with their people; Salaries are below average industry standards
Horrible pay
Barista/Catering Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAApril 30, 2018
The pay for this job is horrible. Its not like I expect to make millions but for other jobs in the area the pay is not fair. I can make more at Wendy's down the street.
n/a
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2018
good company to work for. great benefits. paid time off great over all i started as a prep and moved up step by step in the year and 2 months i was with the specialtys company in dtla
Very fast paced, no time for fooling around here
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 11, 2018
I loved working here, your day just flew because there was always something to do, you have time to lean, you have time to clean, I’ve always worked by that motto
Pros
Cons
You only got employee discount for your meal & only if you worked that day
Fun workplace
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 1, 2018
Our store was fairly easy going with unbalanced work placed upon the employees. Our customer service is great with our customers being priority over anything we do. Micro-management was done somewhat poorly but as long as everyone does their job, the place runs smoothly.
Pros
50% off everything except for coffee, coworkers could talk freely as long as everything is being done right, flexible hours
Cons
Pay is average, management wasn’t phenomenal.
Bad product, good coworkers
Baker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2018
As a baker, I could not deal with the products I made. I found them unappetizing, to say the least. But it was a job, which I did to the best of my ability.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Made LOTS of bad product very well
Higher pay than other places, not best management
Catering Assistant, Guest Services, Barista (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
The pay was higher and the product was better than a lot of other places, but the management seemed to be all over the place. Hard to find a path to move up unless you were a favorite of someone in the corporate office.
It was mostly stressful.
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2018
I would get to work and do a line check. See what we have and don't have. once that was done, if my held wasn't needed on the line immediately i would start prepping. Then at lunch I would hop on line and help out. then after lunch, back to prepping and or covering co-workers lunch times.
Pros
the schedule was really great.
Cons
Every day we was out of something.
Nice Customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 13, 2018
I loved this job because of the customers. The weekends and holidays off are the best.
I also like the way they let you learn all the different jobs there.
A potential business to invest in
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 8, 2018
It has small beginnings, but it aims for a larger picture, with a great team in its core, some great attitudes, and a strive for customer service that is rarely seen in other companies.
Nice Cafe and Bakery
Training General Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Great food All bread and baked good made on site and delicious. one of the best concepts out there when it come to growing sales.
Love the online ordering system and Peet's Coffee bar in each cafe
Pros
Great food
Cons
New owners work you too hard.
Productive and fun
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2018
I love working here, it’s one of the best places you could work, you get your holidays off, your weekends, it’s flexable, there are so many opportunities to move up.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
You can’t eat in the dining room
Fun place to work
Assistant Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2018
Pretty fast paced for the most part but that is part of the fun in the job. Preparing the catered meals and making sure orders get to a location on time may seem stressful but as mentioned it's a part of the job.
Pros
Free/Discounted Lunch
Cons
Workload can be crazy at times.
cool
Peet's Coffee Barista (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2018
this was a cool place to work, I liked how I basically got to work alone in the café corner. It also fit my schedule really well, I was sad that I had to leave.
Specialty's Cafe and Bakery
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Loved the fast pace because always had something to do. Didnt enjoy the 1st manager who only lasted 3 months because it was her first time as a manager
Expect to do lots of roles outside of what you were orignally hired for.
Barista / Guest Service Representative / Baker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 21, 2017
You're expected to do a magnitude of tasks outside of what you have applied for, yet there is no pay increase for the added tasks.

No one can live off of $14.00/hr in San Francisco where the poverty level is at $105,350 annually for a family of four.
Cons
No Healthcare benefits, Low Pay, No Overtime, Lack of career advancment, Wear multiple hats without additional pay, No holiday pay, Holiday hours are limited.
Good place for work life balance
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
Worked for the company for many years.
Yes its a stressful place at times but weekends off and great work hours make it a wise choice for anyone in the food industry.
I recommend it to anyone in the industry I meet.
Pros
No weekends or holidays; Great hours of operation; Consistent schedule
Cons
Pay could be better for hourly employees and benefits could improve
Management is terrible
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
I worked for this company about two years , I have never seen so many people quit a company in my life !! Managers where quoting cashiers where quitting the bakers even quit ! It is a small store , and the expect a lot out of you , they want you to wear many different hats , but they don't want to pay you for those hats ! If you are a cashier and you come in at 8 am and it's slow at 11 or 12 you will be sent home even if you where supposed to work 6-8 . If you want a job like this this is the place to work !
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
No benefits, no paid time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Specialty's Cafe' & Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight