Spectrum Brands Employee Reviews

It was a pretty cool job
Equipment Trainer (Former Employee) –  Gardner, KSOctober 22, 2018
Spectrum Brands was a good job although sometimes it got really slow which would make the 10-12 hour shift extremely boring. Sometimes they would give us free lunches but that stopped after awhile.
Good Company
Corp Mgr (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 20, 2018
Good place to work but, during my time there they got into financial problems by over extending the company when they were buying up brands and ended up going into re-structuring. By what I hear they are very stable now after a new management team took over..
Pros
Great people, good environment
Cons
Poor financial mgmt.
A sense of purpose
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 11, 2018
Associates understood their roles within the Distribution Center and how they helped the overall company to succeed.The training for each position was detailed and when completed the trainee was a productive part of the team.
Good with the bad.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CASeptember 11, 2018
The company seems to lack vision for new products.
Overall there's a great group of people working there, just some day to day things that can get particularly frustrating.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Management and workload.
If you love / enjoy warehouse duties with a large company, Spectrum Brands can be one of them.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Edgerton, KSSeptember 8, 2018
As an Equipment Operator in the Elongated Department in HHI, (Home Improvement Division / National Hardware) we start out with a daily group meeting in our department with the lead personnel and supervisor. We perform stretches, then briefly go over what our goals and expectations are for the day and week. Day shift begins at 5am, 15 minute break at 730am, Lunch break at 1030am, another break at 1pm, then done for the day at 330pm. It is expected by the company that we as operators (and pickers) to have a certain amount of parts picked per hour. Since the Edgerton, Kansas location began not too long ago - It took A LOT of fine tuning and efficiency changes to make things work. Like other companies, improvements are always needed...So - I don't home in on the negative points and drawbacks. Since I've joined the Spectrum Brands team, the operations and efficiency is making progress. When you combine 2 plants from two different states into one new location, It takes time to make things work. The hardest part of the job; keeping up with the picks per hour average - However - If you know the tricks to keep your average(s) up - It's not a problem! The most enjoyable part of the job - The people I work for and with. My leads, manager and supervisors are incredibly easy, reliable and fun. When you have great managers / supervisors, it makes work life SO MUCH EASIER...Not to mention - I don't have to deal with micromanaging where I am. Awesome. I know that this type of work won't be for everyone - But, the benefits and bonuses Spectrum offers, is pretty darn good compared to other large  more... warehouse facilities. If you have a college degree, you could move up after a certain period of time.  less
Pros
Short commute, Great pay for the work duties, Consistent schedule, Vacation time is adequate.
Cons
Last minute mandatory overtime, lunch break could be 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
Unprofessional,
Lead (Former Employee) –  Gardner, KSSeptember 6, 2018
Very unprofessional, very unorganized, lack of training, lacked sufficient ways to voice concerns, employees left with no work at times and no management to reach,
Spectrum Review
Deduction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIAugust 28, 2018
Management worked well with employees
They provided different types of food during quarter end, pizza, bagels, donuts, etc
Pay was on the lower end of the scale
A standard entry-level AR position
A/R - Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIAugust 2, 2018
Spectrum Brands AR department offered an entry level position and served as a stepping stone to move on to other positions, usually with a new company. It is a fine place to work but is not very inspiring or personally fulfilling.
Great culture
National Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 30, 2018
Overall the company has a great culture, however salary and compensation is typically under the market average. the work/life balance is great and they have other strong benefits to offer, unfortunately the company is going in the wrong direction recently as leadership has been making some strategic decisions that have not been favorable for growth.
hard work with flexible schedule
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 30, 2018
It is a good job, but right now this is a seasonal position.
Flexible work schedule and good management, very low keyed
Hard work with lots of lifting and time management is required.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
seasonal
best part of day at work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJuly 19, 2018
One of the best part of my day at work was lunch time we had an additional break and catering from lee's chicken also i was offered a management position one of the best days at work.
Pros
reasonable lunch break
Cons
short pay
A lot of work but it was great. If only I was a better communicator
Seasonal Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJuly 16, 2018
This was a part time summer job and my first ever job. A typical day was going to a list of stores ensuring the product we managed was in stock and on the floor, then moving on to the next store. There was a lot of driving but we were compensated for it. A lot of work for someone who never worked before. My only regret is not being social enough to pull off talking to customers interested in the product.
Pros
Great Pay
No real teamwork - terrible atmosphere
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dixon, ILJuly 9, 2018
This is an extremely hard company to work for. The management of this facility has a real problem with being honest. I do not believe I am ever being told the truth. Favoritism is terrible in the plant. The bosses have their pets and the pets can do no wrong. People are talked down too and ridiculed openly and no one in management will do anything to stop it. In fact it appears management fosters it. No real team work. It seems as if 90% of the employees who work for this facility, care about themselves only, and nothing else. Terrible atmosphere I leave feeling defeated almost daily. I am currently looking for another job. I am normally a very upbeat and friendly person. This place makes me sick. Working here is a step backwards in the evolutionary scale of my employment history. I will always regret accepting this job
Pros
It is a pay check - benefits are ok
Cons
No thanks and no praise ever
Spectrum Brands- Blacksburg, Va
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 6, 2018
I worked full time for 2 years, never got even a merit raise-despite asking repeatedly. I never got a job evaluation, and they wanted me to assume more responsibility for only 10 cents more an hour. I had no benefits, no vacation, and seemingly the way they did things changed on almost daily basis. I did not have any after hour relationships with co-workers, nor did I stay in touch with any of them.
Pros
3 breaks per day
Cons
lack of communication.
Great pay
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 28, 2018
It was fun working at Spectrum Brands. I loved it until our new supervisor came along. I tried to get on her good side but it’s always a fight with her.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Poor management
Set-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 28, 2018
Good place to work wish I was still there tbh great benefits 401k all that good stuff. People on night shift on chemical are like a great big happy family everyone was very nice and welcoming.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Not good if your having family issues
prductivite
wearhouse worker (Current Employee) –  Edgerton, KSJune 24, 2018
good worker in this wearhouse with different workers and different positions of work in site i never be late for my work and we finish work on time all days
Inspired and Dedicated
Senior Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 8, 2018
The Spectrum team is passionate about their work and dedicated to making the workplace better all while driving towards the highest levels of customer satisfaction.
Summary of spectrum
Case Picker (Current Employee) –  Gardner, KSJune 4, 2018
Long hours mandatory 50-60 because backlog is to high not enough work-family time. Would not recommend working here they have unrealistic goals and inventory is such a mess
Growth
Operational Engineer (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 1, 2018
Every company will go through their ups and downs I tell everyone I will stay quiet because everyone has their own opinions. But everyone needs a job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Brands. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss