Spectrum Center Schools and Programs Employee Reviews

2.5
Ratings breakdown
stressful environment, little to noo support for staff
Transitional Aide (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2018
with spectrum being such a stressfulll environment, working with kids and teens who exhibit severe behaviors, there was little support for staff, high rate of turnover, not enough training
Oh gosh
IA (Current Employee) –  Inglewood, CAOctober 24, 2017
First of all, this job is NOT easy. The students make work somewhat enjoyable. This job is very demanding and tiresome. It is easy to see why there is such a high turnover rate for employees.
Too Stressful
Teacher (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 13, 2017
This was a horrible place to work. The management was terrible. They were petty and played favorites. They gave you too much work and not enough pay or credit for all the work you do. The kids were the only reason why I stayed as long as I did. For profit company only cared about the bottom line and not the students. No raises and no room for advancement. Not worth it.
Pros
The kids need a champion
Cons
No real lunch, not enough pay and too much staff drama
Productive and supportive place to work
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Inglewood, CASeptember 27, 2017
Great learning and personal growth experiences. There is an administrator for curriculum, an administrator for behavior management, and an administrator for IEPs readily available as needed on a daily basis.The director of programs has an open-door policy of communication and the administrative staff are knowledgeable of day-to-day operations.
Pros
All the support you get from administration
Cons
job security depends on student enrollment; does not do contracts with teachers
Run
1:1 Aide (Former Employee) –  Wadsworth, ILSeptember 8, 2017
The children are very aggressive, and it is not unusual to get physically assaulted several times a day. Also, while working here I got cheated out of several hours of pay. At the Lake county site, there are too many Chiefs and not enough indians. There are too many shady incidents to report at this location. Run from this position!
Cons
Pay, no lunch break, very aggressive students
It can kill you soul, if you let it.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  CAAugust 17, 2017
This company is the devil of education. It is a for profit institution that cares for the bottom line than the care of the children. They are not abusive just apathetic and that is evident from the program director down. The workers are petty and cruel to each other which puts the student's in the position of having to choose favorites.
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
bad work environment, terrible work culture, no over site
Low Pay Uncaring Management
After Care (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 4, 2015
Stay were you are, the job here is not worth it. Unless your a women and do everything your told and look the other way. Not enough money in the budget or training for this position.
Pros
The children appreciate your hard work.
Cons
The management only cares about the $$$
Challenging but rewarding work. Working with children is my chosen profession. Spectrum is a great company to further my experience and learn daily
Instructional Aide II (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work is dealing with multiple personalities from students and staff alike. I've learned to stay even tempered through good and not so good situations. I enjoy working with my co-workers, we are like family and work very closely together. The hardest part of the job is staying prepared for the ups and downs that each day brings. However, it's also enjoyable to be a positive source for someone who's in need.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Short lunches
hard place to work for.
T.A (Current Employee) –  HaywardApril 30, 2015
Hard job to do when you don't have acquit staff and training.pay should be more for what you have to deal with. High turn over for staff because of pay. Would like to do more for the kids but its difficult when you are not trained properly.also you only get 20 minutes for lunch which isn't enough time when you deal with behavioral issues.
Cons
pay lunch breaks.
Racist and discriminatory
TA (Former Employee) –  oaklandMarch 9, 2015
This company does not like and support positive black male role models who are trying to make a positive change in the lives of young at risk black males there. The administrative staff does not support you and will even play favorites among staff.

When they decide they don't want you there any more the well come up with some bogus lie to get rid of you. No matter what you do it's never enough for them, when they decide they have a personal vendetta against you.

If you are a progressive young black male who actually cares about making a change within the young at Risk black youth and are actually trying to counter react the lies that are being told to black youth in school to our Eurocentric Curriculum, Spectrum is not the place for you! If you just want to be a babysitter and keep your mouth shut and tuck your tail between your legs; do your perfect fit for spectrum.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
everything
Challenging Environment
Counselor (Pre-Licensed Therapist) (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CASeptember 16, 2014
Challenging students to work with; however, the administration that you may encounter are more challenging.
It feels as though hard work is not appreciated. This is evidenced by the high turnover rate, below average pay, and management's critical opinion (more critical than supportive). Some individuals in administration were very competent, supportive, and helpful; unfortunately, this is not the majority.
The co-workers are pleasant, and tend to help each other out when needed. There is a lot of turnover at this job location and employees seem dissatisfied and morale is low.
Actually, most of the students (while challenging) were enjoyable. Dislike the politics of this environment and little to no room for advancement.
Pros
School closure/breaks
Cons
Pay, Unsupportive upper management, Poor benefits
I had a great rapport with staff and students, and the environment was very fulfilling as far as my daily duties surrounding special needs students
Classroom Aide-Special Education (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CA.August 12, 2014
Assisted teachers with classroom paperwork
• Ran small group and individual instruction- Math/Language Arts.
• Implemented classroom management through a point/level system.
• Supervised students in structured and unstructured times.
• Attended staff meetings/trainings.
Communicated with staff about students’ individual needs.
• Helped the teacher create and implement the student’s individual academic and behavioral goals.

Everyday I felt I had the opportunity to help young people with very challenging adolescent behaviors and everyday was fulfilling and awarding, seeing the positive affect I had on these students. Their growth, behaviorally and academically, through much adversity made me feel like it wasn't work at all, it was moving and meaningful and I felt like it was what I was put on earth to do.
Great workplace, not enough $$
BEHAVIOR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Pico Rivera/Whittier , CAJune 27, 2014
It was great working with Spectrum Center for a short period of time. The staff and management were amazing and they invested a lot of time and resources in training and preparing their staff. Work-life balance was great. It was a regular school day (8-4) shifts. Staff only complained about the salaries.
The reason I left was because I got offered triple what I was making doing the same type of work. Spectrum Center tried to match it (came very close) but I thought, "if I had to resign to get what they are willing to pay, I guess I have to fight for every promotion/raise in the future." Maybe I am wrong, but overall, great company with a great mission!
Pros
Exellent management, excellent work environment, fun
Cons
Salary
Caring and professional campus with a great team spirit.
Marriage and Family Therapist Trainee/Intern (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CADecember 11, 2012
Every day begins with an organized and consistent routine. Expectations and goals are clearly stated and worked on daily. Co-workers were pleasant and eager to help with providing information and great ideas.
Pros
organized, professional, friendly, and caring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Center Schools and Programs. Our community is ready to answer.

Spectrum Center Schools and Programs Reviews by Location