Spectrum Health Systems, Inc. Employee Reviews

Terrible program
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GAJanuary 25, 2019
The job itself is not bad. Be preared to not actually counsel. You are a teacher and a case manager, nothing more.
The prison environment can be frustrating but overall is not bad, never boring.
The job turns terrible in the area of management and coworkers. People are territorial, egotistical, and down right racist. Much unethical behavior happening regarding interactions with inmates, paperwork, and a lot of under-handed behavior happening behind the scenes.
The ONLY plus to this job is helping a largely discarded population and having Friday's off.
Pros
Friday's off
Cons
Coworkers, management, unethical behavior
Very judgmental no encouragement
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, GAJanuary 22, 2019
If you have zero flaws in your life then you will get along just fine. They expect imperfection no room for anything you may have done wrong in the past because it is held against you.
Stay away from ip
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJanuary 19, 2019
Overall management could be better. They are unprofessional, rude and shady. You do not get proper training. The hours are good and PTO, but management could be better. Låck of support
Pros
free food and the clients
Cons
management
Great Place
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 17, 2019
I have been with Spectrum for about 2 years and I have had a great work experience. I am supported by my Director and feel like I can accomplish my tasks well. CEO is thoughtful!
Pros
Schedule
Cons
HealthCare cost, Pay
Wrongfully terminated
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAJanuary 14, 2019
I worked myself to the bone for the westboro location. I would run groups and play recovery based games with the clients. Provided them with cosmetics that were better than the ketchup packet sized products they provide to clients. They take 30 mins for breaks out of each shift whether you get one or not and most of the time i worked alone without a break. I stepped outside for less than 5 mins for fresh air and they fired me for neglect!! The co-worker I dealt with was lazy, rude, flipped out swearing and screaming at me, he ignored clients, forged their signature in the medication books, never did reporting or client count sheets and because I complained they fired me to avoid having to deal with him. The program is very inconsistent. The management is inexperienced, unfair, unresponsive, unprofessional, and ignorant.
The clients are treated like convicts by staff and management and its not right!
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management, unfair work place, unprofessional
Stay away from Weymouth OTP and all of the spectrum site
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJanuary 5, 2019
One of the worst place to work manegement is horrible, I used to work as a clinician was alone for about 4 months running a site not once manegement reached out to me if I was okay or if I needed anything. I was working for 50+ hours a week and only getting paid for 32 because as a clinician they tell you that you have to work 40 due to benefits but you only get paid for 32 which I never agreed with and thought it was against the law but no one had an accurate answer for that. After a while they change the system they would pay you for 40 hours but your pay rate an hour would go down do for a master level clinician you would be making around $19 an hour you are better of working as an RS somewhere else, you would be bringing home more. Manegement is just horrible and clueless and not appreciative of your hard work at all. Stay far away from this place as possible. To add on to this mess there is no training for new hire they trow u in the mix to figure things out in your own. Horrible horrible horrible all around. I stayed for almost two years because of my clients so they could have so consistency.
Pros
The clients
Cons
No training for new staff and horrible management
Productive fun place to work
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 4, 2019
Good place to work flex ability team players, good hours & excellent coworkers management .Very excellent place to work always willing to help good company to work for part time
Sufficient hours for licensure
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GADecember 14, 2018
Looking for hours great. Be prepared to deal with a lot of messy coworkers. Don't expect your bonus. Working with the prisoners was a rewarding experience. GDC can be cruel, not all.
Pros
Probationers
Cons
Staff
Run away
Clinician I (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 10, 2018
Just a terrible job. Back to back to back to back to back 20 min sessions with clients all day long, broken up by groups with stale, outdated, sometimes laughable content. Useless supervision spent reviewing paperwork compliance. Management with God-complexes. Cruel standards of practice. Super shady non-salaried “fee for service with benefits” pay structure that has you on the edge of losing health benefits every pay period. There really aren’t any redeeming qualities. Everyone is miserable and exhausted, staff and clients alike.
Pros
Cons
See above
Once the founder retired, the corporate culture went downhill
Nurse (Former Employee) –  WorcesterNovember 16, 2018
This company used to be good to work for. Once the founder retired and the new CEO started the corporate culture, especially towards nurses, went out the window. The nurses are treated poorly and not valued at all. I worked with some dedicated nurses and their commitment was never recognized. Too bad. I guess this company figures it is less expensive to hire and train new nurses than it is to retain them. Those in upper management have demonstrated time and time again that they just don't care.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Corporate is so out of touch with its employees
Terrible Management and training
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAOctober 29, 2018
Please stay away from this place. This company has one of the worst management I ever seen. No training for new employee. Really dysfunctional team where they swear at each other in open common areas. They expect perfection but lack the time to train or conduct any reviews with their employees. Communication is terrible. You have to repeat yourself to management and other employees when relaying any type of information, even if its critical to the organization.. No one ever wants to use MS email available, even thought they offer it.
Pros
Working with the clients, great way to collect clinical hours
Cons
Terrible Management, Dysfunctional. demoralize team, unprofessional
Great Company
Assistant Program Director (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MAOctober 21, 2018
Spectrum Health Systems Inc, great place to work, opportunity to growth within the company. Company respect and valued each of every employee that works there.
Hard to work as a counselor in corrections setting
Counselor (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 15, 2018
Counselors would build detainees up while corrections tore them down. Inconsistent policies. Dangerous settings as judges started ordering violent offenders to RSAT when it was supposed to be for non-violent offenses.
Pros
4 - 10 hour work days, weekends off.
Cons
Corrections setting, inconsistent policies.
No clinical supervision
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAOctober 14, 2018
Don't work here if you are in need for supervision toward your LMHC or LICSW. They will yes you to death and tell you supervision is being set up for you, and then will drag their feet and make you wait months. If you're a new grad in need of supervision hours, go ANYWHERE but here!!!
Pros
Decent PTO benefits
Cons
No clinical supervision, shady management style
Horrible management
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westborough MAOctober 10, 2018
They're so understaffed that they can't even find staff to properly train you so they basically throw you out there just to work then get mad when you screw things up you were never trained on. Its also disorganized.
Pros
cool coworkers
Cons
managment
The more work you accept, the more is expected of you
Employee (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 8, 2018
Inpatient can be rewarding when clients successfully complete detox and go on to further care.
The flip side is a poorly managed program because management is non-existent and when they’re present they knit-pick how the situation was handled and fail to provide a teaching moment for the individual who didn’t follow procedures (which caused the situation in the first place). Spectrum inpatient touts a medication assisted treatment program but places little value on the nursing staff who work day-to-day with clients and actually know what works and what doesn’t. Management will tell staff they’re valued but fail to back their words. If you value consistency, trust, support, and respect in a workplace, you won’t find it here.
Pros
Pto
Cons
No support for non-management
Unacceptable work envorment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 13, 2018
Poor management, poor or nonexistent Supervisors and terrible pay. Unacceptable treatment of clients due to low staff and high turnover rates. Save yourself the hassle and get a better employer.
Pros
Cons
Poorly run company
Huge Opportunities For Advancement
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAAugust 17, 2018
I have been an employee of Spectrum Health Systems, Inc. for almost three years. I entered in an entry level position and was quickly afforded more opportunities.

Spectrum has provided me with the training and supervision to be successful in my career. I participated in an internal program to become certified in Trauma Informed Care. Spectrum provided me with the funds and also support to go back to school and obtain my LADC which has given me the confidence to continue onward with my education.

I have been afforded the opportunity to seek out projects to advance my professional development and have been given the privilege of serving on various committees.

I would highly recommend this agency if you are searching for somewhere to learn, receive constructive/supportive feedback and to advance in your career. I look forward to many more years with Spectrum.
Pros
paid time off, benefits, tuition reimbursement, supervision, trainings, employee appreciation
Great place to work with lost of professional growth opportunuties!
OP (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 14, 2018
Been working with the agency for almost 20 years. I have been given many opportunities throughout my career here! Fortunate to work with a great team of people and the benefits are competitive.
Pros
Its all in what you make it!
Cons
Its all in what you make it!
The worst experience of my life
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAJuly 31, 2018
I have literally never worked anywhere worse than for spectrum. The management is garbage, the pay is garbage, and management loves to take responsibility and ownership for tasks that their staff to correctly. Because they don’t know how to do the jobs themselves. Horribly overworked, horribly underpaid with absolutely no recognition given to jobs well done. Don’t waste your time here. There are 1 million better agencies out there. You can’t even complain when you are harassed… No one will take you seriously. This is a corrupt agency
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Health Systems, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2