Spectrum Health Systems, Inc. Employee Reviews

The worst experience of my life
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAJuly 31, 2018
I have literally never worked anywhere worse than for spectrum. The management is garbage, the pay is garbage, and management loves to take responsibility and ownership for tasks that their staff to correctly. Because they don’t know how to do the jobs themselves. Horribly overworked, horribly underpaid with absolutely no recognition given to jobs well done. Don’t waste your time here. There are 1 million better agencies out there. You can’t even complain when you are harassed… No one will take you seriously. This is a corrupt agency
Close Knit and Welcoming
Recovery Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MAJuly 18, 2018
The staff here are so awesome and welcomed me with open arms. They work very well as a team and make it easier for the new hire to open up and be part of the team as well.
Pros
Awesome teamwork, time flexibility
Cons
Slow moving work days
My colleagues were worse than the inmates
Substance Abuse Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 4, 2018
I must admit, I wouldn't trade the experience I learned as I now know how to handle myself in a stressful environment. However, as a team, we were micromanaged to the core and at times felt degraded by the "professionals" with higher titles. Reprimanded for things that were never discussed with the team or during individual supervision. Additionally, was told who you can and can't hang out with during and outside of work or you were found guilty by association. Lastly, you are fed to the wolves when it comes to training/doing your job as there is limited support or guidance from Supervisor or Director of Female Services.
Pros
Teachable Moments
Cons
Everything else
Terrible overall.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJune 30, 2018
The worst place to work at. Management is horrible, they treat you like a kid and disrespect you as a person and get away with it. You try to report it and you get in trouble and deal with a terrible environment. You get harassed and nothing is done about it. Would not recommend working here. You take on other people’s job and don’t get paid extra for it. Not worth the pay at all, you go home stressful.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Breaks, environment, pay
Unprofessional Work Environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJune 12, 2018
This place is unprofessional and their discharge rate is very high. I question whether this place even helps people; specifically the one in Weymouth, MA. I started working there the end of May, and as time went on, staff and clients kept leaving left and right. They talk to clients like their children, and their is really no hope for them there. I wouldn't recommend anyone work for this place and i also wouldn't recommend sending people there for recovery. The staff claims to know everything and think they are better then the clients, but they are not because all of them are in recovery themselves. They need to practice what they preach.
Pros
food court at the hospital across the street
Cons
no real guidance, unprofessional management
Awful place to work
RSAT Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cochran, GAApril 11, 2018
Don’t waste your time or energy going to work for this company. Master degree pay is only 31,000 a year; they offer 2,000 additional once you get your CAC II. Three months before you get your insurance. You will not have your private space to work. The work atmosphere is awful. No personal computer and you will teach 3 hours groups each day. Caseload will be about 25. A true waste of my time. You are not a counselor; more of a case manager.
Pros
4 day work week; working with the ladies
Cons
Pay and everything else
Unobtainable clinical expectations and no work atmosphere chemistry
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GAApril 10, 2018
Management “you all have failed to complete your 30 day intake paperwork within 30 days so now you have 10 days” to try and do what was already impossible.
Ohh and “you people with masters degrees, you’re just case managers. Not counselors, don’t flatter yourself.”
Pros
Compensation for off site work trainings
Decent
Senior Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAApril 7, 2018
Was good place to learn but not as supportive or client based as I would have liked. Clients are herded through like cattle and the efforts to put forth genuine compassion get lost day to day. As business, Spectrum loses focus on the opportunity to change lives and make an impact on the the lives of not only the clients, but the families of those clients.
Stressful and underpaid
Counselor (Former Employee) –  GAMarch 13, 2018
Director is a wet noodle who has no back bone. Clinical supervisor micromanages and tries to do her job plus the directors. Expected to cover for lack of staff yet not allowed to work overtime. Staff morale was very low and cut throat.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Under paid, not appreciated, lack of leadership
Great for Supplemental Income
Substance Abuse Aftercare - Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMarch 5, 2018
I work part-time for Spectrum facilitating a few groups a week. Training, support is excellent. They insist upon a very structured lesson plan for each group, where the topic and manner taught is specified.
Pros
Decent pay per group, Education payment for required trainings, Very willing to find a substitute for time off.
Cons
Can be difficult to fit in with a FT job.
Too Much Micromanaing
Chemical Dependency Professional (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 5, 2018
DOC staff were very supportive. Direct supervisor played favorites. She allowed intern to stay on sight despite reports of intern being under the influence. If she did not like you, then you were targeted to be fired.
Rewarding
Program Facilitator - Probation/Parole Clinician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 1, 2018
My position was located in Nashville, TN within one of the TN Dept of Corrections Probation/Parole locations. Working within the corrections field comes with its own set of challenges and takes a special personality to handle the stress of it. That aside, the atmosphere in the office I worked in was one of genuine supportive teamwork. I felt at home here and appreciated camaraderie with the staff in the Probation/Parole location. My direct supervisors with Spectrum were also supportive and easy to work with/for. They do not micro manage and encourage collaboration.
Pros
Independent position, schedule is flexible, supportive atmosphere
Cons
If you are uncomfortable working with offenders, this isn't the job for you.
Over worked and under paid!!!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJanuary 4, 2018
Case Managers make $14.50, per hour. No matter the position they will not negotiate for more than 50 cents above offered hourly wage even if you have a degree.
Pros
Provides free monthly training's w/accreditation towards LADC, Licsw
Cons
Annual raises will never be more than 50 cents unless you're corporate!!!
Busy
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, MADecember 5, 2017
Was busy daily, which made the days fly by. Girls in my office were clicky. They asked me to resign due to accusations of a comment I made to another employee. No investigation was conducted, never given a chance to speak on my behalf. Very unprofessional of the company.
Pros
Time off, Pay
Cons
Clicks, managment
Unethical company/management that expects back dating and falsifying documents.
RSAT Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wrightsville, GANovember 18, 2017
Falsifying documents and back dating are expected by management. The clinical supervisor runs the residential program without any consistency. Company has very bad turn-over rate which makes the work load difficult. Company is unorganized which can be dangerous in a correctional setting. Payroll is often incorrect and claims to either over pay or underpay.
Pros
Off on Fridays
Cons
Low pay and correctional setting
The place to work if you don't want to feel valued.
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMay 8, 2017
I loved working at Spectrum for one reason and one reason only, the clients. It was fantastic to see the progress they made in their recovery. But the bad, outweighed the good. Management was extremely overbearing and enjoyed micromanaging everything. If they didn't like you, they would fire you for anything at all. I worked there for a year and saw over 25 employees come and go. I have nothing but bad things to say about Spectrum. Stay away!
Pros
Clients were great! Great PTO.
Cons
Short breaks (if you got one at all), Pay was poor, lots of DPH violations, Staff got more responsibilities and no pay increase, Micromanaging, management did not care about employees.
Good flexible job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 31, 2017
Was able to work flexible schedule to fit with my children's schedule. Working with the physicians was a great experience and I was able to learn a lot.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
parking
Some of the most amazing employees
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAMarch 15, 2017
The backbone of this company is the people who work for it. In my experiance, the folks I've come to work with in my time at Spectrum, have been a clear cut above the rest with respects to the field. These people truly care about others success.
Pros
The opportunity to witness an individuals pathway to a better life. Also, free breakfast lunch and dinner provided there is enough left over.
Cons
Management constantly changes rules and procedures.
The work is done in the operational area.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2017
I am proud to be a supportive worker at the hospital. Assisting the adjoining staff to clean patients areas and operation rooms. My work is productive and the atmosphere is wonderful to work.
Pros
income support
Cons
position has no future benifits
Growing Health System
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 19, 2017
Healthcare system continuing to grow across southwest Michigan. Additional employment and opportunities as independent hospitals are acquired. Advanced healthcare resources to rural areas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Health Systems, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3