Spectrum Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 942 reviews matching the search See all 1,004 reviews
Fast paced in need of truly caring workers
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503August 8, 2018
Like many long term care facilities, understaffing is inevitable.. The hardest part was not feeling properly informed and equipped when pulled to different floors when needed, working with patients that were unfamiliar to you. Other than that, management was a responsive as it can be in such a big company, scheduling was fairly reasonable and flexible. The majority of the employees are there for the right reasons, unfortunately there are the few that do not pull their weight and you must make up for their lack of compassion for their patients.
poor scheduling
Neurological Rehabilitation aide (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 6, 2018
POOR SCHEDULING !! was told not enough hours in my area so i had to travel 80 miles one way while there were cases in my area that people were driving 60 miles to get there as well... Lack of communication and very unprofessional management. FAVORITISM!
Pros
good Clients, good pay
Cons
struggling for hours, no communication
I wish I would've stayed, but certain personal issues prevented that
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 6, 2018
The classes offered were very helpful. People were for the most part very nice. Since I was in a float position I experienced different environments, there were definetly floors that were better than others from the staff to the layout to the cleanliness. I was surprised that two floors could be so different in the same building. It was great to gain the different experiences, but kinda overwhelming as well.
Volunteering for Spectrum Health Hospice and Pallaitive Care
Hospice Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 4, 2018
I am very proud to be working for the only hospital based hospice program in the greater Grand Rapids area and West Michigan's largest health care provider. It is very gratifying to me to provide whatever peace or comfort I can to my patients. The Volunteer Services Team/Coordinators at the Fuller Campus are committed to preserving the quality of life to patients with life-limiting illnesses. The Coordinators adhere to the Care Mission and the Spectrum Health Vision Statement and Values. It has always been my desire to ease human suffering. The hardest part of the job is the sadness I experience when my patients die. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I can solicit a smile or laughter from a patient.
Pros
Working with awesome, caring, and professional staff, Free lunch at the Cafe, Wonderful notes and cards of appreaciton form the Volunteer Coordinators, and free passes to the movies
Cons
No cons
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 1, 2018
Most of the individuals are very welcoming and make your job something to look forward to going to daily. They care more than just about getting the job done, they care about each employees well being.
Poor company culture, distant corporate overlords
STUDENT PHYSICAL THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJuly 31, 2018
This was another unfortunate case of a corporate trap: they are working their desparate employees with massive student loans to death for sentences of 10-11 years. The opportunities for career advancement are astoundingly low. Management is a mess currently. Productivity demands are way too high for low compensation.
I enjoyed waking up and going there.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, FLJuly 31, 2018
I work at prison facility and I enjoyed working for spectrum that. They trained you well and treated the employees like family. Th hardest part was leaving when the program ended. I myself felt I help alot people find a better path if they were looking for one.
Pros
excellent traing excellent people
Cons
Leaving to soon
Fast paced, good experience
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 31, 2018
Poor management!!!! I was hired in to work at another location, never went there which is fine, but I was 2 days away from signing a lease to an apartment. I was hired as a part time. Since I wasnt moved to the location I was hired for I was voluntold that I had to work 3 1st shifts then 2 3rd shifts in the same week. My day off I would get home at 8am then have to be to work at 8am the next day(my day off). Did that for 6 to 7 months. Acquired full time(yay!). Was told that once I completed that whacky schedule that I wouldnt be touched and would be strictly 1st shift. New management came up with a new position to where I would be 1st shift for 2weeks then 2nd shift for 2 weeks. Now I work at 3 locations instead of just 1/2. I have been doing this position now for about 5 months now. Now the position is 1 week of 1st shift. 2 weeks of 2nd shift. Its 1 step forward and 2,3 or maybe 4 steps back. Its a great place for experience, but for long term you'll get run into the ground. Did I say management is horrible? They promote people who are not the best for the position because they play favorites. I just show up to punch the clock and go. All the lying, holding back of information and being VOLUNTOLD what to do has made me start to/not like what I do anymore. Management will voluntell you what you can and cant do and you really have no choice but to comply or youll be out of a job. Spectrum will hire people as PRN(resource) then proceed to work you full time hours.
Pros
Fast paced, great experience
Cons
Mangagement is horrible, lower pay compared to surrounding hospitals, crazy hours, worked like a dog
Wonderful organization to work for
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, MIJuly 31, 2018
Truly blessed to work for Spectrum Health. I came to Spectrum with no experience in the medical field. They took the time to train me to be a knowledgeable patient services representative.
Ok place to work
Registered Nurse, Sub-Acute Rehab and Oncology (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 29, 2018
Co-workers are great to work with. have been trying to advance my career, but having a difficult time doing so in my current position. The patient ratio is usually around 12- 15, which makes it a very hectic setting.
too big for its own good
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 23, 2018
As is typical in many healthcare companies, employees are seen as disposable, continually moving through a revolving door. You always feel replaceable, and if you are good at your job, you will never become a manager, they promote those that cannot do in management positions, leading to poor leadership and people management, hence the constant staffing issues in all departments.
Supply Chain Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 22, 2018
Fast paced and most of the management in other dept tell you how they appreciate the hard work you do every day. Loved the team i worked with and a lot of the nurses make your day!
Fast paced environment with team oriented staff
Administrative Assistant/Document Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 22, 2018
The department I worked for was a busy place every day. Many things happening at the same time. The work culture was easy going with knowing that at the end of the day all the work was completed.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Job advancement
storeroom and inventory
Storeroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ludington, MIJuly 22, 2018
A typical work day use to be fun for me, Ive learned coworkers are mean and will do what they must to make themselves look good and to make you look bad. They've set me up to fail at my job.
Best healthcare anywhere
Director of Security Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 22, 2018
This group of amazing leaders is provides top of the line healthcare and I would recommend my family get their healthcare from any of their locations.
Review
Perfusion (Former Employee) –  ButterworthJuly 20, 2018
A great place to work. Very busy and great staff to help get through the crazy days. The surgeons are great as well as all the ancillary staff in the operating room.
EEG Technologist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 19, 2018
Workers are treated very well and paid appropriately. Training is provided and advancement is possible in any area that you work. Night shift is great!
Great place to learn but you have to want it and ask .
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 18, 2018
There to help at every turn . Good listeners , helpful. There are many meetings and mandatory meetings. Many expectations to be involved . If you work full time you feel like you live there .
Pros
Great support
Cons
To many meetings
Productive and have employees
Lab Path/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 18, 2018
I believe their policy for raises and how often they are provided aren't great. Also, I do not like there absenteeism policy, because life happens! Not to mention the way vacation time off requests have to be in months ahead of time.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
One lunch for 10 hours, but you may snack or drink in between patients.
A+ Company
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 17, 2018
A good Self-paced company, Even tho I was there under a contractor position, I loved it. nice people Amazing Leadership. would love to have stayed unfortunately that's not how contractors work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight