Spectrum Health Employee Reviews

Good Corporation with Room to Grow for RNs
Unit Secretary (Surgical/Neuro ICU) (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 18, 2018
Spectrum Health is a constantly growing non-profit healthcare system that is quickly overtaking Michigan. You can work virtually anywhere on the West side of the state (from TC down to the Indiana border) over to the middle of the state and find a SH facility.

Management is what it is at any large corporation. You have fantastic managers and you have not fantastic managers.

Jobs in the inpatient hospital world can range from 8 to 12 hour shifts, depending on the unit culture.

You earn PTO based on the hours you work, so the more hours you work the more PTO you accrue.

It's a decent culture with foibles like anywhere else in the world.
Pros
Unlimited PTO potential
Cons
Unless you have DR in your title you are screwed.
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 26, 2018
I currently work as a ES tech. We are responsible for cleaning patient rooms and keeping toilety stocked, easy job. The worst part is the constant bullying by every medical personal there. I can’t tell you how many times I was bullied and harrased just going to get lunch.

The ER doctors and office staff are some of the most toxic people I ever met. They constantly harrass, down talk and at times physically assault me. Tried to complain and file grievences but HR and managment disregarded it. My manager even threatened to fire me because I wated to talk to her boss about the issues.

Want a payraise? I worked here for 3 years and all I have gotten was .25¢ total. I make barely above min wage and was told that raises are givin to the important people (IE doctors and anyone management favors).
Pros
Dedicated hours, always 5-130
Cons
Managment plays favorites, dangerous and illegal activity
It takes Someone special
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Reed City, MIJune 7, 2018
I enjoyed working with the patients, that aspect of my position was very rewarding. You also had challenging patients, but once you broke the situation down realized they were stressed from either the cost of care or their health situation, or fear of the unknown.

I enjoyed my job duties, but not the environment in which I work.
There is little to no teamwork, poor communication or a complete lack thereof from management to staff, reliable employees are overworked until they leave, unreliable and unproductive employees seem to stay forever, basically a lot of poor management.

There are opportunities for advancement, they are hard to achieve and few and far between, but I have seen it happen.

This environment takes a special type of someone to succeed.
You have to have thick skin, and be able to ignore the passive-aggressive teenage tendencies of staff and management.
Benefits
Cons
Stress, poor compensation compared to competitors
The Best Organization in the Grand Rapids Area
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 3, 2018
Spectrum is one of the most progressive health care providers in the West Michigan area, lots of opportunities available. The culture is great always moving forward
Pros
Advancement opportunities, Great Management, Excellent Top level management
Cons
Huge Organization with mulitple challenges
cut throat
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, NCNovember 4, 2018
This was not a good employer. Outside of choosing whether or not you could/would work there were absolutely no benefits other than a reasonably higher pay. The rate of pay however, was not high enough for an employee to purchase any decent health, vision, or dental insurance. Though we had a "choice" whether to work a job if we declined we were chastised and made to feel like we were wrong to decline, even if we had a doctors note stating we couldn't work for x amount of days.
Pros
higher hourly pay rate
Cons
no advancement, no benefits, no hope for the future
Poor company culture, distant corporate overlords
STUDENT PHYSICAL THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJuly 31, 2018
This was another unfortunate case of a corporate trap: they are working their desparate employees with massive student loans to death for sentences of 10-11 years. The opportunities for career advancement are astoundingly low. Management is a mess currently. Productivity demands are way too high for low compensation.
Lowest paying hospital in west Michigan
Echo Technologist (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 20, 2018
Spectrum is one of the lowest paying hospitals in west Michigan for nursing and sonography. If you are fresh out of college you start out at $21 an hour. The echo department is a revolving door of new hires and people quitting. Management will ask for opinions but will never take any measures to change things. The advanced sonographers and lead techs are hardly any help and would rather judge you on everything you do than give you positive criticism on how to better your scan. They are also scheduled to be present and scan but only do one echo a day if that. Also if you’re working at a site that’s not busy you best believe you will be driving to the meijer heart center to help out even if it’s one or two echoes. Also sometimes you’ll get a call at 5am that you have to go to a different site because someone called off. Or one day you will work second shift until 11:30pm then have to come right back in the next day for an 8am shift. The icing on the cake though is that you get to park in a parking lot miles away from the hospital and ride the rapid to and from work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, bad work environment, poorly run
Oppurtunity for Education and skill developmnt
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIJuly 9, 2018
on a typical day , I would perform/help with daily hygiene , prepare patients for labs, Xrays, CT scans. I performed Catheterization and ostomy change. I worked with a variety of ages from infant to Elderly on the Medical/Surgical hall. The RNs on staff were very helpful in educating and assisting with patient care. I enjoyed working with a variety of age groups and cultures both as patients and Co-workers. The Hardest part of the job was working 12 hour shifts and Weekends and the most enjoyable part of my job was the rewarding feeling of assisting patients and making their stay with us as comfortable as I could, as well as sending them home in healthier condition and smiling.
Pros
Education and room for advancement
Cons
12 hour shifts and weekends
Challenging position
Brand & Creative Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 13, 2018
With the growth of the organization while I was employed there, it was incredibly challenging. I loved my position. Unfortunately, with new management, my position and three others were eliminated.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
No recognition or advancement
ES housekeeping
Environmental Services Tech (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 3, 2018
I work in the ES department for 3 years. They will add loads of work on you if anyone calls in and will want you to still get your job done plus others. Management doesn't really help and will sit in the office with the door closed most of the time. If you are a cleaner don't expect the higher up staff to treat you with any sort of respect or even talk to you. If you are cleaning offices be ready to get rude notes that the office staff will leave you. You also have to clean up the offices staff eatting area which is always trashed with the free food that they receive. Also, dont think that you can have any of the food because they will have a fit. You are only there to clean up after the adult staff that eats like toddlers. HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK.
Pros
Non
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZ 86326September 14, 2018
This is a great place to work. Training could be better in unfamiliar setting as a beginner. Forgiveness of learning could be better. My supervisor missed her former employee. I was new at data entry. I would have liked the data entry processes explained more logically so I could rap my mind around it better.

I have a nursing background and processes are important to understand concepts of why things are done. I did ask for some explanation on how processes worked but to no avail. I believe my coworker being in the business for over 20 years needed someone like her last employee that knew the business. She missed her and it reflected upon me in my opinion.

However staff are friendly and willing to help outside the department. Overall it is a good company.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, good benefits. HR is wonderful. IT is really helpful.
Cons
Better training programs
Fast paced environment with team oriented staff
Administrative Assistant/Document Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 22, 2018
The department I worked for was a busy place every day. Many things happening at the same time. The work culture was easy going with knowing that at the end of the day all the work was completed.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Job advancement
Fast moving, newest equipment
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 21, 2018
Good, fast paced work environment. All the latest convienences and equipment. Family friendly for visitors. Many caring hard working employees. Clean and safe environment with good benefits.
Pros
Fast paced work environment
Cons
Very competitive
Flexible with alternate schedules
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 11, 2018
Working at Spectrum health has had many benefits. I continue to keep employment due to seeing me seniority for advancement if needed, and to work with my travel schedule for contacting work.
Great people and culture to work for
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 6, 2018
I love working for Spectrum Health. Guests and staff are friendly and easy to get along with. Different roles are collaborative and respectful of each other. Within my role, there is not a lot of room for advancement and day to day operations can be stagnant depending on the department.
Pros
Excellent Staff, Excellent Culture
Cons
Stagnant
Good organization to work for overall, poor department environment
Medical assistant/ PSR (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 15, 2018
Checking patient's in and checking them out for their appointment,
taking notes from patients by phone.
I learned how to multitask and make sure that every detail is important when assisting patients.
Management is fair and was able to handle a situation/ conflict efficiently.
The hardest part was learning to ' bite your tongue" when taking a difficult phone call from a patient.
The most enjoyable part was seeing how many patients we saved. The progress from where they started to where they were after their lung or heart surgery.
Pros
Was able to keep busy
Cons
clique work environment, hard to accept new employees. Physicians were very particular of who belonged on their team.
no work/life balance

Hard to get time off

Management top heavy

no flexibility

Stressful work environment

No respect for what we do
I love my job
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, MIJune 6, 2018
Spectrum Health United is a great place to work. I loved the people I worked with. I also loved the ability to advance positions. Unfortunately in recent times the overturn is high forcing experienced employees to work extremely short. Not all management work hard to fill empty holes, which caused stress within the team. Training new employees isn't the best it can be.
Pros
great experience to learn about medical field.
Cons
short staffed
Caring employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, MISeptember 13, 2018
Co-workers cared for each other. Benefits were good, education reimbursement was a nice. Encouraging others to build on their education was supported by management.
Productive and have employees
Lab Path/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 18, 2018
I believe their policy for raises and how often they are provided aren't great. Also, I do not like there absenteeism policy, because life happens! Not to mention the way vacation time off requests have to be in months ahead of time.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
One lunch for 10 hours, but you may snack or drink in between patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight