Spectrum Health

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Strongly depends on your department

Culture seriously depends on where you are at in the company. There are some great areas and some not so great areas. There is opportunity to move up in some areas but some are not as open, you need to take initiative.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Hard to advance

Great place to work! Nice people and great benefits. Their are many chances for advancement. Newly remodeled teaching hospital. There is a lot to learn

ER challenging

Security in a Emergency Room setting can be very challenging and exciting. Spectrum does a excellent job of training and equipping their officers to do a often difficult job.

Pros

Great pay, employee benefits.

Cons

Clients can be demanding.

Its Who you Know, Not what you know if you want to advance.

You can have all the skills and knowledge, but you need to know people to move or work them in a prior life. They get rid of people with years of knowledge and pile on the work if you do a good job, but don't promote you. Will only offer you lateral moves.

Benefits

Cons

Non-competitive pay for the quantity of work.

Watch Your Back

They are always looking for ways to get rid of staff, especially staff who are making the most money. Always trying to get rid of staff who have dedicated their life to the company for lower paying staff. Management doesn't care about their staff at all! Very toxic environment to work for.

Pros

Cons

Toxic Environment! Management does care about their staff!

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Good company to work for

Spectrum is a good company to work for. The company is huge so there are many opportunities for advancement or lateral moves to different departments.

Management is horrible

My manager was horrible. Poor communication, disorganized, I felt like just another number. Made me feel as if I didn’t matter and that I could easily be replaced.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Poor management, poor communication, mediocre benefits.

To many promises that is not kept

To many promises that is not kept. There is a lot of favoritism to friends and family. There is a lot of stress. They start people out making more than someone that has been there for more than 5 years.

Fun place

Fun place to work but the management was not the best. They pay you minimum wage unless you’re a trainer or a salesperson. Staff are all nice. It was Texas so there was one guy who did not speak to me. But for the most part everyone were nice and jovial. It was fun interacting with the staff, especially when The Monster Drink guy came by in his big truck, and dropped off the cans. Staff told us when we got there that he had been there, and to run in the back to get one.

Pros

Free lunches during meetings

Cons

Minimum wage

Culture of negativity

The management has an attitude of a big corporation and do not seem to care about individual employees. The scheduling is typically not flexibile. Working as a nursing technician for Spectrum devastated my passion for nursing and my mental health.

They choose younger staff over experience

They hire none certified interpreters because is cheaper and lay off experienced Interpreters over younger ones without certification and or experience

I do not trust this company.

The work is easy-ish depending on what clinic you work in, and some clinics are stressful or have demanding POC's (point of contact). There is no proper orientation for nursing roles, and you are expected to know what to do, which is stressful as a newbie. For example, you have two tries to pass open book monthly quizzes with 100%, with a written warning on the 3rd and termination on the 4th. The quiz wording is tricky, which slips up a lot of people. In addition, communication is fragmented between agencies, with everyone in upper management passing the buck with the nurse as the middle man. Finally, you are not allowed to take any time off unless you have PTO, and you are given 40 hours the first year you have to use before your anniversary date. The pay is lower than other agencies, and there are no yearly raises. Had I known this, I would have gone with another agency. If you have a good Area Nurse Manager who can help you through, the position is a little tolerable. The challenge is having a good one. Another thing, if you leave before a year, they say you owe them $25,000. The reason is the public trust clearance you have to obtain.

Pros

The hours for me and my coworkers.

Cons

Pay, training, leadership, no raises, inability to take time off without pay.

Hard work, stressful, and rewarding

Working here is great, patients and employees are great. However, it can be stressful at times. Admissions can be overwhelming. Overall pretty good place to work, just do your work and leave. Don’t get invested with the drama of staff.

Its okay

Spectrum is a decent company to work for, the benefits is good and the pay has gotten better over the last couple of years. Since covid it has become abundantly clear that patient care isn't as big of a deal to them as they claim, and you can be overworked sometimes

Benefits

Cons

Covid, overworked

Too big company with great benefits

The company has great benefits and competitive pay. However, they have gotten so big that you are just a number and they will terminate your employment on the first offense no matter your job history, work ethic, and what you have to say regarding any matter.

Pros

Benefits, competitive pay

Cons

Corporation where you are treated as a number

Just another caregiving company

The best thing about this company is the pay, it's not too bad compared to a lot of other Arizona companies. Management is unprofessional and inexperienced. Oftentimes these companies just want warm bodies to sleep on camera in their group homes. This is so they do not have to report that they are out of ratio, they will pretty much hire anyone with a clean background and little common sense. Overall, I would not work here again or leave my loved ones here.

Pros

at least 15 an hour

Cons

you may be forced to work with someone you're uncomfortable with, lazy staff, lazy management, lazy nurses

short staffed

Pay is not comparable to other hospitals in the area. The company is also very short staffed nurses, partially due to not paying enough so many are leaving for travel nursing and coming back to the company as a travel nurse to get more money.

Great management

My manager has been one of the best managers I’ve ever had in working 2nd shift. He’s helpful, caring, and supportive when I need it. The pay is also great, I’ve gotten two raises since working here for our hard work during this pandemic.

Pros

Great management, great Pay

Cons

Not a friendly work environment

Find a better place

You are not appreciated for the work you do. Upper management has no idea of what goes on. The pay is lousy and raises are minimal. A lot of the time you don't get a lunch break and no breaks.

Pros

Cons

No lunches or breaks

Supply Chain Management is Terrible

Executive and management is awful, always have another agenda, not transparent at all, warehouse is a disaster and awful processes. Too many people with no experience outside of spectrum health, so have no idea on supply chain ideals.

Pros

benefits okay

Cons

Always chaos

Cleaning,Cleaning,Cleaning.

Don't come here unless you need money. Cleaning job not bad, pay is something worth discussing but i I've pay check to pay check with them. Management is everywhere. If looking for promotions you want exactly get that here unless someone quits or retires. Short staffed.

Pros

Growth Opportunities Possible

Cons

Not really worth pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight