Spectrum Human Services Management reviews

Dump
Health Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 10, 2018
The management doesn't care about you or work related concerns. The company and departments are nothing more than a clique. If the clique feels that you don't fit in, forget it. You have to be a puppet, group think.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Starts great ends mediocre
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 7, 2018
Was a great company till CEO and supporting staff changed. When I first started @ Spectrum it was all about the staff, and the turn over was incredibly low. By the end of my time there it was all about the money and growing the company far to quickly. Employee turn over became crazy, constantly new staff and old staff leaving for other jobs outside of the company.
You’ve got to be kidding
Central Intake Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 17, 2018
Coworkers? Great. Work/life balance? Decent. Opportunities for advancement? Awful. Management? Terrible.

This company will drain extra work out of you all the time and will refuse to compensate you fairly for it or give you opportunities for advancement. There are even times when you will have to train someone who is in a higher position than you. They will work you to the bone and become upset at the smallest things. They continuously complain that they do not have enough staff to meet client demand, but they do not respect their employees at all. They hire from the outside way too much and do not give their employees opportunities to advance within the company.
Stay away. Stay very far away.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pay, management, no advancement
Friendly
Program Manager/Chemical Dependency Clinician (Current Employee) –  Orchard Park, NY, West Seneca, NY, Warsaw, NYDecember 18, 2017
Too busy. Not enough time in the day. Management tries to support employees, but it is too hard because there is too much going on. Everybody drowns. It is not fair.
Pros
Decent benefits/good experience
Cons
Too busy
Working with Youth: Great; Staff/Management not So Great
Youth Resident Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Westland, MINovember 16, 2017
Spectrum's community for mothering teens and their babies was located at a home and was pretty much a relaxed environment. During the daily flow of school, appointments, etc., things couldn't have flowed more smoothly on my shift, as I had a good rapport with the residents that came in and out of Spectrum. I enjoyed the girls and their babies and I pray that I made at least one good, lasting, impression on at least one youth.
Management, however, is unprofessional, to say the least. Although the job is fairly easy, their have been some major, unprofessional and dangerous mishaps on part of staff members that have been allowed to stay because of their familial ties within the company.
There have been blatant attempts to sabotage career advancement by people in management, despite their encouragement to your face. It is not a good career place, in my opinion, however, if you're passionate about working with and helping at-risk youth, then this is a good place to start trying to change some (young) minds.
Pros
clients
Cons
staff/management
Worst career move
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2017
Worked at 1280 main for several years. No room for growth. All about the money and numbers. The management will turn around and throw you under the bus, not even thinking twice. Parking for 20 people and had triple that in staff. Program director had favorites and promoted those only. Super disorganized and put too many people in offices. There was no concern for staff safety. A client brought a gun into the facility, pointing it at a staff member and NOTHING was done. Another client took a hammer to the front office window. Guess what happened- NOTHING! If you value your safety and morals, stay away.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Safety was a joke, parking, pay
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIApril 30, 2017
Working Spectrum has given me many new skills but it is hard to be promote within the company. The clients I work with are easy to handle but when the client is provoke they become unruly and very aggressive. I have been trained in conflict resolution and anger management strategies.
ok place to work
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, NYNovember 29, 2016
concerns not taken seriously
lack of communication
work tasks not delegated evenly
employee info not kept confidential between supervisors and other employees
Hard work that paid off
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  DetrotiJune 28, 2016
A job where the most benefit came from seeing our clients develop, mature before our eyes and become productive members of society
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Being forced to stay over, management turnover
its a good place to work.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 28, 2015
Great place to work but management needs to be better. Pay needs to be more. not my favorite place to work. I don't really like it. management needs to be organized.
Every day i work there was an unpredictable day.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIJune 19, 2015
I learned new human behaviors daily.
The management work well according to the children regulations and laws and ensured they were carried out accordingly.
Pros
All the Staff were well manored
Cons
unpredictable behavors
No chance for advancement and personal life goes out the window
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 2, 2014
This is a job that proves that social work is a thankless job. The pay is horrible and you can never expect to receive a raise or bonus. They even made pay cuts a couple of years ago and instead of giving the employees that increase they promised back, they installed a gym that is only in the central location and only open during business hours.

Expect to give up your personal life for this job. Your phone (which is your personal cell phone and you're only given $10/month as reimbursement for) will ring all day and all night all 7 days a week and you are expected to give up everything to work for peanuts and no respect. You never know what a typical day will consist of. You may be screamed at in front of clients by upper management. You may be dealing with attacks by clients and left alone to deal with it with no back up. You may be belittled in front of a room of co-workers by supervisors.

There are plenty of people you meet that are great, but they do not last long at this agency due to management chasing them away.
Pros
Clients are well taken care of.
Cons
Horrible pay, poor chance for advancement, poor managemetn
flexibility
Assistant Clinical Counselor/LPN (Current Employee) –  all locations in western new yorkDecember 2, 2013
Spectrum is a stepping stone for a focus in the future. There is a great deal of flexability working at spectrum along with strict management which makes working for spectrum great for it's organized.
Pros
flexability
Cons
no help with advancement
Being flexiable when needed
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 22, 2013
As with any job, having the pleasure to work with certain co-workers is the only reason why I enjoyed doing my job. I learned that the term, is not "what' you know, its "who" you know, when it came to this job. The hardest part of this job is management decision when bring new residents that need special attention.
Pros
Employment
Cons
No stability with scheduling
Fun, entertaining, games with kids, gym activities.
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIJuly 10, 2013
Work midnights and monitor kids while they are sleeping. Make fifteen minute rounds. Clean control room and complete point sheets. Complete laundry and pass out bins. May sometimes work day shift if mandated. May take kids to breakfast and lunch. Monitor kids in classroom. Do social activities with kids such as play chess, checkers, cards, and watch videos. Complete therapy or counseling sessions and redirect negative social behavior. Management is often times very supportive and good. Co-workers are cooperative and team players. Hardest part of job is sometimes getting mandated to work overtime after working a midnight shift. This may require working sixteen hours. Additionally, you may encounter unruly or disruptive behavior at times throughout the day after already working a long, difficult shift. Most enjoyable part of job, however, is showing delinquent youth what it is like to be a positive male role model and getting along well with challenging,difficult delinquent youth. Also,teaching them positive social behavior and trying to get them to understand negative thinking errors through counseling or peer group assistance.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch
Cons
Mandations and possible physical managements
Non Profit agency assiting individuals with physical and emotional life challenges
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMay 5, 2013
A typical day would consist of running background checks, scheduling and conducting new hire orientation, HRIS entry, processing leave of absences and worker injuries, authorizing drug tests and fingerprinting, responding to unemployment claims, administor new benefit enrollees and/or resolve conflicts.
Pros
Gained extensive experience in Generalist responsabilities
Cons
I miss the organizational focus of record management
Watching family's get the help they needed
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westland, MINovember 2, 2012
A typical day at work was typing reports for CTW's. I learned that every family is different and require different needs from social workers. The management there was good and the co-workers were even better. The hardest part of my job was seeing the challenges the family's went through. The most enjoyable was staff participation.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
seeing how families stuggle
Poorly managed company
Director of Accounting Services (Former Employee) –  Westland, MI 48185August 30, 2012
Upper management refuses to grasp the current state of the business and is slow to react. Also, management has an unrealistic view of causes of challenges to the business. Management's employment of family members is overwhelming. Founding presidents's policies are long forgotten.
For a mental health agency, they have no empathy for people who are grieving at all.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  TonawandaJuly 3, 2012
This would be a wonderful agency to work for if it weren't for their misconceptions in the hiring and promoting process. I worked for a child who was promoted to office manaager. She had absolutely no idea about adjustment situations for the clients or staff. Her immaturity and lack of understanding of the many situations in life severely compromized the environment.

To top it all off, they then hired a manager over her who didn't have the ability to be a manager. There was no communication or care from this individual at all.

For being a mental health clinic, I give them thumbs down. They should have understood that I came back to work because I thought I was needed never thinking I would be reprimanded for not noticing a client come in and sit in the corner where I could not see him. Power, not empathy, went to this little girl's head.

I would not recommend this company. They are cheap and irresponsible in their hiring process.