Spectrum Retirement Communities Employee Reviews

Featured review
Spectrum Retirement Communities selected this as a representative review
Great Benefits, Great management. Great Work/Life Balance
COOK (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 8, 2019
After working corporate kitchens for so many years it was great to enjoy an ever changing and flexible menu catering to the Residents. Had to relocate too soon.
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Benefits, Good Shift hours.
Cons
N/a
Horrible
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHMarch 22, 2019
Very high turn around. Each Dept. has its own director, dining, housekeeping etc .. They all play favorites. They very obviously act "better than you". They seem to make the rules up as they come by, and of course always in their favor. Call offs happen nearly everyday, they can't seem to keep staff in all depts. 3rd shift resident aids sleep and ignore residents. Nurses act like it's a big bother when residents ask to speak with them. The kitchen/dining is constant chaos. Housekeepers walk around on their phones all time. Front desk is a disaster and EVERYTHING falls on the people working the desk. Business office manager is lazy and puts a lot of their work on the desk person. No organization. You constantly get calls to come in on your days off. Honestly you'd do better working in a fast food drive thru. Pay is NOT worth the amount of work and responsibilities.
Pros
Free bad food
Cons
Everything else.
Loving residents
Server (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 17, 2019
Management sucked, kitchen manager did not care about residents opinions. Was almost always short handed, ran out of meals sometimes. Had to leave couldn’t take it anymore.
Pros
Free lunch
Poor Management Very Stressful Job
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILMarch 12, 2019
Management is Very poor, doesn’t care about our residents or us RA’s . A lot of tension and people
talking about one another . Management plays favoritism towards others to get information from other crew workers . Memory care residents pay the most to live there but get treated poorly by the diertery and also by the management. We tell them a concern and nothing gets resolved . Talking about others behind everyone’s back . I loved working there because of the residents . But I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone ! Very sad how they treated us , had so many problems and nothing got done. They say they understand and care but it goes through one ear and out the other . I hope it changes for the residents because they are incredible . I understand it’s a business but you can still be about the money and care as well. Never came to the memory care floor on their own only when there was an event going on or tour . I advice the CEO too formally talk to each co-worker or have everyone write an anonymous letter.
Pros
The residents and free food
Cons
Everything I wrote above
Spectrum Retirement
Server/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 12, 2019
Spectrum is a great company too work its a great environment My typical day at work was relaxing sometimes challenging and what I learned was that everything needs to be perfect for the residents. The most enjoyable part of the job was making friendships with the residents. I really do miss the residents
Pros
Great enviroment and free lunches
Cons
Nothing it was amazing
terrible place to work
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILFebruary 26, 2019
poor management, employees are treated poorly and disrespectful, most of the time blamed for everything, always short staffed, the housekeeping does very poor job, and residents are not take care of the way they deserve..
Pros
Cons
many
Eye opening experience in elder care
Concierge/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 27, 2019
Management was very poor and inexperienced. Sadly the residents were the ones to pay the biggest price for this poorly run facility:/ There were a number of very competent workers, but many quit due to poor managers
Pros
Residents
Residents are great
Server (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJanuary 23, 2019
The job itself is a pain (but you know, it's work). Environment is dull and a bit stressful. But talking with the residents is always a great way to improve your day; they're great people.
Pros
good breaks, fun coworkers / cutomers
Cons
Long hours / overtime, poor management
Horrible chef
Cook (Former Employee) –  Enclave at AnthemJanuary 4, 2019
The chef was in his 1st directors role and everything had to be done to his standards, no exceptions. Even if the residents wanted it different he would say no. Was promised a leadership role that never materialized, held all cooks to a different standard,and would cut hours without notice stating “full time employees get full time hours, part time get part time hours.” Couldn’t maintain a budget and blamed me for it.
Pros
Interaction with the residents
Cons
Everything I listed below
Frequent ED Changes
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 15, 2018
management of inside and outside sales teams setting monthly goals and daily followup towards achievement. Daily am meetings with pipeline of happenings. Lease preparation and signing. Daily census reports with forecasting for the month and quarter. Interaction with residents daily and their families, giving tours, communicating to local case managers of vacancies upcoming. intake calls, customer service, daily dining room rounds, apartment readiness, interaction with maintenance team to assure move in ready units. Set up of model unit. Hardest part of the job was the frequent turn over in the ED position
Pros
great benefits and residents
Cons
ED turnover
Not a place i'd recommend
RC Programing Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 12, 2018
Turn over throughout the building is very high, training consist of watching videos you are encouraged to skip through, and moral is very low. The rules are flexible for certain people, while others are written up for being overworked and not having enough time to get all job duties done.
Pros
free lunch, Pto, holiday pay
Cons
very negative work envorment
nice people
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Parker, CO 80134December 9, 2018
I enjoyed working here because at the time I was paid over minimum wage and serving was a fun job. The one thing I didn't enjoy was the time if we had accidentally dropped a glass, it would come out of our paycheck.
loved our community
A little bit of everything (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILDecember 4, 2018
Great ED, Front desk staff are wonderful. The activity department is great, as well as the servers in dietary. There is true team sprit among most of the staff here.
Pros
Great in house benefits
Cons
Challenging situations when residents decline and have to move.
Home like atmosphere with comprehensive t training.
Concierge/Receptionist PT (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHNovember 19, 2018
Working evening and weekend hours are not as busy as day time hours.
Lots of computer based training teaching information on what to expect with the elderly and what to look out for, related to depression and dementia.
Management has an open door policy and ready to pitch in to help at all times.
All employees work hard to meet the needs of residents.
Hardest part is learning all that may occur and how to handle.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all the employees and residents.
It is one star for a reason
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Park MeadowsOctober 22, 2018
The ED is one of the most unprofessional people I have ever worked with. She talks bad about the staff to other staff members, she is rude and ignores residents, and she does not care about anyone but herself. Not everyone with spectrum is as unkind and selfish as she is, but unfortunately for them, especially The VPO, who oversees Park Meadows, you are the company you keep. It is a reflexion on not only herself, but also the rest of upper management as well that they choose to keep someone like this running one of their buildings. Corporate has been notified of the issues with this building and has done nothing to change anything.
Pros
What pros?
Cons
Did you read the review?
Official response from Spectrum Retirement Communities
October 31, 2018

vThank you for letting us know about your employment experience. Here at Spectrum Retirement Communities, we strive for excellence, and to adhere to our Core Values every day. Our goal is to support all team members at both our communities and within our Home Office. It is important for us to understand the specifics of your experience – if you are open to discussing and substantiating your concerns in more detail please call our Home Office at 303-360-8812 and ask for the Vice President of Human Resources.

Great in team work and productive
DISHWASHER (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 21, 2018
I worked in Palmilla as a part time employee. The other employees are friendly and approachable. It is a quick paced job but you can rest in some certain times.
Pros
Free lunches
I don’t know
Server (Current Employee) –  Parker, COOctober 10, 2018
I don’t have much to say other than the residents are amazing people. And some workers are recognized for their hard work, and some workers are favorited.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poorly made food, not enough employees, favoritism
Great work place
LEAD CHEF (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXOctober 10, 2018
I started my day by unloading the days orders and placing the order for the following day. one that was finished I prepared all meals and managed the serving staff while meals were served. At the end of the day I clean the facilities pulled anything that was needed for the next day and wrote the menu if needed.
Maintenance Director / Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHOctober 7, 2018
It is a good company, not much room for advancement. Management treats you fairly. would recommend for a person to star there career here. the residents are great.
get drinks and popcorn all day long
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZOctober 4, 2018
very friendly, residents were great,team work was good, I wish workers spoke english, that was hard on everyday basis no communition. overall it was a good place to work, not stressful
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
All it takes is one bad apple
Director of Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cary, ILOctober 2, 2018
Residents and majority of staff at the three oaks location are an absolute blast to work with. As for the managers you have a director of fun who busts her butt to constantly give the residents and staff amazing activities to attend. Another solid heavy hitter would be the current director of nursing, she just gets stuff done. However the rest of the management team are just yes people for a poor excuse for an ED. This ED talks a big game and always tries to present herself as some super relaxed laid back trusting leader when in fact she will go out of her way to micromanage every aspect of your job and usually will follow it up with some sort of snide unprofessional remark. I've dealt with my fair share of incompetent leaders before so my best advice to anyone coming into that role would be just work your standard day, don't go crazy killing yourself working extra hours and just know you are working for someone who really shouldn't be in that position. Support from corporate was great and the majority of the other maintenance directors are quite good folks.
Pros
Free lunches I guess, the residents
Cons
The ED

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Retirement Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight