Spee Dee Delivery Service Inc. Employee Reviews

SpeeDee becomes a Lifestyle
CDL Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  IowaAugust 27, 2018
You start on a probation after 3 months they start your benefit package. After 9 months you can collect quarterly profit sharing checks. Becoming a group leader moves you into salary. If you already have a CDL it allows you to do the LTL and overnight runs and a small bump in pay. The management isnt horrible to work with but they have very little in dealing with conflicts. Much of the time you are doing the work of 3 people due to being short staffed. Raises only come at certain types of the year, hourly is april and october, salary in february. Hourly only recieves 50 cents each time. Salary is 40 dollars a week, 80 a pay period. The vehicles are broken most of the time, when they get sent for repairs they come back with the same issues or new ones.
Pros
Overtime, benefits, home everyday
Cons
Short staffed, low pay, push into management
Stressful and very time consuming
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 26, 2018
Worked 12 hour days every day, no lunch breaks. Extremely fast paced environment, poor leadership. Quotas are the only thing that matters to management.
Pros
Working individually
Cons
No lunch breaks, time off requests can be denied
very fast paced and hard working
Unloader/Loader (Former Employee) –  Marion, IAAugust 8, 2018
it is a good job if you like to work hard and not work alot of hours but it is not a job that you can make a living off of if you are living by your self.
Pros
there is some done time between trucks
Cons
not enough hours per week
Hard work
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNAugust 1, 2018
I didn’t enjoy my time at spee-dee I definitely felt used the entire time I was there and was always doing the job of 2-3 people because of how short staffed they were. The pay is horribly low which is why I ultimately left most of the people in the warehouse make around minimum wage and drivers made a couple dollars over minimum. Not a great company and it shows.
Fun workplace
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 3, 2018
It was a nice place to work. I really enjoyed the people who I worked with. It really showed me how the postal services work and how it’s not just delivering packages.
Good job
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 11, 2018
If they could split some of these long routes up,and make a time limit on some shippers so that cant hold you. That would make the job 1000% times better. But overall i love my job.
Pros
Good overtime
Cons
No ac in the vans
Lowest pay/no pto
Office Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 14, 2018
SpeeDee pays the lowest pay for office work in the St Cloud area by far. $8.50 to $9.00 hr with a college degree for full time with no vacation or sick time for a year. Then only one week PTO after one year. 5 paid holidays if you are lucky. No floating holidays. If their drivers used computers (like most do in the 21st century) you could omit this position and all paperwork indefinitely (& save trees, their waste is unbelieveable). Switch to computer manifests for drivers!! You can work at McDonalds for $15 hr. Such a sad place.
Pros
Cons
Hourly Pay, Pto, holiday pay, sick pay, benefits
I wouldn’t recommend my dog to work here.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAMay 12, 2018
Fast pace and you will put on 3 to 500 miles on in a day . Very poor management they need more drivers for there routes. To wide spread route locations and how they make delivery’s to post officeses some you will never make because they close when you make it into some towns ,than they get mad at you because you can’t make the delivery,management tells you to miss the other towns to make it to the others than they get mad.Very poor management don’t pay enough for the BS you have to put up with , no radio no ac in vans wtf . Like the job miserable !
Pros
By your self no boss hanging over you.
Cons
Long days long miles management sucks !
Hard work, good job.
Rout Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNApril 11, 2018
I’ve worked at Spee Dee a little over a year and found it to be a very positive experience. You’ll get out of it what you put into it. Driving is hard work and labor intensive but it’s like getting paid to exercise. Pay is good for the area with two raises per year and profit sharing. The hours are long but Spee Dee takes care of its staff. Overall this is a good job.
Pros
Work by yourself
Cons
Lack of technology
Great job for a student
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 20, 2018
Good environment for student workers. Very flexible hours. Laid back culture. Good pay for part time. I learned that at work there are going to be times you cannot depend on others. The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere and interaction between managers and employees.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Split shift
Fast paced delivery service
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WIOctober 31, 2017
We would load our own trucks and plan out a most efficient route to deliver packages. Equal amounts to businesses and residential, no matter the weather. The weather was the most difficult, winter weather at our busiest time, Christmas was stressful. We put in maximum hours for the two weeks before the holiday. I really enjoyed the business customers we stopped at everyday for the most part. Many actually frequented my restaurant I bought after leaving Spee Dee. Owner and managers were always very supportive and straight with employees.
Pros
Pay scale
Cut Throat business
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 16, 2017
Run you ragged. Management wasn't helpful. Worked there in 2005. Tried to go back in recent times to see if they changed. Never got a call. My girlfriend applied several times for delivery driver she got the run around. Seems like the don't want to hire women.
Pros
Independent
Cons
Low pay bad management
Can be fast paced but relaxed at the same time. It depends on the individual.
CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 3, 2017
If you are self motivated this is the place for you. 90% of your day you are on your own. Over time after 40 hours holiday pay and vacation. All hourly employees are home daily. Company promotes from within and in some locations moving up is surely an option. The work can be hard at times.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Can get busy at times
Productive and fun work place.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAOctober 2, 2017
Great hours, work at your own pace and nobody breathing down your back. Good benefits and good people. Managers are very helpful and understanding of daily life.
Pros
Work on your own.
Cons
Could have better vacation policy.
Dont even waste your time and effort
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2017
They are always looking for new employees. Management choices not to look at what they are doing wrong. REFUSE to listen to the drivers on how things can be much more productive, there is no win win team here.
it was ok for a first job
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Sugar Grove, ILAugust 31, 2017
we loaded and unloaded truck with a convener that some times worked and sometime didn't my immediate boss was alright they let us listen to music in the morning
Pros
we got a raise ever six months
Cons
lots of stress mostly from the people
Stay away
Ex driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 28, 2017
They do not tell you the truth an do not care about you period.they attitude is your just a driver!drivers move on so then they pile more on you so others quit you guessed it you get more.then you get all this and management will just hang out in the terminal . The salesmen I will call big n is so lazy it's terrible STAYAWAY drive for FEdEx. Spee Dee hr will turn on you beware
Pros
Customers and other drivers good
Cons
Management only care about themselves period very dishonest!
excellent job security, decent place to work
Fleet Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MN 56302August 11, 2017
Working on these vehicles can be a challenge sometimes, but it is fun. Everyday can bring something new, whether its diagnosing a problem issue or repairing/replacing something you've never done before.
Pros
ability to use shop for personal projects
Cons
pay is low
People who act like they care but don't
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 9, 2017
Do not work here, it starts off nice but quickly shifts to a horrendous experience.
Management is there but not there to help
Long work days, everyday (because of pickups)
Anytime you get in an accident you have a day off with no pay and a drug screening.
They specific gut the cargo vans so there is no car lighter, no air conditioning and you have to pay for your uniform if you want shorts, the uniform also includes wearing SPEE DEE socks, so you'll also have to buy those.
They will also change your route once you start so that you have more area to cover
Some days you won't start on your route till after 9 am because of company delays (this is not good. These delays make your day terribly hectic and overwhelming.
I have zero good things to say about this company.
The upper management is a bunch of smug jerks that seem like robots from another planet.
Pros
Your by yourself all day
Cons
No air conditioning, little communication (unless you do something wrong), salary increases are hard to get.
Shipping
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Marion, IAJuly 13, 2017
I loaded and unloaded trucks. When unloading the trucks you would have to sort them to be put on the correct truck for delivery the next day. It was quick paced but it was a fun atmosphere to work in

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spee Dee Delivery Service Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.