Spee Dee Delivery Service Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 3, 2018
It was a nice place to work. I really enjoyed the people who I worked with. It really showed me how the postal services work and how it’s not just delivering packages.
Lowest pay/no pto
Office Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 14, 2018
SpeeDee pays the lowest pay for office work in the St Cloud area by far. $8.50 to $9.00 hr with a college degree for full time with no vacation or sick time for a year. Then only one week PTO after one year. 5 paid holidays if you are lucky. No floating holidays. If their drivers used computers (like most do in the 21st century) you could omit this position and all paperwork indefinitely (& save trees, their waste is unbelieveable). Switch to computer manifests for drivers!! You can work at McDonalds for $15 hr. Such a sad place.
Pros
Cons
Hourly Pay, Pto, holiday pay, sick pay, benefits
I wouldn’t recommend my dog to work here.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAMay 12, 2018
Fast pace and you will put on 3 to 500 miles on in a day . Very poor management they need more drivers for there routes. To wide spread route locations and how they make delivery’s to post officeses some you will never make because they close when you make it into some towns ,than they get mad at you because you can’t make the delivery,management tells you to miss the other towns to make it to the others than they get mad.Very poor management don’t pay enough for the BS you have to put up with , no radio no ac in vans wtf . Like the job miserable !
Pros
By your self no boss hanging over you.
Cons
Long days long miles management sucks !
Hard work, good job.
Rout Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNApril 11, 2018
I’ve worked at Spee Dee a little over a year and found it to be a very positive experience. You’ll get out of it what you put into it. Driving is hard work and labor intensive but it’s like getting paid to exercise. Pay is good for the area with two raises per year and profit sharing. The hours are long but Spee Dee takes care of its staff. Overall this is a good job.
Pros
Work by yourself
Cons
Lack of technology
Great job for a student
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 20, 2018
Good environment for student workers. Very flexible hours. Laid back culture. Good pay for part time. I learned that at work there are going to be times you cannot depend on others. The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere and interaction between managers and employees.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Split shift
Fast paced delivery service
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WIOctober 31, 2017
We would load our own trucks and plan out a most efficient route to deliver packages. Equal amounts to businesses and residential, no matter the weather. The weather was the most difficult, winter weather at our busiest time, Christmas was stressful. We put in maximum hours for the two weeks before the holiday. I really enjoyed the business customers we stopped at everyday for the most part. Many actually frequented my restaurant I bought after leaving Spee Dee. Owner and managers were always very supportive and straight with employees.
Pros
Pay scale
Cut Throat business
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 16, 2017
Run you ragged. Management wasn't helpful. Worked there in 2005. Tried to go back in recent times to see if they changed. Never got a call. My girlfriend applied several times for delivery driver she got the run around. Seems like the don't want to hire women.
Pros
Independent
Cons
Low pay bad management
Can be fast paced but relaxed at the same time. It depends on the individual.
CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 3, 2017
If you are self motivated this is the place for you. 90% of your day you are on your own. Over time after 40 hours holiday pay and vacation. All hourly employees are home daily. Company promotes from within and in some locations moving up is surely an option. The work can be hard at times.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Can get busy at times
Productive and fun work place.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAOctober 2, 2017
Great hours, work at your own pace and nobody breathing down your back. Good benefits and good people. Managers are very helpful and understanding of daily life.
Pros
Work on your own.
Cons
Could have better vacation policy.
Dont even waste your time and effort
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2017
They are always looking for new employees. Management choices not to look at what they are doing wrong. REFUSE to listen to the drivers on how things can be much more productive, there is no win win team here.
it was ok for a first job
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Sugar Grove, ILAugust 31, 2017
we loaded and unloaded truck with a convener that some times worked and sometime didn't my immediate boss was alright they let us listen to music in the morning
Pros
we got a raise ever six months
Cons
lots of stress mostly from the people
Stay away
Ex driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 28, 2017
They do not tell you the truth an do not care about you period.they attitude is your just a driver!drivers move on so then they pile more on you so others quit you guessed it you get more.then you get all this and management will just hang out in the terminal . The salesmen I will call big n is so lazy it's terrible STAYAWAY drive for FEdEx. Spee Dee hr will turn on you beware
Pros
Customers and other drivers good
Cons
Management only care about themselves period very dishonest!
excellent job security, decent place to work
Fleet Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MN 56302August 11, 2017
Working on these vehicles can be a challenge sometimes, but it is fun. Everyday can bring something new, whether its diagnosing a problem issue or repairing/replacing something you've never done before.
Pros
ability to use shop for personal projects
Cons
pay is low
People who act like they care but don't
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 9, 2017
Do not work here, it starts off nice but quickly shifts to a horrendous experience.
Management is there but not there to help
Long work days, everyday (because of pickups)
Anytime you get in an accident you have a day off with no pay and a drug screening.
They specific gut the cargo vans so there is no car lighter, no air conditioning and you have to pay for your uniform if you want shorts, the uniform also includes wearing SPEE DEE socks, so you'll also have to buy those.
They will also change your route once you start so that you have more area to cover
Some days you won't start on your route till after 9 am because of company delays (this is not good. These delays make your day terribly hectic and overwhelming.
I have zero good things to say about this company.
The upper management is a bunch of smug jerks that seem like robots from another planet.
Pros
Your by yourself all day
Cons
No air conditioning, little communication (unless you do something wrong), salary increases are hard to get.
Shipping
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Marion, IAJuly 13, 2017
I loaded and unloaded trucks. When unloading the trucks you would have to sort them to be put on the correct truck for delivery the next day. It was quick paced but it was a fun atmosphere to work in
Worst job I have ever worked at.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MN 56303July 3, 2017
This company started out good. They used to have a lot of employees until they lost a good manger and they change there review process. They company would't be so bad if they had more people and better management. overall if you need a job go for it.
Pros
There are no pros to this companys
Cons
The management is the worst.
prison work
warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJune 15, 2017
the job was very repetitive losing people left and right forcing the full work load on to a small group. management and corporate giving unrealistic task to accomplish and late nights every night!
back breaking work if you cant pick up 100 pounds or 149 dont apply not worth the headache i was there for 7 months and i never thought i would have to quit but enough is enough
but if you want to suffer and receive basic benefits go for it
btw theres no moving up in the company at all its either warehouse or driver anything else nope
its prison work
oh and the osha rules they break i heard they are breaking about 110
Pros
fantastic supervisor and night time manger
it's o.k
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 15, 2017
It's a job. Always busy always over time. Not enough people work management does not really care as long as the job it's done. Stuff needs to be fixed but doesn't.
Pros
over time
Cons
not enough people
Fun Job if you enjoy Driving as I do
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 8, 2017
Your day starts out with loading. at my depot we have part timers that come in early to put all your packages on your square.

at 730 when you get punched in you have to sort and load your truck for my route this is the most stressful part of my day because some routes can just put there stuff in i literally have to figure out my day then therefore it can take longer to get your van loaded however this usually is only the first hour of your day.

the awesome part is getting out on the open road which i love. you pretty much are your own boss so you would want to take pride in the work you do for your customers. realizing you are providing a service that can save or help is something that is awesome! (i deliver to some veterinarians and respiratory medicine for people as well as many other things)

I often get told by customers how awesome the company is and we always get them their things in a fast timely matter usually 1-2 days.

Overall it is a great job monday through friday with easy going rules and low supervision. as ive said the only downside i think is policies for vacation and how you cant have off the same time as someone else in your group. this is mostly due to the nature of the job and how difficult it can be for someone to cover without knowing your route. also benefits could be better but every job comes with some downsides.

packages can be very heavy and you have to not be afraid to ask for help. you should be able to lift up to 100lbs. anything over should be with help but i cant say there is always someone there to help...

pay for me seems to
  more... be around 38-44k  less
Pros
driving, pay, low supervision
Cons
policies, heavy packages, bad weather driving
Bottom of the delivery driver's career barrel
Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 9, 2017
Heavy packages, poor vehicles, idiotic management and customer service reps (who will call you often), poor training, poor technology etc. This position has a high turnover rate because...
Pros
55 plus hours equals good overtime pay
Cons
poor hourly wage
Official response from Spee Dee Delivery Service Inc.
July 26, 2017

I am sorry you had a bad experience with Spee Dee Delivery. We are working on improving some areas that we feel, need to be improved on. I thank you for your input about your experience and wish you the best in your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spee Dee Delivery Service Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.