Spencer's Gifts
72Above average

Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA27 reviews
Fun and easygoing
This job was very flexible and fun. the people where nice and management was very understanding. we were encourage to give the as friendly as we could and the costumers seemed to be very pleased with the merchandise and ambiance
Pros
freindly
Cons
it was rather far away from my residence
Spencer’s is amazing.
Though i typically had struggled with a lot of simple thing son the job (spending too much time with customers, miscommunication with certain management, staying in my zone) it was easy to see why people loved Spencer’s. Most of the staff were kind and patient, giving the sales associates help where they needed it.
A little about Spencer's
The company overall is a great place to work. They embrace diversity and the staff is always open minded and professional. It's retail so there are challenges, but overall it's not bad at all.
Cool place
I love the diversity in the environment there as a customer and employee. As an employee it gives me a chance to be exposed to people from all over. I enjoy participating in store contests and sales initiatives.
A Fun Relaxing Work environment
I enjoyed My time working at Spencer's but due to my lack of hours I'm not exactly able to describe in full detail how a typical day was but as far as comfortability and management it was really good and very professional.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
fun productive work place
good place to gain experience, very fun and colorful work environment, got to see a change of work environment that i'm used too. Lots of boxes for shipment though.
Pros
fun con
Cons
sorta bad pay wages
A good place to work
When I worked at Spencers I did not have many problems with the job. My only complaint was that the supervisors did not get health benefits. Only the store manager and assistant manager had benefits.
People are really childish
The employees act like they are still in high school. And they never pay attention to what they are doing they also are more like friends with management and it makes for a tough work environment.
Overall fun workplace
The motto at Spencer’s is ‘life is a party, we’re making it fun’. From what I’ve experienced with the company that is very true. There was never a dull moment in the workplace.
overall enjoyed the job
The atmosphere was a bit hectic. There were mischievious individuals walking into the store, and sometimes, they stole. Many times, they were caught before they were able to steal, though.
Pros
Great individuals to work with
Life's a Party, Making it fun
Fun, fast paced environment to work in. They describe the job as fun, and it can be. However what younger adults applying don't seem to realize, you still have to work to get a pay check and it can be stressful to management when they constantly have to pick up your slack.
hard work but fun
this job wouldn't have been that bad if i ever had a sm i mean i worked there for over 6m and never had one and when i ask to take the spot i was told i have to be there longer smh
Pros
a lot fun
Cons
not a lot of benefits
The job was amazing
I always love to go to this job every morning or afternoon, this job was more of my "get away" place because this job was actually really fun. From what I learned from this job was that retail customer service is really tricky, but with a lot of patience, things would go smoothly. The management was outstanding, they're understanding and reliable when it comes to rescheduling my days to come in and work, they treated everyone with respect and modesty. The workplace culture there was a small retail store that sales accessories and clothes. The most enjoyable part of the job was basically everything.
Pros
The job, the money and the environment
seasonal
this is a season job during Halloween, pretty awesome to see all kinds of different decorations. customers were difficult to manage. People can be very impatient during this holiday. costumes rock.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
customers make a mess everyday
Your average day at work
My personal opinion, Spencer's is an adult store and shouldn't allow anyone under 18 in the store. It's very diverse in Spencer, and they sale more than just toys and posters.
Enjoyable workplace, would return defintely
A typical day at work is balanced around administrative tasks, managing employee performance, and tending to the customers. The mall environment gave a large variety of clientele to interact with. The most enjoyable part of the job would be holiday season when we were the busiest and the least enjoyable would be having to pick up where others fell short and not receive recognition for that extra work.
Pros
Conveniently located with a decent discount
Cons
No real cons, it's retail
Productive and cultural
my typical day consisted of helping customers, counting the register, closing the store, stocking items back, and changing promos as needed.
management was great and friendly.

The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with promos.

most enjoyable part of the job was it was a fun place to work at and overall enjoyed being there.

Co-workers were friendly and diverse
Pros
Fun place to work, productive
Cons
minimal hours
Fun & easy job, NO appreciation for employees
I loved working there as the Assistant Store Manager. It was fun & easy. I especially loved the "no dress code" thing. However, the company has no concern for the well being or quality of life of their employees. All that matters to Spencer's is that they have people show up for the shift, do their job & leave on time (not allowed to even really clock out late, despite being busy).

It's a fun JOB, but I definitely wouldn't go into it thinking it could be a CAREER.

Side note: The benefits are AWFUL. The co-pays are insane & the insurance basically covers nothing. The ONLY people that get benefits are the Store Managers & Assistant Store Managers. Even the key holders aren't eligible for benefits… even if they work over the hours they're required to stay under.
Pros
No dress code, easy, laid back
Cons
Horrible benefits, lack of quality of life
Fun place to work
Days at work are pretty easygoing and I enjoy coming to work. Definitely one job that I have had that I can actually say that I wouldn't mind coming into everyday. The overall environment of the store is very fun and welcoming. Like any other retail job we have our regular customers that come in and make my day even better. Although there were some issues with the store manager they were eventually resolve making coming to work even better.
Pros
Flexible work hours, fun place to work
Cons
Short Breaks, Certain managers were not trained properly
Limited Job Opportunities
Although I was not with the company for long, there was limited opportunity for growth. My sales associate position assisted customers with product inquiries, handled cash and credit card payments, and assisted managers in opening and closing of the store.
average job, low pay
This was a typical retail management job. My job title was an assistant manager but got paid a sales associate wage. The work load was average but theft among customers is very high in this store.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer's Gifts. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight