Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Found 76 reviews matching the search See all 1,972 reviews
Fun workplace except one manager and flexible times
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 5, 2019
I loved working there up until the very end then i had an issue with one particular manager which i tried contacting higher up people to resolve the issue but nothing was ever done even though i was not the only employee with this issue
Very Laid Back workspace with cool people
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXJuly 13, 2019
You definitely get paid really well for a simple cashier job. As a sales associate my job really was just to greet people at the door, check people out, and maintain friendly service.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 8, 2019
I love working here! Always feel welcome and great communication to management. Hire ups are a little harder to contact with some days. Has it slow days also! But plenty to be doing
Fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 1, 2019
Definitely a fun place to work. Most coworkers are amazing, but you do run into a few you won't like for various reasons (just like any other job). Customers can be very rude or obscene, but managers have your back and will help out as much as possible. I've had to call a manager over to take over with a few horrible customers, and they did, making sure I was okay after. It is a lot of standing for your shift, but time usually flies u less you're working a dead shift (in which case, managers leave some type of task to help pass the time and help the store). Would definitely recommend working here of you need a filler part time job or want some extra cash.
Very fun and relaxing place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 19, 2019
It can be either fast paced or slow, depending on the time and day. It is definitely a fun environment to be at. You're never really full time, mostly work only 4 hours a day, which is relaxing. You can be more laid back and natural, and they want you to be natural when giving guest service. Registers are easy to use. Management is very friendly. If you become a target store is where it's not completely laid back; you have to be on your best behavior (for the cameras).
Easy and amusing job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAMarch 29, 2019
It was easy to get along with all of my coworkers. Very liberal atmosphere. Good initial training. Boss was very helpful in getting me started as soon as possible.
Amazing place!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 2, 2019
I absolutely love working here, favorite job I’ve ever had. Everyone who works here is amazing and we all get along. It’s always interesting helping people out with what they need. Lots of jokes!
Pros
Cons
Hours
Fun!! Go for a pt job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 24, 2019
This job really got me out of my comfort zone. My team members along with management are all amazing. Hours are not what you would want if you are looking for something over 25hrs a week. Great job if you love working in customer service and retail.
Pros
Discounts, fun environment
Cons
Hours
I mean, fun in theory?
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJanuary 26, 2019
Spencers! What an awesome place to work. Or so any teenager out there would assume. I worked there almost two years on minimum wage. We had very few employees at any given time so I was often forced to work open to close. I could literally do every job there, even management tasks, but was never given a raise or promotion. I even did the management training. I believe the boss had a personal problem with me and I had had enough. I quit and was placed on the no rehire list. Not even a week later that manager was fired. However I did try to reapply but could not be put back on do to my placement on the no rehire list.
It was not what I expected
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYJanuary 9, 2019
I liked working there for a little while then afterward everything just went down hill and it became a headache/annoying. I don't thing I would go back and work there again.
Pros
discount, fun environment.
Cons
management, hours, the way things are gone about.
Fun but at your own accord
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Blasdell, NYOctober 2, 2018
I loved my job. I meet great people every day. People are nice and understand that you have to push the company charity at them, so most give at least a dollar to help out. We can wear whatever we want, the store is accomodating to those with pacemakers, the schedule is fine, and in general it is a nice place to work.

The down side is coming in to work and being told you are not doing your job good enough because you are only collecting a dollar donation instead of $5 or more per person. I think once you collect a donation (people do not Have to give anything, mind you) then you did what was required of you and should not be put down first thing in the morning because you did not raise the "company goal" by yourself on a slow day. Makes you not want to do that part of the job, since they don't appreciate what they get anyways.

Also, I find it a bit sketchy that people who fill out the form to win a prize don't know that we use their email address, to fill in a blank spot for a customer who may not want to be added to the list. In other words, the customer who applied for the contest got added without their knowledge. I don't think that is good business practice and am not comfortable for inputting that information into my computer on a daily basis.

You do get to work with a diverse crowd. No one talks to you much, so you get left alone for most of the day which is fine.
Pros
30% discount, 10 min. break with a 4 hr. shift, casual dress
Cons
Pushing the charity and having to ask to round up even if they originally said no to a donation.
It’s a really fun job to work
Sales Associate cashier (Current Employee) –  Covina, CASeptember 18, 2018
Fun experience good vibes in the whole store. All associates are really friendly too be around. Pretty good discount and cool clothes and accessories.
Pros
10 minute breaks
Cons
Short breaks
Really nice
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZSeptember 8, 2018
I actually love Spencer's Gifts it is the first store I always come to when I go tp the mall because they're always changing and they always have a lot of cool new stuff to offer. Working there was actually really cool, you learn a lot about the Spencer's culture and the employees there are also usually really friendly and cool, you will always find someone that you can relate to in a really awesome personal level, so if I could I would definitely work there again no doubt.
Pros
15 minute breaks every 4 hours
Cons
Productive place to work lots of different things to do
Sales Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 4, 2018
Working at Spencer's gifts is a fun place to work with very low pay ! Not a job you should work if you have high bills mainly a job for a teenager starting off
Fun and exciting workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAJuly 24, 2018
Spencers by far has the best management team I have ever worked with. I learned how to push items and add on. The hardest part of the job is not being able to do returns or exchanges. The most enjoyable part is working with great customers and co workers.
Fun place to work with no dress code
Sales associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJuly 14, 2018
On a day to day basis i mainly greet people at the door, fold shirts and check people out at the register. I also push sales goals and contests while helping guests find just what they're looking for, whether it be a specific love product or one of our new storage jars. There's a lot of hilarious stuff and new things almost every week. It rarely gets old working here.
Pros
30% discount, flexible hours, fun environment, no dress code, friendly staff
Cons
No healthcare benefits, not enough hours, annoying teenagers who are blatantly to young to be in the back snickering at love products, and rubber chickens
Reliable and fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at spencers they have a great working atmosphere, very nice employees and are willing to work with you. The only thing i would change is the amount of hours you're given.
It’s a awesome job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 22, 2018
This job is good for people that’s looking for a job while in school they’ll work with your school schedule anything the staff is friendly m cool asl .
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
Stressful and unfair workplace
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Antonio TexasJune 19, 2018
Working at spencers has made me a different person.
While competing for hours in a typical day at work, you are scheduled for a a shift and may not clock in before that time starts and must clock out exactly when your time is over. The company allows a strict budget on how many hours can be taken with in a week which forces management to be very stressed out which further leads to treating associates unfairly.
Management is typical and requires associates to worship the ground they walk on if one does not want to be bullied or treated differently.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up sales on products that current day customers do not seek.
The most enjoyable part of this job is being walked out by a manager after every shift while having to turn all of your pockets out and have your bags checked in order to deter associates from stealing over priced novelty junk.
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
A great place to advance and quickly.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 5, 2018
A fun, friendly, relaxed work environment, with a really chill work atmosphere. The theme is to treat your work day like a party and have an energetic, team style, hard working attitude. The work is easy and pretty straight forward. Overall, a great place to work, especially if you're a teenager, seeking your first job. Sometimes, the hours were lacking, but otherwise, it was a great job and I would highly recommend it.
Pros
Mall setting, usually near a food court, with plenty of opportunity for growth.
Cons
Lack of steady hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer's Gifts. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight