Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews for Sales Manager

Found 200 reviews matching the search See all 1,936 reviews
Honestly, working for Spencer’s can be a fun opportunity to grow with personal and professional skills
Sales Associate / Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJune 28, 2019
Honestly, working for Spencer’s can be a fun opportunity to develop personal and professional skills. Maturity is key.

You will have to be comfortable with yourself in order to be comfortable working with/selling a variety of merchandise, from fun gag gifts to pop cultural t-Shirts and hats, jewelry, drink ware to more mature personal items. This is a very sales and goal oriented job.
Pros
Fun environment, meeting and working with new and interesting people
Cons
Dealing with immature guests/customers, Sales are everything
Was a fun job!
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 27, 2019
Great atmosphere and employee's working there. It does get hectic certain times of the year or when a contest is going on but other then that it was a great company to work for!
Such a vibe killer
SALES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 22, 2019
The management at this place is a complete disaster. They either give no guidance, or are breathing down your throat. Customers can be very sketchy, but also very cool. Not good at restocking appropriate inventory which is frustrating. Also VERY frustrating how they push you daily and through each shift to make big sales, but you get no commission. Very low pay out.
Pros
Cool people
Cons
Terrible management
well its a mall job but it wasn't to bad, for a mall job
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 19, 2019
Spencer'r gifts was a really fun place to work and learn what it meant to be a supervisor and how to be a effective on as well all and all it is a good start job for young people for sure!
Great company to work for
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMay 28, 2019
I have been with spencers on and off from 2011 to 2018. I only left the company for a career change. It's a good retailer to work for. All of my managers were amazing and taught me so much through out all the years.
Pros
Sick hours and vacation hours, flexible schedule for supervisors, organized system in training
Cons
Loss prevention can be worked on more in certain criteria
Read!
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 13, 2019
I’ve worked there for 4 years, giving my all. Never received any recognition for all the hard work put in, just a pat on the back. I was overlooked 3 times in place for moving up. They decided to bring people with absolutely no experience to take a management position instead of hiring someone who already knew the store. The last manager was very pushy and intimidated by employees which resulted in wrongful termination. Then later talked about the incident over the entire mall, talk about embarrassment. I thought this was the coolest place to work but it’s far from it. They have no love for their loyal employees.
Pros
Absolutely nothing!
Cons
Short breaks. No benefits. Low pay. No room for advancement. DO NOT promote within.
I absolutely loved working at Spencer's
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOApril 23, 2019
Spencer's truly is a great place to work. It's a fun environment, you make fantastic connections with the people you work with and you generally have a good time because people are buying the silliest things, whether its for bachelorette parties or game night. I'm gonna miss putting those displays together and getting new products in.
Pros
fun
Cons
interferes with adult lifestyle
Havent worked for the company in a long time
Working Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAApril 16, 2019
I havent worked for this company in over 5 years . I was a working sales supervisor . The pay was terrible but, the environment was great. There were weekly sales goals to reach but, they were not hard to accomplish.
Pros
fun work place
Cons
pay
Exceptional workplace to learn and strive
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXApril 6, 2019
I loved working for Spencers', I grew as a person and made a second family. I started as an associate and grew to a supervising position. Aiding people with help and helping them find what they need is always a plus. Most of all, their party is the store and we are the guests.
The Best Place To Work!
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTApril 1, 2019
Everyone is amazing to work with and guests are always friendly! There is always something to do, whether its folding shirts or helping guests. Going to work never felt like work, it felt fun.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Amazing Job at Store Level, Higher Ups are Nightmare
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 21, 2019
You either have a million things to do in a day, or are standing around doing nothing for hours. If your store team is nice and not lazy, the actual work environment is amazing, but if you make one mistake the higher ups will throw you to the wolves. Anyone DM level or higher has no idea what it's like to be on the floor, and they'll berate you for any little mistake. If it's a big mistake, you're gone, no second chances. Shipments are never correct, and it might take weeks to get all the boxes you were supposed to have, and there's nothing you can do at all if what was in those boxes was wrong. Those off counts just count against you at the end of the year.
Pros
Discount, fun coworkers
Cons
Stressful, bad upper management
Fun job for kids in school, but pay is too low for anyone to live off of
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSFebruary 11, 2019
Good part time job that is fun and easy going. I was promoted to sales supervisor within 1yr. Only downfall was that the pay did not compare to even super market cashiers who started off much higher for a more basic job with less responsibilities. Turn over will always be high because of the low pay. It is aimed for high school or college kids, in exception to the one store manager that runs it.
Pros
Fun, fast pace, sociable
Cons
30min breaks, low pay
Grest Place for a College Student
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 24, 2019
Starting at a sales associate nit a lot was asked of me. The general keeping the store clean to ringing customers up was about it. As a sales supervisor, the things asked were typical for a supervisor.
Fun atmosphere
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 22, 2019
Low stress work place where co workers care for each other. I worked there for part of high school and two years of college. They where very flexible with my schedule.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
hours
The job itself was great, management was HORRIBLE
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2019
I liked the environment of the store and how i got to be myself and didn't have to use a "customer service voice". Relaxed dress code was a nice change too.

Very strict operations. Tasks MUST be done a certain way in certain orders. Backroom was unorganized and unclean.

Management was not organized. I was only trained the bare minimum and was reprimanded for not knowing how to find certain numbers and statistics in a broken system I wasn't taught or when I had a question about how to perform certain tasks. Looked down on and took for granted. While I loved my sales associates, only one of my 4 managers respected me and treated me kindly.

The specific store i worked in has had a change in management, but the company has not.

TLDR-
Job good, management BAD. VERY BAD.
Pros
discounts, didn't have to fake
Cons
unorganized, stressful
don't work here
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 20, 2018
It's just a specific store. I transferred to a new store and transferring made me HATE my job so much. The manager has made many transphobic, and racist remarks.
Pros
30% off
Cons
everything else
An Average to Good Minimum-wage Job
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTDecember 18, 2018
A typical day at Spencer's mostly involves talking to customers and trying to push product, general upkeep of the store, and watching out for shoplifters. My favorite part of the job was helping customers find exactly what they were looking for, and my least favorite part was moving shelving/dealing with shoplifters.
The workplace culture is pretty laid back, which I think takes a lot from how the company sort of presents itself.
I don't think the upper management/corporate really cares about the lower levels of associates - there were some pretty draconian practices put into play before I left that made it really frustrating to work there.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, friendly coworkers
Cons
strict management and guidelines, customers in general
Fun place to work for a teenager
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LANovember 13, 2018
This is a fun place to work as a teenager but not really a career oriented establishment. The job was pretty simple. Stocking shelves, receiving incoming stock, creating decorative displays for holidays.
Great Job
Sales Associate - Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 9, 2018
Great Job in a laid back environment where you can learn a lot while getting work done and being yourself. Super easy and fun job. It definitely got stressful during holidays and promotional events, as with any job, but as long as you dont let it get the best of you, youll be fine.
Fun work environment
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAOctober 31, 2018
With room for growth and opportunities for expansion in the company, Spencer’s was a fun job that was competitive at the same time. The environment was welcoming.
Pros
Flexible work hours