Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Found 1,613 reviews matching the search See all 1,887 reviews
Working in pop culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHJune 14, 2019
A typical day at would be maintaining sales to reach target goals, go to bank with daily deposits and to get change needed for the day. Maintain shrink in the store watching out for shoplifters. Working with customers with high enthusiasm demonstrating different products that are on sale or new.
Great Management, Great Sales Team, Great Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 13, 2019
I really do love my job. I love that it has helped me so much with my anxiety, I love the type of people that come into Spencers (we bring in a select crowd), I love my fellow Sales Associates, and there really hasn’t been a single person we’ve hired that I don’t like. We’re all like a big family. Learning to work the register and knowing your surroundings is very simple, every time I have asked for time off it’s been approved, even a day in advance. You start off at 8.50 and get 9.00 after 3 months. Not super great for career advancement, and hours are light for everyone whose not a manager. I get about 15-20 hours weekly. 5/5 stars.
Pros
Great Team, Great Place
Cons
Low Hours, Lack of Career Advancement
Fun people to work with.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 13, 2019
The only reason I've remained at Spencer's as long as I have is because I really like a lot of the people I work with, at the store level. But there are no other benefits to working for this company, in my opinion.
not likely to recomend
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 11, 2019
although I love the store itself. I had a poor management team. There was a lack of structure, and an abundance of hear say, that staff and management were involved in. I never felt secure in my job because of the way management and employees were able to communicate with each other.
Fun place to work at
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 10, 2019
Great job for beginners. They make you do training before and its super easy. You basically just walk around the store and check up on customers depending on whether its a slow day or not.
Pros
Chill job
Cons
Slow work days
Productive Workplace
Crew Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJune 10, 2019
Working at Spencer's Gifts is honestly a summer job and yes you do get low pay and only 13 to 18 hours of work that's pretty much it I mean the customers are rude & racist, the associates are happy in your face but talk so bad about you behind your back, the supervisors don't care so much but the managers are unbelievably strange & they feel like they're running an empire when it's just a novelty store. Customers steal plus they don't care who you are. Nobody helps you inside that store, it's small, floors are nasty & sticky.
Pros
You learn more about sex
Cons
Headache, Stress, To Much Drama
Never get any hours and sucky management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NCJune 7, 2019
The corporate ladder for Spencers is trash. They don’t care or take their employees serious. They pay their employees bare minimum. It’s a terrible place to work.
Pros
You work in the mall so you leave before 10pm
Cons
basically an after school job
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 3, 2019
This is not a place to start a career, they treat the employees terrible. All the managers talk down to their workers. It is hard to keep workers when you treat people like that.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
stressful environment
Could use some work but its been a while
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 3, 2019
I haven't worked there in about a year before writing this so idk how much they've changed, but when I worked there there were many management issues and were in competition with eachother to see who was better. It was a very toxic dynamic and unfortunately was the reason I left, I hope everything has changed for the better cause the environment was awesome!
Overworked and underappreciated.
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYJune 2, 2019
They want you to go above and beyond for them, and then when you do, they don't give you anything in return. I worked for the company for 4 years and was treated very poorly when I decided to leave. They overwork you, no recognition for hard work and meeting goals. Pay is minimal with salary based positions working well over 40 hours. Benefits are very expensive.
They only thing I loved about my job was my team and fellow store managers.
Pros
Fun products and atmosphere
Cons
Upper management, hours, pay.
Wonderful place to work
Part-time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 1, 2019
Working at Spencer's Gifts was a wonderful experience. The customers were great to interact with and help. I was very excited to go work everyday. Management was amazing. They were very helpful with training and helping me get adjusted to the environment. The atmosphere was very different from my previous jobs, it was a good change. The customers were very polite and wonderful to assist. The hardest part of the job would have been not being able to help a customer get what they needed or expected coming into the store. I enjoyed my co workers and the atmosphere the most.
Pros
A great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
fun enviroment
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 1, 2019
working at spencer gifts was easy the staff was okay assisted with issues quickly and overall stayed busy so day went by fast. warehouse was also very organized
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
extremly hot in summer extremly cold in winter
Like a Family
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXMay 30, 2019
I loved working for Spencer's, and cried when I moved!

They were always so encouraging, and understood everyone is different. They didn't judge anybody who walked through the door, including the customers.

We were always having fun, and always met our goals, because we worked as a team.
They even got me cards when I had to move away!

I would go back in a heart beat!!!

"Life's a Party, Make it Fun!"
Pros
Great Work Environment, Training, Friends!
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Fun and helpful for the most part.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMay 30, 2019
This job started out fun. It's an easy job to do as an associate. Slightly more difficult when you learn the inner workings. Vastly different when you become a very important part of the store.
Pros
Good people and decent customers.
Cons
Corporate
not worth it
HOMEMAKER (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 29, 2019
Over worked and under paid. Management is expected to eat sleep and breath Spencer's. No one receives a promotion unless their the last employee standing.
Pros
interesting inventory
Cons
no benefits, low wage
10 years what a waist.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 28, 2019
I worked for the company for ten years and there was no room for advancement. Also worked for the spirit side and it was not fun. I love Halloween and I felt as though I couldnt enjoy it because of the demand of the job. You are told you would work 44 hours , but that's unrealistic. Most weeks one would end up working 60 + hours. My advice is to run away.
Pros
Discount
Cons
60 hour work weeks, veryVery physically demanding
fun and productive place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 28, 2019
I was temporary so, I am not sure of some of these answers. I restocked shelves. I was a cashier but they also had me in the personal area because people found it easy to approach me.
Pros
Great friendly work staff.
Great company to work for
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMay 28, 2019
I have been with spencers on and off from 2011 to 2018. I only left the company for a career change. It's a good retailer to work for. All of my managers were amazing and taught me so much through out all the years.
Pros
Sick hours and vacation hours, flexible schedule for supervisors, organized system in training
Cons
Loss prevention can be worked on more in certain criteria
Spencer Gifts
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 28, 2019
I really liked my time at Spencer Gifts. I learned a lot about organization, and coaching and counseling employees. The only problem is it was hard to advance. Area managers often pick who they want to promote instead of giving everyone interested an interview.
Amazing job!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 25, 2019
I love this accepting, fun job. Everyone there is like a second family to me. I have worked a few other places, but I believe this would be my favorite out of all of them.