Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Found 1,622 reviews matching the search See all 1,898 reviews
This job was the best at first, but then it all got bad and nasty fast
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 25, 2019
the company does try to help its employees but when it comes down to it this was the worst place i have ever worked. i would never tell anyone to work here if they were looking for a real place to work. you will not be happy and will always be stressed, and very sad.
Great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 25, 2019
Its a great environment to work in. Everyone's fun and friendly. Managers were flexible with schedules. Even on busy days it was still a relaxed environment. Plus great music playing all day.
Pros
Discounts, Great Environment
Cons
Short breaks
fun work place, not great employees.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJune 24, 2019
I really loved my job at spencers, it was fun and paid decently and I always loved going to work, however a lot of the employees were very lazy and we all had issues with one manager in particular and I hate to say it but thats the entire reason I had to quit my job. And I was their best sales associate.
productive and fun environment
Seasonal help (Former Employee) –  2701 Ming Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93304June 24, 2019
was relaxed and sometimes fasted paced. learned how to work in sales associate and greet and guid people in what they need. the management was okay. the culture of the people were fun to work with. hardest part of the job was getting to know some new people. the best part of the job was getting to work around halloween time and dressing up while working.
Fun workplace easy
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 24, 2019
Everything was easy and perfect, managment was laid back and easy to communicate with. Had no troubles in training or anything in general. Laid back vibe allows you to decompress from other tougher runned businesses
Pros
Laid back, fun
Cons
Not alot of hours or pay
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALJune 22, 2019
I've learned so much about what it takes to run a business and advance at a company from Spencers. They were actually very attentive in giving courses on policy and procedure as well as many other valuable skills and qualifications I'll carry throughout my career.
Such a vibe killer
SALES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 22, 2019
The management at this place is a complete disaster. They either give no guidance, or are breathing down your throat. Customers can be very sketchy, but also very cool. Not good at restocking appropriate inventory which is frustrating. Also VERY frustrating how they push you daily and through each shift to make big sales, but you get no commission. Very low pay out.
Pros
Cool people
Cons
Terrible management
Very fun and relaxing place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 19, 2019
It can be either fast paced or slow, depending on the time and day. It is definitely a fun environment to be at. You're never really full time, mostly work only 4 hours a day, which is relaxing. You can be more laid back and natural, and they want you to be natural when giving guest service. Registers are easy to use. Management is very friendly. If you become a target store is where it's not completely laid back; you have to be on your best behavior (for the cameras).
well its a mall job but it wasn't to bad, for a mall job
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 19, 2019
Spencer'r gifts was a really fun place to work and learn what it meant to be a supervisor and how to be a effective on as well all and all it is a good start job for young people for sure!
Working in pop culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHJune 14, 2019
A typical day at would be maintaining sales to reach target goals, go to bank with daily deposits and to get change needed for the day. Maintain shrink in the store watching out for shoplifters. Working with customers with high enthusiasm demonstrating different products that are on sale or new.
Great Management, Great Sales Team, Great Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 13, 2019
I really do love my job. I love that it has helped me so much with my anxiety, I love the type of people that come into Spencers (we bring in a select crowd), I love my fellow Sales Associates, and there really hasn’t been a single person we’ve hired that I don’t like. We’re all like a big family. Learning to work the register and knowing your surroundings is very simple, every time I have asked for time off it’s been approved, even a day in advance. You start off at 8.50 and get 9.00 after 3 months. Not super great for career advancement, and hours are light for everyone whose not a manager. I get about 15-20 hours weekly. 5/5 stars.
Pros
Great Team, Great Place
Cons
Low Hours, Lack of Career Advancement
Fun people to work with.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 13, 2019
The only reason I've remained at Spencer's as long as I have is because I really like a lot of the people I work with, at the store level. But there are no other benefits to working for this company, in my opinion.
not likely to recomend
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 11, 2019
although I love the store itself. I had a poor management team. There was a lack of structure, and an abundance of hear say, that staff and management were involved in. I never felt secure in my job because of the way management and employees were able to communicate with each other.
Fun place to work at
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 10, 2019
Great job for beginners. They make you do training before and its super easy. You basically just walk around the store and check up on customers depending on whether its a slow day or not.
Pros
Chill job
Cons
Slow work days
Productive Workplace
Crew Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJune 10, 2019
Working at Spencer's Gifts is honestly a summer job and yes you do get low pay and only 13 to 18 hours of work that's pretty much it I mean the customers are rude & racist, the associates are happy in your face but talk so bad about you behind your back, the supervisors don't care so much but the managers are unbelievably strange & they feel like they're running an empire when it's just a novelty store. Customers steal plus they don't care who you are. Nobody helps you inside that store, it's small, floors are nasty & sticky.
Pros
You learn more about sex
Cons
Headache, Stress, To Much Drama
Never get any hours and sucky management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NCJune 7, 2019
The corporate ladder for Spencers is trash. They don’t care or take their employees serious. They pay their employees bare minimum. It’s a terrible place to work.
Pros
You work in the mall so you leave before 10pm
Cons
basically an after school job
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 3, 2019
This is not a place to start a career, they treat the employees terrible. All the managers talk down to their workers. It is hard to keep workers when you treat people like that.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
stressful environment
Could use some work but its been a while
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 3, 2019
I haven't worked there in about a year before writing this so idk how much they've changed, but when I worked there there were many management issues and were in competition with eachother to see who was better. It was a very toxic dynamic and unfortunately was the reason I left, I hope everything has changed for the better cause the environment was awesome!
Overworked and underappreciated.
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYJune 2, 2019
They want you to go above and beyond for them, and then when you do, they don't give you anything in return. I worked for the company for 4 years and was treated very poorly when I decided to leave. They overwork you, no recognition for hard work and meeting goals. Pay is minimal with salary based positions working well over 40 hours. Benefits are very expensive.
They only thing I loved about my job was my team and fellow store managers.
Pros
Fun products and atmosphere
Cons
Upper management, hours, pay.
Wonderful place to work
Part-time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 1, 2019
Working at Spencer's Gifts was a wonderful experience. The customers were great to interact with and help. I was very excited to go work everyday. Management was amazing. They were very helpful with training and helping me get adjusted to the environment. The atmosphere was very different from my previous jobs, it was a good change. The customers were very polite and wonderful to assist. The hardest part of the job would have been not being able to help a customer get what they needed or expected coming into the store. I enjoyed my co workers and the atmosphere the most.
Pros
A great staff
Cons
Not enough hours