Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Found 1,667 reviews matching the search See all 1,951 reviews
Spencer Gifts
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 28, 2019
I really liked my time at Spencer Gifts. I learned a lot about organization, and coaching and counseling employees. The only problem is it was hard to advance. Area managers often pick who they want to promote instead of giving everyone interested an interview.
Amazing job!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 25, 2019
I love this accepting, fun job. Everyone there is like a second family to me. I have worked a few other places, but I believe this would be my favorite out of all of them.
Great environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 24, 2019
Overall it was easy- going and relaxed. Keeping the store clean, interacting with the customers, and staying positive will take you a long way. The staff was understanding and kept you on your toes.
Good time had by all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMay 23, 2019
the screening process for this job is quite challenging but assuming you make it to an interview its quite worth it. The hours and pay are very good to people willing to work for what they want.
Cons
Short Breaks
Great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA 17109May 20, 2019
Fun, upbeat work environment and staff. Spencers is a very relaxed and stress free place. Great discounts and products. I highly recommend anyone in their teens or twenties to work there.
Pros
30 minute break and a 15 minute paid break
Not really sustainable, but kind of a fun diversion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 20, 2019
A goofy, unique retail job - if you're on summer break or looking for a second source of income, it's worthwhile compared to other retail jobs. Otherwise, seek out something full-time.

Rewards for sales goals are nonexistent, like in most outlet settings, but there's no real pressure to meet them because of the immense turnover and the (pretty bad) state of mall sales as a whole.

The co-workers are fantastic - extroverts will automatically thrive, while introverts will find a relatively relaxing space to learn sales, marketing, ad copy, etc. Since management tends to perceive most of the associates as unscrupulous or juvenile, drama and rumors abound. You're probably not going to be there longer than a year or so, though, so the relationships stay pretty fresh and the management doesn't get too obnoxious.

Teens don't really hang out in malls anymore but the ones who do tend to perceive Spencer's as of a cool place to wander around and/or shoplift from. I didn't mind them, but if you struggle to be around or openly confront kids, you might find the position annoying.

If you're at all looking to work your way up to a supervisory position, look elsewhere. You sign up for this job knowing you'll be an associate as long as you stay there, working no more than 18 hours a week at no more than whatever's the minimum for retail workers in you area per hour.

But hey, beerbongs! Gag gifts! Fun!
Pros
Fairly atypical retail experience, Not as much of a slog as big-box stores or comparable mall outlets, Draws interesting and fun co-workers thanks to idiosyncratic products/company mission
Cons
Sales associates are totally redundant, Zero chance of advancement even to supervisor or assistant supervisor positions, Hours are terrible/nonexistent until several months in, Only worth pursuing as a summer job
fun productive work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 18, 2019
good place to gain experience, very fun and colorful work environment, got to see a change of work environment that i'm used too. Lots of boxes for shipment though.
Pros
fun con
Cons
sorta bad pay wages
Love it !
Sales Associate and Cashier / Stocker (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 15, 2019
Great place to work I loved everything about it ! Except for being rushed to come back at least 2 minutes early on a 10 minute break which is crazy .
Pros
Relaxed Fun work place
Cons
Short breaks
terrible communication
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 14, 2019
While I thought the job was going well and everyone worked pretty well together, I was let go without any warning or reasoning. Later come to find out I just didn't fit into their 'clique' - I'd say crew but they were definitely more of a clique. It was quickly like high school all over again.
Horrible and preg. discrimination
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMay 13, 2019
Absolutely horrible was discriminated against for being pregnant and was asked personal questions regarding my pregnancy that was against the law to even ask when contacted HR they refused to do anything nor cared and took managements side since I had a belly “it was fine to ask questions regarding my pregnancy” kept asking when I was going to leave and that I should leave earlier and then forced to give a leave date
Cons
Rude
Read!
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 13, 2019
I’ve worked there for 4 years, giving my all. Never received any recognition for all the hard work put in, just a pat on the back. I was overlooked 3 times in place for moving up. They decided to bring people with absolutely no experience to take a management position instead of hiring someone who already knew the store. The last manager was very pushy and intimidated by employees which resulted in wrongful termination. Then later talked about the incident over the entire mall, talk about embarrassment. I thought this was the coolest place to work but it’s far from it. They have no love for their loyal employees.
Pros
Absolutely nothing!
Cons
Short breaks. No benefits. Low pay. No room for advancement. DO NOT promote within.
fun place to work but not worth it
Part-Time Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 12, 2019
it was a fun place to work but not worth it. You do not receive enough hours, and there's not much opportunity to work full time unless you want a management position. Also not high enough pay for the work expected.
Wish I didn't have to leave
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 8, 2019
I was a sales associate at a Spencer's, and it was probably the best job I ever had. It was a small store with not too many employees at the location, which made it easy to get really close to your coworkers (and kinda easy to hate some of your coworkers, if I'm being honest). I wish I had more hours, but I was in school and worked 4 hours a week at least, and that's the best I could have asked for. My managers and I were really close (I am actually still best friends with my old assistant store manager) and I miss them. I was in training to become a manager before I realized I had to leave (I moved, and kinda wish I didn't). The downsides I can think of was the amount of loss the stores have (which is kind of to be expected for a store at the mall) and the high turn over rate of sales associates. I recommend working here if you're in high school, or as a manager if you're not. The hours are flexible and the environment is to die for.
Pros
Great environment, great people, competitive pay
Cons
High turnover rate, low employee discounts (20%)
Fun part time job
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 6, 2019
Great place to work as a 2nd or part time job. Great work environment, and awesome coworkers. My favorite job I’ve worked so far. The customers are pretty relaxed too.
Pros
Discount, great people to work with fun atmosphere
Cons
Pay and hours
Fun but not enough pay
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTMay 5, 2019
Spencer's is a fun job for the most part. My main complaint would be the pay and the company's refusal to up the hourly wage. It is barely enough to live off of, and this is coming from assistant and store manager.
Pros
Fun and easy
Cons
Not enough pay
Fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 3, 2019
I enjoyed working for Spencer’s Gifts , they had a fun yet professional atmosphere and flexible hours. Definitely a job choice not a career. My communication skills improved and sales ability through this job to help me prepare for other jobs
Pros
Fun
Cons
No commission
Terrible work place with terrible pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTMay 1, 2019
Don’t get me wrong, I loved my coworkers but this is such a toxic environment. They drag you in by saying you’re a “family” and then use you. You get so overworked and SO underpayed.
Cons
Low pay, low hours (until everyone quits)
no loyality
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 28, 2019
I've been with the company for over 5 years and I was always doing shipment and working every Saturday and holiday, never took days off. I thought If I did my best I could move up in the company but they just like me doing all the dirty work while everyone else stand around talking about spreading rumors about me. I tried talking to higher management and HR and they both gave me they cold shoulder and I shortly quit my job after.
Pros
discounts
Cons
10 mintue break
Part time
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 25, 2019
Being a part time employee was great before a real manager was hired. After the new manager was hired my hours went from 20 per week to 8 per week. That is not enough to pay any of my bills.
Pros
Worked out with my childs school schedule.
Cons
I don't get enough hours.
This is not a career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 24, 2019
I worked for Spencer's gifts for MANY years. I actually worked here way longer than I should have. The environment itself was immature but fun. You deal with a lot of mall rats and young at heart. I was at the job for over 5 years and received a raise twice. Once because the average pay went up and they had to match my pay with that, and again when I was promoted to management. I was never given an opportunity to work my way up, and they hired 2 outside hires as store manager.

While dealing with lack of a living wage, people asking how to use sex toys, and giggling teenagers trying to open the lube, I also was REQUIRED to catch and prosecute people shoplifting. Was threatened to receive corrective actions if I did not catch at least 3 shoplifters a month.
Pros
fun environment, decent discount, flexible hours
Cons
little pay, no career advancement, no health benefits, stressful