Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews

Would work there again if requested
Chef (Former Employee) –  TrinadadNovember 15, 2018
Contract international Chef Position. Excellent managemnt support fro Houston Office. Worked in Trinidad on drill ship. Easy management for traveling and support.
Contract
Floorhand/Roustabout (Current Employee) –  Gulf of MexicoAugust 15, 2018
Spencer for the most part has been able to provide steady work, but I don't desire contract work to be a full time job for me. New rig each time is something I don't particularly care for either.
Fun Environment
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
Young staff and great place to begin your professional career as a recruiter. They offer a great mentoring program. Numbers and sales-driven culture.
Pros
very cool office
Work place training
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 24, 2018
Double standard in safety requirements & training. Supervisor not informed of safety procedures on plant sight. Mgr's unaware of plant status. Poor management.
Contracts and Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
A good place to work but not many opportunities to grow within the company. The individuals in the company are nice and fun to work with. The company tries to have activities to build the team.
Electronic Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2018
Working at Spencer Ogden is the same as working for any drilling contractor. The only things that is different is that your are responsible for handling your travel too and from work and slight pay cut.
Cool place to work but no type of training for the interns
Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2018
Spencer Ogden was a cool place to work, but the biggest problem was that they had no training for the interns. You had to manage figuring things out on your own.
Pros
Nice employees, very interactive
Cons
no training, had to pick up things on your own
Spencer Ogden is ok to work for
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2018
Spencer Ogden is ok to work for as long as Drilling Companies need Contract Personnel to fill in Positions or Rig upgrades are taking place and Work Rotation is according to the Drilling Company
They did give me a job.. Thanks
Solar Installer (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCApril 10, 2018
A great company.. Gave me a job when no one else would.. I really thank them for that.. Built a great team of guys that enjoyed the work and we got alot accomplished
Underpaid & Micromanaged -- Not worth your time.
Recruiting Consultant & Business Development (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2018
I have 5 years of recruiting experience and I have to say Spencer Ogden was by far the worst agency I've worked at.

If you come from an environment with any structure or expectations set for both recruiters and account managers then you will pull your hair out working here.

If you are thinking about interviewing w SO reach out to multiple previous employees on LinkedIn and get their opinion first before interviewing.

Leadership is not supportive and are most concerned about looking out for themselves. There is a very micro managed approach to leadership stemming from a lack of confidence, power hungry, and inexperienced "managers" in this office.

To couple the inexperience, pressure from management trickles down on every level creating hostile and unpleasant environments to work in and "culture".

The lost 4 out of 5 Regional Managers in 2017. The company is a hot mess. There is no advancement. The pay is substantially underpaid, commissions are terrible. 90% attrition with the company & the Denver Office, which is substantially higher than industry average even for recruiting. You pay for parking downtown.

You do get off early on Fridays and the health benefits are good. But those are literally the only 2 perks.
Pros
Friday 1/2 day, great health benefits
Cons
substantially low base, low commissions, micromanaged, pay $200+ a month for parking out of pocket, 90% attrition, not much structure
loved working there not much room for advancing
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Saudi ArabiaFebruary 24, 2018
I loved the places i traveled too. The money was great and i enjoyed the people i worked with and for. The only thing i wished was better was the opportune city to advance. I guess i stayed in one spot because i know I'm good at what I do. Also i only stayed a year because the contract was up on the site and negotiations to extend it was not handled fast enough for people to be able to stay on.
Pros
great people, good money
Cons
chances to advance
Great Environment on the recruiting side, administrative department needs help
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2018
There are not nearly enough employees doing the "behind the scenes" work necessary to keep the company afloat. Therefore, the administrative employees are constantly over-worked, stressed, fighting, and annoyed
fast paced,
Start-Up Commissioning Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  HoustanJanuary 8, 2018
Spencer -Ogden is a fast paced company, excellent people to work for, although you are expected to hit the ground running, learned a lot on the job from coworkers that had been in the industry for years.
Pros
fast paced
Good people
Solar Panel Installer (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCOctober 26, 2017
They are cool helps the family pay advanced cool recruiter's they here your problems they check on you and they solve the problems so check them out k
good company to work for
Oiler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
Spencer Ogden has been a good company to work for the last few months. It was difficult to get an assignment for about nine months. However after the first couple of jobs Spencer Ogden has been really good about sending me out for work. So be prepared to wait. But once you get an opportunity to prove yourself do a good job and you will have plenty of work.
Pros
Loyal to dependable employees
Cons
Takes awhile for first assignment
no extra's
Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002August 21, 2017
A typical day at work was pressure testing equipment, using air and then with water also checking P&ID's. The workplace culture was slow and some inexperience personnel people in leadership role. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people that was doing the hand on work was very experience.
Pros
most of the bosses allowed you do schedule and perform yoour daily jobs.
Cons
Like of mangement availability.
If you want to be a recruiter go elsewhere
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 11, 2017
My experience at Spencer Ogden was to say the least, awful. The training was inadequate for someone who was starting out in recruitment. The managers were unsupportive and the culture there was simply toxic. The managers in Denver did not care too much for the growth of their people and were too busy dealing with their own book of business.
Pros
Can be an aggressive environment if that's what you enjoy
Cons
Poor benefits, no 401k match, poor management, not a very engaging work environment
Excellent
Principal Estimator (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXJuly 27, 2017
Every thing about this assignment was first class. The contract was as 6 month placement. At the end of the 6 months the customer did not re-new the contract and they did not have another position available
Pros
Good folks, clear concise communication
Cons
Contract ran out. Assignment was a 6 month contract.
They did a great job
E&I Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2017
Maximum effort was put forth whenever I had a question or concern about the job or any pay issues I might have had. Overall I liked the group of people that I worked with.
Very helpful
Combination Welder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2017
The experience was a good one. They helped me find employment quickly and were very in touch with me throughout my time at the company however the company (not Spencer ogden) pulled the okey doke on me after 7 months of being there and Spencer Ogden said they would find me another position at another company but I've yet to see that.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer Ogden. Our community is ready to answer.