Spicus

Working at Spicus: 16 Reviews

i-9 job with maximum micromanagement

An I-9 job is contract labor. This was an actual job with posted hours and direct supervision. It should have had withholding taxes.I enjoyed the sessions with students and being able to give them feed back on their English. The hard part was posting evaluations while talking.

Pros

You get to meet people you would never meet in real life, like Korean company executives.

Cons

Push, push push

The students, flexible location

The students are definitely the best part about this job, as as the pay and the hours are awful. I'm only continuing to work here because I need a job that is allows for a flexible location. I average at about 7 dollars an hour because I can't get my managers to give me a full schedule. There are no opportunities for growth here, as they don't offer raises.

Pros

The students

Cons

poor schedule, poor pay

Spicus insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Good hours

This was a good environment. The pay is low but the work is easy. Your manager is good to talk to for any problems. Very easy to ask for time off in case of emergency

A wonderful working experience with management, colleagues, and clients.

You get paid with the full daily rate no matter how many classes you have for the day. They also have teaching minutes incentives. Another good thing, the daily American Accent Training and the regular up-trainings they provide and facilitate are really helpful.

Pros

Relaxed and friendly environment, good management, good support system/training

Cons

Salary

This company is a joke at best

They start you off well enough, but the constant barrage of 10-minute classes that start and end immediately upon one another gives you no breathing room at all. Teaching Koreans is rewarding because you can connect with them much better, but the slightest complaint at any time ends up with the removal of most of your classes without any communication from management at all. The pay is horribly low as well, so this isn't a company to stick with for the long haul.

Pros

The students

Cons

Low pay, bad communication

Good Experience, Horrible Pay

The experience of talking to Korean students is amazing. The shift managers are also nice and kind. Everything else sucks. The pay is really horrible.

Pros

Meet New People

Cons

Terrible pay

Accident prone workplace

The entire floor is full of rats. The cables were not properly connected and arranged. They don't mind if the workplace needs to be repaired. It's not a goodplace to work with.

Pros

Free shuttle

Cons

Low salary

It’s just ok

I worked for Spicus for a long time. The highlight is definitely the students. They are great. Management varies. It’s pretty easy to teach English to the students, but they don’t pay much and you won’t get many raises if you stay a long time.It’s pretty laid back, but they only pay once a month. That part isn’t great. It’s ok for a temporary fix, but don’t plan on staying. The hours are very difficult to deal with.

Pros

Little supervision, easy job

Cons

Hours, pay

Fun Place to work

I enjoy working with them and speaking to my Korean students everyday. It allows for flexible hours when you work from home and you have small children. .

A thrifty company with no career growth for employees.

It is one of the worst low paying esl company around. They apply so many rules like no using of cellphones allowed, no napping even you dont have a class in a particular time, EOP policy from such a shabby, small and dingy office room. And each time you're caught doing any of these, you will be given demerit points which are gonna be totalled every cut off period then deducted to your salary. In the first two months of probationary period of an employee, you are not entitled to recieve meal allowance and transpo allowance. All you get is basic salary and night differential of 1 hr. per day. Also the office doesnt have its own toilet so you have to go out and use the common toilet for the other companies who are sharing it, as in you need to exit the office room just to get there, and also it's very small and smelly. The company doesnt have a decent lounge, it's just a division at a corner sorrounded by partitions. Before you can go home, you have to finish all your class feedbacks before the end of your shift and they will not allow you to postpone it until tomorrow even you had killer class (the last class just the time at end of the shift). The company implements so many strict policies for a low salary to the teachers. The manager once instructed the employees who used to worked in call centers to invite the employees they know from those bpo companies to move to Spicus, and explain to them that it is not the money that matters to our company, but the education we share and the culture we learn. This is the kind of culture they practice in Spicus. So if you want to have a -

Pros

Teaching minutes incentive that has max limit. Free shuttle service.

Cons

Low salary, thrifty company laiden with a lot of petty rules, unpresentable office, incompetent htl.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Spicus?

Good if you're in-between jobs or a Student

I love the students and learning about Korean culture. The hours become tedious but you can kind of choose your own schedule. The pay is not good and there are no benefits or paid time off. It is by the hour, not salary. TL;DR Good job between jobs. NOT a permanent position

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Pay and boredom working from home

Tutuo

Excellent job. I don't want to really type this review its frustrating. I enjoyed my time at this company and recommend the job to others. Well done Spicus.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Low students

Independent Contractors

Management is great, students are professional and polite. Great Environment to work in. Classes are conversational and the material provides a wonderful opportunity to compare and contrast cultures.

Excellent short-term traininginternship

Spicus is a private company working with the Korean Government to train Government Officials throughout South Korea in English speaking, listening, writing, and business skills. I was hired as an assistant teaching intern for business skills and general English dialogue training for six weeks. The project was new, so there were some challenges keeping things organized, but overall it was a valuable experience and taught me a lot about working with adult students as opposed to children and adolescents. The curriculum was well laid-out and the students were very motivated and engaged. The management was also very flexible and worked with us on a very intimate, personal level to ensure we were offering the best education possible to the students.

Pros

Excellent curriculum, good accomoodations, valuable learning experience

Cons

Some problems with management, generally regarding Immigration/Visa issues

Management is good. Staff members are kind.

The company provides shuttle services from both gates. Training is excellent. Two weeks training with 200 pesos daily allowance. Two months signed contract for continued training. With my experience, it is fun to teach professional Koreans.

Pros

free shuttle

Cons

low income rate

Productive but fun atmosphere!

Arrive, sign into main tutor login, check schedule, pull up relevant browsers to assist in lesson, then call first student!

Pros

Good management, fun students, learn more than you teach

Cons

Hours, Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spicus. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Spicus with

Learn about Spicus in popular locations

• Spicus