SPOK Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Too Much Responsibility on the PMs
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2018
The unnecessary stress placed on the PMs is a very real issue due to the lack of resources for which the PMs can assign to a project. The management team is heavily focused on sales while we should place more emphasis on being able to support the current level of customers
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 13, 2017
Stressful, on-call, average 50 hrs/wk, juvenile behaviors, boys club, excessive f-bomb cussing, unprofessional. Monies available for sales teams to go to a warm sunny resort for "training" but none for raises for tech staff which are the driving force for the 99% customer service renewals. Clearly, tech staff is under appreciated and under valued. Enough with the free pizza and bagels. Try a raise instead.
poor management and high workload demands can impact your performance and quality of work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 10, 2017
Management was poor at this company in the PMO area. Very little support when customer complaints were recorded. Excessive workload negatively impacted quality and work performance. Many PM left the company and salaries were very low compared to position requirements and national average for project managers.
Pros
The biggest asset was the ability to work from home.
Cons
too many project assigned to allow for best qulity of work and performance.
Summary
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 12, 2017
this was y favorite internship. I loved it so much that I decided to do and extra year with them. They kept me busy and even though I was there youngest employee they never made me feel as if I was any less then any other employee.
Technical Support
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2017
We work a combination 40 hours a week plus one Daily On Call day per week. Weekends are rotated about 1 in every 5 or 6 weeks for a full weekend. Ticket counts are high. Documentation is poor or non-existent. Advancement in Technical Support is slow or non-existent. It is kind of the 80 - 20 rule with 80% of your tickets taking only a few minutes / hours to resolve. The 20% can take weeks, months or even years to resolve. We use remote support to do almost everything. We do a fair amount of QA type work as well gathering and analyzing logs, install patches and code changes. The work is very demanding the vast majority of customer are easy to work with. Prioritizing of tickets is difficult as many things come into play it is not just first in first out. We receive the tickets secondhand and much of the critical information is missing.
Evolving
Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNAugust 10, 2017
A company going through a lot of changes. Culturally can be difficult, not great training for new employees. Great benefits and fair pay; lots of great women leaders and supportive staff.
Overall, not too bad
Sales (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 26, 2017
I've met many good people and made many good friends at Spok. The pay and benefits are on par with health, dental, vision, etc. They have many long-term loyal customers that have stuck by them through the legacy companies. I've had some great managers and others that are serious micro-managers. For the most part, you have the freedom to do your job.
Pros
Good people, customers, pay, benefits, 401K match, stock purchase plan. President's Cup sales trip is very nice.
Cons
Disfunctional at times. Frequent fire drills from management creating redundant work
excellent work enviroment
lead shipping/receiving associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 26, 2017
great place to work-friendly people-awesome benefits-everyone woked as a team-never any pressure-questions always answered-training and help always availble
Not Applicable
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 10, 2017
Not Applicable Would not like to make a statement about Spok technologies. I cannot provide words that describe the work experience at Spok as the company went thru a major reorganization.
Great co-workers and fast paced work
Hosted Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 23, 2016
Insured 99.5% up-time on critical Hospital applications on both H/W and S/W on 80+ Windows Servers in AWS (Amazon Web Services)

How to build and deploy Windows 2008, 2012 and SQL 2008 & 2014 servers in the cloud. Setting up System and application monitoring, Network access, DNS (Route53) in AWS Environment.

Great co-workers and would always would help out in critical situations

Being only person on-call 7x24x365
Pros
Company get together's and free coffee
Cons
Being only person on call
Great people and cutting edge company
Manager of Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHSeptember 13, 2016
Very busy each day.
I learned about people and customers.
Managment was changing a lot but fair.
My co-workers were great.
Hardest part of the job was I had to be available 24x7.
Most enjoyable were the co-workers and customers.
Pros
Flexible environment and fair pay.
Cons
Work life balance in my role was a challenge.
Leader in directory lookup and critical care secure messaging
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 13, 2016
Fast paced environment
I learned a lot about managing customers and staff
Managment was good
Co-workers were always willing to help
Hardest part of the job was work/life balance
Best part of the job was the people and being able to provide great support to customers and get their satisfaction.
na
Senior Electronics Technician/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 5, 2015
Fun work place with a support management group. Great team to work with. I had a variety of duties daily and they were challenging and exciting. Colleagues considered to be a great group of people and team players. Overall the company and job itself as a whole was a laid back environment to work it and company to work for.
911 Field Engineer
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2015
Typical Days Work:
Travel to customer sites. Install computers into call taking positions. Configure networks and hosts for solution functionality.

What I learned:
Particulars of the workings of Spok's software solutions. IP ALI delivery.

Management:
Good group. Supportive.

My Co-workers:
Good group. Supportive

Hardest part of the job:
Military hardening

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Bringing the job in, on time
Pros
Supportive group
Spok Review
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 4, 2015
Good people. Somewhat disorganized since going public but likely to change for the better. Lots of hours, deadlines, awesome technology.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Lots of travel
Needing room to grow
Production Control Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 17, 2014
Day starts aroud 7:30am ends around 5:00pm most days. There are instances working longer hours.Operations Manage Receiving - Shipping - Customer Returns - Fulfillment - Inventory - Production - Payroll for my group - Saftey Team member - Lift truck Training and Records
Great Family atmosphere
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  DeskOctober 21, 2014
Overall this is a great place to work. There are a few managers who will focus on the negative, don't let them bring you down.