Spokane Public Schools

Spokane Public Schools Employee Reviews

Spokane Public Schools insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Productive and Organized

While working at Spokane School district I found my position to be mostly enjoyable and rewarding in that I was able to work with kids and help their families receive supportive services for their various needs. I appreciated that my supervisor was only a phone call away.

Pros

Great insurance and benefits package, additional opportunities for continuing education.

Cons

Management was not extremely open or transparent about job expectations, locations and job security

Almost all staff are trying to do the best thing for students, parents and staff

SPS always tries to do what is best for students, parents and staff. Administration in most cases will listen to ideas from any staff member. Being a larger organization, there are many types of jobs and you can find a position that is right for you.

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits, amazing coworkers and managers.

Cons

Union makes it impossible to get rid of the occasional bad apple

I just find it hard to work for scool district

I find it difficult to work to work there at times. But I stay working there. It is a school district. I'm working as a substitute. I float and work in different schools. I'm working in special education classrooms often.

Pros

It does have time off.

Cons

The school year is, 180 days

The work assignments are generally well planned and students are responsive.

Although it has been some time since I worked as a substitute teacher in Spokane Public Schools, I can say that students were generally respectful and welcoming. The lesson plans that I taught from were well planned. In situations where plans were not left for me, I was easily able to find materials in order to keep the class operating until a full time teacher returned.

Pros

Ample parking was available.

Cons

Some of the jobs were far from my home.

Admin allows dangerous and disruptive behavior from students

Teachers are blamed for "triggering" students who curse, yell, scream, stand on tables, flee the classroom, bully others, break items, steal, and physically attack adults and other students. Restorative justice is referenced by admin team but never actually used correctly.

Pros

Good pay compared to other districts

Cons

Administration and discipline

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

This was a very stable environment in my department but the upper leadership chose to leave the District

I worked approximately 9 hours a day starting at 6:00 am working through to 3:00 pm having the flexibility of my work schedule. The tasks became redundant without challenge where I was completing design assignment from 6-12 hours total time on a specific project, however with the multiple projects I managed and staff, the time frame for the design of the tasks sometimes would be spread out due to multi-tasking so it may take 2-3 days to complete a 6-12 hour design task.

Pros

Flexible work schedule

Cons

Upper leadreship left

Fun

They are easy to work with and very good people they will help you reach your goals and be successful. They reach out to you and a very good group pays

Poor Management

More focused on the bottom line than kids. disorganized and difficult to manage. work far exceeds the pay.high turn over. poor compliance with sped law

Worst management ever. Management are all bullies. They micro mange everything. They have no clue how to treat employees and have no clue how to run a business. Good old boy club. Waste of money at the top is unbelievable.

Great place to work. I have been there for a year and a half and hope to remain a teacher there for many more years to come. We receive a great amount of support, training and professional development and resources.

Too much regulation

My experience was good with staff and most administrators. The record keeping including grading and professional development are too much. And before and after school commitments make summers off a moot point.

Customer Service

This is my first job it also gave me an opportunity to show that i am a good worker and that i am reliable. Spokane Public School is an amazing job. The only thing i feel like i would chamge is giving us more hours.

Condescending, Unappreciative, Unethical Management

-Underpaid with no benefits with a bachelor's degree pertaining to the field and work experience -Manager was by far one of the worst humans morally -Working with kids was the best part of the job

Fun and nice but a little disorganized

Its a fun place to work. The classrooms are a little disorganized but other wise its a nice place to be the children are nice and the employees are understanding.

Decent place to work

Overall working for SPS was not too bad, though some managers really had no business being in the positions they were and have since moved on. Worked with a great team of people on the support side and still keep in touch with the old team. The support dept really cares about providing the best IT support they are able to and often would even go out of the way to help staff and teachers.

Great School System for Substituting

As a substitute teacher, all schools were well-prepared and welcoming. I accepted this position as I was unable to get a job as a full-time teacher and there was a lot of competition for shifts.

Pros

Great Schools

Cons

Limited Availability of Jobs/High Competition

A work in progress

This organization is in flux right now after numerous layoffs due to budget problems. Before this this organization was rarely pleasant to work at in general.

Great company to work for when you have school aged children.

Having work breaks/ vacation time off to spend with your own family was helpful. Most schools I worked at had great and knowledgeable staff. Was hard to keep budget on the payment plan.

Summers off

I learned a lot of work and life skills at this job. The community plays a huge part in your every day work. But the best part was summers off with my kids!

Wonderful Staff and Management

I worked as a substitute recess aid, crossing guard, playground supervisor etc. I loved working at the school more than any other job I have had in Spokane, but it just wasn't enough hours to be worth my time and energy. I left to work full time based on the needs of my family. I would have loved to stay at the school there just were no opportunities for me to advance or gain full time status. The job is important there just isn't enough money in the budget for the help schools really need.

Progressive Education

Spokane Public Schools is a large district with various workplace cultures. The school I was in had a rigorous, kind and accepting atmosphere. I loved working here for the people and students, but the lack of support from parents and guardians was difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spokane Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Spokane Public Schools Reviews by Location

• Spokane Public Schools
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?