Sporcle

Sporcle Employee Reviews

Sporcle is one the best jobs I've ever had
A few times a week, I go to the venue I host at and I ask people questions and they give me answers in return whilst playing music in between each question. It's 2-3 hours of pure fun and you really have a FANTASTIC public speaking job and interaction non-stop. This job has helped me get out of my comfort zone and challenge myself to ask people to sign up and be more interactive.
Throw you to the wolves and punish you when you don't get results.
The Job is fun but the management is amateurish, they make promises to promote your venue but then all they do is send you more posters. They don't pay you to promote (hand out flyers, post posters), they only pay you for the time you are hosting a show ($100 a night). I spent hours going from place to place promoting to School Teachers, Firehouses, Corporations, also making partnerships with local entertainment entities (for prizes) but it all just did not equal out.
Nice beer money
It's cool to host a show every week. You work remotely. No bad experiences so far. The money is low but I don't do it for the money. I guess that says something about the experience of working as a trivia host!
This is a great way to work on interpersonal skills, meet new people, and get paid to do it. I've been hosting two shows for the past year. It is pretty low maintenance and Sporcle provides everything you need to get started. Their on-call support is great, as well!
Excellent work culture
Sporcle is big enough to be known and visible in most large cities where we operate but small enough that most employees know each other thanks to the management and the mediums available to communicate with other employees. Hours are what you choose and you're given plenty of flexibility with how you prepare for your hosting duties.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Love love love!
Working with Sporcle has been a blast! I've loved every show I've done and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. The HQ team is fantastic and is very good at communicating with their hosts. Training was a breeze, and being able to create your show and connect with players is awesome.
Pros
independent work, fun environment
Great place to make mad money
Great place to work. Consider it a really fun side hustle but don't expect it to replace a 9-5 job. It's also a performance job so you have to be okay on the mic.
Casual, fun workplace
Sporcle's offices manage to be welcoming and casual, as well as highly productive. As long as you're comfortable communicating primarily via computer instead of face-to-face, the team is very collaborative and fun.
Awesome Company
Great company to work for! Good money and good management. They are always there to answer any questions and provide more training and feedback. It is a good part time extra money kind of job. If you had more venues you can make more. It's great.
Pros
Shows are yours to make your own, good pay, Benefits
Cons
Only part time
Hosts do everything
They take advantage of their Trivia Hosts and poorly compensate them for the plethora of skills required and despite Hosts being 80% of their business model.
Pros
Not a huge time committment
Cons
Compensation is very low
Very fun and great for making a name for yourself
Working for Sporcle was a great experience for me. I loved the people I worked with and hosting the games was a blast. You get to your venue ~45 minutes before showtime for setup and to get players signed up for the games. Each show consists of 2 games, each take about an hour. The most difficult part is keeping up with sometimes 20+ teams and entering their scores in while keeping the game on time. However, once you get used to it, it's a wonderful experience and you get to meet some awesome people.
Loved my time working with Sporcle.
Great people with excellent growth opportunity. Exciting workplace with lots of freedoms. Great fit for someone who is self motivated and is also willing to work within a group setting.
Pros
Fun and engaging work
By far the best job I've ever had
A day in the life of an MC: it's pretty glamorous. We head in to local bars and restaurants and provide patrons with a good time. We come in, play some music, get people involved, ask them some questions, and hand out prizes. A typical day at work lasts about 3 hours.

We usually work on our own a lot. Management is pretty casual, as far as daily interactions with employees. Management only ever contacts us in extreme emergencies. We see our managers at regular host meetings and at tournament shows.

We're a pretty eclectic group here at Sporcle. MCs come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and genders. What do we have in common? We love public speaking, enjoy entertaining, have a passion for music and for trivia. We've got to be able to think on our feet and multi-task. We've got to be able to fact check on the fly in some cases. We make playlists for every show, which gives us a chance to share our music with the public.

Hardest part of the job: Multi-tasking. Others may say it's performing in front of a bar full of people, but not for me. I love it. The hardest part is scoring all the slips handed in, while maintaining music levels, answering questions people have about the question at hand, fielding complaints about answers, and occasionally fact-checking those aforementioned complaints.

The best part of the job: Having a good time at your job. If you're enjoying yourself as an MC, then so is everyone who is playing. We forge relationships with the players at our shows. Since we host the same show every week, we see the same players each week. I count them as my friends.
 - more...
Pros
You can drink beer while you host, you can be casual and fun, you make friends with the people who come to your shows, you make pretty good money!
Cons
Sometimes people argue with you about answers, sometimes you run late because of sports, bar happenings, etc.