Sport Chalet Employee Reviews

A great place to learn multitasking.
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAApril 20, 2018
A typical day at work involved working with the vast majority of the departments in the store. Since my shifts were during the holiday season, there was much to do.

While at At Sport Chalet, I learned that I enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that involves many responsibilities.
Pros
Discounts on shoes.
Cons
Managers seemed fairly uncoordinated.
Okayq
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 4, 2018
It was cool to be cross trained in diff depts. The communication within manangement was not that great. They don't expect much out of you but it is a drag to work there.
Enjoyable And Productive
Apparel Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAMarch 31, 2018
Loved my time working here and felt that a lot was achieved in such a short time. I learned many new skills as well as gained experience in customer service.
Pros
Friendly Employees
This company is out of business
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  La Cañada Flintridge, CAMarch 19, 2018
This company is out of business. I would not recommend anyone apply for it. I am just typing this because I have to. I liked working there when I did.
Customer Service/Office Manager/Bookkeeper
Bookkeeper/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAMarch 14, 2018
When I worked at the Sport Chalet in Brea, I would come in and count the safe. I would also make sure the Cashier team had what they needed to start their shift. I would also assist the GM in the Office with Admin needs as well.
I was promoted to the Corporate Office where I was part of the customer service team. I would take care of any customer service needs - help customer place orders , locate stores that may have the product needed. Returns/Credits - basically any needs or customer issues was part of my daily job.
Pros
We were a big Sport Chalet Family
Cons
Did not get paid enough
Very diverse fun competitive environment
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 7, 2018
Sport chalet had been a great company to work for. It cared about the products it sold and its customers. A sad situation where the smaller shops get pushed out of the market by big box retailers.
Pros
Product discounts
Cons
Pay freeze
excellent retail sporting goods store
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2018
excellent retail sporting goods store with many specialized departments. many helpful and knowledgeable sales associates. unfortunately company closed.
Excellent
Customer Service Representative/Sales/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAFebruary 12, 2018
If working a opening shift, first our was maintenance of store and when store opened i were to check stock answer phones to my dept, assist customers with questions or purchases, make sure dept was clean at all times and shelves were properly stocked.
Pros
Work environment was always pleasant and meeting new customers.
Was a great company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Porter Ranch, CAFebruary 6, 2018
Started off as a great company but changed. The corprate overtaking really changed the culture. Made a lot of life long freinds working here so I wouldn't change a thing.
High demand with no compensation.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Management was constantly and thusly the company goal was as well. There's a big reason why Sport Chalet isn't around anymore. The company was poorly ran, and definitely took itself to the limit.
Worst manager I ever had
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 22, 2018
Horrible workplace culture, partly due to the average age of the employees. The manager micromanaged and nit-picked, making it extremely difficult to do my job. Morale was low and people hated coming to work.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
No communication about schedule changes, unprofessional atmosphere
They went out of business
Area Manager/Key Holder, etc (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJanuary 6, 2018
Since they went out of business this section is entirely useless. It seems like I have to fill this out in order to advance, so I'm trying to hit 150 c
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 6, 2017
While attending school I worked at Sport Chalet where I worked my way up to assistant department manager. Some of my duties were to assist customers with expert advice and service, restocked inventory and assisted manager with day-to-day operations. I was certified in mountaineering.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
No advancment
no longer in business
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CANovember 17, 2017
The company is no longer in business, it was ran in a very unprofessional manner, many of the managers were unskilled and untrained and inexperienced.
productive, great place to start
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 21, 2017
Sport Chalet is a great place, a place where we can take it to the limit. The hardest part of the job was unloading product from every delivery. Fun
Pros
lunch, discounts
Cons
no holidays off, stayed late to close especially on school nights
great place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 10, 2017
Well it was a great place to work when it was in business. A one stop shop for all outdoor activities. Can't really fine that anymore unless you go on the internet, guess thats why they went out of business
Was a great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZOctober 3, 2017
I absolutely loved my job. It was hard for me to leave. Had to relocate. Was very sad to hear they closed their doors. Would had gone back if I had the chance.
Pros
Great place to work.
wonderfull place to work,to bad its gone
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2017
a great place to work and learn.Bad upper management decisions and relying too much on winter sales doomed them.Made amazing friendships there,and will never forget how great this company was.
This place went out of business for a reason
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 5, 2017
Changed managers about every 4 months, very slow most of the time with the occasional crazy rushed days i.e black Friday. Good store for customers bad for employees, only positions that had ability to advance were managers.
Decent place to work at at the time
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 1, 2017
A typical day included loading/unloading trucks, stocking/organizing shelves, providing customer service in the shoes and outdoors sections; only stopped working there because they went out of business.