Sport Clips Employee Reviews

Found 1,085 reviews matching the search See all 1,115 reviews
Caring owners and a family atmosphere.
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNOctober 1, 2018
I have been with Sport Clips for 8 years and in the industry for 16 years. I started as a stylist and moved my way into management quickly. I have worked as an Area Coach in our market for 3 years. I in that time was involved with 23 new Sport Clips Grand Openings. I work with the Chelberg team doing recruitment and training and development.
Sport Clips changed my life. It opened my eyes to the potential that could be in this industry. I almost left completely before finding this great group of people. It makes me feel so good to be a part of a company that recognizes ad values hard work.
Pros
Recognition, Great Pay, Great Culture, Fast Paced, Great Clients
Cons
Family work life balance.
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your commitment to Sport Clips, and for making time to leave a review.

If you can be hired with a set schedule, this may be a good fit
AREA MANAGER (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 24, 2018
The titles I've personally held with Sport Clips did not allow a work/life balance. My current job does not have growth opportunities, my reason for leaving. On the up, the overall company has great values that most franchisees live by, however not all. Benefits are also not offered among all franchisees. The most enjoyable....the clients and the team members that believed in the culture!
Pros
The culture if followed and the awesome clients!
Cons
no benefits or opportunity for advancement
October 25, 2018

Thank you for your time with Sport Clips, and for your review. You are correct, not all store owners offer benefits, but many do. We would love for you to consider Sport Clips in the future. We have some new career paths and you might find a better schedule/fit at another location. Let us know if we can help!

Had a great manager for a bad company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 9, 2018
Very hard to reach your"goals" they raise to historically unreachable standards. Reports can show what is out of reach for the store and this effects your pay significantly if you don't succeed. No raises on hourly wage and this leads to dead-end job feelings and questioning why you are working for your boss's paycheck not your own. Been in management and was a disaster. No one is educated enough to see what this company is doing or just doesn't care and I refused to treat my girls poorly or pretend to agree with what they said was the"right"thing to do by not allowing breaks or time off. Hire women only, pretty ones at that, and if that leaves you with 3 employees, you work open to close 7 days a week.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
No breaks, stagnant pay, unfair commission minimums, discrimination against men
July 11, 2018

Thank you for sharing your concerns, and we are sorry to hear about your experience. It does not align with Sport Clips values or standards, and we apologize for that. We are sending this input to the appropriate party so it can be reviewed and addressed.

Great Place to work if you have flexibility in your life
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHOctober 20, 2018
Amazing place to work, awesome culture and coaches, room for advancements, helpful classes! Sometimes it could be a bit demanding, and Team Leaders could be a bit more understanding of women with families. "If you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of you"
Pros
Provided busy clientele, Amazing culture, paid benefits, good paying salary
Cons
Demanding schedule, worked most holidays unpaid, short staffed, micromanaged
October 22, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the culture and training, and are sad to hear that the store was not able to accommodate your schedule. To clarify, you were not paid holiday pay (I am assuming you would not have worked with no pay), which could vary from store to store due to different ownership. We wish you the best and hope you will consider us for the future. We have many locations in OH, maybe another location would be a better fit.

Bad management and owners
Assiatant Manager / stylist (Former Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLSeptember 30, 2018
I used to be an assistant manager at a sport clips. Worked there for about a year and a half, all of a sudden 10 days before Christmas myself and the manager had a falling out, the next morning I was fired with no explanation of why. Still to this day almost 2 years later the owners never called me or reached out to me, and I still have no idea why I was fired. To me that is awful management and ownership. Communication is key.
Pros
Awesome clients
Cons
No paid time off, no benefits
October 1, 2018

Thank you for your review and we apologize for the lack of communication. We sent your review to the appropriate party for review.

The clients are usually great and take good care of you!
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 6, 2018
Sport Clips has always been a good experience for me to work at. I am a reliable employee and for the most part, they worked with my schedule/my husbands schedule so I could also be home with my kids when needed. A lot is expected of you as an employee and if you don't meet goals consistently, you are usually required to go to training classes in hopes it will improve your performance. The only thing I would say is that if you work at a salon that tends to be slower then it can be hard to hit your numbers and goals. I LOVE that Sport Clips closes on 8 p.m. on the weekday, 6 p.m. on Saturdays, and 5 p.m. on Sundays. Usually only major holidays are closed.
Pros
good compensation, schedule, clients are usually great
Cons
highly competitive, fast-paced, hard to get time off
Great Place for newbies with few bills.
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTSeptember 19, 2018
Decent place to start in our industry but if you want clientele and opportunities to make money outside of a low hourly salary then don’t work here. They pay a slightly above minimum hourly wage that is enough to survive off of alongside tips from clients. It’s extremely difficult to make any bonus/commission because you must reach all of your biweekly goals to do so. Even when you do it’s not much compared to places where you can booth rent or work commission only.

I personally left because of some medical complications that interfered with my ability to advance. I was also extremely tired of dealing with the unprofessional behavior of my manager. I was always interested in working somewhere I could make more money and once I finally decided to leave, my manager wasn’t happen about that. Two days after putting my notice in she suddenly decided to ‘fire’ me which was hilarious. The unfortunate thing about franchises is that owners hire to their preference and the managers within the franchise where I worked were extremely unprofessional, uneducated, unethical, and selfish. I will never work for a franchise again. Especially considering I take home half of my profits working as an independent contractor now.
Cons
Low pay, difficult advancement, poor management
Fun place to work
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX and Killeen, TxOctober 15, 2018
I have a positive experience with Sport Clips. The Franchise owners that I worked for where great. I was part of their management team at the 3 locations I worked at. I learned how to perfect mens haircuts, how to be a positive and effective manager and learn about different sports. The hardest part of the job, was during rush hour and coming home to hair clippings on you. You definitely work for your pay.
Pros
great work environment, upper management and benefits.
Cons
rush hour, need to have extra support shoes and short hair clipping on to your clothing
October 17, 2018

Thank you for your review and for your time with Sport Clips. We hear your feedback about the hair and about supportive shoes! We have new uniforms coming out that help deflect hair clippings and you have the ability to wear comfortable, and supportive athletic shoes :) Please keep us in mind in t he future. We wish you the best!

Too corporate and terrible pay
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 25, 2018
My wonderful manager made this an ok job.
The flexible schedule was annoying,different hrs every week.
The good thing was that you could take some time off here and there.
Very relaxed atmosphere,even when it was busy.
Compensation was lousy,you can never make commission,no matter how hard you try.They promise that you can make more and more as time goes on.Problem is that the goals are to hard to
reach,so no comission ever.The good thing is you get hourly pay,the bad thing is you will only ever make hourly pay,you can do 15 MVPs a day and sell a few products,still that pay raise will be denied.Also,the huge amount of coupons you get and the free necktrims you do,don’t earn you good tips or any tip at all.
Pros
You can stay busy sometimes
Cons
Mandatory breaks so they don’t have to pay you for that time
July 31, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a great manager, but am sorry to hear that your overall experience was not good. We sent your input to the appropriate party for review.

It's your TEAM in store that makes or breaks the experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 26, 2018
After 5 years and 3 different owners I can honestly say it's the people you see daily that make it all worth while. You can do your job well and I promise you that empty promises will be made. If you manage a promotion the reality that you will be working 6-7 days a week 50+ hours is very real, so if you don't have pets, or a family your set. The owners are usually just about the numbers and don't give you the tools to properly support you, mainly because they have no background in the industry other than owning a franchise, they all just want the reward of being the best from Gordon Logan. But if you can find a good team you fit well with, it can make the fact that you're not meeting a far fetched standard to someone who only cares about the growth of their bank account an easier pill to swallow.
Pros
good culture in salon, decent pay
Cons
no support outside of store, not a company worth advancing
July 31, 2018

We apologize for your experienced at Sport Clips. Our expectation is that both our clients and team members receive a championship experience, and that the Sport Clips Values,Standards and Goals are being lived out in every store. We forwarded this information to the appropriate party for review.

Want to know more about Sport Clips?

Ask a question
I love this company!!
Industy Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXNovember 13, 2018
Sport Clips is such an AMAZING company that I strongly believe in. We have great leadership and fantastic culture. I look forward to going to work because it's like being around family. I travel and work with people in different roles with Sport Clips and everyone I encounter shares my opinions and passion for the company. There are so many opportunities and numerous career paths to pursue!
Pros
GREAT Culture!!!
November 14, 2018

Thank you! We appreciate you and are excited to see you grow!

Horrible place to work. Low pay. Incompetent manager
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 6, 2018
Nice brand new shop, great location. Doomed from day 1. Owners had zero salon experience, only fast food. And the manager they hired had 2 months experience, and always had to ask for help with haircuts, if it was even fixable when she got done.
Experienced stylists are not appreciated, but yet expected to teach new stylists for no extra pay. I’m sorry , but the manager should know how to do that!!
Also paychecks bouncing and always paid late. And drama like high school
Pros
Cons
No benefits, poor management, low hours, very low pay
September 10, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about your experience. Your feedback is valued and has been sent to the appropriate party. Please keep us in mind for the future. We have many locations throughout southern CA.

The owners really make a difference
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South ElginJuly 11, 2018
I've worked for 2 different store owners
One set of owners were very fair and I loved the company and coming to work transferred when it became too far to drive from my new home.

The other set of owners viewed everyone as a number and replaceable no raises in 2 years of work. Constantly changing the manager and drove the shop down hill. Great clients and was simple to obtain goals such as retail and back bar but the client count was out of our control there for creating unrealistic bonus structure.
Would definitely recommend the company as a whole just not the 2nd owner I worked for.
Pros
Fun environment great clients
Cons
Alot of weekend hours hard to spend time with kids
July 12, 2018

Thank you for proving feedback about your experience. We appreciate the time you spent with us, and we hope our paths cross in the future.

fast moving, relationship building enviorment
Stylist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 18, 2018
There is great opportunities for friendships and service. There is not a better feeling than knowing you get to help others feel more confident and successful. Co-workers are fun and become family. Each store has a unique culture and you have the ability to influence it. Great opportunities for bonuses and pay raises.
July 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate the time you spent with us and hope our paths will cross, again.

Absentee owners, owners were not educated on how to run a business
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 21, 2018
Owners were absent, did not offer guidance upon request, hired and fired employees weekly, promised benefits upon hiring but failed to receive them, took management off the floor for meetings during the busiest days
August 22, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time with us and forwarded the information to the appropriate party.

Best decision I made for my career!
Manger (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 16, 2018
I started with Sport clips about 4 years ago. First I was a stylist, then moved up to asst. manager and now I mange my own store. I wish at the beginning of my hair career someone told me about Sport clips because it was the best decision I ever made. Sport clips out pays anywhere else you go to cut hair. The work environment is fun & comfortable with lots of in store and out of store competions opportunites to win cool stuff and make more money! The management team really pours into there staff to help them grow and make the most of there dollar while on the clock! They really care about you as a person. So do yourself a favor and come work at Sport clips!
Pros
Amazing pay, fun culture
Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 30, 2018
Work in multiple positions, Janitorial work, handing out fliers. Time management, work culture was teamwork, changing locations, making a fair wage. Working on a career in the receptionist occupational industry.
Pros
Friendly
Love what you do!
Area coach (Current Employee) –  OklahomaNovember 14, 2018
Sport clips is amazing! Lots of careeer growth and advancement if that’s what you desire. The culture is everything, their values are ones to live by at work and in your personal life. They truly care about you and not just the business. They understand that if they take care of their people their people will take care of the business!
November 15, 2018

Thank you for your review and for your dedication to Sport Clips!

The lowest of all sweatshop barbershops
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  NjNovember 10, 2018
Sports Clips is a extremely horrible company to work for. Let's start with the amount of inconsistent hours they provide. There is no job security here. Your lucky if you can pay one bill with the salary and hours you receive. You are exploited as an employee, and unfortunately the government allows loopholes for the companies to exploit hard working Americans . They force you to take money out of your checks to fund the back bar! They call you to tell you not to come into work because "it's slow". So even if you have listed hours you can guarantee they will be taken away sometime during the week. They are always goin into the computer to change your times and to check your tips. There are no benefits. They expect you to use your car travel to other stores for emergencies or your talked down to like your not being a team player... This makes you loose time for travel (we get paid hourly) which we are not compensated for and it also puts employees at risk for accidents in which there is no coverage. Management knows nothing about discretion as they run their mouths too much. The only good thing is, the clients tip pretty well. Other than that I would not encourage anyone to work at this sweatshop or any other franchise sweatshop barbershop because stylist are being exploited. These franchises are like the charter school of the industry. They do not care about their employees. Everything is for the benefit of the stores and company. Their are no benefits for employees.
Pros
Tips only
Cons
Worker exploitation all the way around. They only care about CLIENTS and money
November 14, 2018

We appreciate your review and apologize for your experience. It does not reflect Sport Clips values or standards. We sent your feedback to the appropriate person to review. We wish you the best.

Best chain salon around
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Elkhorn, NESeptember 17, 2018
Sport Clips is the best salon I’ve ever worked for! The compensation plan is amazing they really do set you up to make really great money as long as you’re willing to put in the work! It’s a close family environment and everyone works together as a team!
Pros
Great management, compensation, team environment
Cons
Different schedule every week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight