Sport Clips Employee Reviews

bonus
STYLIST/MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
very low bonus opportunity. they don't offer sufficient bonuses, and very minimum chance to grow. no room for aadvancement. and low pay for employees. you also do not get raises.
Good
Stylist & store supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 19, 2018
You have to keep up with backbar & retail sales here. The better your numbers the more You will get paid and be able to keep your job. You have an option to make decent money here. You need to have good haircutting skills here.They do train here. However, depending on who own the company might determain on how you like your job. I've worked for 2 different owners. The Fred shearer group can be unfair with their employees at times. I've experienced this 1st hand. But overall a good company to work for.
Pros
Option to make decent money. Fun atmosphere.
Cons
Depending Management. Is a retail store. Must keep sales up for success
Honest Work with Great Co-Workers
Lead Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Viera, FLJune 18, 2018
Sport Clips was my first real 'job' that wasn't something on the side from my childhood. It taught me how to work and to enjoy working. My co-workers from nearly 5 years ago still keep in contact with me and hang out; haven't had so much fun since. I wholly recommend working here.
Clients
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 16, 2018
what made working there fun was the clientele. Plenty of the guys you will meet are awesome and genuinely care about how you are as a person. They are usually easy to talk to.
Pros
The sports.
Cons
You don’t meet your numbers you’re more than likely getting written up.
fun workplace, competitive
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 16, 2018
My experience working at Sport Clips was great. Management and clients were amazing as well as the girls I worked with. Pay was not so great, especially being there full time. It's really not enough. You will always be on your feet!!
Pros
always busy
Cons
short breaks
June 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing your input with us. We will share the information with the appropriate party, and hope our paths cross in the future.

terrible
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 15, 2018
terrible place to work its like a sweat shop always understaffed and never compensated for extra work done. this job is not enjoyable its terrible and sucks the life ut of you. the only thing that is nice is sometimes the clients can be great but other than that its terrible
June 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your experience does not reflect Sport Clips values or culture. We are sorry to hear this, and will let the appropriate parties know about your input. We do hope our paths cross in the future. Best of luck to you.

very busy fast paced salon
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 5, 2018
It was great working there I loved my staff and felt we all got along really good. I would definitely work there again as management. My team leader was truly amazing very giving and not too involved in the day to day operations. He very much gave me the autonomy to do my job ad with in 2 months of managing my team was able to hit 12k weekly.
Pros
very nice clientele
Cons
too many small kids
Stressful environment and Cut Throat Ownership
Store Manager/Barber (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 4, 2018
SportClips is a franchise so I can only speak of the 3 locations in Vancouver, WA. Ownership is VERY driven by numbers numbers numbers. It feels more like a "chop shop" where you are timed on your haircuts (needing to get clients out the door within 13 - 17 min). This leaves no time to ensure a quality haircut or service and stylists feel pressured so the communication between stylist and client are at a minimum. Breaks are very short if even given at all. Commission standards are set to benefit the owner rather than the stylist as the bar is set unrealistically high and only a very select few stylists can achieve. There are no benefits that a person could actually retire from and moving up in the company can only go so far. Its a dead end job.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare, impossible commission, minimum wage, stressful environment
June 6, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We shared this with the appropriate party and are sorry to hear about your experience. Our mission at Sport Clips is to provide a championship experience for both our clients and our team members. Again, thank you for your input, and I hope that our paths cross in the future.

Great Place to Work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 1, 2018
I have worked with Sport Clips for over a year and have enjoyed every minute! I went from a new stylist out of beauty school to an assistant manager within 6 months. I received paid training to help me advance. I have very involved owners and my manager has a shared interest in my success. We all share in the success of the store based on a profit-sharing model. I would recommend Sport Clips to any motivated person!
Pros
Great pay, Great tips, Great clients
Stayed busy overall. Great people
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARMay 29, 2018
Loved working the way I worked here. I love staying busy and being able to advance in the company. My family life suffered from my lack of being home on time ever. I would much rather have enjoyed set hours ad days for this company. Good motto and drive. Just the work hours and employees don't like to pick up shifts very often as a team should.
Pros
Avancement. Classes. Furtheromg your education. Flexible hours.
Cons
Not set hours. Or days.
To much drama for a work setting
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMay 28, 2018
I was constantly worried about helping the stylist with things because of the drama that occurred in our place of business it made me uncomfortable. I would not recommend this as a place to apply to unless you are a stylist and even then so if you are a good stylist you can probably get hired elsewhere for much better pay than here.
May 31, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As you know, our goal at Sport Clips is to provide a championship experience for our team members and our clients. I am sorry that your experience did not align, and I will send your feedback to the appropriate party.

Oppertunity for some
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 25, 2018
I liked the company it was the manager that I had issues with. I felt that she had a selfish mentality and wanted to do what made her look good in the eyes of the owners. I wanted to move up but the expectaions for that were based off of the numbers and amount of money you made and not if you were good for the business. I felt I had the potential to be a great leader and was willing to put the work in to become manager or assistant manager. But because I didn't do quick enough haircuts- because I like to make sure the client doesn't feel like I am trying to get the haircut finished before I started- it wasn't in the picture for me. The company does care about providing an overall great experience and I think most of the owners do as well. I may have just been in the wrong shop or the wrong industry...
Pros
fun work atmosphere
Love this place
Manager, Assistant, key holder, stylist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 21, 2018
Love love love our leadership. Competitive pay, fun games, and great team leaders. Lots of areas to grow as a stylist and move up. Lots of things they support like military, fire fighters, and police force.
Productive, fun, and safe environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDMay 20, 2018
The people working at sport clips were very inviting and made work a fun place to be while still getting work done. They were also inclusive with everyone who worked there.
Consistent environment
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMay 18, 2018
I enjoyed working at sports clips. Their training could be more in depth but over the course of me working there I really built my skills with men's cuts!
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Overwhelming at times
Somewhat fair
Receptionist Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 16, 2018
Stressful environment with low pay just barely over minimum wage with juggling bouncy hours. Management was two faced. Would promise you one thing and do another. Does not really care for there employees the way they should.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Depends on who your working for honestly
May 31, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I am sorry to hear about your experience and will send your feedback to the appropriate person. We wish you the best and hope our paths cross again.

excellent workplace in all aspects.
Hair Stylist and Barber (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 16, 2018
wonderful workplace in all aspects.. compensation, coworkers, continuing education, time off, benefits. I suggest this company to stylist that takes there job seriously,
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
Really good place to work
Stylist and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTMay 14, 2018
Not a bad place to work however if you're not fast or good enough you won't last. If your numbers and stats aren't good you get warnings and termination at anytime
Depending on management will determine how successful the store is and can be. Some team leaders are about numbers and some are about the quality of who works for them however, if numbers in the system can be fudged by store management and get away with it..thats corporate fraud. I've caught management stealing multiple times and went to the owner about it
Took proper procedures but nothing was done.
I do however love that there is always learning classes online and it helps you build to success
You just can't learn it from managers based on their judgment.
Pros
Perfect for just mens cuts
Cons
Lack of client and stylist relation for retention due to timed haircuts
Good entry job for cosmetology field
Stylist (Former Employee) –  cincinnati, ohioMay 13, 2018
Very great place to learn how to cut hair and learn the field of cosmetology, however no benefits nor insurance or anything. No true raises or way to build your profits other than your small commissions.
Pros
learning opportunity
Cons
no benefits or insurances
Sport Clips provides you with opportunities
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 9, 2018
Sport Clips Haircuts provides you with plenty of opportunities for professional development and training. It is a matter of how you use it to achieve OR not achieve your goals. They culture is fun while being very goal driven.
The hardest part of the job is maintaining a work life balance when you are full time with a short staff!
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting like-minded people who share your passion for excellence in the industry and who you can pal around with during work shifts. We spend the most time with our salon family so it is fun when you find those who work well together.
It is not an easy job by any means. You have to work hard and push yourself everyday, not bringing your A game is NOT an option!
Pros
contests, food, celebrating birthdays and anniversaries
Cons
scheduling and staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.9Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight